|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eudoxia Lopukhina bore Peter __________ before they were estranged.
(a) Twin sons.
(b) A son.
(c) A daughter.
(d) A son and a daughter.
2. The "Great Embassy" ended abruptly before a trip to ________________because word came that the Streltsy were rebelling?
3. Which two carousing groups did Peter form that convinced many he was the Antichrist?
(a) "Jolly Muskateers" and "Laughing Bandits."
(b) "Imbibing Crewmen" and "Happy Swordsmen."
(c) "Merry Helmsmen" and "Roistering Angels."
(d) "Jolly Company" and "Drunken Synod."
4. What observation could be made about Peter given that he enjoyed Mock-Synod celebrations at Christmas and before Lent, stood with troops rather than the Patriarch at Epiphany when the Moscow River is blessed, and ended executions with bodies being buried as Lent begins?
(a) Peter's actions were predictable.
(b) Peter's exploits were well thought out.
(c) Peter's moods swang unpredictably.
(d) Peter's reasoning was systematic.
5. When Ivan and Peter were crowned as co-tsars, Sophia took over as __________.
6. Martha Skavronskaya, a peasant girl Sheremetev captured, later became Peter's wife and successor as _________.
(a) Martha I.
(b) Catherine I.
(c) Martha II.
(d) Catherine II.
7. Peter was careful to wander, survey, and practice all that he saw Western technology and science reveal, and he dedicated himself to ____________.
(a) Advancing international well-being.
(b) Using the same to conquer Sweden.
(c) Using the same to conquer the West.
(d) Achieving the same in Russia.
8. Chapter 5 provided background on the "Old Believers" revolt against ritual reforms in the church that dated from ___________.
(a) Peter's day.
(b) Brutus' day.
(c) Genghis Khan's day.
(d) Alexis' day.
9. Sieges were preferred to open-field battle and frequently ended in what manner?
(a) Honorable surrender.
(b) Massive retreat.
(c) Minimal deaths.
(d) Religious sanctuary.
10. In Chapter 9, Peter was shown enjoying his freedom for how many more years?
11. After serfs and peasants were drafted by the thousands for unskilled shipbuilding labor, what work moved swiftly despite what?
(a) Moderate desertion and death rates, no machinery,
(b) High desertion and death rates, no machinery,
(c) High desertion and death rates, poor machinery,
(d) High desertion and death rates, minimal machinery,
12. Peter was shown in Chapter 6 as having preferred activities out of the way at _______________.
(b) Pavlovsky Posad.
13. Frederick of Denmark dropped out of the conflict following what?
(a) Totally bloodless campaign.
(b) Nearly bloodless campaign.
(c) Near annihilation.
(d) Very bloody campaign.
14. How many Dutch specialists and officers did the "Great Embassy" send to Russia?
15. The King of Poland convinced Peter to undertake a joint war against which nation?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which nations sided with Charles XII against Denmark to keep the European political status quo?
2. In Chapter 7, Sophia installed new cohorts including her lover, Prince Vasily Golitsyn, and which others?
3. Peter failed in his efforts with Leopold I to gain an ally against the Turks, as Austria was seeking peace in anticipation of new warfare in _____________.
4. How did Sophia use Fedor's funeral to break tradition?
5. Tsar Alexis is described as what type of ruler?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)