|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Peter Petrovich when he was named heir?
2. England's William I, who had sent the fleet each summer to advance Hanover's interests, reversed alliances for what reason?
3. In Chapter 38, the Swedes were entrapped, and they convinced Charles XII to flee to what territory?
4. Chapter 35 showed the effects of which year's intense cold that gripped all of Europe?
5. Peter was able to launch a disciplined infantry line which enveloped ________/
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
2. What did Chapter 42, "Fifty Blows on the Pruth," take its title from?
3. Why did Charles XII turn south in mid-September and send General Anders Lagercrona's vanguard ahead?
4. Why did Peter decide to focus his attention on the conquest of the upper Baltic?
5. What sort of effect did the arrival of Charles XII in Germany have?
6. Why did the author use the phrase "a place of carnage" to describe the battlefield at Poltava?
7. What did Alexis do on the evening of November 10, 1716?
8. St. Petersburg came about in what fashion?
9. What did Charles XII and his advance regiments find upon arrival at Baturin on November 11?
10. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When at dinner among Tsar Peter's lieutenants and friends in 1717, what was Prince Jacob Dolgoruky's response when Peter asked the seventy-eight year old how he compared the accomplishments of Tsar Alexis with those of Peter?
Essay Topic 2
What was Peter's childhood like? What was of importance that transpired during this time?
Essay Topic 3
How did Peter come to meet Alexander Menshikov? What role of significance did he come to play in the Tsar's life?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)