|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take to build the Fortress of St. Peter and St. Paul by hand?
2. What were some ways Peter broke tradition beyond freeing himself of Eudoxia, shaving nobles' beards, and using decorations in lieu of land as rewards?
3. Peter's passion for sailing began when he and his tutor found, refurbished, and took a boat out on what lake?
4. What observation could be made about Peter given that he enjoyed Mock-Synod celebrations at Christmas and before Lent, stood with troops rather than the Patriarch at Epiphany when the Moscow River is blessed, and ended executions with bodies being buried as Lent begins?
5. Which friend did Peter bury In March, 1699?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activities did Peter prefer to state ceremonies during Sophia's reign?
2. Peter approached matters of religion in what manner?
3. What was there to describe as Russian industry prior to Peter's time?
4. When he came to power, what was the confrontation Charles XII faced with Peter?
5. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
6. What was Peter's key to power in Russia during the initial half of his life?
7. What did Charles XII and his advance regiments find upon arrival at Baturin on November 11?
8. What did Alexis do on the evening of November 10, 1716?
9. Why was Peter anxious to meet King William of England in Holland?
10. What was the astonishing test Peter applied to the welcome which noblemen offered him when he returned from the Great Embassy tour?
Essay Topic 1
How did the description of Peter's later years at court while in St. Petersburg given by Ambassador Frederich Christian Weber of Hanover compare with that of court life twenty years prior in Moscow presented by Johann-Georg Korb, secretary to a visiting Austrian ambassador?
Essay Topic 2
What was a visitor to Paris in 1717 likely to have seen? What was on the list Peter compiled of all he desired to look at and accomplish on his second historic trip to the West? How successful was his visit?
Essay Topic 3
What often mortifying physical disorder began to afflict Peter in the prime of his early manhood?
This section contains 1,536 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)