|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many priests has the lieutenant already executed?
(a) He has killed twenty priests and only this one remains.
(b) He has shot five but several escaped including the bishop, who is safely in Mexico City.
(c) He has never gotten close enough to a priest to kill one.
(d) He has shot one priest and wants to get another one soon.
2. What weakness does the priest have causes him more difficulty?
(a) He is an alcoholic.
(b) He is a kleptomaniac.
(c) He is vain about his appearance.
(d) He is addicted to sex.
3. What prompts Mr. Trench to invite the stranger to his house?
(a) The stranger says he has a British newspaper.
(b) The stranger looks like a priest.
(c) The stranger has a long wait for his ship.
(d) The stranger mentions he has some brandy.
4. Why does the lieutenant like to think about the priest who is still living?
(a) He has disgraced the Church and the people have all turned against him.
(b) He serves as an example the lieutenant can use to tell the children.
(c) He is awaiting execution and the lieutenant will get to hang him.
(d) He is pleased most of all by this man, a living example to all of the weakness of faith.
5. What is happening to the priests in this Mexican state?
(a) Priests are being sent to concentration camps.
(b) The priests are being sent to the mine quarries.
(c) The priests are given twenty-four hours to leave the country.
(d) The priests that have not escaped have been hunted down and killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Trench notice about the environment in the town?
2. What does Mr. Trench's guest say about the town?
3. On his morning walk, what does Mr. Trench hear?
4. For what is the American wanted?
5. What does the stranger leave behind at Mr. Trench's house?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)