|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 46 examined the rapid growth of St. Petersburg following what year?
2. Which vast Ottoman Empire situation was surveyed in Chapter 40?
3. Entering Peter's world through Lefort, how did Massie describe Alexander Menshikov in Chapter 28?
(a) Fearless, edutated, dangerous.
(b) Talented, greedy, dangerous.
(c) Calculating, greedy, talented.
(d) Educated, calculating, fearless.
4. Peter was shown in Chapter 29 as an autocrat over the vast country which he divided into how many governorships?
5. Peter's westward travels in 1716-1717 had the following three goals: to recover his health, to attend his niece's wedding, and to __________.
(a) Boost allies' support of the invasion of Denmark.
(b) Boost allies' support of the invasion of Sweden.
(c) Boost allies' support of the invasion of Spain.
(d) Boost allies' support of the invasion of England.
6. What injury lay Charles XII up nearly dead from infection?
(b) Horse fall.
7. Which new fleet did Peter use in Chapter 44?
8. Russia captured Riga and _________.
9. What transpired after a broken Alexis was condemned to death?
(a) Escaped custody, returned to exile.
(b) Publicly admitted guilt, was forgiven.
(c) Sentence commuted, exiled to monastery.
(d) Died before sentence is administered.
10. In what year did Martha Skavronskaya, Peter's wife, begin bearing his children?
11. Catherine first married Peter quietly in _______, and later, with full pomp in ________.
(a) 1705, 1706.
(b) 1711, 1712.
(c) 1707, 1708.
(d) 1709, 1710.
12. How old was Peter Petrovich when he was named heir?
13. Chapter 45 showed Charles XII held in Adrianople for how long while Turkey and Russia concluded peace?
(a) Sixteen months.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Twenty months.
(d) Twelve months.
14. When Peter ordered the fortress at Grodno abandoned, Charles XII was freed to invade what region?
15. General Lewenhaupt was sent for a massive quantity of supplies, but his effort bogged down and cost the campaign of Charles XII how much time?
(a) Nearly a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 29, what positive improvements were part of Peter's reign?
2. Largely due to Peter Tolstoy's diplomacy, which group remained out of the Northern War?
3. Charles XII went home to Sweden only after he took Danish Rügen. How many years had passed?
4. Where did Alexis finally seek asylum after originally being ordered by Peter to go to Copenhagen?
5. Charles XII hoped to ally with Hetman Mazeppa, the Cossack who had been waiting for an opportunity to win independence for ___________.
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)