|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anodos thinking about when he wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) His class schedule for the day.
(b) Writing thank-you notes for his birthday gifts.
(c) A dream he had.
(d) The events of his birthday.
2. What does the woman at the farmhouse tell Anodos he must do before he can return home?
(a) Learn the magic words that will destroy the Ash tree.
(b) Save someone from the Maiden of the Alder.
(c) Travel through Fairy Land.
(d) Read the entire tale of Sir Galahad.
3. In the story Anodos retells about women with wings, what determines the color of the women's wings?
(a) The year in which the women are born.
(b) The season in which the women are born.
(c) The location in which the women are born.
(d) The color of their parents' wings.
4. What does Anodos discover when he examines the item that the keys open?
(a) A secret compartment.
(b) A magical garden.
(c) Another set of keys.
(d) A false wall.
5. What does the shadow affect when it sends out arm-like extensions?
(a) The Maiden of the Alder.
(b) The sun.
(c) The moon.
(d) The Ash tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family at the farmhouse discuss during the evening as Anodos listens?
2. What does Anodos notice about the water in the huge basin in which he swims?
3. According to the small woman who appears, how is she related to Anodos?
4. What thought comforts Anodos when he worries the Ash may be searching for him?
5. What do the keys open that Anodos receives as a birthday gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anodos awaken a little disoriented the day after his twenty-first birthday?
2. How does the magic of the Fairy Palace benefit Anodos?
3. Why do you think the old woman refuses to tell the truth of the woods to Anodos?
4. Why do you think the author has Anodos read a passage from the tale of King Arthur and his knights?
5. How do Anodos and his shadow seem to influence each other?
6. Why must Anodos be careful about introducing new concepts to the people of Fairy Land?
7. What comment is the author making about Phantastes when he describes Anodos' reaction to the books he reads in the Fairy Palace library?
8. Why do you think Anodos' father made provisions for Anodos to inherit the secretary desk?
9. Explain Anodos' reaction to advice he has been given by characters in Fairy Land.
10. How does Anodos react when he sees the open field from the room in which he sleeps at the farmhouse?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)