|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who purchases clothing from Wining Boy?
2. Which character can be seen ironing his uniform?
3. What were the men attempting to steal?
4. Boy Willie complains that Lymon is obsessed with what?
5. Before the dream in which Avery was told to change his profession, what did he do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Boy Willie tease Doaker about his profession?
2. When Wining Boy arrives at Doaker's home, he wants to know what is happening with Boy Willie and his sales. What does Doaker tell him?
3. Whose ghost does Berniece think that she sees, and what does it tell her?
4. What role does Berniece play in the exorcism of Sutter's ghost?
5. What kind of fight does Boy Willie get into with Sutter's ghost?
6. After a long day selling watermelons and trying to pawn clothing, how do the men in the Charles family settle down to relax?
7. What happens when Boy Willie and Lymon attempt to move the piano for its potential buyer?
8. What were the effects of the lumber theft that the men in the play were involved in?
9. What connection does Doaker make between travel and happiness?
10. What happens when Doaker emerges to see Boy Willie and Lymon attempting to move the piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Berniece finds herself in many romantic relationships throughout the course of the play. Briefly describe the three romantic relationships that she has and list the positive and negative aspects of each relationship in Berniece's life.
Essay Topic 2
The Ghosts of Yellow Dog are important characters within the recurring theme of revenge.
Part 1. Explain the way that the Ghosts of Yellow Dog came to be.
Part 2. Discuss the way that the Ghosts of Yellow Dog exacted their revenge.
Part 3. Briefly discuss the various ways that the townsfolk viewed the acts that were considered to be the work of the Ghosts of Yellow Dog.
Essay Topic 3
Because of the history of slavery within the Charles family, there is another prevalent theme of revenge, since the men in the Charles family desire to steal back what was stolen from them by the Sutters.
Part 1. Briefly describe one scene of revenge within the play.
Part 2. Explain why the Charles family member acting on revenge thought that this would earn them back what was stolen.
Part 3. Explain the outcome of the revengeful act. In your opinion. Was it worth the risk of being caught?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)