|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Old Man do as the rescue workers bring Steven down the mountain?
2. What has occurred in Josie's drawing, A Mountain of Trouble?
3. Why does Josie want to go back home?
4. What does Hollis do to temporarily fix the broken window in the kitchen?
5. What color is the sweater that Hollis hides with the fishing pole?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Hollis draw her Tenth Picture, Hollis Woods, with her eyes closed?
2. Why does Hollis not actually draw the Eleventh Picture, On the Mountain?
3. What does Hollis draw for the Eighth Picture, End of Summer, when the Regans tell her they want her to be part of their family?
4. What is Steven's response when Hollis tells him the reason why she did not want to go back to the Regans' house?
5. Describe Hollis' encounter with Steven in the woods as she is walking to make a phone call to Beatrice.
6. How does Hollis feel when she sees Old Man's Mountain as they near the summer house, and what does she say to the Old Man in her head?
7. Why does Hollis run away from the Regans' home after the truck accident and refuse to see any of them again?
8. What clues does Hollis have that Steven is playing Santa Claus for her and Josie in the summer house?
9. Why does Hollis not want to think about leaving the summer house even though Josie's mental capacities are shrinking and she is homesick?
10. What does Hollis see for the very first time as she looks at her pictures from the Summer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Hollis. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
PICTURES OF HOLLIS WOODS is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)