|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Ghost of the Yellow Dog kill the mob members as revenge for Boy Charles' death?
2. What does Boy Willie think is the most significant part of the piano?
3. When Wining Boy returns from the city, where has Berniece gone?
4. Which character has a change of heart after seeing Sutter's ghost and now believes that the piano should be sold?
5. Who offers herself to Wining Boy as repayment for helping bail a family member out of jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict arises between the siblings surrounding the future of the piano?
2. How does Berniece find out that Boy Willie intends to remove the piano that day, and how does she respond?
3. What confrontation do Boy Willie and Berniece get into as Boy Willie watches Berniece comb Maretha's hair?
4. How did Sutter attempt to reconcile the trade with Nolander and keep his wife happy? What was the reaction?
5. After his failed date, what gift does Lymon give to Berniece, and what is her response to the gesture?
6. When Boy Willie and Lymon realize that they cannot move the piano, how do they respond?
7. How do Boy Willie and Lymon end up in Pittsburgh?
8. What happens when Berniece threatens Boy Willie with the gun?
9. What reaction does the family have to Boy Willie's sudden arrival at their doorstep?
10. What does Lymon tell Berniece he is looking for in a woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many examples of prisons throughout this play, which are figurative, symbolic, and literal. Choose two examples of imprisonments that the characters find themselves in and compare/contrast the impact of the imprisonment in one of the character's lives. Briefly explain what that character does to fight against the various imprisonments in his or her life.
Essay Topic 2
The exorcism in the final scene of the play proves to be a powerful symbol for the way that the family has chosen to move forward. Create a list of three things that the exorcism symbolizes in the play. Choose two characters and explain how their roles were pivotal in the success of the final exorcism.
Essay Topic 3
Music is another way for the Charles family to preserve their family history.
Part 1. Create a list of three scenes within the play during which music is present.
Part 2. Explain why the music of the play acts as a symbol of the Charles family history.
Part 3. Choose two characters from the Charles family and compare / contrast their relationship to music. This comparison could be regarding the piano music or the family singing.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)