|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Peter conquered coastal Finland, invaded the Aland Islands, and seized how many ships off Cape Hangö in one summer?
2. In what year did Martha Skavronskaya, Peter's wife, begin bearing his children?
3. Ulrika, the sister of Charles XII, assumed the throne and ordered Goertz beheaded, which left Sweden as a _________.
(a) Stable power.
(b) Vantage point.
(c) Sovereign country.
4. What happened to Swedish prisoners of war?
(a) Dispersed to frontiers.
(b) Exchanged for Russian prisoners.
(d) Made into slaves.
5. Which new fleet did Peter use in Chapter 44?
6. Alexis was formally denounced, yet was promised forgiveness on what condition?
(a) He would name accomplices.
(b) He would publicly weep.
(c) He would undertake military training.
(d) He would publicly beg forgiveness.
7. With Severia lost, where did Charles XII go?
8. Which Councillor of State controlled French foreign policy because of the age of Louis XV?
(a) Charles Eugene, Duc Du Croy.
(b) Philippe, Duc d'Orléans.
(c) Abbé Guillaume Dubois.
(d) Anthony Devier.
9. Chapter 46 examined the rapid growth of St. Petersburg following what year?
10. Although Mazeppa had run into his arms, why was Charles XII desperate?
(a) His army was divided, low on food and medicine.
(b) His troops wanted to surrender.
(c) He was deep in enemy territory, low on food and gunpowder.
(d) He was surrounded, low on food and gunpowder.
11. St. Petersburg expanded from Petrograd Island onto the mainland, then downstream to where?
(a) Vasilevsky Island.
(b) Goloday Island.
(c) Decembrist's Island.
(d) Dekabristov Island.
12. In Chapter 32, the Russians torched Poland to deny Charles provisions and bridges, and accomplish what else?
(a) Recruit additional forces.
(b) Position cannons across rivers.
(c) Insert blockades.
(d) Draft new forces.
13. In Chapter 38, the Swedes were entrapped, and they convinced Charles XII to flee to what territory?
(a) Lithuanian territory.
(b) Slovakian territory.
(c) Turkish territory.
(d) Polish territory.
14. General Lewenhaupt was sent for a massive quantity of supplies, but his effort bogged down and cost the campaign of Charles XII how much time?
(d) Nearly a year.
15. What transpired after a broken Alexis was condemned to death?
(a) Publicly admitted guilt, was forgiven.
(b) Escaped custody, returned to exile.
(c) Sentence commuted, exiled to monastery.
(d) Died before sentence is administered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Protestants sought to keep Charles XII apart from whom?
2. The rulers of which two Christian principalities secretly agreed to help in fighting Turkey?
3. Which vast Ottoman Empire situation was surveyed in Chapter 40?
4. Where did Alexis finally seek asylum after originally being ordered by Peter to go to Copenhagen?
5. Peter was able to launch a disciplined infantry line which enveloped ________/
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)