|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Streltsy mobilized against rumors that Peter would kill whom in Chapter 8?
(a) Sophia, Eudoxia.
(b) Ivan, Sophia.
(c) Sophia, Prince Golitsyn.
(d) Prince Golitsyn, Ivan.
2. At what age did Peter lose his father?
3. What happened to Sophia after her inner circle was tortured and Peter refused to see her?
(a) She was forced to see the torture and execution of her inner circle.
(b) She was executed.
(c) She was sent for life to Novodevichy Convent.
(d) She was banished to Golitsyn's place of exile.
4. What was William III doing in Holland when the "Great Embassy" arrived?
(a) Conducting two wars simultaneously.
(b) Preparing for a war abroad,
(c) Concluding two separate wars,
(d) Concluding one war, preparing for another,
5. William III met Peter, long an admirer of his military exploits against _____________.
(b) The Greek Orthodox Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 21 reflected Peter was back at his highest priority, finding in his shipyards any waste, shortages, or ________.
2. What did the author note Peter seemed to identify as the key while he embarked on his "Great Embassy" travels?
3. "Great Embassy" member in Russia felt that Europeans who embraced music, art, literature, and science were _________.
4. Chapter 15 reflected William III, simultaneously King of England and Stadholder of Holland, as __________.
5. The "Great Embassy" ended abruptly before a trip to ________________because word came that the Streltsy were rebelling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Given England's 100-ship Royal Navy, why did the Baltic powers have relatively smaller fleets?
2. Throughout Peter's reign, why was he seen as constantly moving?
3. What did Charles XII propose to his senior officers the day prior to the battle at Poltava in June, 1709?
4. What took place in the Great Audience Hall in Moscow on February 3, 1718?
5. Why was Peter anxious to meet King William of England in Holland?
6. What sequence transpired that resulted in Peter coming to power?
7. Peter gave orders as early as January, 1707, that directed what to be done to Poland?
8. What were some ways Peter's second historic journey into the West differed from his first?
9. What did Charles XII and his advance regiments find upon arrival at Baturin on November 11?
10. In Chapter 33, what did the author describe Charles XII and Peter as having done in the early summer months?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)