|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Much of Charles XII's infantry wasted time on Peter's redoubts and was _________.
2. When Peter found evidence of Alexis' whereabouts, where did Charles VI move Alexis?
3. General Lewenhaupt was sent for a massive quantity of supplies, but his effort bogged down and cost the campaign of Charles XII how much time?
4. According to Chapter 50, what had Peter been oblivious to and curious about before Paris in 1717?
5. Despite people's pleas, Charles XII vowed to make which group join him or face annihilation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Peter seek to control Dorpat and Narva in 1704?
2. Why did Peter decide to focus his attention on the conquest of the upper Baltic?
3. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
4. How did Peter respond to his Poltava triumph?
5. St. Petersburg came about in what fashion?
6. Why was it Russia appeared to have significantly deteriorated in comparison to Sweden in the spring of 1720?
7. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
8. What were some ways Peter's second historic journey into the West differed from his first?
9. What sort of effect did the arrival of Charles XII in Germany have?
10. Given England's 100-ship Royal Navy, why did the Baltic powers have relatively smaller fleets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the fruits that Peter's triumph at Poltava afforded?
Essay Topic 2
When at dinner among Tsar Peter's lieutenants and friends in 1717, what was Prince Jacob Dolgoruky's response when Peter asked the seventy-eight year old how he compared the accomplishments of Tsar Alexis with those of Peter?
Essay Topic 3
Peter noted that a lone foreigner was capable of dispatching more affairs during a single morning than a house of his senators could accomplish in a month. What was the Tsar's day typically like when he was in St. Petersburg?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)