|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Seeking to restore old Moscow, Charles XII takes a direct thrust at Russia's heart rather than first restoring which sea?
2. While his people yearned for peace, Charles XII drafted new troops, raised taxes, and was aided by Baron Georg Heinrich von Goertz in becoming what?
3. How old was Peter Petrovich when he was named heir?
4. Peter had ten redoubts built in what formation, that slowed enemy attacks?
5. Despite people's pleas, Charles XII vowed to make which group join him or face annihilation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 33, what did the author describe Charles XII and Peter as having done in the early summer months?
2. How did the reign of Louis XIV of France compare with Peter's of Russia?
3. Peter quickly suffered dismay upon his return to St. Petersburg on October 11, 1717, for what reason?
4. What sort of effect did the arrival of Charles XII in Germany have?
5. Why was it Russia appeared to have significantly deteriorated in comparison to Sweden in the spring of 1720?
6. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
7. Why did Peter seek to control Dorpat and Narva in 1704?
8. Given England's 100-ship Royal Navy, why did the Baltic powers have relatively smaller fleets?
9. Why did the author use the phrase "a place of carnage" to describe the battlefield at Poltava?
10. Throughout Peter's reign, why was he seen as constantly moving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Peter failed in his initial attack on Azov, but he was successful in a subsequent assault? In what manner did this affect his status in Russia and in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
How was it St. Petersburg came to be?
Essay Topic 3
Peter noted that a lone foreigner was capable of dispatching more affairs during a single morning than a house of his senators could accomplish in a month. What was the Tsar's day typically like when he was in St. Petersburg?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)