|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of food does Beatrice bring for dinner?
2. What river runs by the Regan house that Hollis loves?
3. What do Josie and Hollis eat every night?
4. Why is Hollis especially concerned about leaving Josie?
5. Which of the following colored pencils does Hollis NOT use to draw the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much does Beatrice's praise of her art affect Hollis?
2. Why does Hollis tell Josie that they are going on an adventure to the Regans' Summer house?
3. What dream is Beatrice about to realize and what does Hollis do diligently to show that she wants to stay with Josie?
4. What does the Old Man tell Hollis in the Fifth Picture, The Old Man, that no one has ever said to her before about herself or her art?
5. Why does Hollis have a difficult time trying to draw a picture of Steven playing checkers with her on the day they met?
6. How does Josie help boost Hollis' self esteem as she gives her a hat to wear to the movies?
7. What role does Steven play in Hollis' life in Chapter 1?
8. When does Hollis first learn that the Regans want to adopt her, and what does she plan to do when that happens?
9. How do Hollis' fears that Steven minds that the Old Man likes her represent foreshadowing for the story?
10. How does Hollis first meet Steven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patricia Reilly Giff is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The need to belong takes on an almost human persona in this book. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)