|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Patkul, an anti-Swede from __________, stirred Peter and Augustus to action against Charles XII?
2. What happened to Peter's great fleet when he sent an envoy on the first Russian warship to enter the Black Sea?
(a) Sold, leaving sailors to march back.
(b) Relinquished as part of the truce.
(c) Engaged in future warfare service.
(d) Rotted unused for lack of purpose.
3. For how many years was Anna Mons the mistress of Peter?
4. Peter himself went incognito among the 250-member staff as whom?
(a) Peter Mikhailov.
(b) Peter Golovin.
(c) Peter Voznitsyn.
(d) Peter Makarov.
5. Which nations sided with Charles XII against Denmark to keep the European political status quo?
(a) Finland, Poland.
(b) England, Netherlands.
(c) Netherlands, Finland.
(d) England, Poland.
6. As many fundamentalists rallied behind Archpriest Avvakum, where did others populate?
(a) The far north.
(b) The far east.
(c) The far south.
(d) The far west.
7. Peter evaded an anti-Swedish alliance in Prussia to concentrate on whom?
8. In Chapter 25, Peter attacked a 13th-century Estonian seaport fortress that was defended by how many men?
9. Peter was concerned by the loss at Narva, but he spared nothing to outfit and train his new army under whom?
(a) Brutus Sheremetev.
(b) Boris Sheremetev.
(c) Alexis Sheremetev.
(d) Markus Sheremetev.
10. Who was the King of Poland that Peter met en route home?
(b) Augustus I.
(c) Heinrich I.
(d) Augustus II.
11. Patriarch Nikon, who challenged Alexis and sternly enforced his own views, was deposed in what year?
12. During the period when Peter built a warship, endangered himself with war games and fireworks, and ignored the Kremlin, what almost took his life?
(c) Yellow fever.
13. Which friend did Peter bury In March, 1699?
14. How did Sophia use Fedor's funeral to break tradition?
(a) Mourned, raged publicly.
(b) Mourned, prayed privately.
(c) Mourned, chanted publicly.
(d) Mourned, cried publicly.
15. When Peter lived openly in the German suburb among foreigners, which three important friends did he make?
(a) Sylvester Medvedev, Louis de Vauban, Alexander Danilovich.
(b) Patrick Gordon, Andrew Vinius, Francis Lefort.
(c) Andrew Vinius, Louis de Vauban, Patrick Gordon.
(d) Sylvester Medvedev, Alexander Danilovich, Francis Lefort.
Short Answer Questions
1. What observation could be made about Peter given that he enjoyed Mock-Synod celebrations at Christmas and before Lent, stood with troops rather than the Patriarch at Epiphany when the Moscow River is blessed, and ended executions with bodies being buried as Lent begins?
2. At what age did Peter lose his father?
3. During what year did Muscovy's soldiers believe Sophia's rumors of treachery?
4. Reports that the Streltsy were marching against him sent Peter in flight by night to the historic Troitsky Monastery______________.
5. The Streltsy mobilized against rumors that Peter would kill whom in Chapter 8?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)