|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 24 summarized Charles XII's youth and stressed his love of military science and adventure before he took the throne at what age?
2. What happened to Peter's great fleet when he sent an envoy on the first Russian warship to enter the Black Sea?
(a) Relinquished as part of the truce.
(b) Engaged in future warfare service.
(c) Rotted unused for lack of purpose.
(d) Sold, leaving sailors to march back.
3. Golitsyn was responsible for what foreign policy highpoint of the Regency?
(a) Return of Perm to Russian control.
(b) Return of Kazan to Russian control.
(c) Return of Kiev to Russian control.
(d) Return of Moscow to Russian control.
4. Leopold I promised not to relinquish gains Peter made at Azov, but he offered no assistance in gaining entry to which sea?
(a) Adriatic Sea.
(b) Black Sea.
(c) Mediterranean Sea.
(d) Baltic Sea.
5. When was Peter born?
(a) April 30, 1672.
(b) June 30, 1672.
(c) August 30, 1672.
(d) May 30, 1672.
6. What was William III doing in Holland when the "Great Embassy" arrived?
(a) Conducting two wars simultaneously.
(b) Concluding two separate wars,
(c) Preparing for a war abroad,
(d) Concluding one war, preparing for another,
7. In Chapter 12, Peter felt the need to shore up a dying anti-Turkish alliance and European worries grew regarding whose ambitions?
(a) Charles CI.
(b) Mary II.
(c) Philip IV.
(d) Louis XIV.
8. Patkul, an anti-Swede from __________, stirred Peter and Augustus to action against Charles XII?
9. Peter failed in his efforts with Leopold I to gain an ally against the Turks, as Austria was seeking peace in anticipation of new warfare in _____________.
(a) The East.
(b) The North.
(c) The West.
(d) The South.
10. Who was the King of Poland that Peter met en route home?
(b) Augustus II.
(c) Augustus I.
(d) Heinrich I.
11. "Great Embassy" member in Russia felt that Europeans who embraced music, art, literature, and science were _________.
12. After his mother died, Peter returned to Archangel, launched a ship, almost drowned on another, and took delivery and command of a warship built where?
13. At what age did Peter lose his father?
14. In Chapter 7, Sophia installed new cohorts including her lover, Prince Vasily Golitsyn, and which others?
(a) Chief advisor, principle minister.
(b) Defense minister, political advisor.
(c) Financial advisor, religious minister.
(d) Prime minister, cultural counselor.
15. Which two carousing groups did Peter form that convinced many he was the Antichrist?
(a) "Imbibing Crewmen" and "Happy Swordsmen."
(b) "Jolly Muskateers" and "Laughing Bandits."
(c) "Merry Helmsmen" and "Roistering Angels."
(d) "Jolly Company" and "Drunken Synod."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Peter build an outpost that grew into the Kronstadt naval base?
2. What were some ways Peter broke tradition beyond freeing himself of Eudoxia, shaving nobles' beards, and using decorations in lieu of land as rewards?
3. Sophia surveyed the plight of women in 17th-century Russia and ______________in particular.
4. In Chapter 3, who was Sophia?
5. The King of Poland convinced Peter to undertake a joint war against which nation?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)