|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 46 examined the rapid growth of St. Petersburg following what year?
2. Alexis was formally denounced, yet was promised forgiveness on what condition?
3. After how long did Peter bid the Regent and King farewell?
4. After being cornered, what areas did Peter abandon that resulted in his survival and making peace with Charles XII?
5. Largely due to Peter Tolstoy's diplomacy, which group remained out of the Northern War?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Peter decide to focus his attention on the conquest of the upper Baltic?
2. What did Charles XII propose to his senior officers the day prior to the battle at Poltava in June, 1709?
3. Why did the Turkish Sultan want to send Charles XII home?
4. How did Peter respond to his Poltava triumph?
5. How did Peter compare with his son, Alexis?
6. Peter quickly suffered dismay upon his return to St. Petersburg on October 11, 1717, for what reason?
7. What did Chapter 42, "Fifty Blows on the Pruth," take its title from?
8. Why did Peter seek to control Dorpat and Narva in 1704?
9. How did the reign of Louis XIV of France compare with Peter's of Russia?
10. Why was it Russia appeared to have significantly deteriorated in comparison to Sweden in the spring of 1720?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance did Andrew Vinius, Patrick Gordon, Francis Lefort, and the Jolly Company have in Peter's life?
Essay Topic 2
When at dinner among Tsar Peter's lieutenants and friends in 1717, what was Prince Jacob Dolgoruky's response when Peter asked the seventy-eight year old how he compared the accomplishments of Tsar Alexis with those of Peter?
Essay Topic 3
How did the description of Peter's later years at court while in St. Petersburg given by Ambassador Frederich Christian Weber of Hanover compare with that of court life twenty years prior in Moscow presented by Johann-Georg Korb, secretary to a visiting Austrian ambassador?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)