|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much fruit does Boy Willie tell Avery he can take free of charge?
2. Who teases Doaker about the women who are after him?
3. Who offers herself to Wining Boy as repayment for helping bail a family member out of jail?
4. What color is the ghost wearing?
5. Who purchases clothing from Wining Boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict arises between the siblings surrounding the future of the piano?
2. How does Berniece respond when she happens upon Boy Willie and Grace?
3. How did Avery get the idea to switch his profession to preacher?
4. What happens when Boy Willie and Lymon attempt to move the piano for its potential buyer?
5. Why did Berneice stop playing the piano as a child?
6. Why does Avery believe that Berniece should start a choir in her home?
7. What does Wining Boy reveal about Lymon's father and Wining Boy's relationship with Lymon's mother?
8. When Avery arrives with his Bible to begin the exorcism, what information does he give Doaker about the state of the new church?
9. What connection does Doaker make between travel and happiness?
10. What happens when Boy Willie continues to insist that he be told the name of the prospective buyer for the piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This history of slavery within the Charles family repeats itself throughout the text. Briefly explain the ways that slavery has affected the Charles family in the past, the present, and the future?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of supernatural beings within the Charles home is particularly strong in relation to Sutter's ghost.
Part 1. Give three examples of moments in which one or more members of the Charles family feels the presence of Sutter's spirit in their home.
Part 2. Briefly explain the reasons suggested for Sutter's stalking of the Charles family, and particularly, his spirit's apparent presence within the piano.
Part 3. Explain the various ways that members of the Charles family attempt to get rid of Sutter's spirit.
Essay Topic 3
The Charles family spends a lot of time arguing about their family legacy. Choose one instance in which the Charles family attempts to discuss their family history. What object is used as a symbol for their family's legacy? How is that object treated by the family? How does the treatment of the object reflect the family history it will leave behind?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)