|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Golitsyn was responsible for what foreign policy highpoint of the Regency?
(a) Return of Kazan to Russian control.
(b) Return of Moscow to Russian control.
(c) Return of Kiev to Russian control.
(d) Return of Perm to Russian control.
2. After his mother died, Peter returned to Archangel, launched a ship, almost drowned on another, and took delivery and command of a warship built where?
3. Patkul, an anti-Swede from __________, stirred Peter and Augustus to action against Charles XII?
4. What happened to Sophia after her inner circle was tortured and Peter refused to see her?
(a) She was forced to see the torture and execution of her inner circle.
(b) She was executed.
(c) She was banished to Golitsyn's place of exile.
(d) She was sent for life to Novodevichy Convent.
5. How long did it take to build the Fortress of St. Peter and St. Paul by hand?
(a) Twenty months.
(b) Fifteen months.
(c) Ten months.
(d) Five months.
6. Who kept order as Peter embarked on the "Great Embassy"?
7. Whom did Peter tax after his eventual triumph at Azov?
(a) Landowners, the church.
(b) Landowners, commoners.
(c) The church, merchants.
(d) Merchants, landowners.
8. Chapter 20 drew heavily on accounts by an Austrian named ______________________who depicts Peter partying as the events in the previous chapters unfold.
(a) Heinrich Rudolf Hertz.
(b) Johann-Georg Korb.
(c) Bernhard Victor Schmidt.
(d) Georg-Johann Korb.
9. How did Sophia use Fedor's funeral to break tradition?
(a) Mourned, chanted publicly.
(b) Mourned, raged publicly.
(c) Mourned, prayed privately.
(d) Mourned, cried publicly.
10. The Streltsy mobilized against rumors that Peter would kill whom in Chapter 8?
(a) Ivan, Sophia.
(b) Prince Golitsyn, Ivan.
(c) Sophia, Eudoxia.
(d) Sophia, Prince Golitsyn.
11. Peter himself went incognito among the 250-member staff as whom?
(a) Peter Makarov.
(b) Peter Golovin.
(c) Peter Mikhailov.
(d) Peter Voznitsyn.
12. Peter dealt grimly with the Streltsy after they marched _____________ to replace the absent Tsar.
(a) On Preobrazhenskoe.
(b) On Semyonovskoe.
(c) On Moscow.
(d) On Archangel.
13. Why did Peter go incognito to complete his education?
(a) To escape possible ridicule.
(b) To avoid the hated ceremony.
(c) For fear of attack.
(d) To gain military intelligence.
14. Peter's passion for sailing began when he and his tutor found, refurbished, and took a boat out on what lake?
15. Chapter 5 provided background on the "Old Believers" revolt against ritual reforms in the church that dated from ___________.
(a) Brutus' day.
(b) Peter's day.
(c) Alexis' day.
(d) Genghis Khan's day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter was careful to wander, survey, and practice all that he saw Western technology and science reveal, and he dedicated himself to ____________.
2. "Great Embassy" member in Russia felt that Europeans who embraced music, art, literature, and science were _________.
3. What did the author note Peter seemed to identify as the key while he embarked on his "Great Embassy" travels?
4. What was William III doing in Holland when the "Great Embassy" arrived?
5. When Ivan and Peter were crowned as co-tsars, Sophia took over as __________.
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)