|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anodos' shadow do when it comes out of the room to which Anodos opened the door?
2. In the story Anodos retells about women with wings, while the women have wings for appendages, what do the men have?
3. What does the stone maiden do when Anodos awakens her?
4. Why does the small woman visit Anodos?
5. What unusual environment does Anodos see in his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Anodos' room is transformed into a forest rather than another type of nature environment?
2. How does Anodos' visit with the old woman affect his naivete?
3. How does Anodos justify the death of the woman who dies next to a snowdrop flower as she is looking for spring?
4. What is the relationship between the borders of Anodos' real world and the borders of his fantasy world?
5. How do Anodos and his shadow seem to influence each other?
6. Why does Anodos awaken a little disoriented the day after his twenty-first birthday?
7. Why is it appropriate that Anodos meets the old woman and her daughter first as he travels through Fairy Land?
8. How does the magic of the Fairy Palace benefit Anodos?
9. How does Anodos react when he sees the open field from the room in which he sleeps at the farmhouse?
10. What does the knight represent to Anodos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which is stronger in Phantastes--plot development or character development? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer. Do you think the author did this intentionally? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting of Phantastes influence the events of the story? Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Anodos is troubled by the persistent presence of his shadow. When Anodos acquires his shadow, the woman in the hut says that the shadow is called something else in Anodos' world. In psychoanalytic theory, personality structure is broken down into three parts: the id, the ego, and the superego. The id is completely unconscious, unorganized, and concerned with instant gratification of instincts and drives. The ego mediates among the id and superego and external world, and is concerned with reality, safety, reason, and common sense. The superego is the conscience; it punishes misbehavior with guilt and morality. Which part of Anodos' personality structure would the shadow be: the id, the ego, or the superego? Give three examples from the story to explain your answer.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)