|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Seventeenth century European wars were shown to be steadily growing in deadliness and scope, yet what rules were they still obeying?
2. What observation could be made about Peter given that he enjoyed Mock-Synod celebrations at Christmas and before Lent, stood with troops rather than the Patriarch at Epiphany when the Moscow River is blessed, and ended executions with bodies being buried as Lent begins?
3. Peter won over the Patriarch, threatened to kill any who opposed him, and then commanded all foreign officers to do what?
4. William III met Peter, long an admirer of his military exploits against _____________.
5. Martha Skavronskaya, a peasant girl Sheremetev captured, later became Peter's wife and successor as _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Peter meet when his Embassy came to an end unexpectedly, and he headed home?
2. What was Peter's response following his initial defeat against Charles XII?
3. What was Peter's key to power in Russia during the initial half of his life?
4. Why did Peter select the location he did for St. Petersburg?
5. When Sophia became regent, what immediate test did she face?
6. What were some of the problems Peter found taking place in the shipyards at Voronezh when he returned from his Embassy tour?
7. What sequence transpired that resulted in Peter coming to power?
8. What did Peter initially state was his aim in attacking Sweden in the Great Northern War?
9. How did the author describe London in the era Peter visited?
10. What was the youth of Charles XII of Sweden like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Tsar Peter's reaction to Mazeppa's treason?
Essay Topic 2
How did the description of Peter's later years at court while in St. Petersburg given by Ambassador Frederich Christian Weber of Hanover compare with that of court life twenty years prior in Moscow presented by Johann-Georg Korb, secretary to a visiting Austrian ambassador?
Essay Topic 3
Why was Charles XII no longer welcome in the Sublime Court toward the end of 1713? What plot developed out of the decision to send Charles back home, via one means or another? What was the outcome of this scheme?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)