|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she do after sitting down?
2. Why does Ripley stop Muncie, Nyle, and Ezra?
3. What is a word that might describe Ezra?
4. Who shows up while Nyle is still alone?
5. What does Nyle see when she spots Ezra throughout the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Nyle's response to Ezra's announcement about school?
2. How does Muncie respond to Nyle finally telling her about Ezra? Do you think Muncie's response is reasonable?
3. Describe Muncie's reaction to Nyle wanting to sit next to her on the bus.
4. What sort of epiphany does Nyle have about Ezra as he begins to heal?
5. What are signs of Ezra's improvement?
6. Why do you think Nyle and Ezra are awkward with each other when put in a position that it seems they must acknowledge something about their relationship?
7. Do you think the government would be as unresponsive in "real" life to people caught in a nuclear accident such as the one that happens in this story?
8. How does Muncie try to prepare Nyle for Ezra's possible death?
9. Why do you think Ezra stiffens up when they come close to the house and there is smoke?
10. How does Nyle and Gran's discussion about the Trent's future show Nyle's continued maturing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter one and other subsequent chapters, Ripley taunts Muncie for being different physically from the average person. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using specific examples and details:
1. Discuss Muncie's physical differences and how that probably impacts her emotional responses to people. Give examples to support your thesis.
2. How has taunting of someone caused terrible repercussions in some school settings? Give examples and your analysis of the situations.
3. What are ways to teach children to accept differences? What could have been done to help Ripley accept differences? Give examples from your experience and the book.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 8, Nyle thinks about how the back room used to symbolize happiness for her. Answer the following questions by writing a cohesive essay using specific examples and details to illustrate your stance.
1. Compare and contrast how the back room was used in better times to the way the back room is used as a "hospital" room.
2. What is ironic about the fact that Nyle's tears of anger and grief are what seems to jolt Ezra into communicating briefly?
3. Does the emotional meaning of the back room change at some point for Nyle? Explain, using examples.
Essay Topic 3
The contrast between Mrs. Trent's (and Ezra's as well) background and that of the sheep farmers is obvious in this chapter when Nyle notices several contrasts between her and Mrs. Trent. Answer the following questions by writing a cohesive essay using specific examples and details to illustrate your stance.
1. What are the contrast that Nyle notices?
2. Do you think Mrs. Trent feels the contrast as greatly as Nyle does? Why or why not?
3. What do you think a possible theme suggested by the scene when Nyle notices her hands compared to Mrs. Trent's? Can you find threads of this theme elsewhere?
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)