|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the men attempting to steal?
2. How does the Ghost of the Yellow Dog kill the mob members as revenge for Boy Charles' death?
3. Which character becomes very emotional and attacks Boy Willie upon seeing the piano moved?
4. Which family traded the piano to the Sutter family for slaves?
5. What is the name of Berniece's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Boy Willie and Lymon end up in Pittsburgh?
2. How does Berniece find out that Boy Willie intends to remove the piano that day, and how does she respond?
3. Why did Berneice stop playing the piano as a child?
4. Why does Avery believe that Berniece should start a choir in her home?
5. Why does Berniece send Maretha to the store on the day that Boy Willie intends to remove the piano?
6. When Boy Willie and Lymon realize that they cannot move the piano, how do they respond?
7. Why has Avery shown up at the Charles home?
8. What realization does Boy Willie make when he hears his heart beating as a "black man's heart"?
9. What happens when Boy Willie comes home from his date with Grace?
10. What does Berniece ask Avery to do after Maretha has seen Sutter's ghost, and how does Avery respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The text of "The Piano Lesson" is presented as a play rather than straight prose. What reasons do you think August Wilson had to present his story this way? What was gained in the form of stage writing? What was lost?
Essay Topic 2
This history of slavery within the Charles family repeats itself throughout the text. Briefly explain the ways that slavery has affected the Charles family in the past, the present, and the future?
Essay Topic 3
Because of the history of slavery within the Charles family, there is another prevalent theme of revenge, since the men in the Charles family desire to steal back what was stolen from them by the Sutters.
Part 1. Briefly describe one scene of revenge within the play.
Part 2. Explain why the Charles family member acting on revenge thought that this would earn them back what was stolen.
Part 3. Explain the outcome of the revengeful act. In your opinion. Was it worth the risk of being caught?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)