|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wining Boy carry with him that has a weight as heavy as a piano?
2. Who offers herself to Wining Boy as repayment for helping bail a family member out of jail?
3. What name was the ghost repeating?
4. Whose death does Berniece accuse Boy Willie of having a hand in?
5. Whose ghost does Berniece think she has seen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Berneice stop playing the piano as a child?
2. What happens when Boy Willie and Lymon attempt to move the piano for its potential buyer?
3. Why does Avery believe that Berniece should start a choir in her home?
4. What kind of fight does Boy Willie get into with Sutter's ghost?
5. Whose ghost does Berniece think that she sees, and what does it tell her?
6. What were the effects of the lumber theft that the men in the play were involved in?
7. What does Boy Willie claim is the history of the railroad known as the Yellow Dog line?
8. What confrontation do Boy Willie and Berniece get into as Boy Willie watches Berniece comb Maretha's hair?
9. Why does Berniece send Maretha to the store on the day that Boy Willie intends to remove the piano?
10. How did the piano come into the possession of the Charles family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Berniece finds herself in many romantic relationships throughout the course of the play. Briefly describe the three romantic relationships that she has and list the positive and negative aspects of each relationship in Berniece's life.
Essay Topic 2
Boy Willie and Berniece have an equal claim to the piano in the play. Explain the reason why the siblings have come into possession of the piano. Compare/contrast the way that both of the siblings view the piano's place in their past and their future.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of supernatural beings within the Charles home is particularly strong in relation to Sutter's ghost.
Part 1. Give three examples of moments in which one or more members of the Charles family feels the presence of Sutter's spirit in their home.
Part 2. Briefly explain the reasons suggested for Sutter's stalking of the Charles family, and particularly, his spirit's apparent presence within the piano.
Part 3. Explain the various ways that members of the Charles family attempt to get rid of Sutter's spirit.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)