|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sophia surveyed the plight of women in 17th-century Russia and ______________in particular.
(a) Women serfs.
(b) Peasant women.
(c) Royal sisters.
(d) Female students, housed in a school "terem."
2. Peter himself went incognito among the 250-member staff as whom?
(a) Peter Voznitsyn.
(b) Peter Mikhailov.
(c) Peter Golovin.
(d) Peter Makarov.
3. When did Charles XII launch his surprise campaign against Narva?
4. How long did Peter work at the Dutch company to learn his trade?
(a) One year.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Four months.
5. In Chapter 7, Sophia installed new cohorts including her lover, Prince Vasily Golitsyn, and which others?
(a) Defense minister, political advisor.
(b) Financial advisor, religious minister.
(c) Prime minister, cultural counselor.
(d) Chief advisor, principle minister.
Short Answer Questions
1. The foes that surrounded Orthodox Russia included Sweden, Poland, the Ottoman Empire, and which other enemy?
2. Chapter 20 drew heavily on accounts by an Austrian named ______________________who depicts Peter partying as the events in the previous chapters unfold.
3. Peter was concerned by the loss at Narva, but he spared nothing to outfit and train his new army under whom?
4. How long did it take to build the Fortress of St. Peter and St. Paul by hand?
5. When was Peter born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What intentional humiliations did former elite troops that comprised old Muscovite armies sustain following Sophia's downfall?
2. What were some examples that reflected how seventeenth century European wars, despite deadliness and scope that steadily grew, still retained obedience of rules?
3. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
4. What were some ways Peter treated Anna Mons differently after he returned from his Great Embassy tour?
5. What did Alexis do on the evening of November 10, 1716?
6. Peter quickly suffered dismay upon his return to St. Petersburg on October 11, 1717, for what reason?
7. What did Peter initially state was his aim in attacking Sweden in the Great Northern War?
8. Who was Russia's Fedor Golovin?
9. What was Moscow like in Peter's youth?
10. Why did Peter decide to focus his attention on the conquest of the upper Baltic?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)