|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Peter was able to launch a disciplined infantry line which enveloped ________/
(a) Charging Swedes.
(b) Counter-striking Swedes.
(c) Fleeing Swedes.
(d) Retreating Swedes.
2. Chapter 46 examined the rapid growth of St. Petersburg following what year?
3. Peter was shown in Chapter 29 as an autocrat over the vast country which he divided into how many governorships?
4. In what location were Alexis and Afrosinia initially hidden by Emperor Charles VI?
5. Alexis was formally denounced, yet was promised forgiveness on what condition?
(a) He would publicly weep.
(b) He would publicly beg forgiveness.
(c) He would name accomplices.
(d) He would undertake military training.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being cornered, what areas did Peter abandon that resulted in his survival and making peace with Charles XII?
2. Who died in 1715 after giving birth to Peter, a son?
3. In Chapter 32, the Russians torched Poland to deny Charles provisions and bridges, and accomplish what else?
4. How was Louis XV related to Louis XIV?
5. Charles XII ordered the Poles to join him, hoping who would aid him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 33, what did the author describe Charles XII and Peter as having done in the early summer months?
2. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
3. How did the reign of Louis XIV of France compare with Peter's of Russia?
4. Given England's 100-ship Royal Navy, why did the Baltic powers have relatively smaller fleets?
5. What did Charles XII and his advance regiments find upon arrival at Baturin on November 11?
6. Why did the Turkish Sultan want to send Charles XII home?
7. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
8. Peter quickly suffered dismay upon his return to St. Petersburg on October 11, 1717, for what reason?
9. What was Peter's response when he learned of the death of Charles XII?
10. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)