|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury lay Charles XII up nearly dead from infection?
2. Although Mazeppa had run into his arms, why was Charles XII desperate?
3. Russia captured Riga and _________.
4. Alexis was formally denounced, yet was promised forgiveness on what condition?
5. Due to the French monarch's age, who served as Regent for Louis XV?
Short Essay Questions
1. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
2. What did Charles XII propose to his senior officers the day prior to the battle at Poltava in June, 1709?
3. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
4. Peter quickly suffered dismay upon his return to St. Petersburg on October 11, 1717, for what reason?
5. Why did Charles XII turn south in mid-September and send General Anders Lagercrona's vanguard ahead?
6. How did Peter respond to his Poltava triumph?
7. How did Peter compare with his son, Alexis?
8. Throughout Peter's reign, why was he seen as constantly moving?
9. St. Petersburg came about in what fashion?
10. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was the Tsar's Great Embassy one of only a couple of overwhelming events in his life?
Essay Topic 2
How did Peter come to meet Alexander Menshikov? What role of significance did he come to play in the Tsar's life?
Essay Topic 3
From where did the author draw, "These Things are in Your Way," the title of Chapter 18?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)