|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the deadline for catching the priest?
(a) He must be caught before the Governor arrives.
(b) They must catch the priest in one week.
(c) The priest must be caught this month.
(d) They have until the end of the year to catch him.
2. After he realizes he cannot stay in the village, what promise does the priest make to the people?
(a) That he will return when it is safe for him to do so.
(b) That he will leave right after they give him a good meal.
(c) The priest says he will sleep for a few hours, wake early to hear confession and say mass and then leave before sunrise.
(d) That he will give himself up rather than have another hostage taken.
3. In spite of the fact that the priest ignored the mestizo, what does he do?
(a) He shouts louder.
(b) The man begins to follow him and eventually catches up to him.
(c) He turns around and goes back to his hammock.
(d) He takes a boat across the river.
4. What weakness does the priest have causes him more difficulty?
(a) He is an alcoholic.
(b) He is vain about his appearance.
(c) He is a kleptomaniac.
(d) He is addicted to sex.
5. What question from the mestizo alarms the priest?
(a) He asks if he is on the run from the police.
(b) He asks if he has any brandy.
(c) He asks if he is a priest.
(d) He asks what his business is in Carmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mestizo tell the priest?
2. How does the Chief of Police react when he sees the alcohol?
3. After the brandy is taken, what does the priest do?
4. What does Father José reply when the priest begs him to help him?
5. How does the priest rationalize his guilt over the murdered hostage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the characters of the Police Chief and the lieutenant as seen in the cantina.
2. Back at the banana plantation, how does Greene emphasize the character of Coral Fellows?
3. What is the conversation like inside Mr. Trench's house?
4. In the village of the old man in a hammock, describe the request that is made of the priest.
5. Describe the condition of Father José at that time.
6. What is the pathetic scene that occurs just as he leaves the village.
7. What feeling does Greene evoke with the introduction of the mestizo?
8. Why has the priest come to the capital city where he sees the mestizo talking with the police?
9. What happens when the priest accidentally bumps into a red shirt in the cantina?
10. The mother who reads religious stories to her children is important in the story. How does Greene use this family to punctuate the fact that the common people want the Church returned?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)