|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Ghost of the Yellow Dog kill the mob members as revenge for Boy Charles' death?
2. How did Sutter's wife feel about the trade of her slaves for the piano?
3. Which man was NOT involved in the theft that landed Boy Willie in prison?
4. Which member of the Sutter family desperately wanted the piano?
5. After Lymon comes home from work and changes, what does he want to go into the city looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Doaker emerges to see Boy Willie and Lymon attempting to move the piano?
2. Why did Berneice stop playing the piano as a child?
3. How does Avery begin his exorcism of Sutter's ghost?
4. Why does Berniece send Maretha to the store on the day that Boy Willie intends to remove the piano?
5. What kind of fight does Boy Willie get into with Sutter's ghost?
6. When Boy Willie and Lymon realize that they cannot move the piano, how do they respond?
7. How does Wining Boy say that ghosts have affected his life?
8. How do Boy Willie and Lymon end up in Pittsburgh?
9. Why does Boy Willie tease Doaker about his profession?
10. What is revealed about Wining Boy's life as a musician while married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The exorcism in the final scene of the play proves to be a powerful symbol for the way that the family has chosen to move forward. Create a list of three things that the exorcism symbolizes in the play. Choose two characters and explain how their roles were pivotal in the success of the final exorcism.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of supernatural beings within the Charles home is particularly strong in relation to Sutter's ghost.
Part 1. Give three examples of moments in which one or more members of the Charles family feels the presence of Sutter's spirit in their home.
Part 2. Briefly explain the reasons suggested for Sutter's stalking of the Charles family, and particularly, his spirit's apparent presence within the piano.
Part 3. Explain the various ways that members of the Charles family attempt to get rid of Sutter's spirit.
Essay Topic 3
The Ghosts of Yellow Dog are important characters within the recurring theme of revenge.
Part 1. Explain the way that the Ghosts of Yellow Dog came to be.
Part 2. Discuss the way that the Ghosts of Yellow Dog exacted their revenge.
Part 3. Briefly discuss the various ways that the townsfolk viewed the acts that were considered to be the work of the Ghosts of Yellow Dog.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)