|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take to build the Fortress of St. Peter and St. Paul by hand?
(a) Fifteen months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Ten months.
(d) Twenty months.
2. What was the result of Golitsyn's encounter with the Khan of the Crimea?
(a) One failed and one victorious campaigns.
(b) Two failed campaigns.
(c) One victorious campaign.
(d) One failed campaign.
3. Where did Peter build an outpost that grew into the Kronstadt naval base?
(a) Bornholm Island.
(b) Wolin Island.
(c) Kotlin Island.
(d) Gotland Island.
4. At what age did Peter lose his father?
5. In 1695, Peter attacked Azov, the Turkish fortress, to end Tatar raids in the Ukraine and gain access to which sea?
(a) Mediterranean Sea.
(b) Black Sea.
(c) Red Sea.
(d) Baltic Sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his mother died, Peter returned to Archangel, launched a ship, almost drowned on another, and took delivery and command of a warship built where?
2. Peter dealt grimly with the Streltsy after they marched _____________ to replace the absent Tsar.
3. Peter was concerned by the loss at Narva, but he spared nothing to outfit and train his new army under whom?
4. Peter could be easily identified and thronged until he was set up securely in which dockyard?
5. What happened to Sophia after her inner circle was tortured and Peter refused to see her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Peter's Great Embassy amaze his countrymen?
2. What were some of the problems Peter found taking place in the shipyards at Voronezh when he returned from his Embassy tour?
3. What sort of effect did the arrival of Charles XII in Germany have?
4. Given England's 100-ship Royal Navy, why did the Baltic powers have relatively smaller fleets?
5. What battle did Peter decide to engage in at age 22?
6. How did Sophia attempt to ensure that her brief state of thriving during Fedor's time continued following his death?
7. What was the astonishing test Peter applied to the welcome which noblemen offered him when he returned from the Great Embassy tour?
8. Why was Peter unsuccessful in gaining an ally against the Turks when he met Leopold I?
9. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
10. What were some ways Peter's second historic journey into the West differed from his first?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)