|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lymon's last name?
2. Who tells Boy Willie the story of the way that Boy Charles was killed?
3. In the aftermath of the theft, where was Lymon shot?
4. What type of song does Boy Willie play on the piano?
5. What does Berniece do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wining Boy say that ghosts have affected his life?
2. What is revealed about Wining Boy's life as a musician while married?
3. How do Boy Willie and Lymon end up in Pittsburgh?
4. How does Berniece react when she sees Boy Willie attempting to move the piano?
5. Why has Avery shown up at the Charles home?
6. What happens when Boy Willie and Lymon attempt to move the piano for its potential buyer?
7. How does Boy Willie respond to Doaker's intrusion as he is attempting to move the piano?
8. What does Boy Willie claim is the history of the railroad known as the Yellow Dog line?
9. After his failed date, what gift does Lymon give to Berniece, and what is her response to the gesture?
10. What was Ophelia's reaction to the trade between her husband and Nolander?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of this play has special significance within the meaning of the play. What do you think is the true "piano lesson," and why do you think August Wilson chose to title his play this way?
Essay Topic 2
Storytelling proves to be one of the most powerful elements of information transfer throughout the play. Choose one story that was told during the course of the play, explain the story's significance, and discuss how this story is an example of the importance of storytelling in the Charles family culture.
Essay Topic 3
This history of slavery within the Charles family repeats itself throughout the text. Briefly explain the ways that slavery has affected the Charles family in the past, the present, and the future?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)