Part 1, Chapter 1
• The scene is a rural Mexican state where the Church and priests have been outlawed.
• One priest remains and he is on the run, trying to escape the persecution.
• The priest is a man of many sins for which he desperately seeks redemption.
• Mr. Trench presents a view of the town environment.
• The quarrels at the water vendor's stand in front of the church shows that banning the church has not brought peace and love.
• Mr. Trench overhears a man speaking English and longs for a conversation.
• The stranger has a bottle of illegal brandy and they go to Mr. Trench's house.
• While they are drinking, a boy comes to the house thinking the stranger is a doctor.
• The stranger is finally persuaded to go with the boy to see his ill mother.
Part 1, Chapter 2
• In the police station, the Chief of Police tells the lieutenant...
This section contains 1,870 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)