|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 46 examined the rapid growth of St. Petersburg following what year?
2. Protestants sought to keep Charles XII apart from whom?
(b) Louis XIV.
(c) Augusus II.
(d) Leopold I.
3. St. Petersburg expanded from Petrograd Island onto the mainland, then downstream to where?
(a) Vasilevsky Island.
(b) Dekabristov Island.
(c) Decembrist's Island.
(d) Goloday Island.
4. Which Councillor of State controlled French foreign policy because of the age of Louis XV?
(a) Charles Eugene, Duc Du Croy.
(b) Abbé Guillaume Dubois.
(c) Anthony Devier.
(d) Philippe, Duc d'Orléans.
5. On which bank did Peter's and others' mansions rise?
6. How old was Peter Petrovich when he was named heir?
7. In what year did Martha Skavronskaya, Peter's wife, begin bearing his children?
8. In Chapter 32, the Russians torched Poland to deny Charles provisions and bridges, and accomplish what else?
(a) Draft new forces.
(b) Recruit additional forces.
(c) Position cannons across rivers.
(d) Insert blockades.
9. Peter was heading home via which city when he met Prussia's King Frederick I and his son Frederick William?
10. Peter in 1704 seized Narva and Dorpat to protect _______and restore the army's honor.
(a) .Nizhny Novgorod.
(b) St. Petersburg.
11. From where did Peter seek a mediator or ally after determining that fanatical Charles XII was certain to invade Russia?
(a) Denmark, France, Livonia, Netherlands, Western Poland.
(b) Britain, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Prussia.
(c) Britain, Estonia, France, Ingria, Netherlands.
(d) Britain, Denmark, Finland, Karelia, Prussia.
12. Chapter 36 brought spring's oppressive heat, but Charles XII rejected what at this point?
(a) His troops' call to flee.
(b) A peace feeler.
(c) His officer's call to retreat.
(d) His officer's call to surrender.
13. General Lewenhaupt was sent for a massive quantity of supplies, but his effort bogged down and cost the campaign of Charles XII how much time?
(b) Nearly a year.
14. According to Chapter 29, what positive improvements were part of Peter's reign?
(a) Condition of elderly, medical developments, theater.
(b) Condition of deformed infants, tax reform, theater.
(c) Condition of foreigners, technical education, public housing.
(d) Condition of women, language education, a newspaper.
15. The fifty blows mentioned in the title of Chapter 42 were only half the number Peter deserved for risking capture at what location?
(a) City of Pruth.
(b) Frigate Pruth.
(c) Pruth River.
(d) Fortress Pruth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Mazeppa had run into his arms, why was Charles XII desperate?
2. Peter's meddling with Ahmed's restive subjects in ______was covered in Chapter 41.
3. Whom did Peter's son Alexis marry in Chapter 43?
4. Peter, unaware if St. Petersburg or Moscow was the goal of Charles XII, set for both and burned a swath how long from Smolensk to Pskov?
5. Charles XII was impatient, but a competent Russian attack surprised him when he crossed which waterway?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)