|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Peter seek a mediator or ally after determining that fanatical Charles XII was certain to invade Russia?
2. When Peter ordered the fortress at Grodno abandoned, Charles XII was freed to invade what region?
3. Chapter 46 examined the rapid growth of St. Petersburg following what year?
4. While his people yearned for peace, Charles XII drafted new troops, raised taxes, and was aided by Baron Georg Heinrich von Goertz in becoming what?
5. Unable to fight with Sweden or Britain in new "ship-of-the-line" warships, what did Peter build that could sail close to shore and swarm larger ships?
Short Essay Questions
1. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
2. In Chapter 33, what did the author describe Charles XII and Peter as having done in the early summer months?
3. St. Petersburg came about in what fashion?
4. Why did Charles XII turn south in mid-September and send General Anders Lagercrona's vanguard ahead?
5. What did Charles XII and his advance regiments find upon arrival at Baturin on November 11?
6. Why did the Turkish Sultan want to send Charles XII home?
7. Throughout Peter's reign, why was he seen as constantly moving?
8. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
9. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
10. Why was it Russia appeared to have significantly deteriorated in comparison to Sweden in the spring of 1720?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since Peter knew Charles XII fully intended to lead his army across Poland to invade Russia, what measures of defense did he undertake?
Essay Topic 2
From where did the author draw, "These Things are in Your Way," the title of Chapter 18?
Essay Topic 3
When at dinner among Tsar Peter's lieutenants and friends in 1717, what was Prince Jacob Dolgoruky's response when Peter asked the seventy-eight year old how he compared the accomplishments of Tsar Alexis with those of Peter?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)