|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What injury lay Charles XII up nearly dead from infection?
(d) Horse fall.
2. Catherine first married Peter quietly in _______, and later, with full pomp in ________.
(a) 1705, 1706.
(b) 1707, 1708.
(c) 1711, 1712.
(d) 1709, 1710.
3. Where did Charles XII flee as Peter made his first disciplined infantry launch?
(a) Tatar asylum.
(b) Cossack asylum.
(c) Catholic asylum.
(d) Royal asylum.
4. What transpired after a broken Alexis was condemned to death?
(a) Escaped custody, returned to exile.
(b) Died before sentence is administered.
(c) Sentence commuted, exiled to monastery.
(d) Publicly admitted guilt, was forgiven.
5. Chapter 35 showed the effects of which year's intense cold that gripped all of Europe?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Swedish prisoners of war?
2. Chapter 36 brought spring's oppressive heat, but Charles XII rejected what at this point?
3. After being cornered, what areas did Peter abandon that resulted in his survival and making peace with Charles XII?
4. Who told Alexis that surrendering was his only way of marrying Afrosina?
5. Russia captured Riga and _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
2. Peter quickly suffered dismay upon his return to St. Petersburg on October 11, 1717, for what reason?
3. What did Charles XII propose to his senior officers the day prior to the battle at Poltava in June, 1709?
4. Why was it Russia appeared to have significantly deteriorated in comparison to Sweden in the spring of 1720?
5. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
6. How did Peter respond to his Poltava triumph?
7. What did Chapter 42, "Fifty Blows on the Pruth," take its title from?
8. How did Peter compare with his son, Alexis?
9. Why did the Turkish Sultan want to send Charles XII home?
10. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)