|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Much of Charles XII's infantry wasted time on Peter's redoubts and was _________.
(a) Out of position for the main battle.
(b) Out of area where main battle transpires.
(c) Out of gunpowder for the main battle.
(d) Out of time for the main battle.
2. Peter was able to launch a disciplined infantry line which enveloped ________/
(a) Fleeing Swedes.
(b) Counter-striking Swedes.
(c) Retreating Swedes.
(d) Charging Swedes.
3. In Chapter 29, where were open rebellions by Streltsy repressed?
(a) Bashkirs, Don Cossacks, Lipetsk.
(b) Astrakhan, Bashkirs, Lipetsk.
(c) Astrakhan, Don Cossacks, Lipetsk.
(d) Astrakhan, Bashkirs, Don Cossacks.
4. After Charles XII was led into a trap, what did he and his troops lose?
(a) Warm quarters.
(b) Dry gunpowder.
(c) Safe retreat.
(d) Food rations.
5. How soon after Goertz went to Charles XII about having negotiated with Norway without authorization did Charles die?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Four days.
(c) One day.
(d) Seven days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine first married Peter quietly in _______, and later, with full pomp in ________.
2. England's William I, who had sent the fleet each summer to advance Hanover's interests, reversed alliances for what reason?
3. Despite people's pleas, Charles XII vowed to make which group join him or face annihilation?
4. How was Louis XV related to Louis XIV?
5. Peter was shown in Chapter 29 as an autocrat over the vast country which he divided into how many governorships?
Short Essay Questions
1. Peter quickly suffered dismay upon his return to St. Petersburg on October 11, 1717, for what reason?
2. Why did the Turkish Sultan want to send Charles XII home?
3. What were some ways Peter's second historic journey into the West differed from his first?
4. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
5. What sort of effect did the arrival of Charles XII in Germany have?
6. Throughout Peter's reign, why was he seen as constantly moving?
7. Why did Peter seek to control Dorpat and Narva in 1704?
8. In Chapter 33, what did the author describe Charles XII and Peter as having done in the early summer months?
9. Given England's 100-ship Royal Navy, why did the Baltic powers have relatively smaller fleets?
10. What was Peter's response when he learned of the death of Charles XII?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)