|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hollis want to announce from the top of the mountain?
(a) That she wants to know her biological mother.
(b) That she is in love.
(c) That there is a new Hollis.
(d) That she is happy to be alive.
2. Hollis recalls Beatrice saying that ____________ is a language one has to learn to speak.
3. Why does Hollis leave the Regans' home the day after the accident?
(a) She thinks she has messed up the family.
(b) She wants to hitchhike to California.
(c) They think she is nothing but trouble.
(d) Another family wants to adopt her.
4. How did Steven know Hollis was at the Summer house?
(a) The Regans knew she had disappeared and he knew she loved that house.
(b) He had come to the house for a quiet place to write and saw her.
(c) He had remembered the promise they made before she left.
(d) He saw her when he had come to check the water pipes.
5. What is written on the cake shown in Hollis' drawing, Izzy's Cake?
(a) You're one of us now.
(b) Welcome Hollis Regan.
(c) Welcome to the family, Holly.
(d) The daughter we never had.
6. What name does Steven call Holly which makes the Old Man mad?
(a) Sister Loon.
(b) Sister Crane.
(c) Sister Moon.
(d) Sister Seaweed.
7. Where had Izzy and the Old Man gone on the last day Hollis was with the family?
(a) Antique shopping.
(b) New car shopping.
(c) Furniture shopping.
(d) A wedding.
8. Who is hugging Hollis in her drawing, End of Summer?
(a) The Old Man.
(c) The Mustard Woman.
9. Hollis dresses really warm and goes outside to _________________.
(a) string Christmas lights.
(c) build a snowman.
(d) shovel the walk.
10. Why does Hollis know that she must call Beatrice?
(a) To enroll in her art class.
(b) To beg her to come home and stay with Josie.
(c) To ask her to wire some money for them.
(d) To tell her that Josie is ill.
11. Where does Josie want to go on Christmas?
12. What sound does Hollis hear as she stands outside in the cold?
(a) A motorboat.
(b) A snowmobile.
(c) A motorcycle.
(d) A chain saw.
13. Hollis remembers that Steven once said that in modern times Santa Claus would come _________________ instead of a sleigh.
(a) in a Hummer.
(b) on a snowmobile.
(c) in a limousine.
(d) on a motorcycle.
14. Who was the person Hollis ran away from two weeks after what happened in Branches?
(a) The Lemon Lady.
(b) The Stucco Woman.
(c) The Mustard Woman.
(d) The Brick Man.
15. What does Hollis think about the Regans one morning?
(a) If they think of her like she thinks of them.
(b) If they are in Hawaii for Christmas.
(c) If they forgive her for starting that fire.
(d) If they will punish her for staying in the Summer house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hollis park Josie's car?
2. How can Hollis tell that Josie is homesick?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Hollis does when she and Josie get into the house?
4. What day is it in Chapter 12?
5. What does Hollis imagine when she thinks of reuniting with the Regans?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)