|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What flows from the wash basin in Anodos' room?
(a) Fresh air.
(c) Thick, foamy bubbles.
2. How does the shadow manage to leave the small windowless hut with Anodos?
(a) It materializes outside the hut as Anodos travels.
(b) It attaches itself to Anodos.
(c) It attaches itself to the woman.
(d) It disguises itself as food given to Anodos by the woman.
3. What is the most probable place to which Anodos is referring when he mentions the Church of Darkness?
(a) The knight's hut.
(b) The ogre's hut.
(c) The farmhouse.
(d) The Fairy Palace.
4. What does Anodos notice about the animals of the forest?
(a) They run in terror from Anodos.
(b) There aren't any.
(c) They are somewhat friendly.
(d) They are aggressive and vicious.
5. What do the keys open that Anodos receives as a birthday gift?
(a) A secret room.
(b) A mysterious box.
(c) A secretary desk.
(d) An iron gate.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Anodos travels through Fairy Land what happens to the shadow?
2. Why doesn't Anodos close the door to the room in the small windowless hut when the shadow comes out of the room?
3. What can Anodos sense the presence of, but not see, inside the Fairy Palace?
4. What does the young girl shout out about the Ash tree?
5. How does Anodos try to locate the marble lady he has been pursuing through the wood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the discovery of a room inside the Fairy Palace that looks like his own bedroom comfort Anodos?
2. Why do you think the author chose to have the secretary desk in a dark room which has been closed for a long time?
3. Why does Anodos awaken a little disoriented the day after his twenty-first birthday?
4. How does Anodos react when he sees the open field from the room in which he sleeps at the farmhouse?
5. What are the consequences Anodos suffers when he ignores the warning of the knight in rusty armor about beautiful women in the forest?
6. How does Anodos' visit with the old woman affect his naivete?
7. How does Anodos justify the death of the woman who dies next to a snowdrop flower as she is looking for spring?
8. What is the relationship between the borders of Anodos' real world and the borders of his fantasy world?
9. How does Anodos allow himself to be controlled by nature and what are the results?
10. From the time Anodos finds the ogre's hut, what events lead the reader to the conclusion that the shadow will bring trouble to Anodos?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)