|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ezra put in his arms?
2. Where does Gran take the Trents to see about some government assistance?
3. What does Ezra keep with him though he no longer needs it?
4. Why does Nyle come back outside?
5. Why is their dairy farm defunct?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are signs of Ezra's improvement?
2. What is ironic about Nyle's response to Ezra's announcement about school?
3. Describe Muncie's reaction to Nyle wanting to sit next to her on the bus.
4. How does Nyle react to the idea of Ezra wearing Gramps clothing and what do you think is the reason for her reaction?
5. How do you think the image of sheep is used by Ezra in this chapter?
6. How does Ezra respond to the sirens they hear, and why do you think he reacts the way he does?
7. What sort of epiphany does Nyle have about Ezra as he begins to heal?
8. Why do you think Ezra stiffens up when they come close to the house and there is smoke?
9. How does Nyle wisely help Ezra feel comfortable in her room?
10. How does Ezra seem to fare on his first day of school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 9, Muncie's tone gets judgmental about the people sick with radiation, an attitude which seems prevalent in many outlying communities away from the most badly-stricken areas. Answer the following questions by writing a cohesive essay using specific examples and details to illustrate your stance.
1. Why do you think Muncie and others are judgmental about the people who have radiation poisoning? Give examples to back up your thesis.
2. Whose fault is the entire accident? Is that something anyone knows? Do the people who do not work at the plant think everyone who does work there is somehow to blame?
3. Would you be willing to work at a nuclear power plant? What if it offered higher-than-average wages? Would there be any inducement enticing enough to get you to work at one? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter one and other subsequent chapters, Ripley taunts Muncie for being different physically from the average person. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using specific examples and details:
1. Discuss Muncie's physical differences and how that probably impacts her emotional responses to people. Give examples to support your thesis.
2. How has taunting of someone caused terrible repercussions in some school settings? Give examples and your analysis of the situations.
3. What are ways to teach children to accept differences? What could have been done to help Ripley accept differences? Give examples from your experience and the book.
Essay Topic 3
The contrast between Mrs. Trent's (and Ezra's as well) background and that of the sheep farmers is obvious in this chapter when Nyle notices several contrasts between her and Mrs. Trent. Answer the following questions by writing a cohesive essay using specific examples and details to illustrate your stance.
1. What are the contrast that Nyle notices?
2. Do you think Mrs. Trent feels the contrast as greatly as Nyle does? Why or why not?
3. What do you think a possible theme suggested by the scene when Nyle notices her hands compared to Mrs. Trent's? Can you find threads of this theme elsewhere?
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)