|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Peter lose his father?
2. The "Great Embassy" was led by Lefort, two key diplomats, and ____________.
3. Peter dealt grimly with the Streltsy after they marched _____________ to replace the absent Tsar.
(a) On Moscow.
(b) On Archangel.
(c) On Preobrazhenskoe.
(d) On Semyonovskoe.
4. Which nations sided with Charles XII against Denmark to keep the European political status quo?
(a) Netherlands, Finland.
(b) England, Poland.
(c) Finland, Poland.
(d) England, Netherlands.
5. Eudoxia Lopukhina bore Peter __________ before they were estranged.
(a) Twin sons.
(b) A son and a daughter.
(c) A daughter.
(d) A son.
6. When did Charles XII launch his surprise campaign against Narva?
7. Chapter 24 summarized Charles XII's youth and stressed his love of military science and adventure before he took the throne at what age?
8. Which friend did Peter bury In March, 1699?
9. What observation could be made about Peter given that he enjoyed Mock-Synod celebrations at Christmas and before Lent, stood with troops rather than the Patriarch at Epiphany when the Moscow River is blessed, and ended executions with bodies being buried as Lent begins?
(a) Peter's actions were predictable.
(b) Peter's reasoning was systematic.
(c) Peter's moods swang unpredictably.
(d) Peter's exploits were well thought out.
10. Patkul, an anti-Swede from __________, stirred Peter and Augustus to action against Charles XII?
11. Peter was careful to wander, survey, and practice all that he saw Western technology and science reveal, and he dedicated himself to ____________.
(a) Using the same to conquer the West.
(b) Using the same to conquer Sweden.
(c) Advancing international well-being.
(d) Achieving the same in Russia.
12. Sieges were preferred to open-field battle and frequently ended in what manner?
(a) Honorable surrender.
(b) Religious sanctuary.
(c) Massive retreat.
(d) Minimal deaths.
13. What happened to Sophia after her inner circle was tortured and Peter refused to see her?
(a) She was banished to Golitsyn's place of exile.
(b) She was forced to see the torture and execution of her inner circle.
(c) She was sent for life to Novodevichy Convent.
(d) She was executed.
14. Leopold I promised not to relinquish gains Peter made at Azov, but he offered no assistance in gaining entry to which sea?
(a) Baltic Sea.
(b) Adriatic Sea.
(c) Mediterranean Sea.
(d) Black Sea.
15. Charles XII broke traditions, proved rash in using disciplined troops, and forced battles. How long did it take for Russia to stand up to him?
(a) Several decades.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Fedor died in 1682 without an heir, the choice was between Peter and ____________.
2. Peter himself went incognito among the 250-member staff as whom?
3. Patriarch Nikon, who challenged Alexis and sternly enforced his own views, was deposed in what year?
4. Sweden, overextended at the peak of its power, ruled Estonia, Ingria, Finland, Karelia, Western Pomerania, Livonia, and ports near what location?
5. Why did Peter go incognito to complete his education?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)