|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What transpired after a broken Alexis was condemned to death?
(a) Escaped custody, returned to exile.
(b) Died before sentence is administered.
(c) Sentence commuted, exiled to monastery.
(d) Publicly admitted guilt, was forgiven.
2. Whom did Peter's son Alexis marry in Chapter 43?
(a) Princess Charlotte.
(b) Princess Chevelle.
(c) Princess Cecilia.
(d) Princess Champagne.
3. The fifty blows mentioned in the title of Chapter 42 were only half the number Peter deserved for risking capture at what location?
(a) Frigate Pruth.
(b) City of Pruth.
(c) Pruth River.
(d) Fortress Pruth.
4. Who died in 1715 after giving birth to Peter, a son?
5. Largely due to Peter Tolstoy's diplomacy, which group remained out of the Northern War?
Short Answer Questions
1. St. Petersburg expanded from Petrograd Island onto the mainland, then downstream to where?
2. Where did Charles XII flee as Peter made his first disciplined infantry launch?
3. Chapter 35 showed the effects of which year's intense cold that gripped all of Europe?
4. After Charles XII was led into a trap, what did he and his troops lose?
5. Peter's meddling with Ahmed's restive subjects in ______was covered in Chapter 41.
Short Essay Questions
1. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
2. What were some ways Peter's second historic journey into the West differed from his first?
3. Why did the Turkish Sultan want to send Charles XII home?
4. How did Peter compare with his son, Alexis?
5. Throughout Peter's reign, why was he seen as constantly moving?
6. Why did Peter decide to focus his attention on the conquest of the upper Baltic?
7. Why did Charles XII turn south in mid-September and send General Anders Lagercrona's vanguard ahead?
8. Why did the author use the phrase "a place of carnage" to describe the battlefield at Poltava?
9. Given England's 100-ship Royal Navy, why did the Baltic powers have relatively smaller fleets?
10. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)