|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Anodos travels through the desert area, how do the goblin-fairies greet Anodos?
2. When Anodos swims in the basin -- above the water, he is in the basin, but where does he seem to be below the water?
3. What is the young girl Anodos meets on the edge of the woods doing as she walks toward him?
4. What wraps around Anodos as he is spoken to?
5. What piece of furniture does the structure resemble that Anodos finds as he continues on the path?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the magic of the Fairy Palace benefit Anodos?
2. What comment is the author making about Phantastes when he describes Anodos' reaction to the books he reads in the Fairy Palace library?
3. How does Anodos' childlike innocence help him as he travels through Fairy Land?
4. What personality characteristic of Anodos gives him access to Fairy Land?
5. What does the knight represent to Anodos?
6. Why do you think there are obstacles in the natural environment Anodos travels through when he leaves the forest?
7. Why is it appropriate that Anodos meets the old woman and her daughter first as he travels through Fairy Land?
8. Why do you think the author has Anodos read a passage from the tale of King Arthur and his knights?
9. How does Anodos react when he sees the open field from the room in which he sleeps at the farmhouse?
10. What happens to Anodos as he becomes more frightened in the wood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What clues or hints did the author provide that helped prepare you for the ending of the story? Did you think these clues were important as you read the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Which part of Phantastes came alive for you; that is, in which part did you feel that what was happening to Anodos was vicariously happening to you? Why? How did the author do this? Were you immediately drawn into the story, or did it take a while? Why? Did the book intrigue,amuse, disturb, alienate, or irritate, you? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses foreshadowing throughout Phantastes. Give three examples of what you think are the most effective uses of foreshadowing in the story, and why you think these examples are the most effective. Include in your answer what these events foreshadow.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)