|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 32, the Russians torched Poland to deny Charles provisions and bridges, and accomplish what else?
2. With Severia lost, where did Charles XII go?
3. According to Chapter 50, what had Peter been oblivious to and curious about before Paris in 1717?
4. Much of Charles XII's infantry wasted time on Peter's redoubts and was _________.
5. General Lewenhaupt was sent for a massive quantity of supplies, but his effort bogged down and cost the campaign of Charles XII how much time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
2. What sort of effect did the arrival of Charles XII in Germany have?
3. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
4. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
5. Why was it Russia appeared to have significantly deteriorated in comparison to Sweden in the spring of 1720?
6. Why did Charles XII turn south in mid-September and send General Anders Lagercrona's vanguard ahead?
7. What did Chapter 42, "Fifty Blows on the Pruth," take its title from?
8. Peter quickly suffered dismay upon his return to St. Petersburg on October 11, 1717, for what reason?
9. Why did the author use the phrase "a place of carnage" to describe the battlefield at Poltava?
10. Why did the Turkish Sultan want to send Charles XII home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance did Andrew Vinius, Patrick Gordon, Francis Lefort, and the Jolly Company have in Peter's life?
Essay Topic 2
What was Peter's childhood like? What was of importance that transpired during this time?
Essay Topic 3
How did the description of Peter's later years at court while in St. Petersburg given by Ambassador Frederich Christian Weber of Hanover compare with that of court life twenty years prior in Moscow presented by Johann-Georg Korb, secretary to a visiting Austrian ambassador?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)