|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the aftermath of the theft, where was Lymon shot?
(a) In the head.
(b) In the stomach.
(c) In the back.
(d) In the leg.
2. Which character believes that life would be much easier if people stayed at home and appreciated their lives instead of traveling?
(d) Boy Willie.
3. Who teases Doaker about the women who are after him?
(c) Boy Willie.
4. Which man was NOT involved in the theft that landed Boy Willie in prison?
(d) Boy Willie.
5. Whose faces are carved into the piano legs at Sutter's request?
(a) His children's faces.
(b) His slaves' faces.
(c) His parents' faces.
(d) His and his wife's face.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is said to have played the carved piano until his/her death?
2. What is the last name of the family that the story focuses on?
3. What type of song does Maretha play on the piano?
4. Which character is afraid to sleep upstairs alone?
5. What was Wining Boy's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boy Willie believe about the laws of the white man?
2. How does Lymon come into possession of Wining Boy's suit?
3. What does Avery tell Berniece when he comes to visit her while she is preparing a bath?
4. How does Berniece find out that Boy Willie intends to remove the piano that day, and how does she respond?
5. How does Avery begin his exorcism of Sutter's ghost?
6. What religious rationalization does Boy WIllie have for the revenge he is seeking against the Sutter family?
7. How does Berniece react when she sees Boy Willie attempting to move the piano?
8. What happens when Berniece threatens Boy Willie with the gun?
9. How did Sutter react to the disappearance of his prized piano?
10. How do Boy Willie and Lymon end up in Pittsburgh?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)