|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The thwarting character demands that the pair wait for which character to return home before selling the piano?
(a) Wining Boy.
2. Lymon compliments Berniece on what article of clothing?
(a) Her work uniform.
(b) Her new shoes.
(c) Her nightgown.
(d) Her Sunday dress.
3. How many times does Boy Willie take the young woman out on a date?
(b) Three times.
(d) Five times.
4. What does Avery argue that a pastor needs to attract an audience?
(a) A wife.
(b) Jazzy music.
(c) Fancy clothes.
(d) A strong voice.
5. Which character openly discusses his hopes of finding a good job and bettering his life?
(c) Boy Willie.
(d) Wining Boy.
6. Boy Willie thinks that Berniece is teaching Maretha to live where?
(a) Above her station.
(b) At the bottom of life.
(c) At the top of life.
(d) At exacly the right place in society.
7. What advice does Lymon give to Berniece about her relationship with Avery?
(a) Lymon advises Berniece to marry Avery.
(b) Lymon advises Berniece to leave Avery.
(c) Lymon advises Berniece to lie to Avery about her feelings.
(d) Lymon does not know that Berniece is in a relationship with Avery.
8. What pet died when Boy Willie was a young boy?
(a) A bird.
(b) A dog.
(c) A fish.
(d) A cat.
9. What card game does Doaker frequently play?
10. What does Berniece tell Maretha would make the process of combing her hair easier?
(a) If Maretha were a boy.
(b) If Maretha were older.
(c) If Maretha were prettier.
(d) If Maretha were more responsible.
11. What is the name of Avery's new landlord?
12. What does Boy Willie use to block the door of the young woman's room?
(a) A mirror.
(b) The bed.
(c) A chair.
(d) The dresser.
13. What story does Boy Willie tell Maretha as he waxes wood for the dolly?
(a) The story of their escape from slavery.
(b) The story of his date with the young woman.
(c) The story of the Ghosts of Yellow Dog.
(d) The story of the piano's carvings.
14. Who does Boy Willie ask to help move the piano?
(d) Wining Boy.
15. What does Berniece claim her mother could hear when the piano was played?
(a) The singing of the slaves.
(b) The moaning of the undead.
(c) Her father speaking to her.
(d) The music of heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Boy Willie and the young woman are kissing, what is broken, waking up the family?
2. What does Wining Boy do when Boy Willie tries to move him from the piano?
3. Which character begins to play the piano, calling out to the family's ancestors to save the situation?
4. Who does Boy Willie accuse, other than Avery, of picking and choosing the scriptures that they believe in?
5. When Berniece sees Boy Willie telling Maretha stories, what does she ask Boy Willie to do?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)