|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter was treated as an upstart monarch, but he behaved with decorum as he was eager to meet Leopold I, master of _____________.
2. Peter was concerned by the loss at Narva, but he spared nothing to outfit and train his new army under whom?
3. In Chapter 12, Peter felt the need to shore up a dying anti-Turkish alliance and European worries grew regarding whose ambitions?
4. Why did Peter go incognito to complete his education?
5. What did the author note Peter seemed to identify as the key while he embarked on his "Great Embassy" travels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Peter's key to power in Russia during the initial half of his life?
2. What was Peter's response following his initial defeat against Charles XII?
3. What were Peter's distinguishing physical characteristics when he was age 22?
4. How did Sophia attempt to ensure that her brief state of thriving during Fedor's time continued following his death?
5. When Sophia became regent, what immediate test did she face?
6. What significant affairs transpired during Sophia's reign?
7. Why was Peter unsuccessful in gaining an ally against the Turks when he met Leopold I?
8. Who did Peter meet when his Embassy came to an end unexpectedly, and he headed home?
9. What was the youth of Charles XII of Sweden like?
10. What activities did Peter prefer to state ceremonies during Sophia's reign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Peter failed in his initial attack on Azov, but he was successful in a subsequent assault? In what manner did this affect his status in Russia and in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Why was Charles XII no longer welcome in the Sublime Court toward the end of 1713? What plot developed out of the decision to send Charles back home, via one means or another? What was the outcome of this scheme?
Essay Topic 3
How did the description of Peter's later years at court while in St. Petersburg given by Ambassador Frederich Christian Weber of Hanover compare with that of court life twenty years prior in Moscow presented by Johann-Georg Korb, secretary to a visiting Austrian ambassador?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)