|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fifty blows mentioned in the title of Chapter 42 were only half the number Peter deserved for risking capture at what location?
(a) Pruth River.
(b) Frigate Pruth.
(c) Fortress Pruth.
(d) City of Pruth.
2. In Chapter 29, where were open rebellions by Streltsy repressed?
(a) Bashkirs, Don Cossacks, Lipetsk.
(b) Astrakhan, Don Cossacks, Lipetsk.
(c) Astrakhan, Bashkirs, Lipetsk.
(d) Astrakhan, Bashkirs, Don Cossacks.
3. Chapter 45 showed Charles XII held in Adrianople for how long while Turkey and Russia concluded peace?
(a) Twenty months.
(b) Sixteen months.
(c) Eight months.
(d) Twelve months.
4. While retaining the Baltic lands, what did Peter allow them to keep?
(a) Catholic culture.
(b) Lutheran culture.
(c) Episcopalian culture.
(d) Methodist culture.
5. What title of Chapter 39 reflected the celebration of deliverance and foreign capitals that offered dynastic marriages and treaties?
(a) "The Fruits of Poltava."
(b) "The Fruits of Pervomaisk."
(c) "The Fruits of Pryluky."
(d) "The Fruits of Perechyn."
6. Much of Charles XII's infantry wasted time on Peter's redoubts and was _________.
(a) Out of time for the main battle.
(b) Out of area where main battle transpires.
(c) Out of position for the main battle.
(d) Out of gunpowder for the main battle.
7. In Chapter 38, the Swedes were entrapped, and they convinced Charles XII to flee to what territory?
(a) Turkish territory.
(b) Polish territory.
(c) Lithuanian territory.
(d) Slovakian territory.
8. Peter conquered coastal Finland, invaded the Aland Islands, and seized how many ships off Cape Hangö in one summer?
9. In what location were Alexis and Afrosinia initially hidden by Emperor Charles VI?
10. From where did Peter seek a mediator or ally after determining that fanatical Charles XII was certain to invade Russia?
(a) Britain, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Prussia.
(b) Britain, Estonia, France, Ingria, Netherlands.
(c) Denmark, France, Livonia, Netherlands, Western Poland.
(d) Britain, Denmark, Finland, Karelia, Prussia.
11. Who told Alexis that surrendering was his only way of marrying Afrosina?
(a) Peter Tolstoy.
(b) Ivan Tsykler.
(c) Jacob Turgenev.
(d) Franz Timmermann.
12. In Chapter 51, Peter came home to handle a governmental mess and confront Tsarevich Alexis about his _________.
(a) Future parental responsibility.
(b) Future monarchical responsibility.
(c) Future religious responsibility.
(d) Future marital responsibility.
13. Chapter 36 brought spring's oppressive heat, but Charles XII rejected what at this point?
(a) A peace feeler.
(b) His officer's call to surrender.
(c) His troops' call to flee.
(d) His officer's call to retreat.
14. When Peter ordered the fortress at Grodno abandoned, Charles XII was freed to invade what region?
15. Peter engaged which philosopher to oversee administrative, educational, and legal reforms?
(a) Adam Ludwig Lewenhaupt.
(b) Gottfried von Leibniz.
(c) Stanislaus Lesczynski.
(d) Francis Lefort.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following his stay in Adrianople, where did Charles XII race?
2. When Peter found evidence of Alexis' whereabouts, where did Charles VI move Alexis?
3. After how long did Peter bid the Regent and King farewell?
4. Charles XII was impatient, but a competent Russian attack surprised him when he crossed which waterway?
5. Peter was shown in Chapter 29 as an autocrat over the vast country which he divided into how many governorships?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)