|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nyle's fear about Gran and the Trents?
(a) That Gran will return home alone.
(b) That the Trents will decide to stay in the larger city.
(c) That they could have an accident in the snow.
(d) That the government will not help.
2. What does the puppy do on its second night with the sheep?
(a) Watches them as if he doesn't know what to do.
(b) Chases them all over.
(c) Plays with a lamb.
(d) Goes and gets warm among the herd.
3. Where does Ezra go with Nyle?
(a) To check on the sheep and puppy.
(b) To town and the mall.
(c) To Muncie's house.
(d) To her gramp's woodworking shop.
4. Why does Nyle come back outside?
(a) She hears sirens.
(b) She is hot.
(c) She hears Shep howling.
(d) She can't stand being cooped up because she is so restless.
5. Why does Nyle go through her clothes?
(a) To take some to the clothing drive at school.
(b) To see if she can find some for Mrs. Trent.
(c) To find her Spring outfits.
(d) To start mending her summer clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Nyle sigh?
2. What does Muncie say about Ezra?
3. What happens when Muncie, Nyle and Ezra get to the house?
4. Why does Ezra go back to his room?
5. What does Ripley do to Ezra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that probably garners sympathy for Ripley on the part of the characters and readers?
2. How does Nyle wisely help Ezra feel comfortable in her room?
3. How does Ezra seem to fare on his first day of school?
4. How does Muncie try to prepare Nyle for Ezra's possible death?
5. How does Muncie prove that despite her ups and downs with her friendship with Nyle she is a true friend?
6. What do you think indicates Ezra's change of feelings towards Nyle from a stranger to a friend, and perhaps even more? How does this contrast to Nyle's statement in chapter 13?
7. How do you think Nyle may be compounding the rift in her friendship with Muncie in this chapter?
8. Why do you think Ezra stiffens up when they come close to the house and there is smoke?
9. What is a theme that appears in this chapter, which has appeared in previous chapters and give an example of how the theme is illustrated.
10. How does Nyle react to the idea of Ezra wearing Gramps clothing and what do you think is the reason for her reaction?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)