|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles XII was impatient, but a competent Russian attack surprised him when he crossed which waterway?
(a) Dnieper River.
(b) Vistula River.
(c) Dvina River.
(d) Pripet River.
2. According to Chapter 50, what had Peter been oblivious to and curious about before Paris in 1717?
(a) Oblivious to grandeur, curious about architecture.
(b) Oblivious to pomp, curious about museums.
(c) Oblivious to resplendence, curious about theater.
(d) Oblivious to majesty, curious about everything.
3. Which Councillor of State controlled French foreign policy because of the age of Louis XV?
(a) Charles Eugene, Duc Du Croy.
(b) Abbé Guillaume Dubois.
(c) Anthony Devier.
(d) Philippe, Duc d'Orléans.
4. On which bank did Peter's and others' mansions rise?
5. Why was it that Peter's 1717 visit to France yielded no diplomatic fruit?
(a) Regent were set to ally with England, George II hated Peter.
(b) Regent were set to ally with England, George I hated Peter.
(c) Councillor of State was set to ally with England, George II hated Peter.
(d) Councillor of State was set to ally with England, George I hated Peter.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rulers of which two Christian principalities secretly agreed to help in fighting Turkey?
2. Due to the French monarch's age, who served as Regent for Louis XV?
3. Peter's westward travels in 1716-1717 had the following three goals: to recover his health, to attend his niece's wedding, and to __________.
4. Peter had ten redoubts built in what formation, that slowed enemy attacks?
5. Peter was able to launch a disciplined infantry line which enveloped ________/
Short Essay Questions
1. Given England's 100-ship Royal Navy, why did the Baltic powers have relatively smaller fleets?
2. What did Alexis do on the evening of November 10, 1716?
3. What did Chapter 42, "Fifty Blows on the Pruth," take its title from?
4. Why did Charles XII turn south in mid-September and send General Anders Lagercrona's vanguard ahead?
5. Why did the Turkish Sultan want to send Charles XII home?
6. How did Peter compare with his son, Alexis?
7. Why did Peter seek to control Dorpat and Narva in 1704?
8. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
9. Why was it Russia appeared to have significantly deteriorated in comparison to Sweden in the spring of 1720?
10. How did the reign of Louis XIV of France compare with Peter's of Russia?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)