|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 38, the Swedes were entrapped, and they convinced Charles XII to flee to what territory?
(a) Slovakian territory.
(b) Lithuanian territory.
(c) Polish territory.
(d) Turkish territory.
2. The fifty blows mentioned in the title of Chapter 42 were only half the number Peter deserved for risking capture at what location?
(a) Pruth River.
(b) Fortress Pruth.
(c) Frigate Pruth.
(d) City of Pruth.
3. Where did Charles XII flee as Peter made his first disciplined infantry launch?
(a) Tatar asylum.
(b) Catholic asylum.
(c) Royal asylum.
(d) Cossack asylum.
4. What was Peter's view of his niece's marriage?
(a) No concern.
(b) Pleased him.
(c) Withheld judgment.
(d) Displeased him.
5. On which bank did Peter's and others' mansions rise?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 50, what had Peter been oblivious to and curious about before Paris in 1717?
2. Peter engaged which philosopher to oversee administrative, educational, and legal reforms?
3. With Severia lost, where did Charles XII go?
4. Despite people's pleas, Charles XII vowed to make which group join him or face annihilation?
5. Upon meeting King Louis XV, Peter shocked the French by lifting him up and ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some ways Peter's second historic journey into the West differed from his first?
2. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
3. Throughout Peter's reign, why was he seen as constantly moving?
4. Why did Peter decide to focus his attention on the conquest of the upper Baltic?
5. What sort of life did Catherine originate from?
6. What did Charles XII and his advance regiments find upon arrival at Baturin on November 11?
7. Why did the author use the phrase "a place of carnage" to describe the battlefield at Poltava?
8. Why did Peter seek to control Dorpat and Narva in 1704?
9. What did Chapter 42, "Fifty Blows on the Pruth," take its title from?
10. What sort of effect did the arrival of Charles XII in Germany have?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)