|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Councillor of State controlled French foreign policy because of the age of Louis XV?
2. Largely due to Peter Tolstoy's diplomacy, which group remained out of the Northern War?
3. Charles XII went home to Sweden only after he took Danish Rügen. How many years had passed?
4. In Chapter 38, the Swedes were entrapped, and they convinced Charles XII to flee to what territory?
5. Unable to fight with Sweden or Britain in new "ship-of-the-line" warships, what did Peter build that could sail close to shore and swarm larger ships?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of life did Catherine originate from?
2. St. Petersburg came about in what fashion?
3. Why did the author use the phrase "a place of carnage" to describe the battlefield at Poltava?
4. In Chapter 33, what did the author describe Charles XII and Peter as having done in the early summer months?
5. Why did Peter seek to control Dorpat and Narva in 1704?
6. What did Alexis do on the evening of November 10, 1716?
7. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
8. What did Charles XII and his advance regiments find upon arrival at Baturin on November 11?
9. What did Chapter 42, "Fifty Blows on the Pruth," take its title from?
10. What did Charles XII propose to his senior officers the day prior to the battle at Poltava in June, 1709?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From where did the author draw, "These Things are in Your Way," the title of Chapter 18?
Essay Topic 2
What were the fruits that Peter's triumph at Poltava afforded?
Essay Topic 3
How was it St. Petersburg came to be?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)