|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reports that the Streltsy were marching against him sent Peter in flight by night to the historic Troitsky Monastery______________.
2. Martha Skavronskaya, a peasant girl Sheremetev captured, later became Peter's wife and successor as _________.
3. Peter himself went incognito among the 250-member staff as whom?
4. The "Great Embassy" was led by Lefort, two key diplomats, and ____________.
5. In 1695, Peter attacked Azov, the Turkish fortress, to end Tatar raids in the Ukraine and gain access to which sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Peter ventured into Holland with his Great Embassy for what purpose?
2. What was Peter's key to power in Russia during the initial half of his life?
3. Who did Peter meet when his Embassy came to an end unexpectedly, and he headed home?
4. What was the youth of Charles XII of Sweden like?
5. What was Moscow like in Peter's youth?
6. How did the author describe London in the era Peter visited?
7. How was Sophia overthrown?
8. How did Sophia attempt to ensure that her brief state of thriving during Fedor's time continued following his death?
9. What did Peter initially state was his aim in attacking Sweden in the Great Northern War?
10. Why did Peter select the location he did for St. Petersburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Peter come to meet Alexander Menshikov? What role of significance did he come to play in the Tsar's life?
Essay Topic 2
When at dinner among Tsar Peter's lieutenants and friends in 1717, what was Prince Jacob Dolgoruky's response when Peter asked the seventy-eight year old how he compared the accomplishments of Tsar Alexis with those of Peter?
Essay Topic 3
What was Tsar Peter's reaction to Mazeppa's treason?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)