|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 29, what positive improvements were part of Peter's reign?
(a) Condition of women, language education, a newspaper.
(b) Condition of foreigners, technical education, public housing.
(c) Condition of deformed infants, tax reform, theater.
(d) Condition of elderly, medical developments, theater.
2. Chapter 35 showed the effects of which year's intense cold that gripped all of Europe?
3. Who told Alexis that surrendering was his only way of marrying Afrosina?
(a) Jacob Turgenev.
(b) Ivan Tsykler.
(c) Franz Timmermann.
(d) Peter Tolstoy.
4. England's William I, who had sent the fleet each summer to advance Hanover's interests, reversed alliances for what reason?
(a) To thwart Russian mastery of the Baltic.
(b) To thwart Russian mastery of the Caspian.
(c) To thwart Russian mastery of the Bothnia.
(d) To thwart Russian mastery of the Barents.
5. What was Peter's view of his niece's marriage?
(a) Displeased him.
(b) No concern.
(c) Pleased him.
(d) Withheld judgment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 36 brought spring's oppressive heat, but Charles XII rejected what at this point?
2. Chapter 46 examined the rapid growth of St. Petersburg following what year?
3. Catherine first married Peter quietly in _______, and later, with full pomp in ________.
4. Charles XII ordered the Poles to join him, hoping who would aid him?
5. Ulrika, the sister of Charles XII, assumed the throne and ordered Goertz beheaded, which left Sweden as a _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author use the phrase "a place of carnage" to describe the battlefield at Poltava?
2. What sort of life did Catherine originate from?
3. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
4. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
5. How did the reign of Louis XIV of France compare with Peter's of Russia?
6. How did Peter compare with his son, Alexis?
7. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
8. Why did the Turkish Sultan want to send Charles XII home?
9. St. Petersburg came about in what fashion?
10. What did Charles XII and his advance regiments find upon arrival at Baturin on November 11?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)