|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seventeenth century European wars were shown to be steadily growing in deadliness and scope, yet what rules were they still obeying?
(a) Use of catapults, horses, caissons.
(b) Seasonal campaigning.
(c) Use of shields, swords, spears.
(d) Afternoon tea sessions.
2. What happened to Sophia after her inner circle was tortured and Peter refused to see her?
(a) She was sent for life to Novodevichy Convent.
(b) She was executed.
(c) She was forced to see the torture and execution of her inner circle.
(d) She was banished to Golitsyn's place of exile.
3. Where did Peter build an outpost that grew into the Kronstadt naval base?
(a) Bornholm Island.
(b) Wolin Island.
(c) Kotlin Island.
(d) Gotland Island.
4. Frederick of Denmark dropped out of the conflict following what?
(a) Very bloody campaign.
(b) Totally bloodless campaign.
(c) Near annihilation.
(d) Nearly bloodless campaign.
5. William III met Peter, long an admirer of his military exploits against _____________.
(b) The Greek Orthodox Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of Golitsyn's encounter with the Khan of the Crimea?
2. Patkul, an anti-Swede from __________, stirred Peter and Augustus to action against Charles XII?
3. What were some ways Peter broke tradition beyond freeing himself of Eudoxia, shaving nobles' beards, and using decorations in lieu of land as rewards?
4. What observation could be made about Peter given that he enjoyed Mock-Synod celebrations at Christmas and before Lent, stood with troops rather than the Patriarch at Epiphany when the Moscow River is blessed, and ended executions with bodies being buried as Lent begins?
5. When was Peter born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Peter's distinguishing physical characteristics when he was age 22?
2. What significant affairs transpired during Sophia's reign?
3. What was Peter's response following his initial defeat against Charles XII?
4. Why was Peter anxious to meet King William of England in Holland?
5. What did Peter initially state was his aim in attacking Sweden in the Great Northern War?
6. How did Sophia attempt to ensure that her brief state of thriving during Fedor's time continued following his death?
7. Why was Peter unsuccessful in gaining an ally against the Turks when he met Leopold I?
8. How did the author describe London in the era Peter visited?
9. When Sophia became regent, what immediate test did she face?
10. What was the astonishing test Peter applied to the welcome which noblemen offered him when he returned from the Great Embassy tour?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)