|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Patkul, an anti-Swede from __________, stirred Peter and Augustus to action against Charles XII?
2. In Chapter 9, Peter was shown enjoying his freedom for how many more years?
3. Seventeenth century European wars were shown to be steadily growing in deadliness and scope, yet what rules were they still obeying?
4. Golitsyn was responsible for what foreign policy highpoint of the Regency?
5. Sweden, overextended at the peak of its power, ruled Estonia, Ingria, Finland, Karelia, Western Pomerania, Livonia, and ports near what location?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sequence transpired that resulted in Peter coming to power?
2. What did Peter initially state was his aim in attacking Sweden in the Great Northern War?
3. According to Chapter 9, what did Peter find in the German Suburb?
4. What were Peter's distinguishing physical characteristics when he was age 22?
5. What was Peter's key to power in Russia during the initial half of his life?
6. When Sophia became regent, what immediate test did she face?
7. What were some examples that reflected how seventeenth century European wars, despite deadliness and scope that steadily grew, still retained obedience of rules?
8. What was the youth of Charles XII of Sweden like?
9. How was Sophia overthrown?
10. What took place for Peter on his initial trip to Archangel in 1693?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the description of Peter's later years at court while in St. Petersburg given by Ambassador Frederich Christian Weber of Hanover compare with that of court life twenty years prior in Moscow presented by Johann-Georg Korb, secretary to a visiting Austrian ambassador?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Peter failed in his initial attack on Azov, but he was successful in a subsequent assault? In what manner did this affect his status in Russia and in Europe?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the author stipulate Peter's most extraordinary characteristic was his titanic energy?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)