|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. William III was not ready when he met Peter during the "Great Embassy" to ally against which group?
2. Why did Peter go incognito to complete his education?
3. Sieges were preferred to open-field battle and frequently ended in what manner?
4. Peter was humiliated across Europe when Swedes broke through what type of defenses that the Russians built at Narva?
5. Tsar Alexis is described as what type of ruler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Moscow like in Peter's youth?
2. How did the author describe London in the era Peter visited?
3. Peter ventured into Holland with his Great Embassy for what purpose?
4. What did Peter initially state was his aim in attacking Sweden in the Great Northern War?
5. According to Chapter 9, what did Peter find in the German Suburb?
6. What were Peter's distinguishing physical characteristics when he was age 22?
7. What activities did Peter prefer to state ceremonies during Sophia's reign?
8. When he came to power, what was the confrontation Charles XII faced with Peter?
9. What took place for Peter on his initial trip to Archangel in 1693?
10. What were some examples that reflected how seventeenth century European wars, despite deadliness and scope that steadily grew, still retained obedience of rules?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Peter failed in his initial attack on Azov, but he was successful in a subsequent assault? In what manner did this affect his status in Russia and in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Why was Charles XII no longer welcome in the Sublime Court toward the end of 1713? What plot developed out of the decision to send Charles back home, via one means or another? What was the outcome of this scheme?
Essay Topic 3
What actions did Peter take in the usurpation of Sophia?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)