|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. Petersburg expanded from Petrograd Island onto the mainland, then downstream to where?
(a) Decembrist's Island.
(b) Vasilevsky Island.
(c) Dekabristov Island.
(d) Goloday Island.
2. Chapter 36 brought spring's oppressive heat, but Charles XII rejected what at this point?
(a) His officer's call to surrender.
(b) A peace feeler.
(c) His troops' call to flee.
(d) His officer's call to retreat.
3. Chapter 46 examined the rapid growth of St. Petersburg following what year?
4. After Charles XII was led into a trap, what did he and his troops lose?
(a) Dry gunpowder.
(b) Warm quarters.
(c) Safe retreat.
(d) Food rations.
5. Who told Alexis that surrendering was his only way of marrying Afrosina?
(a) Franz Timmermann.
(b) Peter Tolstoy.
(c) Jacob Turgenev.
(d) Ivan Tsykler.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 29, where were open rebellions by Streltsy repressed?
2. How was Louis XV related to Louis XIV?
3. When Afrosina provided proof of treason, what did Peter do?
4. After how long did Peter bid the Regent and King farewell?
5. While retaining the Baltic lands, what did Peter allow them to keep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Chapter 42, "Fifty Blows on the Pruth," take its title from?
2. Why did Charles XII turn south in mid-September and send General Anders Lagercrona's vanguard ahead?
3. What was Peter's response when he learned of the death of Charles XII?
4. How did Peter compare with his son, Alexis?
5. What did Charles XII propose to his senior officers the day prior to the battle at Poltava in June, 1709?
6. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
7. How did Peter respond to his Poltava triumph?
8. Given England's 100-ship Royal Navy, why did the Baltic powers have relatively smaller fleets?
9. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
10. Throughout Peter's reign, why was he seen as constantly moving?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)