|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles XII hoped to ally with Hetman Mazeppa, the Cossack who had been waiting for an opportunity to win independence for ___________.
(a) Forty years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Twenty years.
2. Charles XII went home to Sweden only after he took Danish Rügen. How many years had passed?
3. Who was the only individual who stood by Peter against William I?
(a) Frederick of Hesse.
(b) Frederick of Denmark.
(c) Fredrick William of Prussia.
(d) Frederick I of Prussia.
4. England's William I, who had sent the fleet each summer to advance Hanover's interests, reversed alliances for what reason?
(a) To thwart Russian mastery of the Caspian.
(b) To thwart Russian mastery of the Barents.
(c) To thwart Russian mastery of the Bothnia.
(d) To thwart Russian mastery of the Baltic.
5. St. Petersburg expanded from Petrograd Island onto the mainland, then downstream to where?
(a) Goloday Island.
(b) Dekabristov Island.
(c) Decembrist's Island.
(d) Vasilevsky Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alexis was formally denounced, yet was promised forgiveness on what condition?
2. What was Peter's view of his niece's marriage?
3. How soon after Goertz went to Charles XII about having negotiated with Norway without authorization did Charles die?
4. Peter, unaware if St. Petersburg or Moscow was the goal of Charles XII, set for both and burned a swath how long from Smolensk to Pskov?
5. Chapter 35 showed the effects of which year's intense cold that gripped all of Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some ways Peter's second historic journey into the West differed from his first?
2. In Chapter 33, what did the author describe Charles XII and Peter as having done in the early summer months?
3. What did Chapter 42, "Fifty Blows on the Pruth," take its title from?
4. Why did Charles XII turn south in mid-September and send General Anders Lagercrona's vanguard ahead?
5. Given England's 100-ship Royal Navy, why did the Baltic powers have relatively smaller fleets?
6. Why did Peter seek to control Dorpat and Narva in 1704?
7. How did the reign of Louis XIV of France compare with Peter's of Russia?
8. How did Peter respond to his Poltava triumph?
9. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
10. What did Charles XII and his advance regiments find upon arrival at Baturin on November 11?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)