|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Anodos' bed is affected by the environment in his room?
(a) The frame.
(b) The canopy.
(c) The headboard.
(d) The mattress.
2. What does Anodos notice about the water in the huge basin in which he swims?
(a) The water has a hypnotic fragrance.
(b) The water seems to float above the surface of the basin.
(c) The water is the purest he's ever seen.
(d) The water disappears when he touches it, but returns when he no longer touches it.
3. According to the woman Anodos meets at the farmhouse, what does he have in common with other men who have passed by the farmhouse as they leave the forest?
(a) They all worried about how to get home.
(b) They all were saved by the same person.
(c) They all wondered about the reality of Fairy Land.
(d) They all have had the same experience with the Maiden of the Alder.
4. When Anodos feels a chill from the marble lady's touch, what does he believe caused the chill?
(a) The marble.
(b) Water that dripped on his head.
(c) The cool breeze.
(d) The damp cave.
5. What does Anodos see when a lightning bolt strikes?
(a) A flower.
(b) A face.
(c) A foot.
(d) The Ash.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shadow affect when it sends out arm-like extensions?
2. When Anodos cannot reach a conclusion about his feelings for the Maiden of the Alder, what does he think about next?
3. Through what does the path continue after the forest?
4. What is the young girl Anodos meets on the edge of the woods doing as she walks toward him?
5. What does Anodos acquire from the source of the woman's voice to defend himself against the Ash?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must Anodos be careful about introducing new concepts to the people of Fairy Land?
2. From the time Anodos finds the ogre's hut, what events lead the reader to the conclusion that the shadow will bring trouble to Anodos?
3. How does Anodos justify the death of the woman who dies next to a snowdrop flower as she is looking for spring?
4. What personality characteristic of Anodos gives him access to Fairy Land?
5. How does Anodos' visit with the old woman affect his naivete?
6. What is unusual about the condition of the footpath Anodos notices in his room?
7. What happens to Anodos as he becomes more frightened in the wood?
8. How does Anodos' childlike innocence help him as he travels through Fairy Land?
9. What is the relationship between the borders of Anodos' real world and the borders of his fantasy world?
10. Explain Anodos' reaction to advice he has been given by characters in Fairy Land.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)