|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the aftermath of the theft, where was Lymon shot?
2. What does Berniece do for a living?
3. What type of song does Boy Willie play on the piano?
4. What is the name of Wining Boy's late ex-wife?
5. Who does the grocery shopping in the Charles home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of encounter does Boy Willie explain that he has had with the piano's potential buyer on his way home from Grace's?
2. Why does Boy Willie tease Doaker about his profession?
3. Why does Berniece send Maretha to the store on the day that Boy Willie intends to remove the piano?
4. What role does Berniece play in the exorcism of Sutter's ghost?
5. What happens when Boy Willie continues to insist that he be told the name of the prospective buyer for the piano?
6. When Berniece and Lymon's conversation turns to Avery, what advice does Lymon give to Berniece about the relationship?
7. How did Sutter attempt to reconcile the trade with Nolander and keep his wife happy? What was the reaction?
8. What happens when Doaker emerges to see Boy Willie and Lymon attempting to move the piano?
9. What happens when Wining Boy goes to the city to pawn his belongings?
10. What conflict arises between the siblings surrounding the future of the piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The piano itself is arguably the strongest symbol in the entire play. Explain the history of the piano and briefly discuss why the physical structure of the piano can be seen as a symbol within the Charles family.
Essay Topic 2
Music is another way for the Charles family to preserve their family history.
Part 1. Create a list of three scenes within the play during which music is present.
Part 2. Explain why the music of the play acts as a symbol of the Charles family history.
Part 3. Choose two characters from the Charles family and compare / contrast their relationship to music. This comparison could be regarding the piano music or the family singing.
Essay Topic 3
The Charles family spends a lot of time arguing about their family legacy. Choose one instance in which the Charles family attempts to discuss their family history. What object is used as a symbol for their family's legacy? How is that object treated by the family? How does the treatment of the object reflect the family history it will leave behind?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)