|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How soon after Goertz went to Charles XII about having negotiated with Norway without authorization did Charles die?
(a) Seven days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) One day.
(d) Four days.
2. What happened to Swedish prisoners of war?
(b) Exchanged for Russian prisoners.
(c) Made into slaves.
(d) Dispersed to frontiers.
3. According to Chapter 29, what positive improvements were part of Peter's reign?
(a) Condition of elderly, medical developments, theater.
(b) Condition of deformed infants, tax reform, theater.
(c) Condition of foreigners, technical education, public housing.
(d) Condition of women, language education, a newspaper.
4. In what location were Alexis and Afrosinia initially hidden by Emperor Charles VI?
5. Charles XII was impatient, but a competent Russian attack surprised him when he crossed which waterway?
(a) Dvina River.
(b) Pripet River.
(c) Vistula River.
(d) Dnieper River.
Short Answer Questions
1. With Severia lost, where did Charles XII go?
2. Who died in 1715 after giving birth to Peter, a son?
3. Russia captured Riga and _________.
4. Seeking to restore old Moscow, Charles XII takes a direct thrust at Russia's heart rather than first restoring which sea?
5. Peter in 1704 seized Narva and Dorpat to protect _______and restore the army's honor.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
2. What were some ways Peter's second historic journey into the West differed from his first?
3. How did the reign of Louis XIV of France compare with Peter's of Russia?
4. What did Chapter 42, "Fifty Blows on the Pruth," take its title from?
5. What was Peter's response when he learned of the death of Charles XII?
6. Why was it Russia appeared to have significantly deteriorated in comparison to Sweden in the spring of 1720?
7. How did Peter compare with his son, Alexis?
8. Why did the Turkish Sultan want to send Charles XII home?
9. What did Charles XII and his advance regiments find upon arrival at Baturin on November 11?
10. Why did Peter decide to focus his attention on the conquest of the upper Baltic?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)