|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Peter work at the Dutch company to learn his trade?
(a) Four months.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
2. Peter was shown in Chapter 6 as having preferred activities out of the way at _______________.
(c) Pavlovsky Posad.
3. When Ivan and Peter were crowned as co-tsars, Sophia took over as __________.
4. Golitsyn was responsible for what foreign policy highpoint of the Regency?
(a) Return of Kazan to Russian control.
(b) Return of Moscow to Russian control.
(c) Return of Kiev to Russian control.
(d) Return of Perm to Russian control.
5. Peter was humiliated across Europe when Swedes broke through what type of defenses that the Russians built at Narva?
6. What title of Chapter 19 encapsulated Russian punishment methods?
(a) "Fire and Death".
(b) "Fire and Rope".
(c) "Fire and Knout."
(d) "Fire and Brimstone".
7. When Peter lived openly in the German suburb among foreigners, which three important friends did he make?
(a) Sylvester Medvedev, Alexander Danilovich, Francis Lefort.
(b) Patrick Gordon, Andrew Vinius, Francis Lefort.
(c) Andrew Vinius, Louis de Vauban, Patrick Gordon.
(d) Sylvester Medvedev, Louis de Vauban, Alexander Danilovich.
8. In what year did Peter first visit Archangel, Russia's only port near the Arctic Circle?
9. Sophia surveyed the plight of women in 17th-century Russia and ______________in particular.
(a) Royal sisters.
(b) Women serfs.
(c) Female students, housed in a school "terem."
(d) Peasant women.
10. When did the founding of St. Petersburg transpire?
11. William III met Peter, long an admirer of his military exploits against _____________.
(c) The Greek Orthodox Church.
12. During the period when Peter built a warship, endangered himself with war games and fireworks, and ignored the Kremlin, what almost took his life?
(b) Yellow fever.
13. In Chapter 7, Sophia installed new cohorts including her lover, Prince Vasily Golitsyn, and which others?
(a) Financial advisor, religious minister.
(b) Chief advisor, principle minister.
(c) Prime minister, cultural counselor.
(d) Defense minister, political advisor.
14. After serfs and peasants were drafted by the thousands for unskilled shipbuilding labor, what work moved swiftly despite what?
(a) High desertion and death rates, minimal machinery,
(b) High desertion and death rates, no machinery,
(c) Moderate desertion and death rates, no machinery,
(d) High desertion and death rates, poor machinery,
15. Chapter 21 reflected Peter was back at his highest priority, finding in his shipyards any waste, shortages, or ________.
(a) New ideas.
(b) Punishable activities.
(c) Rewardable efforts.
(d) Sullen workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter was treated as an upstart monarch, but he behaved with decorum as he was eager to meet Leopold I, master of _____________.
2. Peter was careful to wander, survey, and practice all that he saw Western technology and science reveal, and he dedicated himself to ____________.
3. Chapter 1 described Moscow in what period?
4. In Chapter 9, Peter was shown enjoying his freedom for how many more years?
5. "Great Embassy" member in Russia felt that Europeans who embraced music, art, literature, and science were _________.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)