|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Peter was concerned by the loss at Narva, but he spared nothing to outfit and train his new army under whom?
(a) Boris Sheremetev.
(b) Markus Sheremetev.
(c) Brutus Sheremetev.
(d) Alexis Sheremetev.
2. After serfs and peasants were drafted by the thousands for unskilled shipbuilding labor, what work moved swiftly despite what?
(a) High desertion and death rates, minimal machinery,
(b) High desertion and death rates, poor machinery,
(c) Moderate desertion and death rates, no machinery,
(d) High desertion and death rates, no machinery,
3. The foes that surrounded Orthodox Russia included Sweden, Poland, the Ottoman Empire, and which other enemy?
(a) Great Britain.
4. Sieges were preferred to open-field battle and frequently ended in what manner?
(a) Minimal deaths.
(b) Religious sanctuary.
(c) Massive retreat.
(d) Honorable surrender.
5. Peter himself went incognito among the 250-member staff as whom?
(a) Peter Voznitsyn.
(b) Peter Golovin.
(c) Peter Makarov.
(d) Peter Mikhailov.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Peter lose his father?
2. Peter dealt harshly with robbers and beggars, especially ones who ________________.
3. In Chapter 25, Peter attacked a 13th-century Estonian seaport fortress that was defended by how many men?
4. Chapter 20 drew heavily on accounts by an Austrian named ______________________who depicts Peter partying as the events in the previous chapters unfold.
5. Peter was humiliated across Europe when Swedes broke through what type of defenses that the Russians built at Narva?
Short Essay Questions
1. Peter ventured into Holland with his Great Embassy for what purpose?
2. What activities did Peter prefer to state ceremonies during Sophia's reign?
3. What battle did Peter decide to engage in at age 22?
4. When he came to power, what was the confrontation Charles XII faced with Peter?
5. Why was Peter anxious to meet King William of England in Holland?
6. What significant affairs transpired during Sophia's reign?
7. What sequence transpired that resulted in Peter coming to power?
8. What were some examples that reflected how seventeenth century European wars, despite deadliness and scope that steadily grew, still retained obedience of rules?
9. Why did Peter select the location he did for St. Petersburg?
10. Who was Russia's Fedor Golovin?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)