|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. Petersburg expanded from Petrograd Island onto the mainland, then downstream to where?
(a) Decembrist's Island.
(b) Dekabristov Island.
(c) Vasilevsky Island.
(d) Goloday Island.
2. Peter was heading home via which city when he met Prussia's King Frederick I and his son Frederick William?
3. Who died in 1715 after giving birth to Peter, a son?
4. Chapter 36 brought spring's oppressive heat, but Charles XII rejected what at this point?
(a) His troops' call to flee.
(b) His officer's call to retreat.
(c) A peace feeler.
(d) His officer's call to surrender.
5. The fifty blows mentioned in the title of Chapter 42 were only half the number Peter deserved for risking capture at what location?
(a) Frigate Pruth.
(b) City of Pruth.
(c) Pruth River.
(d) Fortress Pruth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How soon after Goertz went to Charles XII about having negotiated with Norway without authorization did Charles die?
2. Peter, unaware if St. Petersburg or Moscow was the goal of Charles XII, set for both and burned a swath how long from Smolensk to Pskov?
3. Ulrika, the sister of Charles XII, assumed the throne and ordered Goertz beheaded, which left Sweden as a _________.
4. Following his stay in Adrianople, where did Charles XII race?
5. While retaining the Baltic lands, what did Peter allow them to keep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Peter never have to simultaneously fight two enemies?
2. How did the reign of Louis XIV of France compare with Peter's of Russia?
3. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
4. Why did the author use the phrase "a place of carnage" to describe the battlefield at Poltava?
5. Why was it Russia appeared to have significantly deteriorated in comparison to Sweden in the spring of 1720?
6. According to Chapter 36, how confident did Charles XII feel in early April ?
7. Why did Peter decide to focus his attention on the conquest of the upper Baltic?
8. Given England's 100-ship Royal Navy, why did the Baltic powers have relatively smaller fleets?
9. Throughout Peter's reign, why was he seen as constantly moving?
10. How did Peter respond to his Poltava triumph?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)