|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the lieutenant see on his walk through the town?
(a) He sees all the old symbols of the Church he has helped destroy.
(b) He sees many new shops and a lot of business.
(c) He sees Mr. Trench walking as though he had been drinking.
(d) He sees old women making the sign of the cross.
2. How does Greene set up the scene to show the despair of Father José?
(a) His nagging wife leaves him.
(b) Reading his Bible, he begins to weep.
(c) He awakes from a dream in which he had been saying the mass.
(d) Walking in the cemetery, he comes upon a family burying a small child.
3. How does the priest seek assistance in the city?
(a) He goes to an underground meeting of religious people.
(b) He looks for the sign of a fish on a house.
(c) He asks a grocer to give him some fruit.
(d) He meets a beggar and offers to pay him for his help buying wine.
4. What new information does the priest receive in the village?
(a) The police already took one hostage from Conceptión and murdered a man named Pedro Montez.
(b) That the police have given up looking for him.
(c) That the police will return the following morning to take another hostage.
(d) That the village will be completely blocked off within three days.
5. Where do the police take the man they do not recognize as being a priest?
(a) To the jail.
(b) To the Police Chief.
(c) Back to the cantina.
(d) To the hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the meeting between the priest and Brigetta?
2. What does Father José fear if he says a prayer at the graveside?
3. What is the priests reaction when Maria tells him Brigetta was one of the children he saw in the village?
4. How does the boy's father explain to his son the need to tell the stories?
5. Why does the woman he meets in the village not recognize him at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the pathetic scene that occurs just as he leaves the village.
2. After the priest on his mule crosses the river, what happens that is cause for alarm?
3. The mother who reads religious stories to her children is important in the story. How does Greene use this family to punctuate the fact that the common people want the Church returned?
4. Why is he not welcome in his home town?
5. Coral Fellows presents a reaction to the lieutenant. Describe the conversation with her father.
6. What does Greene reveal about the priest in his thoughts on his way home?
7. How does Greene show more of the priest's humility and contrition?
8. What is ominous about the parting of the priest and the mestizo?
9. Describe the characters of the Police Chief and the lieutenant as seen in the cantina.
10. Describe the scene in the town as Mr. Trench walks through it.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)