|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the story about Boy Charles' death, what does the family hear Maretha doing at the end of the first act?
2. How does Sutter kill Boy Charles?
3. What was Wining Boy's occupation while he was married?
4. Which of the following characters is NOT involved in stealing the piano from the Sutter home?
5. What sound is heard by the characters who attempt to move the piano?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection does Doaker make between travel and happiness?
2. What religious rationalization does Boy WIllie have for the revenge he is seeking against the Sutter family?
3. What happens when Berniece threatens Boy Willie with the gun?
4. What story does Boy Willie tell his sister about the dog he had as a child?
5. How do Boy Willie and Lymon end up in Pittsburgh?
6. What does Boy Willie believe about the laws of the white man?
7. What happens between Boy Willie and Grace once they left to return to her apartment?
8. What type of encounter does Boy Willie explain that he has had with the piano's potential buyer on his way home from Grace's?
9. What happens when Boy Willie and Lymon attempt to move the piano for its potential buyer?
10. How did Sutter react to the disappearance of his prized piano?
Essay Topic 1
The exorcism in the final scene of the play proves to be a powerful symbol for the way that the family has chosen to move forward. Create a list of three things that the exorcism symbolizes in the play. Choose two characters and explain how their roles were pivotal in the success of the final exorcism.
Essay Topic 2
Because of the history of slavery within the Charles family, there is another prevalent theme of revenge, since the men in the Charles family desire to steal back what was stolen from them by the Sutters.
Part 1. Briefly describe one scene of revenge within the play.
Part 2. Explain why the Charles family member acting on revenge thought that this would earn them back what was stolen.
Part 3. Explain the outcome of the revengeful act. In your opinion. Was it worth the risk of being caught?
Essay Topic 3
Music is another way for the Charles family to preserve their family history.
Part 1. Create a list of three scenes within the play during which music is present.
Part 2. Explain why the music of the play acts as a symbol of the Charles family history.
Part 3. Choose two characters from the Charles family and compare / contrast their relationship to music. This comparison could be regarding the piano music or the family singing.
This section contains 1,831 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)