|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, who was Sophia?
2. What was the name of the frigate Peter helped to construct?
3. Who kept order as Peter embarked on the "Great Embassy"?
4. Martha Skavronskaya, a peasant girl Sheremetev captured, later became Peter's wife and successor as _________.
5. Why did Peter go incognito to complete his education?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Peter's Great Embassy amaze his countrymen?
2. What was Peter's key to power in Russia during the initial half of his life?
3. Peter ventured into Holland with his Great Embassy for what purpose?
4. How did Sophia attempt to ensure that her brief state of thriving during Fedor's time continued following his death?
5. Why was Peter unsuccessful in gaining an ally against the Turks when he met Leopold I?
6. When he came to power, what was the confrontation Charles XII faced with Peter?
7. What was Peter's response following his initial defeat against Charles XII?
8. What were some ways Peter treated Anna Mons differently after he returned from his Great Embassy tour?
9. What was the youth of Charles XII of Sweden like?
10. How did the author describe London in the era Peter visited?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance did Andrew Vinius, Patrick Gordon, Francis Lefort, and the Jolly Company have in Peter's life?
Essay Topic 2
What often mortifying physical disorder began to afflict Peter in the prime of his early manhood?
Essay Topic 3
What was a visitor to Paris in 1717 likely to have seen? What was on the list Peter compiled of all he desired to look at and accomplish on his second historic trip to the West? How successful was his visit?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)