|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Peter's great fleet when he sent an envoy on the first Russian warship to enter the Black Sea?
(a) Rotted unused for lack of purpose.
(b) Sold, leaving sailors to march back.
(c) Engaged in future warfare service.
(d) Relinquished as part of the truce.
2. What were some ways Peter broke tradition beyond freeing himself of Eudoxia, shaving nobles' beards, and using decorations in lieu of land as rewards?
(a) Affording peasants, not serfs, voting rights.
(b) Reforming Russian feudal system.
(c) Reforming the calendar and currency.
(d) Offering land in exchange for military service.
3. During what year did Muscovy's soldiers believe Sophia's rumors of treachery?
4. In Chapter 7, Sophia installed new cohorts including her lover, Prince Vasily Golitsyn, and which others?
(a) Prime minister, cultural counselor.
(b) Defense minister, political advisor.
(c) Financial advisor, religious minister.
(d) Chief advisor, principle minister.
5. How did Sophia use Fedor's funeral to break tradition?
(a) Mourned, raged publicly.
(b) Mourned, prayed privately.
(c) Mourned, chanted publicly.
(d) Mourned, cried publicly.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Fedor died in 1682 without an heir, the choice was between Peter and ____________.
2. What was the result of Golitsyn's encounter with the Khan of the Crimea?
3. Why did Peter go incognito to complete his education?
4. In 1695, Peter attacked Azov, the Turkish fortress, to end Tatar raids in the Ukraine and gain access to which sea?
5. During the period when Peter built a warship, endangered himself with war games and fireworks, and ignored the Kremlin, what almost took his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What intentional humiliations did former elite troops that comprised old Muscovite armies sustain following Sophia's downfall?
2. What activities did Peter prefer to state ceremonies during Sophia's reign?
3. What took place for Peter on his initial trip to Archangel in 1693?
4. Why did Peter's Great Embassy amaze his countrymen?
5. Why was Peter unsuccessful in gaining an ally against the Turks when he met Leopold I?
6. What was Peter's key to power in Russia during the initial half of his life?
7. How did Sophia attempt to ensure that her brief state of thriving during Fedor's time continued following his death?
8. What was Moscow like in Peter's youth?
9. What did Peter initially state was his aim in attacking Sweden in the Great Northern War?
10. How did King William find Peter shortly following his arrival in London?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)