|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the lieutenant like to think about the priest who is still living?
(a) He serves as an example the lieutenant can use to tell the children.
(b) He has disgraced the Church and the people have all turned against him.
(c) He is pleased most of all by this man, a living example to all of the weakness of faith.
(d) He is awaiting execution and the lieutenant will get to hang him.
2. What is the situation as the novel opens?
(a) It is rumored that religion is about to be outlawed.
(b) Mexican people are revolting over the prohibition against religion.
(c) Religion has been outlawed in a rural Mexican state and priests are considered traitors.
(d) Debates are held about the influence of religion.
3. What is the secret sin of the running priest?
(a) He is addicted to heroin.
(b) He fathered a child with one of his parishioners.
(c) He embezzled money from the church coffers.
(d) He murdered a policeman who was about to arrest him.
4. How does Mr. Trench feel when the man leaves with the boy?
(a) As the man leaves Mr. Trench is lonely.
(b) He is curious about the strange man.
(c) He is happy for the brandy the man left behind.
(d) He feels relieved that the stranger is gone.
5. What does Mr. Trench's guest say about the town?
(a) The man says this place was very nice when they still had God.
(b) He says it is too hot and dusty.
(c) He says that he has never been there before.
(d) He says the church was once very beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the last priest on the run from the police?
2. What name do the people give to priests who smell of alcohol?
3. Where is the former priest who renounced his faith and married his housekeeper?
4. What does the stranger leave behind at Mr. Trench's house?
5. For what is the American wanted?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)