|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the priest earn money?
(a) Teaching in the local school.
(b) Making wine for the village.
(c) Charging for masses, baptisms, and hearing confessions.
(d) Entertaining with stories on Friday nights.
2. How does the priest rationalize his guilt over the murdered hostage?
(a) He decides that the sin is on the part of the police because he has done nothing wrong.
(b) He tells himself that the man who was killed probably had angered God.
(c) He drinks himself into oblivion.
(d) He recalls that the Church has taught him it is every man's first duty to save his own soul.
3. What surprises the lieutenant as they talk inside the hut?
(a) That the priest offers him a large bribe to let him go.
(b) That the priest has a daughter.
(c) That the priest has decided to be a martyr.
(d) That the priest is a whiskey priest.
4. What is the Police Chief's concern?
(a) The lieutenant is not serious about finding the runaway priest.
(b) The Governor has been on his case because they suspect a priest is on the run in their state.
(c) The Governor is still waiting for the paperwork that should have already been finished.
(d) He is a religious man and does not like the new laws.
5. How does Greene introduce the lieutenant?
(a) He is at the firing range, practicing his shooting.
(b) He is questioning the boy.
(c) He comes to Mr. Trench's house to ask about the stranger.
(d) He is sitting at his desk dealing with the prisoners when the Chief of Police enters the office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the priest hear as he crosses the river on his mule?
2. How does the mestizo attempt to get the priest to admit that he is a priest?
3. Why does the boy insist that the stranger go with him?
4. How do the people respond to his reappearance in the village?
5. How does the boy's father explain to his son the need to tell the stories?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)