|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, Peter was shown enjoying his freedom for how many more years?
2. In Chapter 3, who was Sophia?
3. Chapter 20 drew heavily on accounts by an Austrian named ______________________who depicts Peter partying as the events in the previous chapters unfold.
(a) Johann-Georg Korb.
(b) Georg-Johann Korb.
(c) Heinrich Rudolf Hertz.
(d) Bernhard Victor Schmidt.
4. Peter himself went incognito among the 250-member staff as whom?
(a) Peter Golovin.
(b) Peter Voznitsyn.
(c) Peter Makarov.
(d) Peter Mikhailov.
5. As many fundamentalists rallied behind Archpriest Avvakum, where did others populate?
(a) The far east.
(b) The far north.
(c) The far south.
(d) The far west.
6. Charles XII broke traditions, proved rash in using disciplined troops, and forced battles. How long did it take for Russia to stand up to him?
(a) Several decades.
7. Peter's passion for sailing began when he and his tutor found, refurbished, and took a boat out on what lake?
8. In Chapter 7, Sophia installed new cohorts including her lover, Prince Vasily Golitsyn, and which others?
(a) Financial advisor, religious minister.
(b) Chief advisor, principle minister.
(c) Defense minister, political advisor.
(d) Prime minister, cultural counselor.
9. Who was the King of Poland that Peter met en route home?
(b) Heinrich I.
(c) Augustus II.
(d) Augustus I.
10. Sweden, overextended at the peak of its power, ruled Estonia, Ingria, Finland, Karelia, Western Pomerania, Livonia, and ports near what location?
11. Chapter 5 provided background on the "Old Believers" revolt against ritual reforms in the church that dated from ___________.
(a) Genghis Khan's day.
(b) Alexis' day.
(c) Peter's day.
(d) Brutus' day.
12. What was the name of the frigate Peter helped to construct?
13. During what year did Muscovy's soldiers believe Sophia's rumors of treachery?
14. After serfs and peasants were drafted by the thousands for unskilled shipbuilding labor, what work moved swiftly despite what?
(a) High desertion and death rates, minimal machinery,
(b) High desertion and death rates, poor machinery,
(c) Moderate desertion and death rates, no machinery,
(d) High desertion and death rates, no machinery,
15. Which two carousing groups did Peter form that convinced many he was the Antichrist?
(a) "Jolly Company" and "Drunken Synod."
(b) "Imbibing Crewmen" and "Happy Swordsmen."
(c) "Merry Helmsmen" and "Roistering Angels."
(d) "Jolly Muskateers" and "Laughing Bandits."
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter evaded an anti-Swedish alliance in Prussia to concentrate on whom?
2. In Chapter 25, Peter attacked a 13th-century Estonian seaport fortress that was defended by how many men?
3. How did Sophia use Fedor's funeral to break tradition?
4. Since Peter needed a more systematic approach to naval concerns, he visited England. How long was he in England?
5. Chapter 15 reflected William III, simultaneously King of England and Stadholder of Holland, as __________.
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)