|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Peter go incognito to complete his education?
2. Who was the King of Poland that Peter met en route home?
3. After his mother died, Peter returned to Archangel, launched a ship, almost drowned on another, and took delivery and command of a warship built where?
4. In 1695, Peter attacked Azov, the Turkish fortress, to end Tatar raids in the Ukraine and gain access to which sea?
5. Patriarch Nikon, who challenged Alexis and sternly enforced his own views, was deposed in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Peter initially state was his aim in attacking Sweden in the Great Northern War?
2. What sort of life did Catherine originate from?
3. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
4. What did Charles XII propose to his senior officers the day prior to the battle at Poltava in June, 1709?
5. In Chapter 33, what did the author describe Charles XII and Peter as having done in the early summer months?
6. Why did Charles XII turn south in mid-September and send General Anders Lagercrona's vanguard ahead?
7. What sort of effect did the arrival of Charles XII in Germany have?
8. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
9. What was Peter's response when he learned of the death of Charles XII?
10. What did Alexis do on the evening of November 10, 1716?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was the Tsar's Great Embassy one of only a couple of overwhelming events in his life?
Essay Topic 2
What events transpired in the six weeks subsequent to the death of Charles XII that drastically affected the life of Baron Georg Heinrich von Goertz?
Essay Topic 3
What often mortifying physical disorder began to afflict Peter in the prime of his early manhood?
This section contains 1,539 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)