|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Peter send the "Great Embassy" to Europe to recruit and study?
(a) Twenty-four months.
(b) Twelve months.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Thirty months.
2. The "Great Embassy" was led by Lefort, two key diplomats, and ____________.
3. Martha Skavronskaya, a peasant girl Sheremetev captured, later became Peter's wife and successor as _________.
(a) Catherine I.
(b) Catherine II.
(c) Martha II.
(d) Martha I.
4. During the period when Peter built a warship, endangered himself with war games and fireworks, and ignored the Kremlin, what almost took his life?
(d) Yellow fever.
5. Peter was shown in Chapter 6 as having preferred activities out of the way at _______________.
(c) Pavlovsky Posad.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Peter work at the Dutch company to learn his trade?
2. Peter was treated as an upstart monarch, but he behaved with decorum as he was eager to meet Leopold I, master of _____________.
3. In what year did Peter first visit Archangel, Russia's only port near the Arctic Circle?
4. Chapter 20 drew heavily on accounts by an Austrian named ______________________who depicts Peter partying as the events in the previous chapters unfold.
5. How long did it take to build the Fortress of St. Peter and St. Paul by hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Peter initially state was his aim in attacking Sweden in the Great Northern War?
2. According to Chapter 9, what did Peter find in the German Suburb?
3. When Sophia became regent, what immediate test did she face?
4. What activities did Peter prefer to state ceremonies during Sophia's reign?
5. What were some ways Peter treated Anna Mons differently after he returned from his Great Embassy tour?
6. What was Peter's key to power in Russia during the initial half of his life?
7. What was the astonishing test Peter applied to the welcome which noblemen offered him when he returned from the Great Embassy tour?
8. Why was Peter anxious to meet King William of England in Holland?
9. What were some examples that reflected how seventeenth century European wars, despite deadliness and scope that steadily grew, still retained obedience of rules?
10. What sequence transpired that resulted in Peter coming to power?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)