|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his mother died, Peter returned to Archangel, launched a ship, almost drowned on another, and took delivery and command of a warship built where?
2. What did the author note Peter seemed to identify as the key while he embarked on his "Great Embassy" travels?
3. Chapter 5 provided background on the "Old Believers" revolt against ritual reforms in the church that dated from ___________.
4. In Chapter 3, who was Sophia?
5. Reports that the Streltsy were marching against him sent Peter in flight by night to the historic Troitsky Monastery______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Peter's response following his initial defeat against Charles XII?
2. Why was Peter anxious to meet King William of England in Holland?
3. How did Sophia attempt to ensure that her brief state of thriving during Fedor's time continued following his death?
4. What were some examples that reflected how seventeenth century European wars, despite deadliness and scope that steadily grew, still retained obedience of rules?
5. Why was Peter unsuccessful in gaining an ally against the Turks when he met Leopold I?
6. Who did Peter meet when his Embassy came to an end unexpectedly, and he headed home?
7. What battle did Peter decide to engage in at age 22?
8. When he came to power, what was the confrontation Charles XII faced with Peter?
9. What took place for Peter on his initial trip to Archangel in 1693?
10. What were some ways Peter treated Anna Mons differently after he returned from his Great Embassy tour?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what manner did Martha Skavronskaya enter Peter's life? How did she rise from obscurity to eventually succeed to his post following his death?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Peter failed in his initial attack on Azov, but he was successful in a subsequent assault? In what manner did this affect his status in Russia and in Europe?
Essay Topic 3
What events transpired in the six weeks subsequent to the death of Charles XII that drastically affected the life of Baron Georg Heinrich von Goertz?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)