|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the priest leaves the woman and her dead son in the cemetery, what does he find when he returns?
(a) The boy has revived and the woman is crying tears of joy.
(b) The woman had dug a grave with her bare hands.
(c) The woman is gone and wolves are attacking the boy's body.
(d) The woman is gone and the body is laid in front of a cross.
2. What does Captain Fellows learn about the policeman?
(a) That he is looking for land to buy.
(b) That he is a lieutenant.
(c) That he has a warrant for the captain's arrest.
(d) That he comes from Oaxaca.
3. What does Father José reply when the priest begs him to help him?
(a) Father José agrees but the police arrive at that moment.
(b) Father José pretends he does not understand.
(c) Father José agrees, seeing this a chance to redeem himself.
(d) Father José refuses and tells him to go away.
4. What does the priest find when he reaches the plantation?
(a) The police are there waiting for him.
(b) Only the girl is there.
(c) His mule has returned there, too.
(d) It has been abandoned.
5. After he finds a place by an old man, what does he hear?
(a) The old man thinks his family had him arrested to get his money.
(b) The old man blames the lieutenant for all his troubles.
(c) The man begins talking angrily about priests, blaming them for the misery in his life.
(d) The old man thinks gringos are responsible for all the problems in Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the police take the man they do not recognize as being a priest?
2. What prompts Mr. Trench to invite the stranger to his house?
3. How many priests has the lieutenant already executed?
4. What is the secret sin of the running priest?
5. Why does Coral tell her father she would not allow the lieutenant to search the place?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)