|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After invading the Kremlin, for how many days did Muscovy's soldiers kill boyars?
2. Peter failed in his efforts with Leopold I to gain an ally against the Turks, as Austria was seeking peace in anticipation of new warfare in _____________.
3. Chapter 5 provided background on the "Old Believers" revolt against ritual reforms in the church that dated from ___________.
4. Eudoxia Lopukhina bore Peter __________ before they were estranged.
5. While he maintained his devotion to Orthodoxy, Peter investigated Anglicanism and was fascinated by which denomination?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sophia attempt to ensure that her brief state of thriving during Fedor's time continued following his death?
2. What was the youth of Charles XII of Sweden like?
3. What activities did Peter prefer to state ceremonies during Sophia's reign?
4. Why did Peter select the location he did for St. Petersburg?
5. What were some examples that reflected how seventeenth century European wars, despite deadliness and scope that steadily grew, still retained obedience of rules?
6. How did the author describe London in the era Peter visited?
7. What sequence transpired that resulted in Peter coming to power?
8. What was the astonishing test Peter applied to the welcome which noblemen offered him when he returned from the Great Embassy tour?
9. What took place for Peter on his initial trip to Archangel in 1693?
10. Why was Peter unsuccessful in gaining an ally against the Turks when he met Leopold I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter noted that a lone foreigner was capable of dispatching more affairs during a single morning than a house of his senators could accomplish in a month. What was the Tsar's day typically like when he was in St. Petersburg?
Essay Topic 2
When at dinner among Tsar Peter's lieutenants and friends in 1717, what was Prince Jacob Dolgoruky's response when Peter asked the seventy-eight year old how he compared the accomplishments of Tsar Alexis with those of Peter?
Essay Topic 3
From where did the author draw, "These Things are in Your Way," the title of Chapter 18?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)