|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Josie offer to do for Hollis if Hollis will stay?
(a) Teach her to paint.
(b) Teach her to carve.
(c) Teach her to cook.
(d) Teach her to drive.
2. Who is Steven's mother?
3. What is Josie Cahill holding when Hollis first sees her?
(a) A knife.
(b) A leash.
(c) A Popsicle.
(d) A suitcase.
4. Beatrice wants to take a trip to the Southwest to paint the desert and __________________.
(b) Native American people.
(d) adobe houses.
5. Where is Beatrice going the next morning?
(d) New Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. Izzy and the Old Man consider Hollis to be ____________________.
2. Josie and Beatrice compliment Hollis on her ____________________.
3. When Hollis sees the water in #23, it reminds her of fishing with whom?
4. What is Josie working on in Chapter 5?
5. What gift does the Old Man tell Hollis she has?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Hollis preoccupied with the Regans even while she is living with Josie?
2. What role does Steven play in Hollis' life in Chapter 1?
3. How does Hollis' concern for the fighting between the Old Man and Steven foreshadow what Hollis will feel about it later in the book?
4. What arrangements has the Mustard Woman made for Hollis with a woman named Eleanor?
5. What is featured in Hollis' Third Picture, Fishing in the Delaware River?
6. What are Hollis and Steven doing when Steven reveals how his father feels about Hollis and she has to remind herself not to think about the "W" picture in her backpack?
7. How does Josie help boost Hollis' self esteem as she gives her a hat to wear to the movies?
8. How much does Beatrice's praise of her art affect Hollis?
9. What does Hollis tell the Old Man about where she was left as an infant and how does Hollis try to picture the place in her mind?
10. Why does Hollis tell Josie that they are going on an adventure to the Regans' Summer house?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)