|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Trent disappoint her parents?
2. What brings up the topic of the nuclear accident?
3. Who eventually comes out to greet Nyle?
4. What do Muncie and Nyle do one day after school?
5. Who is Tyrus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nyle ask her Gran about sheep farming and what is Gran's response? Does Nyle's response surprise you?
2. Describe Nyle's first encounter with Ezra.
3. What do the girls do in Radio Shack and why is that ironic?
4. What happens that demonstrates one minor theme in this book--that is, not accepting people for who they are?
5. What emotion is Nyle experiencing and what is Gran's advice about the emotion? Do you think it is wise advice?
6. What is evidence of Ezra's continue improvement?
7. What is ironic about Ezra's feeling about the back room?
8. How does Mr. Sobel get Nyle thinking about radiation poisoning and why is the topic particularly applicable?
9. Of what is the open curtain symbolic?
10. What does it mean when Nyle looks at all of her treasures and realizes that if the wind shifts, she will have to leave them all behind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 2, Nyle asks Gran about anger. Nyle admits to being so angry she can see "the blood inside your eyes." Gran wisely advises her to lose the anger because it is not good for a person to hang on to that kind of anger. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using specific examples and details:
1. Do you think Gran's advice is sound? Why or why not?
2. How do you think Nyle can go about "losing" her anger?
3. Where else does Nyle's anger appear in the story? Is her anger justified? Understandable? What can she do to let go of the anger?
4. Can you use your advice about how Nyle can let go of her anger and apply it to any way your own anger is sparked? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 6, Mrs. Trent asks Nyle if she would dip the washcloth into the sweet water and dab it on Ezra's lips. Immediately, Nyle remembers her grandmother promised that she would not have to tend to Ezra's physical needs, but she sees the look of exhaustion on Mrs. Trent's face and decides that this is another one of those things that "she needed to do." Answer the following questions by writing a cohesive essay using specific examples and details to illustrate your stance.
1. Compare and contrast how Nyle feels about caring for Ezra when she first starts the care giving to near the end of the time Nyle has to care for him.
2. What do you think shifts Nyle's attitude? Give examples.
3. Do you think it is fair of Gran to expect Nyle to care for a stranger? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 2, Nyle states that she is not going to make friends with a dead boy. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using specific examples and details:
1. Why do you think Nyle says that she is not going to make friends with a dead boy? Is she that heartless, or does she actually have a huge heart? Elaborate on your answer using specific examples from the book.
2. How is Ezra similarly vulnerable as far as loving and losing as Nyle is? Does he respond in a similar fashion to Nyle to the idea of loss? Or different? Elaborate on your answer using specific examples from the book.
3. How do you respond to loss of something/someone you love? Or have you lost a loved one? What is the most difficult thing about loss? Elaborate on your answer using specific examples from your life experiences.
This section contains 1,497 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)