|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Peter's view of his niece's marriage?
(a) Pleased him.
(b) No concern.
(c) Withheld judgment.
(d) Displeased him.
2. After Charles XII was led into a trap, what did he and his troops lose?
(a) Dry gunpowder.
(b) Warm quarters.
(c) Food rations.
(d) Safe retreat.
3. What happened to Swedish prisoners of war?
(a) Made into slaves.
(b) Dispersed to frontiers.
(d) Exchanged for Russian prisoners.
4. In Chapter 32, the Russians torched Poland to deny Charles provisions and bridges, and accomplish what else?
(a) Position cannons across rivers.
(b) Draft new forces.
(c) Insert blockades.
(d) Recruit additional forces.
5. Who was the only individual who stood by Peter against William I?
(a) Frederick of Denmark.
(b) Frederick of Hesse.
(c) Frederick I of Prussia.
(d) Fredrick William of Prussia.
6. According to Chapter 50, what had Peter been oblivious to and curious about before Paris in 1717?
(a) Oblivious to grandeur, curious about architecture.
(b) Oblivious to resplendence, curious about theater.
(c) Oblivious to majesty, curious about everything.
(d) Oblivious to pomp, curious about museums.
7. Peter was able to launch a disciplined infantry line which enveloped ________/
(a) Counter-striking Swedes.
(b) Fleeing Swedes.
(c) Retreating Swedes.
(d) Charging Swedes.
8. After how long did Peter bid the Regent and King farewell?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Ten weeks.
(d) Eight weeks.
9. Why was it that Peter's 1717 visit to France yielded no diplomatic fruit?
(a) Councillor of State was set to ally with England, George I hated Peter.
(b) Regent were set to ally with England, George II hated Peter.
(c) Councillor of State was set to ally with England, George II hated Peter.
(d) Regent were set to ally with England, George I hated Peter.
10. Catherine first married Peter quietly in _______, and later, with full pomp in ________.
(a) 1709, 1710.
(b) 1707, 1708.
(c) 1705, 1706.
(d) 1711, 1712.
11. Charles XII hoped to ally with Hetman Mazeppa, the Cossack who had been waiting for an opportunity to win independence for ___________.
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Forty years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Thirty years.
12. Russia captured Riga and _________.
13. Largely due to Peter Tolstoy's diplomacy, which group remained out of the Northern War?
14. England's William I, who had sent the fleet each summer to advance Hanover's interests, reversed alliances for what reason?
(a) To thwart Russian mastery of the Bothnia.
(b) To thwart Russian mastery of the Barents.
(c) To thwart Russian mastery of the Caspian.
(d) To thwart Russian mastery of the Baltic.
15. Peter's westward travels in 1716-1717 had the following three goals: to recover his health, to attend his niece's wedding, and to __________.
(a) Boost allies' support of the invasion of Sweden.
(b) Boost allies' support of the invasion of Spain.
(c) Boost allies' support of the invasion of England.
(d) Boost allies' support of the invasion of Denmark.
Short Answer Questions
1. While his people yearned for peace, Charles XII drafted new troops, raised taxes, and was aided by Baron Georg Heinrich von Goertz in becoming what?
2. Chapter 35 showed the effects of which year's intense cold that gripped all of Europe?
3. After being cornered, what areas did Peter abandon that resulted in his survival and making peace with Charles XII?
4. How was Louis XV related to Louis XIV?
5. On which bank did Peter's and others' mansions rise?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)