|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alexis was formally denounced, yet was promised forgiveness on what condition?
2. After how long did Peter bid the Regent and King farewell?
3. Avoiding open warfare in Poland, where did the Russians retreat to?
4. Peter engaged which philosopher to oversee administrative, educational, and legal reforms?
5. Charles XII went home to Sweden only after he took Danish Rügen. How many years had passed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Peter respond to his Poltava triumph?
2. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
3. What sort of effect did the arrival of Charles XII in Germany have?
4. Throughout Peter's reign, why was he seen as constantly moving?
5. Peter quickly suffered dismay upon his return to St. Petersburg on October 11, 1717, for what reason?
6. How did the reign of Louis XIV of France compare with Peter's of Russia?
7. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
8. In Chapter 33, what did the author describe Charles XII and Peter as having done in the early summer months?
9. Why did the author use the phrase "a place of carnage" to describe the battlefield at Poltava?
10. What were some ways Peter's second historic journey into the West differed from his first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the description of Peter's later years at court while in St. Petersburg given by Ambassador Frederich Christian Weber of Hanover compare with that of court life twenty years prior in Moscow presented by Johann-Georg Korb, secretary to a visiting Austrian ambassador?
Essay Topic 2
What was Tsar Peter's reaction to Mazeppa's treason?
Essay Topic 3
Peter noted that a lone foreigner was capable of dispatching more affairs during a single morning than a house of his senators could accomplish in a month. What was the Tsar's day typically like when he was in St. Petersburg?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)