|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ____________ document states that Iraq has chemical and biological weapons, but then telegraphs doubts in this assertion.
2. Cheney demands that Saddam's ______________ is the only issue and a debate ensures
3. Success in Afghanistan increases CIA Director ______________ standing with President Bush.
4. The CIA has identified three major threats to security at the time of Bush's beginnings in office. What is NOT one of these threats?
5. This chapter reinforces how vital ________ efforts are and shows one member of intelligence able to read Bush's signals.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are few Iraqis willing to help the United States with spying efforts, even though the monetary compensation is so high?
2. What is the concern from Rove that Bush dismisses as he feels it should not be a concern for him?
3. What does Bush reaffirm when he comes home on September 1?
4. What is Cheney sure will happen if they demand Saddam submit full WMD accounting?
5. What does Blair think about the threat of WMD in relation to Iraq and other countries?
6. What is the false story that Bush will use in order to sell his war plans to the government, the people, and the world?
7. What does Saul tell Cheney about Saddam which proves to be a sobering fact for the Vice President?
8. What does Ari Fleischer say to the press in response to the story in the NY Times that Bush has highly detailed war plans?
9. What does the Central Intelligence Agency never really come out and say categorically?
10. What are the two paths that Powell sees will happen at this point of the Iraq conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At some points of the book, it seems that the President may have been swayed to a certain position due to information received by those closest to him, and he immediately trusted this information.
Part 1: Do you think the President should trust everything that he hears from those in his Cabinet or in Congress? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why would people close to the President give him less than accurate information?
Part 3: Do you think that the President has the information he needed to make decisions that were best for the country?
Essay Topic 2
While this is not surprising, the transition from one administration to another was a bit rocky - from Clinton to Bush.
Part 1: Why do you think transitions from one administration to another are so difficult?
Part 2: How might the transition have been made smoother, in your opinion?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to avoid rocky transitions in government? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The goal of the United States at the start of the conflict is to take control of Iraq as quickly as possible, but while it seems possible, the insurgents seem to be unwilling to give up their positions.
Part 1: Why do you think the United States was confident the war would be over quickly?
Part 2: Why do you think the U.S. wanted the war to be as quick as possible?
Part 3: Do you think the Cabinet and other leaders believed the war was going to still be in progress right now? Why or why not?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)