|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long will Hollis and Josie be able to stay in the Summer house?
(a) Just the Winter and Spring.
(b) Just for the Winter.
(c) Just for Autumn and Winter.
(d) Just Summer and Fall.
2. What happens to Josie when she ventures outside?
(a) She is hit by an icicle.
(b) She slips on ice.
(c) She gets bewildered.
(d) She falls on the steps.
3. Who is kissing Steven's cheeks in Hollis' drawing, End of Summer?
(a) Hollis and Izzy.
(b) Izzy and the Old Man.
(c) Hollis and Josie.
(d) Hollis and the Old Man.
4. Where does Hollis hide her fishing pole?
(a) In the shed.
(b) In the holly bushes.
(c) Under a log.
(d) Behind a tree.
5. What name does Steven call Holly which makes the Old Man mad?
(a) Sister Crane.
(b) Sister Seaweed.
(c) Sister Moon.
(d) Sister Loon.
6. How does Hollis gain entrance into the Regans' Summer house?
(a) She breaks a window.
(b) She has a key.
(c) She broke the lock on the door.
(d) She has the code number.
7. Hollis wonders what the Old Man would think about ________________________.
(a) her spending Christmas in his house.
(b) Josie's statues.
(d) her new drawings.
8. What do Hollis and Josie decide to do while listening to Christmas carols on the radio?
(a) Have hot chocolate.
(b) Wrap presents.
(c) Decorate for Christmas.
(d) Bake Christmas cookies.
9. What does Hollis ask Steven regarding his fights with the Old Man?
(a) If the Old Man has ever hit Steven.
(b) If the Old Man is sick.
(c) If it is her fault that they fight so much.
(d) If Steven picks fights on purpose.
10. What does the Old Man do as the rescue workers bring Steven down the mountain?
(a) He hikes up the mountain to help.
(b) He fights back tears.
(c) He paces and cries.
(d) He clenches his jaw.
11. In Chapter 14, Hollis says that the Christmas decorations are _______________________.
(a) not as much as she had wanted.
(b) not great but they'll have to do.
(c) just fine for no more time than they had to make them.
(d) more beautiful than anything Hollis has seen.
12. What does Hollis imagine when she thinks of reuniting with the Regans?
(a) Hugging them.
(b) Having a picnic with them.
(c) Watching TV with them.
(d) Having dinner with them.
13. How can Hollis tell that Josie is homesick?
(a) Her eyes tear up while singing carols.
(b) She talks about Beatrice.
(c) She sighs heavily.
(d) She stares out the window a long time.
14. Josie says that she wishes Hollis could ______________________.
(a) take her back home.
(b) call Beatrice.
(c) see herself like Josie sees her.
(d) learn to drive.
15. Who rescued Hollis when she was injured on the mountain?
(a) The Mustard Woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Josie give to Hollis for Christmas?
2. Why is Steven happier than he has been all Summer?
3. Why does Hollis refuse to go home with Mr. Regan?
4. Why is the girl in Hollis' Thirteenth Picture, the Conference Room not Hollis?
5. What does Steven ask Hollis if she will do with him next Summer?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)