|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ is troubled about Iraq after the briefings on the covert plan in Cheney's office.
2. Franks briefs the Joint Chiefs of Staff whose turf wars in ___________ he has criticized.
3. ____________ is the strength of any military plan, says Powell, and advises Franks to keep the force as small as is practical.
4. Clinton officials brief the incoming Bush staff on enforcing ___________ zones in Iraq.
5. Michael Hayden still downplays the WMD in Iraq as _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the advantages of the new Hybrid Plan that Franks proposes during the war planning process?
2. What does Hayden foresee about the conflict in Iraq that will cause strain to the NSA?
3. What does Bush impress upon Gerson when he is writing a new speech for the President?
4. What do the Marines worry about in relation to conflict in Iraq?
5. What is the goal of the line-by-line review by Rice of the draft National Security Presidential Directive?
6. What does Ari Fleischer say to the press in response to the story in the NY Times that Bush has highly detailed war plans?
7. What is Wolfowitz's strategy that Colin Powell believes to be absurd when he advocates it?
8. What does Armitage push Powell to do as Powell is on edge with the military planning becoming dominant?
9. What does Blair think about the threat of WMD in relation to Iraq and other countries?
10. Why are few Iraqis willing to help the United States with spying efforts, even though the monetary compensation is so high?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times in the book it seems that people who have never been in a war are making decisions about the war plans, without any idea of the repercussions.
Part 1: Why do you think the people who made decisions about the war were confident in their ideas, even though they had little, if any, experience of war?
Part 2: Do you think soldiers and generals should make all war decisions as they have been in war? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might the people who make decisions about war be missing as they do not have experience in the battles themselves?
Essay Topic 2
At times, it seemed that Bush may have been saying one thing to the public and doing something else covertly.
Part 1: Do you think the President should keep secrets from the public? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Bush decided to play things close to the vest?
Part 3: Had Bush been upfront about his plans, how might the American public have reacted?
Essay Topic 3
While this is not surprising, the transition from one administration to another was a bit rocky - from Clinton to Bush.
Part 1: Why do you think transitions from one administration to another are so difficult?
Part 2: How might the transition have been made smoother, in your opinion?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to avoid rocky transitions in government? Why or why not?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)