|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Avery's new landlord given to the new church?
(a) A loan.
(b) A new piano.
(c) A stack of Bibles.
(d) Sheet music.
2. In what room does Boy Willie convince the young woman to start kissing him?
(a) In the cellar.
(b) In the bedroom.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In the living room.
3. What weapon does Berniece retrieve to protect herself and her belongings?
(a) A knife.
(b) A baseball bat.
(c) A rope.
(d) A gun.
4. What does Avery claim is doing God's work in the town?
(a) The Sutter family ghosts.
(b) The streetchildren in the town.
(c) The music of the piano.
(d) The Ghosts of Yellow Dog.
5. What does Boy Willie leave the house to retrieve, hoping that it will help him move the piano?
(c) A ramp.
6. Who asks Boy Willie about the outcome of his date with the young woman?
(c) Boy Willie.
7. Which character openly discusses his hopes of finding a good job and bettering his life?
(c) Boy Willie.
(d) Wining Boy.
8. Which character arrives to the final scene late, searching for Lymon to go to the movies?
(d) Mama Ola.
9. What story does Boy Willie tell Maretha as he waxes wood for the dolly?
(a) The story of his date with the young woman.
(b) The story of their escape from slavery.
(c) The story of the piano's carvings.
(d) The story of the Ghosts of Yellow Dog.
10. How much has the potential buyer promised to pay for the piano in relation to his previous offer?
(a) He offers to pay the same amount as previously offered.
(b) He offers to pay more than previously offered.
(c) He offers to pay less than previously offered.
(d) There is no mention of how much the buyer has offered to pay for the piano.
11. How far does the pair move the piano before their attempts are thwarted?
(a) They are unable to move the piano.
(b) They move the piano to the truck.
(c) They move the piano to the other side of the room.
(d) They move the piano out onto the lawn.
12. What is Berniece afraid of waking when she plays the piano?
(a) The sleeping spirits.
(b) The baby that sleeps next door.
(c) The fear that is slumbering inside her.
(d) The memories of her husband's death.
13. Who does Boy Willie accuse, other than Avery, of picking and choosing the scriptures that they believe in?
(a) Wining Boy.
14. What are the final words spoken in the play before the stage lights fade to black?
(a) "The piano is safe now."
(b) "Get out."
(c) "Thank you."
(d) "God bless this house."
15. When Boy Willie states that he can hear his heart beating, how does he claim it beats?
(a) Just as loud as everyone else's heart.
(b) Softer than everyone else's heart.
(c) Boy Willie says that he had no heart left to beat.
(d) Louder than everyone else's heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Berniece respond to the news that Boy Willie intends to remove the piano?
2. Which character begins to play the piano, calling out to the family's ancestors to save the situation?
3. What is the name of the character who attempts to barge in on Boy Willie while he is with the young woman?
4. With whom does Lymon end up spending the night after he returns home from his date?
5. Who accompanies Maretha upstairs when she is too afraid of Sutter's ghost to enter on her own?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)