|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Sophia installed new cohorts including her lover, Prince Vasily Golitsyn, and which others?
2. What did the author note Peter seemed to identify as the key while he embarked on his "Great Embassy" travels?
3. Chapter 20 drew heavily on accounts by an Austrian named ______________________who depicts Peter partying as the events in the previous chapters unfold.
4. What were some ways Peter broke tradition beyond freeing himself of Eudoxia, shaving nobles' beards, and using decorations in lieu of land as rewards?
5. When Peter lived openly in the German suburb among foreigners, which three important friends did he make?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Moscow like in Peter's youth?
2. What were some examples that reflected how seventeenth century European wars, despite deadliness and scope that steadily grew, still retained obedience of rules?
3. What was the youth of Charles XII of Sweden like?
4. What was the astonishing test Peter applied to the welcome which noblemen offered him when he returned from the Great Embassy tour?
5. What was Peter's response following his initial defeat against Charles XII?
6. Who did Peter meet when his Embassy came to an end unexpectedly, and he headed home?
7. Why was Peter anxious to meet King William of England in Holland?
8. How did Sophia attempt to ensure that her brief state of thriving during Fedor's time continued following his death?
9. How did King William find Peter shortly following his arrival in London?
10. How was Sophia overthrown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what manner did Martha Skavronskaya enter Peter's life? How did she rise from obscurity to eventually succeed to his post following his death?
Essay Topic 2
From where did the author draw, "These Things are in Your Way," the title of Chapter 18?
Essay Topic 3
How did Peter come to meet Alexander Menshikov? What role of significance did he come to play in the Tsar's life?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)