|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Trench notice about the environment in the town?
(a) The jungle is encroaching on the village.
(b) It looks like a tropical garden.
(c) The land is dusty and hot with buzzards flying overhead.
(d) It is cold and there are no birds.
2. Why does the Police Chief think it will be difficult to identify the priest?
(a) The only picture they have of him is very old.
(b) No one will tell them what he looks like.
(c) He will be heavily disguised.
(d) They have no photo of him at all.
3. How does Greene introduce the lieutenant?
(a) He is at the firing range, practicing his shooting.
(b) He comes to Mr. Trench's house to ask about the stranger.
(c) He is sitting at his desk dealing with the prisoners when the Chief of Police enters the office.
(d) He is questioning the boy.
4. What did one former priest do about which the lieutenant likes to think?
(a) He committed suicide rather than be killed by the police.
(b) One priest conformed to the Governor's law, renounced his faith and married his housekeeper.
(c) He refused to exit a church that the lieutenant had set on fire.
(d) He ran into a swamp and was eaten by crocodiles.
5. What is the situation as the novel opens?
(a) Mexican people are revolting over the prohibition against religion.
(b) Religion has been outlawed in a rural Mexican state and priests are considered traitors.
(c) Debates are held about the influence of religion.
(d) It is rumored that religion is about to be outlawed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the secret sin of the running priest?
2. How does the man try to get out of going with the boy?
3. Where do they put the old photo of the priest?
4. What does the stranger leave behind at Mr. Trench's house?
5. What is the Police Chief's concern?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)