|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter evaded an anti-Swedish alliance in Prussia to concentrate on whom?
2. Which nations sided with Charles XII against Denmark to keep the European political status quo?
3. Chapter 5 provided background on the "Old Believers" revolt against ritual reforms in the church that dated from ___________.
4. Why did Peter go incognito to complete his education?
5. Peter won over the Patriarch, threatened to kill any who opposed him, and then commanded all foreign officers to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Peter unsuccessful in gaining an ally against the Turks when he met Leopold I?
2. What were some ways Peter treated Anna Mons differently after he returned from his Great Embassy tour?
3. St. Petersburg came about in what fashion?
4. Why did Peter select the location he did for St. Petersburg?
5. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
6. What sort of effect did the arrival of Charles XII in Germany have?
7. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
8. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
9. Why was Peter anxious to meet King William of England in Holland?
10. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was a visitor to Paris in 1717 likely to have seen? What was on the list Peter compiled of all he desired to look at and accomplish on his second historic trip to the West? How successful was his visit?
Essay Topic 2
What events transpired in the six weeks subsequent to the death of Charles XII that drastically affected the life of Baron Georg Heinrich von Goertz?
Essay Topic 3
What were the fruits that Peter's triumph at Poltava afforded?
This section contains 1,494 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)