|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Sophia use Fedor's funeral to break tradition?
(a) Mourned, raged publicly.
(b) Mourned, prayed privately.
(c) Mourned, cried publicly.
(d) Mourned, chanted publicly.
2. "Great Embassy" member in Russia felt that Europeans who embraced music, art, literature, and science were _________.
3. The new army under Sheremetev used artillery rebuilt from scratch using melted down iron from _______.
(a) Cemetery and church gates.
(b) Church bells.
(c) Tools, farming implements.
(d) Old cannons.
4. Sweden, overextended at the peak of its power, ruled Estonia, Ingria, Finland, Karelia, Western Pomerania, Livonia, and ports near what location?
5. What happened to Peter's great fleet when he sent an envoy on the first Russian warship to enter the Black Sea?
(a) Sold, leaving sailors to march back.
(b) Rotted unused for lack of purpose.
(c) Relinquished as part of the truce.
(d) Engaged in future warfare service.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Peter send the "Great Embassy" to Europe to recruit and study?
2. Peter won over the Patriarch, threatened to kill any who opposed him, and then commanded all foreign officers to do what?
3. Chapter 20 drew heavily on accounts by an Austrian named ______________________who depicts Peter partying as the events in the previous chapters unfold.
4. What were some ways Peter broke tradition beyond freeing himself of Eudoxia, shaving nobles' beards, and using decorations in lieu of land as rewards?
5. Why did Peter go incognito to complete his education?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Peter unsuccessful in gaining an ally against the Turks when he met Leopold I?
2. Why did Peter select the location he did for St. Petersburg?
3. What was Peter's response following his initial defeat against Charles XII?
4. Why did Peter's Great Embassy amaze his countrymen?
5. What battle did Peter decide to engage in at age 22?
6. Peter ventured into Holland with his Great Embassy for what purpose?
7. What was the astonishing test Peter applied to the welcome which noblemen offered him when he returned from the Great Embassy tour?
8. What were Peter's distinguishing physical characteristics when he was age 22?
9. What were some of the problems Peter found taking place in the shipyards at Voronezh when he returned from his Embassy tour?
10. What was the youth of Charles XII of Sweden like?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)