|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ezra do when Nyla introduces herself?
(a) He sits up and asks her what the book is that she's carrying.
(b) He says hello and tells her his name.
(c) He turns away from her.
(d) He blinks, nods and then closes his eyes again.
2. What would Nyla have to do if the wind shifts?
(a) Wear a radiation suit along with her mask.
(b) Help grandma move Mrs. Trent and Ezra.
(c) Leave behind all her treasures.
(d) Get all the sheep into the barn.
3. Of what does Ezra's speaking just once remind Mrs. Trent?
(a) Her husband's passing.
(b) That Ezra used to be such a talker.
(c) A passage in the Torah.
(d) Of the need to keep Ezra from knowing about his father.
4. How is it clear that Ezra has improved?
(a) His breathing is not labored.
(b) He is able to carry on a conversation.
(c) His coloring is better.
(d) He has a good appetite.
5. What do the girls do as they approach the farmhouse?
(a) Take the sheep to the barn.
(b) Tell a joke about Ripley.
(c) Play a game with stones.
(d) Go their separate ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nyle decide to add to the farm?
2. What does Municie tell Nyle?
3. What does Nyla notice about Ezra when she enters his room?
4. What does Nyle do after shrugging off her uneasy feeling?
5. What does a nurse do to Ezra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nyle ask her Gran about sheep farming and what is Gran's response? Does Nyle's response surprise you?
2. What adds to the tension between the Muncie and Nyle?
3. What does Mrs. Haskins assign her students to do and do you think this is mixing education with politics?
4. What does Nyle see as she approaches the farmhouse and what might it foreshadow?
5. What emotion do you think Muncie is feeling as she inquires why Nyle did not come study with her the night before?
6. Would you have responded the same way as Nyle when Muncie asks her what is going on at Nyle's house?
7. Describe Nyle's first encounter with Ezra.
8. What else occurs at the beginning of this chapter that gives Nyle a sense of unease?
9. Mrs. Trent reveals that she disappoints her parents by marrying out of the faith and that she is paying the price now. Do you think this is true?
10. How is it obvious that the two teens feel some attraction for each other?
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)