|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles XII ordered the Poles to join him, hoping who would aid him?
2. Where did Charles XII flee as Peter made his first disciplined infantry launch?
3. Why was it that Peter's 1717 visit to France yielded no diplomatic fruit?
4. In Chapter 32, the Russians torched Poland to deny Charles provisions and bridges, and accomplish what else?
5. Whom did Peter's son Alexis marry in Chapter 43?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Peter compare with his son, Alexis?
2. Why did the Turkish Sultan want to send Charles XII home?
3. What did Chapter 42, "Fifty Blows on the Pruth," take its title from?
4. Why did Peter seek to control Dorpat and Narva in 1704?
5. What sort of effect did the arrival of Charles XII in Germany have?
6. Throughout Peter's reign, why was he seen as constantly moving?
7. Why did Charles XII turn south in mid-September and send General Anders Lagercrona's vanguard ahead?
8. What did Charles XII and his advance regiments find upon arrival at Baturin on November 11?
9. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
10. Peter quickly suffered dismay upon his return to St. Petersburg on October 11, 1717, for what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the description of Peter's later years at court while in St. Petersburg given by Ambassador Frederich Christian Weber of Hanover compare with that of court life twenty years prior in Moscow presented by Johann-Georg Korb, secretary to a visiting Austrian ambassador?
Essay Topic 2
How did Peter come to meet Alexander Menshikov? What role of significance did he come to play in the Tsar's life?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the author stipulate Peter's most extraordinary characteristic was his titanic energy?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)