|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Captain Fellows eventually realize that Coral has done?
(a) She has hidden her boyfriend on their property.
(b) She has hidden the priest on their property.
(c) She has painted religious symbols on the walls of the barn.
(d) She has been making whisky in the shed.
2. How is the priest treated in the village?
(a) Like a suspicious stranger.
(b) With respect, people kneeling and kissing his hand.
(c) Like an outcast.
(d) Like any ordinary citizen.
3. What did one former priest do about which the lieutenant likes to think?
(a) One priest conformed to the Governor's law, renounced his faith and married his housekeeper.
(b) He ran into a swamp and was eaten by crocodiles.
(c) He committed suicide rather than be killed by the police.
(d) He refused to exit a church that the lieutenant had set on fire.
4. How does the priest seek assistance in the city?
(a) He looks for the sign of a fish on a house.
(b) He goes to an underground meeting of religious people.
(c) He asks a grocer to give him some fruit.
(d) He meets a beggar and offers to pay him for his help buying wine.
5. What does Father José fear if he says a prayer at the graveside?
(a) The authroities will put him in jail for blasphemy.
(b) His police protection will be taken away if he performs a religious act.
(c) He will get in trouble, lose his pension or even be killed for practicing his religion, which he has renounced.
(d) He will be mocked by the lieutenant for practicing a religion he renounced.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the condition of the priest as he heads home from the plantation?
2. Why does the Police Chief think it will be difficult to identify the priest?
3. After the brandy is taken, what does the priest do?
4. What is Greene's continued contrast of the two priests?
5. How does Mr. Trench feel when the man leaves with the boy?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)