|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From Voronezh where he displayed power and obtained a treaty with the Turks when Baltic fighting started, Peter set out to reclaim what?
(a) Estonia, Karelia.
(b) Livonia, Ingria.
(c) Karelia, Ingria.
(d) Estonia, Livonia.
2. Chapter 1 described Moscow in what period?
(a) The 1650s.
(b) The 1680s.
(c) The 1670s.
(d) The 1660s.
3. In what year did Peter first visit Archangel, Russia's only port near the Arctic Circle?
4. When was Peter born?
(a) August 30, 1672.
(b) June 30, 1672.
(c) May 30, 1672.
(d) April 30, 1672.
5. Golitsyn was responsible for what foreign policy highpoint of the Regency?
(a) Return of Kiev to Russian control.
(b) Return of Moscow to Russian control.
(c) Return of Kazan to Russian control.
(d) Return of Perm to Russian control.
6. What did Peter use to assess the plot and rid himself of the menace?
7. As many fundamentalists rallied behind Archpriest Avvakum, where did others populate?
(a) The far east.
(b) The far west.
(c) The far south.
(d) The far north.
8. Peter was treated as an upstart monarch, but he behaved with decorum as he was eager to meet Leopold I, master of _____________.
(a) Central Europe.
(b) Eastern Europe.
(c) Southern Europe.
(d) All nations surrounding the Black Sea.
9. Reports that the Streltsy were marching against him sent Peter in flight by night to the historic Troitsky Monastery______________.
(a) On Veliky Novgorod.
(b) On Preobrazhenskoe.
(c) On Angarsk.
(d) On Nizhnevartovsk.
10. Peter was careful to wander, survey, and practice all that he saw Western technology and science reveal, and he dedicated himself to ____________.
(a) Advancing international well-being.
(b) Achieving the same in Russia.
(c) Using the same to conquer the West.
(d) Using the same to conquer Sweden.
11. The "Great Embassy" was led by Lefort, two key diplomats, and ____________.
12. Who was the King of Poland that Peter met en route home?
(a) Augustus II.
(b) Augustus I.
(d) Heinrich I.
13. What title of Chapter 19 encapsulated Russian punishment methods?
(a) "Fire and Knout."
(b) "Fire and Brimstone".
(c) "Fire and Rope".
(d) "Fire and Death".
14. What were some ways Peter broke tradition beyond freeing himself of Eudoxia, shaving nobles' beards, and using decorations in lieu of land as rewards?
(a) Reforming Russian feudal system.
(b) Affording peasants, not serfs, voting rights.
(c) Reforming the calendar and currency.
(d) Offering land in exchange for military service.
15. The "Great Embassy" ended abruptly before a trip to ________________because word came that the Streltsy were rebelling?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 25, Peter attacked a 13th-century Estonian seaport fortress that was defended by how many men?
2. Which friend did Peter bury In March, 1699?
3. Why did Peter go incognito to complete his education?
4. What happened to Peter's great fleet when he sent an envoy on the first Russian warship to enter the Black Sea?
5. Chapter 24 summarized Charles XII's youth and stressed his love of military science and adventure before he took the throne at what age?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)