|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Peter had ten redoubts built in what formation, that slowed enemy attacks?
2. Russia captured Riga and _________.
3. When Peter ordered the fortress at Grodno abandoned, Charles XII was freed to invade what region?
4. What title of Chapter 39 reflected the celebration of deliverance and foreign capitals that offered dynastic marriages and treaties?
(a) "The Fruits of Pryluky."
(b) "The Fruits of Poltava."
(c) "The Fruits of Perechyn."
(d) "The Fruits of Pervomaisk."
5. Despite people's pleas, Charles XII vowed to make which group join him or face annihilation?
(c) Western Pomeranians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter was heading home via which city when he met Prussia's King Frederick I and his son Frederick William?
2. Seeking to restore old Moscow, Charles XII takes a direct thrust at Russia's heart rather than first restoring which sea?
3. Why was it that Peter's 1717 visit to France yielded no diplomatic fruit?
4. How soon after Goertz went to Charles XII about having negotiated with Norway without authorization did Charles die?
5. Peter's westward travels in 1716-1717 had the following three goals: to recover his health, to attend his niece's wedding, and to __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of life did Catherine originate from?
2. How did the reign of Louis XIV of France compare with Peter's of Russia?
3. Why did Peter seek to control Dorpat and Narva in 1704?
4. What did Charles XII propose to his senior officers the day prior to the battle at Poltava in June, 1709?
5. How did Peter respond to his Poltava triumph?
6. Throughout Peter's reign, why was he seen as constantly moving?
7. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
8. What did Alexis do on the evening of November 10, 1716?
9. In Chapter 33, what did the author describe Charles XII and Peter as having done in the early summer months?
10. Why did Peter decide to focus his attention on the conquest of the upper Baltic?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)