|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hollis happy because she hears the Old Man and Izzy talking about ______________________.
2. What was written on the note found with Hollis when she was a newborn?
3. Izzy and the Old Man consider Hollis to be ____________________.
4. Where does the Regan family eat the fish that Hollis caught?
5. When Hollis sees the water in #23, it reminds her of fishing with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arrangements has the Mustard Woman made for Hollis with a woman named Eleanor?
2. What special gift does the Old Man give to Hollis one night?
3. What does Hollis tell the Old Man about where she was left as an infant and how does Hollis try to picture the place in her mind?
4. How do Hollis' fears that Steven minds that the Old Man likes her represent foreshadowing for the story?
5. What is the premise of PICTURES OF HOLLIS WOODS?
6. Describe Hollis' first fishing experience.
7. What does Hollis' desire to go back to the day she met Steven and the Old Man mean/
8. What dream is Beatrice about to realize and what does Hollis do diligently to show that she wants to stay with Josie?
9. How is Hollis preoccupied with the Regans even while she is living with Josie?
10. How does Hollis first meet Steven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Regan. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of family. Identify at least two instances about family in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)