|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After how long did Peter bid the Regent and King farewell?
(a) Eight weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Ten weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
2. While his people yearned for peace, Charles XII drafted new troops, raised taxes, and was aided by Baron Georg Heinrich von Goertz in becoming what?
(a) Support, but not his brain.
(b) His brain but not his voice.
(c) Both his voice and brain.
(d) His voice if not his brain.
3. Charles XII hoped to ally with Hetman Mazeppa, the Cossack who had been waiting for an opportunity to win independence for ___________.
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Forty years.
(d) Ten years.
4. Following his stay in Adrianople, where did Charles XII race?
(a) To Pomerania.
(b) To Plath.
(c) To Pyntz.
(d) To Pollnow.
5. From where did Peter seek a mediator or ally after determining that fanatical Charles XII was certain to invade Russia?
(a) Britain, Denmark, Finland, Karelia, Prussia.
(b) Denmark, France, Livonia, Netherlands, Western Poland.
(c) Britain, Estonia, France, Ingria, Netherlands.
(d) Britain, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Prussia.
6. St. Petersburg expanded from Petrograd Island onto the mainland, then downstream to where?
(a) Vasilevsky Island.
(b) Decembrist's Island.
(c) Goloday Island.
(d) Dekabristov Island.
7. Which new fleet did Peter use in Chapter 44?
8. Chapter 45 showed Charles XII held in Adrianople for how long while Turkey and Russia concluded peace?
(a) Sixteen months.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Twenty months.
(d) Twelve months.
9. In Chapter 38, the Swedes were entrapped, and they convinced Charles XII to flee to what territory?
(a) Lithuanian territory.
(b) Polish territory.
(c) Slovakian territory.
(d) Turkish territory.
10. Much of Charles XII's infantry wasted time on Peter's redoubts and was _________.
(a) Out of position for the main battle.
(b) Out of area where main battle transpires.
(c) Out of gunpowder for the main battle.
(d) Out of time for the main battle.
11. With Severia lost, where did Charles XII go?
12. After being cornered, what areas did Peter abandon that resulted in his survival and making peace with Charles XII?
(a) Azov, Slovakia, Tagonrog.
(b) Azov, Poland, Tagonrog.
(c) Azov, Poland, Slovakia.
(d) Poland, Slovakia, Tagonrog.
13. In what year did Martha Skavronskaya, Peter's wife, begin bearing his children?
14. Alexis was formally denounced, yet was promised forgiveness on what condition?
(a) He would undertake military training.
(b) He would publicly weep.
(c) He would name accomplices.
(d) He would publicly beg forgiveness.
15. Unable to fight with Sweden or Britain in new "ship-of-the-line" warships, what did Peter build that could sail close to shore and swarm larger ships?
(a) Rowed frigates.
(b) Rowed galleys.
(c) Rowed catamarans.
(d) Rowed kayaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter, unaware if St. Petersburg or Moscow was the goal of Charles XII, set for both and burned a swath how long from Smolensk to Pskov?
2. Protestants sought to keep Charles XII apart from whom?
3. Peter conquered coastal Finland, invaded the Aland Islands, and seized how many ships off Cape Hangö in one summer?
4. Why was it that Peter's 1717 visit to France yielded no diplomatic fruit?
5. According to Chapter 50, what had Peter been oblivious to and curious about before Paris in 1717?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)