|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Peter was shown in Chapter 29 as an autocrat over the vast country which he divided into how many governorships?
2. Why was it that Peter's 1717 visit to France yielded no diplomatic fruit?
(a) Regent were set to ally with England, George I hated Peter.
(b) Regent were set to ally with England, George II hated Peter.
(c) Councillor of State was set to ally with England, George II hated Peter.
(d) Councillor of State was set to ally with England, George I hated Peter.
3. Much of Charles XII's infantry wasted time on Peter's redoubts and was _________.
(a) Out of gunpowder for the main battle.
(b) Out of position for the main battle.
(c) Out of time for the main battle.
(d) Out of area where main battle transpires.
4. Protestants sought to keep Charles XII apart from whom?
(b) Louis XIV.
(c) Leopold I.
(d) Augusus II.
5. Who was the only individual who stood by Peter against William I?
(a) Frederick of Denmark.
(b) Frederick I of Prussia.
(c) Fredrick William of Prussia.
(d) Frederick of Hesse.
6. Avoiding open warfare in Poland, where did the Russians retreat to?
7. How old was Peter Petrovich when he was named heir?
8. In what location were Alexis and Afrosinia initially hidden by Emperor Charles VI?
9. Peter was able to launch a disciplined infantry line which enveloped ________/
(a) Counter-striking Swedes.
(b) Retreating Swedes.
(c) Charging Swedes.
(d) Fleeing Swedes.
10. Unable to fight with Sweden or Britain in new "ship-of-the-line" warships, what did Peter build that could sail close to shore and swarm larger ships?
(a) Rowed frigates.
(b) Rowed catamarans.
(c) Rowed kayaks.
(d) Rowed galleys.
11. Upon meeting King Louis XV, Peter shocked the French by lifting him up and ___________.
(a) Holding, giving piggy-back rides.
(b) Hugging, kissing him.
(c) Tossing, catching him.
(d) Tickling, singing to him.
12. When Afrosina provided proof of treason, what did Peter do?
(a) Set canonic, temporal trials and banished Alexis to a monastery.
(b) Ordered ecclesiastic, secular trials and sanctioned torture.
(c) Ordained the religious and beheaded Alexis.
(d) Prescribed collective trials, and sanctioned the death penalty.
13. General Lewenhaupt was sent for a massive quantity of supplies, but his effort bogged down and cost the campaign of Charles XII how much time?
(d) Nearly a year.
14. Largely due to Peter Tolstoy's diplomacy, which group remained out of the Northern War?
15. Charles XII ordered the Poles to join him, hoping who would aid him?
(a) Zaporozhsky and Crimean Tatars.
(b) Zaporozhsky Cossacks, Crimean Tatars.
(c) Zaporozhsky Tatars, Crimean Cossacks.
(d) Zaporozhsky and Crimean Cossacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 46 examined the rapid growth of St. Petersburg following what year?
2. Which Councillor of State controlled French foreign policy because of the age of Louis XV?
3. In Chapter 29, where were open rebellions by Streltsy repressed?
4. Chapter 36 brought spring's oppressive heat, but Charles XII rejected what at this point?
5. While his people yearned for peace, Charles XII drafted new troops, raised taxes, and was aided by Baron Georg Heinrich von Goertz in becoming what?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)