|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Peter, unaware if St. Petersburg or Moscow was the goal of Charles XII, set for both and burned a swath how long from Smolensk to Pskov?
(a) 160 miles.
(b) 240 miles.
(c) 120 miles.
(d) 200 miles.
2. Peter's meddling with Ahmed's restive subjects in ______was covered in Chapter 41.
3. In what location were Alexis and Afrosinia initially hidden by Emperor Charles VI?
4. Chapter 37 described a clash that was most effective because of Rehnskjold's failure to share what with fellow generals?
(b) Food supplies.
(d) Battle plans.
5. Peter engaged which philosopher to oversee administrative, educational, and legal reforms?
(a) Adam Ludwig Lewenhaupt.
(b) Stanislaus Lesczynski.
(c) Gottfried von Leibniz.
(d) Francis Lefort.
6. What happened to Swedish prisoners of war?
(a) Made into slaves.
(c) Exchanged for Russian prisoners.
(d) Dispersed to frontiers.
7. Peter had ten redoubts built in what formation, that slowed enemy attacks?
8. After Charles XII was led into a trap, what did he and his troops lose?
(a) Food rations.
(b) Safe retreat.
(c) Warm quarters.
(d) Dry gunpowder.
9. While his people yearned for peace, Charles XII drafted new troops, raised taxes, and was aided by Baron Georg Heinrich von Goertz in becoming what?
(a) Support, but not his brain.
(b) His brain but not his voice.
(c) Both his voice and brain.
(d) His voice if not his brain.
10. Which vast Ottoman Empire situation was surveyed in Chapter 40?
11. Following his stay in Adrianople, where did Charles XII race?
(a) To Pyntz.
(b) To Pomerania.
(c) To Pollnow.
(d) To Plath.
12. Chapter 36 brought spring's oppressive heat, but Charles XII rejected what at this point?
(a) A peace feeler.
(b) His troops' call to flee.
(c) His officer's call to retreat.
(d) His officer's call to surrender.
13. Unable to fight with Sweden or Britain in new "ship-of-the-line" warships, what did Peter build that could sail close to shore and swarm larger ships?
(a) Rowed frigates.
(b) Rowed galleys.
(c) Rowed kayaks.
(d) Rowed catamarans.
14. The fifty blows mentioned in the title of Chapter 42 were only half the number Peter deserved for risking capture at what location?
(a) Pruth River.
(b) City of Pruth.
(c) Frigate Pruth.
(d) Fortress Pruth.
15. How was Louis XV related to Louis XIV?
(c) Great grandson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Peter's view of his niece's marriage?
2. When Peter ordered the fortress at Grodno abandoned, Charles XII was freed to invade what region?
3. Where did Charles XII flee as Peter made his first disciplined infantry launch?
4. With Severia lost, where did Charles XII go?
5. Largely due to Peter Tolstoy's diplomacy, which group remained out of the Northern War?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)