|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Peter ordered the fortress at Grodno abandoned, Charles XII was freed to invade what region?
2. Upon meeting King Louis XV, Peter shocked the French by lifting him up and ___________.
3. According to Chapter 29, what positive improvements were part of Peter's reign?
4. In what year did Martha Skavronskaya, Peter's wife, begin bearing his children?
5. With Severia lost, where did Charles XII go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the reign of Louis XIV of France compare with Peter's of Russia?
2. What did Charles XII and his advance regiments find upon arrival at Baturin on November 11?
3. Why did Charles XII turn south in mid-September and send General Anders Lagercrona's vanguard ahead?
4. Peter quickly suffered dismay upon his return to St. Petersburg on October 11, 1717, for what reason?
5. What were some ways Peter's second historic journey into the West differed from his first?
6. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
7. What was Peter's response when he learned of the death of Charles XII?
8. Why did Peter decide to focus his attention on the conquest of the upper Baltic?
9. Why did the author use the phrase "a place of carnage" to describe the battlefield at Poltava?
10. Given England's 100-ship Royal Navy, why did the Baltic powers have relatively smaller fleets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Peter come to meet Alexander Menshikov? What role of significance did he come to play in the Tsar's life?
Essay Topic 2
How was it St. Petersburg came to be?
Essay Topic 3
Since Peter knew Charles XII fully intended to lead his army across Poland to invade Russia, what measures of defense did he undertake?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)