|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Chief of Police react when he sees the alcohol?
(a) He knows the seller so he pretends not to see.
(b) The Chief's face lights up at the sight of the alcohol and he sits down to join the drinkers.
(c) He confiscates the alcohol and leaves.
(d) He becomes angry because there is a prohibition on alcohol.
2. What does the lieutenant see on his walk through the town?
(a) He sees Mr. Trench walking as though he had been drinking.
(b) He sees many new shops and a lot of business.
(c) He sees old women making the sign of the cross.
(d) He sees all the old symbols of the Church he has helped destroy.
3. Talking to the mestizo, what does the priest learn?
(a) The police have not been that way as yet.
(b) The police are recruiting local men to help search for the priest.
(c) The police have taken twenty more hostages.
(d) The police are not heading for Carmen but are going to a larger city.
4. What prompts Mr. Trench to invite the stranger to his house?
(a) The stranger looks like a priest.
(b) The stranger has a long wait for his ship.
(c) The stranger mentions he has some brandy.
(d) The stranger says he has a British newspaper.
5. What does the priest hope to find in Carmen?
(a) He needs a replacement Bible for the one he left in Mr. Trench's house.
(b) He needs wine so he can say mass.
(c) He needs some of the clothes he left behind.
(d) He needs to find old family members who will help him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the condition of the priest as he heads home from the plantation?
2. What brings out a feeling of compassion in the priest for the mestizo?
3. What does Father José reply when the priest begs him to help him?
4. What surprises the lieutenant?
5. In trying to get away from the people chasing him, on whose door does the priest knock?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the priest turn to for help and is refused?
2. Describe the condition of Father José at that time.
3. Why has the priest come to the capital city where he sees the mestizo talking with the police?
4. What information does the Police chief have to impart to the lieutenant?
5. Describe the scene in the town as Mr. Trench walks through it.
6. Describe Captain Fellow's reaction to the charge against the priest.
7. The mother who reads religious stories to her children is important in the story. How does Greene use this family to punctuate the fact that the common people want the Church returned?
8. What happens when the priest accidentally bumps into a red shirt in the cantina?
9. What transpires in the police station the morning the stranger arrives in the town?
10. How does Greene show more of the priest's humility and contrition?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)