|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ezra and Nyle feel as they walk back to the house?
2. What does Nyle think the kids believe about her and Ezra?
3. What does Nyle like?
4. What makes Nyle anger that she runs back to the house?
5. What becomes easier for Ezra?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Muncie prove that despite her ups and downs with her friendship with Nyle she is a true friend?
2. How does Muncie try to prepare Nyle for Ezra's possible death?
3. Describe the altercation between Ripley and the three friends.
4. What gets Nyle thinking about her father and why is she mad at him (though, perhaps she unconscious of the reason)?
5. What is ironic about Nyle's response to Ezra's announcement about school?
6. How does Ripley demonstrate that he is a bully?
7. How do you think the image of sheep is used by Ezra in this chapter?
8. Describe Muncie's reaction to Nyle wanting to sit next to her on the bus.
9. How does Nyle react to the idea of Ezra wearing Gramps clothing and what do you think is the reason for her reaction?
10. How does Nyle show wisdom in her interaction with Ezra about the puppy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 19, when Ezra and Nyle are in his room doing homework, the fire department sirens go off. Immediately, he commands Nyle to close the curtains. Nyle tries to calm Ezra's fears, but he succumbs to them anyway. Soon, the sirens dissipate, and they hear a lone fire truck drive by on the road. Ezra recovers quickly and thanks Nyle for understanding. Answer the following questions by writing a cohesive essay using specific examples and details to illustrate your stance.
1. How long do you think Ezra will react to stimuli that remind him of the accident? If he lived for many years after this, do you think at some point he would be completely over the trauma of this time? Why or why not?
2. There is a psychological condition called post traumatic stress syndrome (or disease). Learn a little about this state and decide if you think Ezra suffers from this problem. Explain your analysis.
3. What do you think it will take for Ezra to heal?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 6, Mrs. Trent asks Nyle if she would dip the washcloth into the sweet water and dab it on Ezra's lips. Immediately, Nyle remembers her grandmother promised that she would not have to tend to Ezra's physical needs, but she sees the look of exhaustion on Mrs. Trent's face and decides that this is another one of those things that "she needed to do." Answer the following questions by writing a cohesive essay using specific examples and details to illustrate your stance.
1. Compare and contrast how Nyle feels about caring for Ezra when she first starts the care giving to near the end of the time Nyle has to care for him.
2. What do you think shifts Nyle's attitude? Give examples.
3. Do you think it is fair of Gran to expect Nyle to care for a stranger? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 11, Ezra says he feels like a phoenix and how good it feels to be alive. Answer the following questions by writing a cohesive essay using specific examples and details to illustrate your stance.
1. What is a phoenix? From what culture does the image of the phoenix come?
2. The image of the phoenix occurs in chapter 12 and chapter 21, both in relation to Ezra. Analyze how the image is used in both places and discuss how you think the phoenix is a good image for Ezra.
3. Knowing that Ezra dies in the end, so in a sense he does not rise from the ashes as a phoenix does, how does that inform the title of this book? How could the symbol of the phoenix apply to Ezra at the end of the book?
This section contains 1,545 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)