|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anodos read about in the book that was covering the window?
2. Where does Anodos think the footpath must lead?
3. What does a woman's voice tell Anodos?
4. According to the woman Anodos meets at the farmhouse, what does he have in common with other men who have passed by the farmhouse as they leave the forest?
5. What does Anodos acquire from the source of the woman's voice to defend himself against the Ash?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anodos justify the death of the woman who dies next to a snowdrop flower as she is looking for spring?
2. Why do you think the author has Anodos read a passage from the tale of King Arthur and his knights?
3. How does Anodos' childlike innocence help him as he travels through Fairy Land?
4. How does the discovery of a room inside the Fairy Palace that looks like his own bedroom comfort Anodos?
5. How do Anodos and his shadow seem to influence each other?
6. Explain Anodos' reaction to advice he has been given by characters in Fairy Land.
7. Why do you think Anodos' room is transformed into a forest rather than another type of nature environment?
8. How does the magic of the Fairy Palace benefit Anodos?
9. What happens to Anodos as he spends more time in Fairy Land?
10. What does Anodos realize about the truth of what the small woman told him as he looks around his room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did George MacDonald choose Phantastes for the title of the novel? Why do you think he chose to begin the title with the letters "Ph" rather than "F"? Give examples from the book that explain the title. Do you think the title fits the book? Why or why not? If you could give the book a different title, what would it be? Give reasons for your answer.
Essay Topic 2
A recurring theme throughout Phantastes is maturity. Maturity seems to be a goal that is set for Anodos as he travels through Fairy Land. Does Anodos realize this is a goal that has been set for him as he travels through Fairy Land? How do you know? Is Anodos consistent in his progress toward maturity as he travels through Fairy Land? In what ways(s)? What behavior does Anodos show that demonstrates his maturity?
Essay Topic 3
Phantastes was written using elements of romanticism. How is Phantastes an example of romanticism in literature? Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)