|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where did Peter seek a mediator or ally after determining that fanatical Charles XII was certain to invade Russia?
(a) Britain, Denmark, Finland, Karelia, Prussia.
(b) Britain, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Prussia.
(c) Britain, Estonia, France, Ingria, Netherlands.
(d) Denmark, France, Livonia, Netherlands, Western Poland.
2. Chapter 45 showed Charles XII held in Adrianople for how long while Turkey and Russia concluded peace?
(a) Twelve months.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Twenty months.
(d) Sixteen months.
3. While his people yearned for peace, Charles XII drafted new troops, raised taxes, and was aided by Baron Georg Heinrich von Goertz in becoming what?
(a) His voice if not his brain.
(b) His brain but not his voice.
(c) Both his voice and brain.
(d) Support, but not his brain.
4. Peter's meddling with Ahmed's restive subjects in ______was covered in Chapter 41.
5. According to Chapter 29, what positive improvements were part of Peter's reign?
(a) Condition of elderly, medical developments, theater.
(b) Condition of foreigners, technical education, public housing.
(c) Condition of women, language education, a newspaper.
(d) Condition of deformed infants, tax reform, theater.
6. Which new fleet did Peter use in Chapter 44?
7. What happened to Swedish prisoners of war?
(b) Dispersed to frontiers.
(c) Exchanged for Russian prisoners.
(d) Made into slaves.
8. Peter was able to launch a disciplined infantry line which enveloped ________/
(a) Fleeing Swedes.
(b) Retreating Swedes.
(c) Charging Swedes.
(d) Counter-striking Swedes.
9. The fifty blows mentioned in the title of Chapter 42 were only half the number Peter deserved for risking capture at what location?
(a) Pruth River.
(b) Frigate Pruth.
(c) Fortress Pruth.
(d) City of Pruth.
10. St. Petersburg expanded from Petrograd Island onto the mainland, then downstream to where?
(a) Vasilevsky Island.
(b) Decembrist's Island.
(c) Goloday Island.
(d) Dekabristov Island.
11. What title of Chapter 39 reflected the celebration of deliverance and foreign capitals that offered dynastic marriages and treaties?
(a) "The Fruits of Perechyn."
(b) "The Fruits of Poltava."
(c) "The Fruits of Pervomaisk."
(d) "The Fruits of Pryluky."
12. Who was the only individual who stood by Peter against William I?
(a) Frederick of Hesse.
(b) Frederick of Denmark.
(c) Fredrick William of Prussia.
(d) Frederick I of Prussia.
13. When Peter ordered the fortress at Grodno abandoned, Charles XII was freed to invade what region?
14. What was Peter's view of his niece's marriage?
(a) No concern.
(b) Pleased him.
(c) Displeased him.
(d) Withheld judgment.
15. Russia captured Riga and _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles XII hoped to ally with Hetman Mazeppa, the Cossack who had been waiting for an opportunity to win independence for ___________.
2. Who told Alexis that surrendering was his only way of marrying Afrosina?
3. Peter engaged which philosopher to oversee administrative, educational, and legal reforms?
4. General Lewenhaupt was sent for a massive quantity of supplies, but his effort bogged down and cost the campaign of Charles XII how much time?
5. Chapter 37 described a clash that was most effective because of Rehnskjold's failure to share what with fellow generals?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)