|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the period when Peter built a warship, endangered himself with war games and fireworks, and ignored the Kremlin, what almost took his life?
2. Chapter 24 summarized Charles XII's youth and stressed his love of military science and adventure before he took the throne at what age?
3. Peter could be easily identified and thronged until he was set up securely in which dockyard?
4. At what age did Peter lose his father?
5. In what year did Peter first visit Archangel, Russia's only port near the Arctic Circle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Peter anxious to meet King William of England in Holland?
2. What significant affairs transpired during Sophia's reign?
3. What activities did Peter prefer to state ceremonies during Sophia's reign?
4. According to Chapter 9, what did Peter find in the German Suburb?
5. What battle did Peter decide to engage in at age 22?
6. What intentional humiliations did former elite troops that comprised old Muscovite armies sustain following Sophia's downfall?
7. What was Moscow like in Peter's youth?
8. What did Peter initially state was his aim in attacking Sweden in the Great Northern War?
9. What was the youth of Charles XII of Sweden like?
10. Why was Peter unsuccessful in gaining an ally against the Turks when he met Leopold I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From where did the author draw, "These Things are in Your Way," the title of Chapter 18?
Essay Topic 2
How did Peter come to meet Alexander Menshikov? What role of significance did he come to play in the Tsar's life?
Essay Topic 3
What often mortifying physical disorder began to afflict Peter in the prime of his early manhood?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)