|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do they think the priest may have gone?
(a) To Mexico City where he would be difficult to find.
(b) Across the border into Texas.
(c) Vera Cruz or Tampico.
(d) Conceptión, the home of his parish, or Carmen where he was born.
2. What does the lieutenant tell Captain Fellows he is doing?
(a) He is looking for a good place to fish.
(b) He is taking a census.
(c) He is looking for a priest wanted for treason.
(d) He is campaigning for governor.
3. What announcement is made as the priest and the beverage seller are having a glass of wine?
(a) The hotel owner warns of an coming storm.
(b) The hotel owner says they cannot drink in his establishment.
(c) The hotel owner enters and says that the Chief of Police is coming.
(d) The hotel owner announces that his rates have just gone up.
4. What is Father José's final answer to the bereaved family?
(a) He says he is a coward and tells the family to leave him alone.
(b) He asks why they want to pray to a God who took their child.
(c) He says no but slips them a prayer written on paper.
(d) He tells them they are stupid to believe in God.
5. Talking to the mestizo, what does the priest learn?
(a) The police are recruiting local men to help search for the priest.
(b) The police have taken twenty more hostages.
(c) The police have not been that way as yet.
(d) The police are not heading for Carmen but are going to a larger city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new information does the priest receive in the village?
2. In the cantina, who is the man the priest bumps into?
3. What does the mestizo tell the priest?
4. After he realizes he cannot stay in the village, what promise does the priest make to the people?
5. What makes his escape doubly difficult?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conversation like inside Mr. Trench's house?
2. Describe the condition of Father José at that time.
3. Describe the general situation as the novel opens.
4. After the priest on his mule crosses the river, what happens that is cause for alarm?
5. In the village of the old man in a hammock, describe the request that is made of the priest.
6. Back at the banana plantation, how does Greene emphasize the character of Coral Fellows?
7. How does Captain Fellows present ambivalent feelings about the priest?
8. Who comes knocking at the door and what does he want?
9. Describe Captain Fellow's reaction to the charge against the priest.
10. Why has the priest come to the capital city where he sees the mestizo talking with the police?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)