|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Charles XII launch his surprise campaign against Narva?
2. Sieges were preferred to open-field battle and frequently ended in what manner?
(a) Massive retreat.
(b) Minimal deaths.
(c) Religious sanctuary.
(d) Honorable surrender.
3. Whom did Peter tax after his eventual triumph at Azov?
(a) The church, merchants.
(b) Landowners, commoners.
(c) Landowners, the church.
(d) Merchants, landowners.
4. From Voronezh where he displayed power and obtained a treaty with the Turks when Baltic fighting started, Peter set out to reclaim what?
(a) Livonia, Ingria.
(b) Karelia, Ingria.
(c) Estonia, Livonia.
(d) Estonia, Karelia.
5. Peter was shown in Chapter 6 as having preferred activities out of the way at _______________.
(c) Pavlovsky Posad.
6. Upset by Sophia, whom did the boyars rally around?
(a) The Naryshkins.
(b) The Nesterovs.
(c) The Nerchinks.
(d) The Natalyas.
7. What was the result of Golitsyn's encounter with the Khan of the Crimea?
(a) Two failed campaigns.
(b) One failed campaign.
(c) One victorious campaign.
(d) One failed and one victorious campaigns.
8. Sophia surveyed the plight of women in 17th-century Russia and ______________in particular.
(a) Female students, housed in a school "terem."
(b) Peasant women.
(c) Women serfs.
(d) Royal sisters.
9. "Great Embassy" member in Russia felt that Europeans who embraced music, art, literature, and science were _________.
10. Peter dealt harshly with robbers and beggars, especially ones who ________________.
(a) Threatened the ill or handicapped.
(b) Threatened women.
(c) Threatened children.
(d) Threatened foreigners.
11. Peter was treated as an upstart monarch, but he behaved with decorum as he was eager to meet Leopold I, master of _____________.
(a) All nations surrounding the Black Sea.
(b) Eastern Europe.
(c) Southern Europe.
(d) Central Europe.
12. Leopold I promised not to relinquish gains Peter made at Azov, but he offered no assistance in gaining entry to which sea?
(a) Adriatic Sea.
(b) Black Sea.
(c) Baltic Sea.
(d) Mediterranean Sea.
13. Peter failed in his efforts with Leopold I to gain an ally against the Turks, as Austria was seeking peace in anticipation of new warfare in _____________.
(a) The East.
(b) The West.
(c) The North.
(d) The South.
14. Chapter 20 drew heavily on accounts by an Austrian named ______________________who depicts Peter partying as the events in the previous chapters unfold.
(a) Heinrich Rudolf Hertz.
(b) Johann-Georg Korb.
(c) Georg-Johann Korb.
(d) Bernhard Victor Schmidt.
15. In Chapter 25, Peter attacked a 13th-century Estonian seaport fortress that was defended by how many men?
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter was concerned by the loss at Narva, but he spared nothing to outfit and train his new army under whom?
2. William III was not ready when he met Peter during the "Great Embassy" to ally against which group?
3. Chapter 24 summarized Charles XII's youth and stressed his love of military science and adventure before he took the throne at what age?
4. Golitsyn was responsible for what foreign policy highpoint of the Regency?
5. After invading the Kremlin, for how many days did Muscovy's soldiers kill boyars?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)