|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priest mean when he says he won't be returning the way he came?
(a) He has a plan to go south instead of north.
(b) He thinks the Yankee knows a way to escape.
(c) He is resigned to his death once he reaches the village.
(d) He is planning to kill the mestizo before they get to the village.
2. What surprises the lieutenant?
(a) That the last priest was not shot weeks ago.
(b) That the Police Chief entered his office without knocking.
(c) That the Governor even knows they are there.
(d) That the Police Chief is so calm.
3. Back at the plantation after the priest is gone, what is Coral doing?
(a) Coral is hiding things the priest left behind.
(b) Coral is cooking because her mother is sick.
(c) Coral is having a school lesson with her mother.
(d) Coral is out looking for the fugitive American.
4. What agitates the Yankee while the priest is speaking with him?
(a) He is agitated because he has a gun in his back.
(b) He is agitated because he does not trust the mestizo.
(c) He is agitated because he is not Catholic.
(d) He is agitated because the priest will not take his gun or a knife.
5. What is Greene's continued contrast of the two priests?
(a) One has compassion and the other one has only fear.
(b) One obeys the law and the other one does not.
(c) One has a house and the other one does not.
(d) They are both afraid of death, but the priest still tries to act as a priest while Father José does not.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act of generosity does the priest perform on the way to the village?
2. Why does the boy insist that the stranger go with him?
3. When the priest sends back the guide and the mules, why is the mestizo mockingly concerned.
4. What do the police suspect about the priest?
5. What does Mr. Trench's guest say about the town?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)