|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Anodos' bed as his room changes?
2. What does Anodos see in the mist ahead of him?
3. Who or what speaks to Anodos after the lightning bolt strikes?
4. As Anodos travels through the desert area, how do the goblin-fairies greet Anodos?
5. How does the conversation with the woman's husband at the farmhouse affect Anodos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might happen to Anodos if he travels through the forest without knowing about the Ash tree?
2. Why do you think Anodos' room is transformed into a forest rather than another type of nature environment?
3. What is unusual about the condition of the footpath Anodos notices in his room?
4. Why does Anodos awaken a little disoriented the day after his twenty-first birthday?
5. What does Anodos realize about the truth of what the small woman told him as he looks around his room?
6. Explain Anodos' reaction to advice he has been given by characters in Fairy Land.
7. When will the knight in rusty armor whom Anodos meets in the wood be able to regain his reputable status?
8. What happens to Anodos when he eats the fruits of the woods?
9. What happens to Anodos as he becomes more frightened in the wood?
10. What comment is the author making about Phantastes when he describes Anodos' reaction to the books he reads in the Fairy Palace library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anodos is troubled by the persistent presence of his shadow. When Anodos acquires his shadow, the woman in the hut says that the shadow is called something else in Anodos' world. In psychoanalytic theory, personality structure is broken down into three parts: the id, the ego, and the superego. The id is completely unconscious, unorganized, and concerned with instant gratification of instincts and drives. The ego mediates among the id and superego and external world, and is concerned with reality, safety, reason, and common sense. The superego is the conscience; it punishes misbehavior with guilt and morality. Which part of Anodos' personality structure would the shadow be: the id, the ego, or the superego? Give three examples from the story to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting of Phantastes influence the events of the story? Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a situation in the story in which Anodos acted in a way you disagree with. Describe the situation. Why did Anodos act this way? What were the consequences of his actions? Why do you disagree with Anodos' reaction to the situation? How would you have reacted? Why?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)