|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tsar Alexis is described as what type of ruler?
2. What was the name of the frigate Peter helped to construct?
3. "Great Embassy" member in Russia felt that Europeans who embraced music, art, literature, and science were _________.
4. Seventeenth century European wars were shown to be steadily growing in deadliness and scope, yet what rules were they still obeying?
5. Chapter 20 drew heavily on accounts by an Austrian named ______________________who depicts Peter partying as the events in the previous chapters unfold.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Peter initially state was his aim in attacking Sweden in the Great Northern War?
2. How did the author describe London in the era Peter visited?
3. How was Sophia overthrown?
4. How did Sophia attempt to ensure that her brief state of thriving during Fedor's time continued following his death?
5. What was Moscow like in Peter's youth?
6. Why was Peter anxious to meet King William of England in Holland?
7. Why did Peter's Great Embassy amaze his countrymen?
8. When Sophia became regent, what immediate test did she face?
9. According to Chapter 9, what did Peter find in the German Suburb?
10. What significant affairs transpired during Sophia's reign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the author stipulate Peter's most extraordinary characteristic was his titanic energy?
Essay Topic 2
Why was Charles XII no longer welcome in the Sublime Court toward the end of 1713? What plot developed out of the decision to send Charles back home, via one means or another? What was the outcome of this scheme?
Essay Topic 3
How did Peter come to meet Alexander Menshikov? What role of significance did he come to play in the Tsar's life?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)