|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gran not do as she usually does?
2. What does Nyla decide is one of the things she needs to do?
3. What does Muncie invite Nyle to do?
4. Who killed the sheep?
5. Where does Gran want Nyle to accompany her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is evidence of Ezra's continue improvement?
2. The issue of a drawn curtain occurs in this chapter, in previous chapters, and in future chapters. How does this issue come up in this chapter and venture a guess as to the significance of the incident.
3. What does Mrs. Haskins assign her students to do and do you think this is mixing education with politics?
4. Describe Nyle's attempts to scare the neighbor's dog, Tyrus, away from the sheep. Why does Nyle want Tyrus to get off her property?
5. What adds to the tension between the Muncie and Nyle?
6. What do you think Ezra means when he says he feels like a phoenix?
7. Why is it ironic that Nyle has to frighten off Tyrus from the sheep?
8. Ten days after the accident, what does the Principal announce and what do you think your response would be?
9. Describe Nyle's first encounter with Ezra.
10. Contrast the back room how it was used when Nyle is small versus in the story now.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening to the story, we are immediately introduced to the main character, Nyle, her best friend, Muncie, and a minor antagonist character, Ripley Powers. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using specific examples and details:
1. Thoroughly describe and analyze Ripley Powers and his role in the book--using examples from the entire book. How does he help drive the plot? Is he a likable character? Is there anything about him that is redeemable?
2. Thoroughly describe and analyze Muncie and her role in the book--using examples from the entire book. How does she help drive the plot? Is she a likable character? What about her is not so likable?
3. Analyze the interactions between Nyle and Ripley. Is Ripley totally at fault? Could Nyle have done something differently to avoid conflict? What?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 6, Gran tells Nyle to throw her mask out. She says that she threw hers away immediately upon hearing the good news that the leak is capped at the plant. Nyle chooses instead to hang it on a hook in the kitchen as a symbol of remembrance. Answer the following questions by writing a cohesive essay using specific examples and details to illustrate your stance.
1. What do you think Nyle will remember by seeing the mask in a year? Ten years? Near the end of her life?
2. Will Nyle's memories change over the months and years? How do you think they will change? How likely is it that she will remember this clearly when she is elderly and reporting the times to her grandchildren?
3. Do you think it is healthier to throw away the mask and move on as Gran does or to keep the mask as a memory as Nyle does? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 2, Nyle states that she is not going to make friends with a dead boy. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using specific examples and details:
1. Why do you think Nyle says that she is not going to make friends with a dead boy? Is she that heartless, or does she actually have a huge heart? Elaborate on your answer using specific examples from the book.
2. How is Ezra similarly vulnerable as far as loving and losing as Nyle is? Does he respond in a similar fashion to Nyle to the idea of loss? Or different? Elaborate on your answer using specific examples from the book.
3. How do you respond to loss of something/someone you love? Or have you lost a loved one? What is the most difficult thing about loss? Elaborate on your answer using specific examples from your life experiences.
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)