|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings up the topic of the nuclear accident?
(a) Seeing the towers of the power plant.
(b) Talking about Ezra.
(c) A book about death and belonging.
(d) Seeing all the masks the kids are wearing.
2. From where are the mother and son in the back room?
3. What does Ezra say about the puppy?
(a) Ezra does not want Nyle to bring him anything to love.
(b) It is going to be an awfully large dog.
(c) It seems to like Ezra already.
(d) Its fur is the same color as his dog that died.
4. What is the real reason Nyle declines Muncie's invitation?
(a) She has to go sit with Ezra.
(b) She doesn't want to see the movie Muncie has.
(c) She has to go be checked for possible radiation poisoning.
(d) She doesn't like spinning wool.
5. What does Mr. Harris do?
(a) Plays the banjo to entertain the girls as they card wool.
(b) Builds a fire for Nyle and Muncie.
(c) Milks the cow to make ice cream.
(d) Tells Nyle and Muncie a scary story as they card wool.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nyla do with her mask after talking with Gran?
2. What happens when the girls accidentally rile Ripley?
3. Who approaches Nyle as she is examining the sheep?
4. What does Gran say Nyle needs to do?
5. What does Nyla not want to tell Muncie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first sign of hope that Ezra shows?
2. What else occurs at the beginning of this chapter that gives Nyle a sense of unease?
3. Why is it ironic that Nyle has to frighten off Tyrus from the sheep?
4. What does Nyle see as she approaches the farmhouse and what might it foreshadow?
5. Ten days after the accident, what does the Principal announce and what do you think your response would be?
6. What emotion is Nyle experiencing and what is Gran's advice about the emotion? Do you think it is wise advice?
7. Of what is the open curtain symbolic?
8. What do the girls do in Radio Shack and why is that ironic?
9. The issue of a drawn curtain occurs in this chapter, in previous chapters, and in future chapters. How does this issue come up in this chapter and venture a guess as to the significance of the incident.
10. Describe Ezra's response to Nyle when she comes to read to him.
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)