|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doaker believe he sees Sutter's ghost doing, which he refuses to tell his sister about?
(a) Playing the piano.
(b) Chasing after Boy Willie.
(c) Staring at Berniece while she slept.
(d) Following Maretha to school.
2. Which character admits to being on the run from the police?
(b) Uncle Doaker.
(d) Boy Willie.
3. What beverage do the men drink while discussing Parchman Prison?
4. Which member of the Sutter family desperately wanted the piano?
5. How does the Ghost of the Yellow Dog kill the mob members as revenge for Boy Charles' death?
(a) The Ghost drowns them.
(b) The Ghost stabs them.
(c) The Ghost shoots them.
(d) The Ghost sets them on fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last name of the family that the story focuses on?
2. Whose faces are carved into the piano legs at Sutter's request?
3. How does Sutter kill Boy Charles?
4. After he returns from the city, what does Wining Boy want to do to relax?
5. Where does Sutter find and kill Boy Charles?
Short Essay Questions
1. After his failed date, what gift does Lymon give to Berniece, and what is her response to the gesture?
2. Why does Berniece send Maretha to the store on the day that Boy Willie intends to remove the piano?
3. How does Berniece respond to Avery's question when he unexpectedly comes to visit?
4. What reaction does the family have to Boy Willie's sudden arrival at their doorstep?
5. After a long day selling watermelons and trying to pawn clothing, how do the men in the Charles family settle down to relax?
6. When Boy Willie and Lymon realize that they cannot move the piano, how do they respond?
7. What does Lymon tell Berniece he is looking for in a woman?
8. Why does Boy Willie tease Doaker about his profession?
9. What does Boy Willie claim has happened to the man named Sutter?
10. What happens when Berniece threatens Boy Willie with the gun?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)