|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 33, some 35,000 Swedes were against 57,500 Russians, with how many reinforcements respectively?
(a) 70,000, 110,000.
(b) 50,000, 90,000.
(c) 30,000, 70,000.
(d) 110,000, 70,000.
2. What transpired after a broken Alexis was condemned to death?
(a) Publicly admitted guilt, was forgiven.
(b) Sentence commuted, exiled to monastery.
(c) Died before sentence is administered.
(d) Escaped custody, returned to exile.
3. Peter in 1704 seized Narva and Dorpat to protect _______and restore the army's honor.
(a) St. Petersburg.
(d) .Nizhny Novgorod.
4. Charles XII ordered the Poles to join him, hoping who would aid him?
(a) Zaporozhsky Cossacks, Crimean Tatars.
(b) Zaporozhsky Tatars, Crimean Cossacks.
(c) Zaporozhsky and Crimean Tatars.
(d) Zaporozhsky and Crimean Cossacks.
5. Largely due to Peter Tolstoy's diplomacy, which group remained out of the Northern War?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Peter Petrovich when he was named heir?
2. Chapter 46 examined the rapid growth of St. Petersburg following what year?
3. England's William I, who had sent the fleet each summer to advance Hanover's interests, reversed alliances for what reason?
4. The rulers of which two Christian principalities secretly agreed to help in fighting Turkey?
5. Peter's westward travels in 1716-1717 had the following three goals: to recover his health, to attend his niece's wedding, and to __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it Russia appeared to have significantly deteriorated in comparison to Sweden in the spring of 1720?
2. St. Petersburg came about in what fashion?
3. What did Alexis do on the evening of November 10, 1716?
4. Why did Peter decide to focus his attention on the conquest of the upper Baltic?
5. Why did Charles XII turn south in mid-September and send General Anders Lagercrona's vanguard ahead?
6. How did the reign of Louis XIV of France compare with Peter's of Russia?
7. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
8. Peter quickly suffered dismay upon his return to St. Petersburg on October 11, 1717, for what reason?
9. What was Peter's response when he learned of the death of Charles XII?
10. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)