|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Peter evaded an anti-Swedish alliance in Prussia to concentrate on whom?
2. Charles XII broke traditions, proved rash in using disciplined troops, and forced battles. How long did it take for Russia to stand up to him?
(a) Several decades.
3. In Chapter 3, who was Sophia?
4. What observation could be made about Peter given that he enjoyed Mock-Synod celebrations at Christmas and before Lent, stood with troops rather than the Patriarch at Epiphany when the Moscow River is blessed, and ended executions with bodies being buried as Lent begins?
(a) Peter's moods swang unpredictably.
(b) Peter's actions were predictable.
(c) Peter's exploits were well thought out.
(d) Peter's reasoning was systematic.
5. Golitsyn was responsible for what foreign policy highpoint of the Regency?
(a) Return of Kazan to Russian control.
(b) Return of Moscow to Russian control.
(c) Return of Kiev to Russian control.
(d) Return of Perm to Russian control.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sophia surveyed the plight of women in 17th-century Russia and ______________in particular.
2. How long did Peter work at the Dutch company to learn his trade?
3. Why did Peter go incognito to complete his education?
4. Peter dealt harshly with robbers and beggars, especially ones who ________________.
5. As many fundamentalists rallied behind Archpriest Avvakum, where did others populate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the astonishing test Peter applied to the welcome which noblemen offered him when he returned from the Great Embassy tour?
2. What did Peter initially state was his aim in attacking Sweden in the Great Northern War?
3. What significant affairs transpired during Sophia's reign?
4. What took place for Peter on his initial trip to Archangel in 1693?
5. What was the youth of Charles XII of Sweden like?
6. What were Peter's distinguishing physical characteristics when he was age 22?
7. What were some examples that reflected how seventeenth century European wars, despite deadliness and scope that steadily grew, still retained obedience of rules?
8. How did Sophia attempt to ensure that her brief state of thriving during Fedor's time continued following his death?
9. Why was Peter unsuccessful in gaining an ally against the Turks when he met Leopold I?
10. When Sophia became regent, what immediate test did she face?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)