|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they stop at a small hut, why does the priest not sleep?
(a) There are too many mosquitos and he cannot sleep.
(b) He keeps on listening for the soldier and the police.
(c) The priest is very suspicious of the mestizo man and forces himself to stay awake.
(d) The mestizo snores loudly and keeps waking him up.
2. In the cantina, who is the man the priest bumps into?
(a) The mestizo.
(b) The Chief of Police.
(c) The lieutenant.
(d) A red shirt.
3. On his morning walk, what does Mr. Trench hear?
(a) Horses racing into town.
(b) A man speaking English.
(c) A monkey chattering in the trees.
(d) The sound of an explosion.
4. What is happening to the priests in this Mexican state?
(a) The priests are given twenty-four hours to leave the country.
(b) The priests that have not escaped have been hunted down and killed.
(c) The priests are being sent to the mine quarries.
(d) Priests are being sent to concentration camps.
5. How does the mestizo attempt to get the priest to admit that he is a priest?
(a) He says he is a good Christian and asks the priest to say a prayer.
(b) He quotes scripture to see if the priest will respond.
(c) He tells the priest about another priest he helped to excape.
(d) He condemns the Church for all its inadequacies.
6. What is the deadline for catching the priest?
(a) They have until the end of the year to catch him.
(b) The priest must be caught this month.
(c) They must catch the priest in one week.
(d) He must be caught before the Governor arrives.
7. Why does Coral tell her father she would not allow the lieutenant to search the place?
(a) She tells him she wanted to make the lieutenant angry.
(b) She tells him they had no right to do it.
(c) She tells him she had forgotten to hide the last batch of whisky.
(d) She tells him that she did not trust the lieutenant.
8. How do the people respond to his reappearance in the village?
(a) They rush to greet him, crying because they thought he was dead.
(b) They act suspiciously as though they might call the police.
(c) Only a few people gather at a distance and look at him, and no one comes to kiss his hand.
(d) They turn their backs on him and pretend he is not there.
9. How many priests has the lieutenant already executed?
(a) He has killed twenty priests and only this one remains.
(b) He has never gotten close enough to a priest to kill one.
(c) He has shot one priest and wants to get another one soon.
(d) He has shot five but several escaped including the bishop, who is safely in Mexico City.
10. What is the Police Chief's concern?
(a) The Governor has been on his case because they suspect a priest is on the run in their state.
(b) The Governor is still waiting for the paperwork that should have already been finished.
(c) He is a religious man and does not like the new laws.
(d) The lieutenant is not serious about finding the runaway priest.
11. What surprises the lieutenant?
(a) That the last priest was not shot weeks ago.
(b) That the Governor even knows they are there.
(c) That the Police Chief is so calm.
(d) That the Police Chief entered his office without knocking.
12. Talking to the mestizo, what does the priest learn?
(a) The police are not heading for Carmen but are going to a larger city.
(b) The police have taken twenty more hostages.
(c) The police have not been that way as yet.
(d) The police are recruiting local men to help search for the priest.
13. What does Captain Fellows tell the policeman that satisfies him?
(a) He heard there was a priest in Carmen.
(b) Nobody ever comes out that far from the town.
(c) He hates the Church and would not harbor a priest.
(d) He has not seen the priest, but he will report if he does.
14. What does Mr. Trench regret when he sees a man selling mineral water?
(a) It is practically the only thing to drink in this prohibition state.
(b) That he did not get into that business when he had the chance.
(c) That he has no money to buy some.
(d) That only the rich can afford to drink the mineral water.
15. What is Greene's continued contrast of the two priests?
(a) One has a house and the other one does not.
(b) One obeys the law and the other one does not.
(c) One has compassion and the other one has only fear.
(d) They are both afraid of death, but the priest still tries to act as a priest while Father José does not.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Trench feel when the man leaves with the boy?
2. What does Mr. Trench's guest say about the town?
3. Why does the lieutenant like to think about the priest who is still living?
4. How does the boy's father explain to his son the need to tell the stories?
5. What is the story about that a mother tells her children?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)