|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter failed in his efforts with Leopold I to gain an ally against the Turks, as Austria was seeking peace in anticipation of new warfare in _____________.
2. Patkul, an anti-Swede from __________, stirred Peter and Augustus to action against Charles XII?
3. Which nations sided with Charles XII against Denmark to keep the European political status quo?
4. Chapter 24 summarized Charles XII's youth and stressed his love of military science and adventure before he took the throne at what age?
5. Martha Skavronskaya, a peasant girl Sheremetev captured, later became Peter's wife and successor as _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some ways Peter treated Anna Mons differently after he returned from his Great Embassy tour?
2. When he came to power, what was the confrontation Charles XII faced with Peter?
3. How was Sophia overthrown?
4. Why did Peter select the location he did for St. Petersburg?
5. According to Chapter 9, what did Peter find in the German Suburb?
6. What significant affairs transpired during Sophia's reign?
7. Why did Peter's Great Embassy amaze his countrymen?
8. How did the author describe London in the era Peter visited?
9. What was the astonishing test Peter applied to the welcome which noblemen offered him when he returned from the Great Embassy tour?
10. What sequence transpired that resulted in Peter coming to power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since Peter knew Charles XII fully intended to lead his army across Poland to invade Russia, what measures of defense did he undertake?
Essay Topic 2
What often mortifying physical disorder began to afflict Peter in the prime of his early manhood?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Peter failed in his initial attack on Azov, but he was successful in a subsequent assault? In what manner did this affect his status in Russia and in Europe?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)