|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What title of Chapter 19 encapsulated Russian punishment methods?
(a) "Fire and Knout."
(b) "Fire and Brimstone".
(c) "Fire and Rope".
(d) "Fire and Death".
2. In Chapter 7, Sophia installed new cohorts including her lover, Prince Vasily Golitsyn, and which others?
(a) Financial advisor, religious minister.
(b) Prime minister, cultural counselor.
(c) Defense minister, political advisor.
(d) Chief advisor, principle minister.
3. During the period when Peter built a warship, endangered himself with war games and fireworks, and ignored the Kremlin, what almost took his life?
(d) Yellow fever.
4. Whom did Peter tax after his eventual triumph at Azov?
(a) Merchants, landowners.
(b) Landowners, commoners.
(c) Landowners, the church.
(d) The church, merchants.
5. What was the name of the frigate Peter helped to construct?
6. Who was the King of Poland that Peter met en route home?
(a) Augustus II.
(c) Heinrich I.
(d) Augustus I.
7. In Chapter 25, Peter attacked a 13th-century Estonian seaport fortress that was defended by how many men?
8. Sophia surveyed the plight of women in 17th-century Russia and ______________in particular.
(a) Women serfs.
(b) Peasant women.
(c) Royal sisters.
(d) Female students, housed in a school "terem."
9. Martha Skavronskaya, a peasant girl Sheremetev captured, later became Peter's wife and successor as _________.
(a) Catherine I.
(b) Catherine II.
(c) Martha I.
(d) Martha II.
10. Peter was humiliated across Europe when Swedes broke through what type of defenses that the Russians built at Narva?
11. As many fundamentalists rallied behind Archpriest Avvakum, where did others populate?
(a) The far north.
(b) The far east.
(c) The far west.
(d) The far south.
12. Who kept order as Peter embarked on the "Great Embassy"?
13. Leopold I promised not to relinquish gains Peter made at Azov, but he offered no assistance in gaining entry to which sea?
(a) Black Sea.
(b) Mediterranean Sea.
(c) Adriatic Sea.
(d) Baltic Sea.
14. In Chapter 12, Peter felt the need to shore up a dying anti-Turkish alliance and European worries grew regarding whose ambitions?
(a) Charles CI.
(b) Mary II.
(c) Louis XIV.
(d) Philip IV.
15. In 1695, Peter attacked Azov, the Turkish fortress, to end Tatar raids in the Ukraine and gain access to which sea?
(a) Red Sea.
(b) Baltic Sea.
(c) Mediterranean Sea.
(d) Black Sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Seventeenth century European wars were shown to be steadily growing in deadliness and scope, yet what rules were they still obeying?
2. When Fedor died in 1682 without an heir, the choice was between Peter and ____________.
3. Peter's passion for sailing began when he and his tutor found, refurbished, and took a boat out on what lake?
4. How many Dutch specialists and officers did the "Great Embassy" send to Russia?
5. The King of Poland convinced Peter to undertake a joint war against which nation?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)