|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anodos see when he looks into the hole?
(a) A natural staircase.
(b) The white lady motioning to him.
(c) A moving stairway.
2. What surrounds Anodos' burial site?
(a) Trees and flowers.
(d) White marble figures.
3. What does the old woman, who changes into a beautiful woman while Anodos is in the hole, offer him?
(a) She offers to take the white lady's place.
(b) She offers to show him how to get rid of the shadow.
(c) She offers to show him how to get home.
(d) She offers to walk with him.
4. After Anodos leaves the king and reaches the edge of a forest, what does a young man warn Anodos about?
(a) The Ash tree.
(b) The king.
(c) The forest is enchanted.
(d) Knights in shining armor.
5. What happens when the woman in the cottage on the island has to go through a door to find Anodos?
(a) The waters around the cottage rise.
(b) Her cottage catches fire.
(c) An earthquake shakes the island.
(d) She becomes trapped on the other side of the door with Anodos.
6. On the night Anodos walks the corridor of the crimson hall, what figure does he dream is on a pedestal in the hall?
(a) The white lady.
(b) Princess Von Hohenweiss.
(c) Cosmo von Wehrstahl.
(d) The little girl with the crystal globe.
7. What does Anodos do when he discovers a hole on the other side of a door after he ignores the warning on the door?
(a) He begins to sing again.
(b) He plunges into the hole.
(c) He returns to the crimson hall.
(d) He waits until morning next to the hole.
8. What happens to the white lady after Anodos finishes singing and the white lady wavers between her life form and her stone form?
(a) The white lady becomes fully alive.
(b) The white lady turns to stone.
(c) The white lady's image shatters into tiny pieces.
(d) The white lady vanishes completely.
9. What does Anodos see in the water as he looks over the edge of the boat he climbs in after jumping off the cliff into the water?
(a) His own reflection.
(b) Images from his past.
(c) Unique varieties of fish.
(d) A reflection of the white lady.
10. When Anodos is reborn as a primrose, who picks it and gives him his first kiss?
(a) The girl who used to have the crystal globe.
(b) His sister.
(c) The white lady.
(d) His mother.
11. What does Anodos learn when he passes through the door to the present time in the cottage on the island?
(a) The connection betwen the knight and the white lady.
(b) The way to get home.
(c) The way to get rid of the shadow.
(d) The location of his long-lost brother.
12. What is Anodos feeling as he thinks about how to make the white lady appear?
13. Why does the white lady cry out after Anodos reacts to her when she wavers between her life form and her stone form?
(a) Anodos shouldn't have touched her.
(b) The white lady is letting Anodos know where she is.
(c) The white lady has found the way for Anodos to get home.
(d) The white lady is trying to comfort Anodos.
14. How does the woman in the cottage on the island help Anodos fall asleep?
(a) She puts a sleeping pill in his tea.
(b) She sprinkles him with a magic potion.
(c) She reads a fairy tale to him.
(d) She sings to him.
15. In the crimson hall, what do the dancers do when Anodos begins to sing to make the white lady appear?
(a) They dance faster.
(b) They stop dancing.
(c) They dance slower.
(d) They accompany him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the two brothers know that Anodos would join them to fight the three giants?
2. What causes the pain Anodos feels as he vows to protect those he left behind?
3. After Anodos leaves the island and arrives in a rocky country, from what structure does Anodos hear the sound of a clanging anvil?
4. What is unusual about the appearance of the knight in shining armor Anodos meets as he thinks about himself as a knight like Sir Galahad?
5. When the two brothers in the tower finish their forging, what do they tell Anodos about their father?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)