|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ulrika, the sister of Charles XII, assumed the throne and ordered Goertz beheaded, which left Sweden as a _________.
(a) Vantage point.
(b) Stable power.
(c) Sovereign country.
2. How soon after Goertz went to Charles XII about having negotiated with Norway without authorization did Charles die?
(a) One day.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Seven days.
3. In Chapter 29, where were open rebellions by Streltsy repressed?
(a) Bashkirs, Don Cossacks, Lipetsk.
(b) Astrakhan, Bashkirs, Don Cossacks.
(c) Astrakhan, Don Cossacks, Lipetsk.
(d) Astrakhan, Bashkirs, Lipetsk.
4. Peter was able to launch a disciplined infantry line which enveloped ________/
(a) Counter-striking Swedes.
(b) Charging Swedes.
(c) Retreating Swedes.
(d) Fleeing Swedes.
5. In Chapter 51, Peter came home to handle a governmental mess and confront Tsarevich Alexis about his _________.
(a) Future parental responsibility.
(b) Future marital responsibility.
(c) Future monarchical responsibility.
(d) Future religious responsibility.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unable to fight with Sweden or Britain in new "ship-of-the-line" warships, what did Peter build that could sail close to shore and swarm larger ships?
2. Chapter 45 showed Charles XII held in Adrianople for how long while Turkey and Russia concluded peace?
3. Which vast Ottoman Empire situation was surveyed in Chapter 40?
4. Which Councillor of State controlled French foreign policy because of the age of Louis XV?
5. Peter had ten redoubts built in what formation, that slowed enemy attacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Throughout Peter's reign, why was he seen as constantly moving?
2. What were some ways Peter's second historic journey into the West differed from his first?
3. What did Alexis do on the evening of November 10, 1716?
4. What did Chapter 42, "Fifty Blows on the Pruth," take its title from?
5. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
6. Why was it Russia appeared to have significantly deteriorated in comparison to Sweden in the spring of 1720?
7. Why did the Turkish Sultan want to send Charles XII home?
8. What was Peter's response when he learned of the death of Charles XII?
9. In Chapter 33, what did the author describe Charles XII and Peter as having done in the early summer months?
10. Why did Peter decide to focus his attention on the conquest of the upper Baltic?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)