|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The foes that surrounded Orthodox Russia included Sweden, Poland, the Ottoman Empire, and which other enemy?
(d) Great Britain.
2. What happened to Sophia after her inner circle was tortured and Peter refused to see her?
(a) She was executed.
(b) She was forced to see the torture and execution of her inner circle.
(c) She was banished to Golitsyn's place of exile.
(d) She was sent for life to Novodevichy Convent.
3. What were some ways Peter broke tradition beyond freeing himself of Eudoxia, shaving nobles' beards, and using decorations in lieu of land as rewards?
(a) Offering land in exchange for military service.
(b) Reforming the calendar and currency.
(c) Affording peasants, not serfs, voting rights.
(d) Reforming Russian feudal system.
4. Sophia surveyed the plight of women in 17th-century Russia and ______________in particular.
(a) Peasant women.
(b) Women serfs.
(c) Female students, housed in a school "terem."
(d) Royal sisters.
5. Peter was humiliated across Europe when Swedes broke through what type of defenses that the Russians built at Narva?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Peter lose his father?
2. Leopold I promised not to relinquish gains Peter made at Azov, but he offered no assistance in gaining entry to which sea?
3. How long did Peter work at the Dutch company to learn his trade?
4. Peter himself went incognito among the 250-member staff as whom?
5. Seventeenth century European wars were shown to be steadily growing in deadliness and scope, yet what rules were they still obeying?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 9, what did Peter find in the German Suburb?
2. When Sophia became regent, what immediate test did she face?
3. What intentional humiliations did former elite troops that comprised old Muscovite armies sustain following Sophia's downfall?
4. How did the author describe London in the era Peter visited?
5. Why was Peter anxious to meet King William of England in Holland?
6. What was Peter's response following his initial defeat against Charles XII?
7. What significant affairs transpired during Sophia's reign?
8. What were some of the problems Peter found taking place in the shipyards at Voronezh when he returned from his Embassy tour?
9. What did Peter initially state was his aim in attacking Sweden in the Great Northern War?
10. Who did Peter meet when his Embassy came to an end unexpectedly, and he headed home?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)