|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Captain Fellows goes to the barn to find the priest, what does he say?
(a) He asks what he had been doing with his daughter.
(b) He tells him he can stay as long as he likes.
(c) He tells him he has no business here.
(d) He asks if he can get anything for the priest.
2. What does the lieutenant see on his walk through the town?
(a) He sees old women making the sign of the cross.
(b) He sees Mr. Trench walking as though he had been drinking.
(c) He sees many new shops and a lot of business.
(d) He sees all the old symbols of the Church he has helped destroy.
3. What does the mestizo want from the priest to do?
(a) To give the Mestizo money for not turning him in.
(b) To give the mestizo another mule.
(c) To return to Carmen.
(d) To go to the dying Yankee and give last rites.
4. Where is the former priest who renounced his faith and married his housekeeper?
(a) Father José is working in the police station.
(b) Father José is hiding in the jungle.
(c) Father José is sitting in his house reflecting on his poor life.
(d) Father José is teaching in the school.
5. How does the priest rationalize his guilt over the murdered hostage?
(a) He recalls that the Church has taught him it is every man's first duty to save his own soul.
(b) He drinks himself into oblivion.
(c) He tells himself that the man who was killed probably had angered God.
(d) He decides that the sin is on the part of the police because he has done nothing wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the seller of alcoholic beverages offer the priest?
2. What does the priest admit in the prison?
3. What new information does the priest receive in the village?
4. What brings out a feeling of compassion in the priest for the mestizo?
5. How does the mestizo attempt to get the priest to admit that he is a priest?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)