|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Despite people's pleas, Charles XII vowed to make which group join him or face annihilation?
(b) Western Pomeranians.
2. Charles XII hoped to ally with Hetman Mazeppa, the Cossack who had been waiting for an opportunity to win independence for ___________.
(a) Forty years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Twenty years.
3. Following his stay in Adrianople, where did Charles XII race?
(a) To Plath.
(b) To Pomerania.
(c) To Pollnow.
(d) To Pyntz.
4. In what year did Martha Skavronskaya, Peter's wife, begin bearing his children?
5. While his people yearned for peace, Charles XII drafted new troops, raised taxes, and was aided by Baron Georg Heinrich von Goertz in becoming what?
(a) His voice if not his brain.
(b) Both his voice and brain.
(c) His brain but not his voice.
(d) Support, but not his brain.
6. Which Councillor of State controlled French foreign policy because of the age of Louis XV?
(a) Charles Eugene, Duc Du Croy.
(b) Anthony Devier.
(c) Abbé Guillaume Dubois.
(d) Philippe, Duc d'Orléans.
7. Peter conquered coastal Finland, invaded the Aland Islands, and seized how many ships off Cape Hangö in one summer?
8. Charles XII went home to Sweden only after he took Danish Rügen. How many years had passed?
9. How old was Peter Petrovich when he was named heir?
10. After how long did Peter bid the Regent and King farewell?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Eight weeks.
(d) Ten weeks.
11. From where did Peter seek a mediator or ally after determining that fanatical Charles XII was certain to invade Russia?
(a) Britain, Denmark, Finland, Karelia, Prussia.
(b) Britain, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Prussia.
(c) Britain, Estonia, France, Ingria, Netherlands.
(d) Denmark, France, Livonia, Netherlands, Western Poland.
12. Chapter 36 brought spring's oppressive heat, but Charles XII rejected what at this point?
(a) His troops' call to flee.
(b) A peace feeler.
(c) His officer's call to retreat.
(d) His officer's call to surrender.
13. Why was it that Peter's 1717 visit to France yielded no diplomatic fruit?
(a) Regent were set to ally with England, George II hated Peter.
(b) Councillor of State was set to ally with England, George I hated Peter.
(c) Councillor of State was set to ally with England, George II hated Peter.
(d) Regent were set to ally with England, George I hated Peter.
14. Where did Charles XII flee as Peter made his first disciplined infantry launch?
(a) Tatar asylum.
(b) Cossack asylum.
(c) Catholic asylum.
(d) Royal asylum.
15. Ulrika, the sister of Charles XII, assumed the throne and ordered Goertz beheaded, which left Sweden as a _________.
(a) Sovereign country.
(b) Stable power.
(c) Vantage point.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died in 1715 after giving birth to Peter, a son?
2. Peter had ten redoubts built in what formation, that slowed enemy attacks?
3. How soon after Goertz went to Charles XII about having negotiated with Norway without authorization did Charles die?
4. Unable to fight with Sweden or Britain in new "ship-of-the-line" warships, what did Peter build that could sail close to shore and swarm larger ships?
5. Entering Peter's world through Lefort, how did Massie describe Alexander Menshikov in Chapter 28?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)