|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reports that the Streltsy were marching against him sent Peter in flight by night to the historic Troitsky Monastery______________.
2. Upset by Sophia, whom did the boyars rally around?
3. What observation could be made about Peter given that he enjoyed Mock-Synod celebrations at Christmas and before Lent, stood with troops rather than the Patriarch at Epiphany when the Moscow River is blessed, and ended executions with bodies being buried as Lent begins?
4. What did the author note Peter seemed to identify as the key while he embarked on his "Great Embassy" travels?
5. What did Peter use to assess the plot and rid himself of the menace?
Short Essay Questions
1. When he came to power, what was the confrontation Charles XII faced with Peter?
2. How was Sophia overthrown?
3. What took place for Peter on his initial trip to Archangel in 1693?
4. What were some of the problems Peter found taking place in the shipyards at Voronezh when he returned from his Embassy tour?
5. According to Chapter 9, what did Peter find in the German Suburb?
6. What was Moscow like in Peter's youth?
7. What was the astonishing test Peter applied to the welcome which noblemen offered him when he returned from the Great Embassy tour?
8. Who did Peter meet when his Embassy came to an end unexpectedly, and he headed home?
9. Peter ventured into Holland with his Great Embassy for what purpose?
10. What activities did Peter prefer to state ceremonies during Sophia's reign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since Peter knew Charles XII fully intended to lead his army across Poland to invade Russia, what measures of defense did he undertake?
Essay Topic 2
Why was the Tsar's Great Embassy one of only a couple of overwhelming events in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Peter noted that a lone foreigner was capable of dispatching more affairs during a single morning than a house of his senators could accomplish in a month. What was the Tsar's day typically like when he was in St. Petersburg?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)