|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Josie Cahill holding when Hollis first sees her?
2. What does Hollis do with the picture she draws of the woman in #4?
3. Which of the following colored pencils does Hollis NOT use to draw the river?
4. What does Hollis tell the Old Man that Hollis Woods is?
5. Where does Hollis plan to announce to the world that she has a family before the Summer ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Hollis preoccupied with the Regans even while she is living with Josie?
2. Why did Hollis' first grade teacher put a big "X" on her "W" picture?
3. How is Hollis' joy at earning four dollars squelched when she sees the Mustard Woman at Josie's house?
4. What does Hollis' desire to go back to the day she met Steven and the Old Man mean/
5. How much does Beatrice's praise of her art affect Hollis?
6. What does Hollis realize she will have to do in order to stay with Josie?
7. Why does Hollis have a difficult time trying to draw a picture of Steven playing checkers with her on the day they met?
8. How do Hollis and Josie avoid the Mustard Woman when she comes to Josie's to check up on Hollis?
9. What role does Steven play in Hollis' life in Chapter 1?
10. What dream is Beatrice about to realize and what does Hollis do diligently to show that she wants to stay with Josie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mrs. Regan. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)