|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Peter seek a mediator or ally after determining that fanatical Charles XII was certain to invade Russia?
2. In Chapter 38, the Swedes were entrapped, and they convinced Charles XII to flee to what territory?
3. After being cornered, what areas did Peter abandon that resulted in his survival and making peace with Charles XII?
4. Which Councillor of State controlled French foreign policy because of the age of Louis XV?
5. With Severia lost, where did Charles XII go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Peter compare with his son, Alexis?
2. Given England's 100-ship Royal Navy, why did the Baltic powers have relatively smaller fleets?
3. What did Charles XII propose to his senior officers the day prior to the battle at Poltava in June, 1709?
4. In Chapter 33, what did the author describe Charles XII and Peter as having done in the early summer months?
5. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
6. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
7. Why did Charles XII turn south in mid-September and send General Anders Lagercrona's vanguard ahead?
8. Peter quickly suffered dismay upon his return to St. Petersburg on October 11, 1717, for what reason?
9. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
10. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was a visitor to Paris in 1717 likely to have seen? What was on the list Peter compiled of all he desired to look at and accomplish on his second historic trip to the West? How successful was his visit?
Essay Topic 2
What was Peter's childhood like? What was of importance that transpired during this time?
Essay Topic 3
What events transpired in the six weeks subsequent to the death of Charles XII that drastically affected the life of Baron Georg Heinrich von Goertz?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)