|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Hollis and Josie decide to do while listening to Christmas carols on the radio?
(a) Wrap presents.
(b) Decorate for Christmas.
(c) Have hot chocolate.
(d) Bake Christmas cookies.
2. Which of the following is NOT something Hollis does when she and Josie get into the house?
(a) Makes a phone call.
(b) Turns on the lights.
(c) Turns on the heat.
(d) Builds a fire.
3. Hollis recalls the morning she left Branches and her worst moment when she realizes she would never see __________________ again.
(a) her drawing box.
(b) her bedroom.
(c) Old Man's Mountain.
(d) the lake.
4. What do Josie and Hollis make for Christmas Eve dinner?
(a) Oatmeal cookies and milk.
(b) Apple pancakes and milk.
(c) Potato chips and cheese slices.
(d) Chicken noodle soup and orange juice.
5. What does Hollis find hanging on the doorknob of the shed?
(a) A little wreath.
(b) A bag of groceries.
(c) A camera strap.
(d) Steven's sweater.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the sweater that Hollis hides with the fishing pole?
2. What makes Josie sad on Christmas?
3. Hollis recalls Beatrice saying that ____________ is a language one has to learn to speak.
4. Hollis wonders what the Old Man would think about ________________________.
5. How long will Hollis and Josie be able to stay in the Summer house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hollis not ask Josie about the green sweater now hanging in the shed but which Hollis had left at the riverbank the day she saw someone on the opposite bank?
2. Describe how Hollis quickly prepares for her escape trip with Josie.
3. How does Hollis feel when she sees Old Man's Mountain as they near the summer house, and what does she say to the Old Man in her head?
4. Why does Hollis run away from the Regans' home after the truck accident and refuse to see any of them again?
5. What things does Hollis say to the Regans in her head as she prepares for the escape trip with Josie?
6. What startles Hollis when she tries to fish on the riverbank?
7. How do Hollis and Josie prepare for Christmas Eve at the summer house?
8. To what does Hollis compare her worries of trying to fit into the Regan family?
9. Describe Hollis' encounter with Steven in the woods as she is walking to make a phone call to Beatrice.
10. What gifts do Hollis and Josie give each other for Christmas?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)