|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Peter dealt harshly with robbers and beggars, especially ones who ________________.
(a) Threatened foreigners.
(b) Threatened children.
(c) Threatened women.
(d) Threatened the ill or handicapped.
2. After serfs and peasants were drafted by the thousands for unskilled shipbuilding labor, what work moved swiftly despite what?
(a) Moderate desertion and death rates, no machinery,
(b) High desertion and death rates, minimal machinery,
(c) High desertion and death rates, poor machinery,
(d) High desertion and death rates, no machinery,
3. Which friend did Peter bury In March, 1699?
4. Chapter 24 summarized Charles XII's youth and stressed his love of military science and adventure before he took the throne at what age?
5. Since Peter needed a more systematic approach to naval concerns, he visited England. How long was he in England?
(a) Four months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Eight months.
(d) Ten months.
6. During the period when Peter built a warship, endangered himself with war games and fireworks, and ignored the Kremlin, what almost took his life?
(c) Yellow fever.
7. How long did Peter work at the Dutch company to learn his trade?
(a) Four months.
(b) Eight months.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
8. Who was the King of Poland that Peter met en route home?
(b) Augustus I.
(c) Augustus II.
(d) Heinrich I.
9. The "Great Embassy" ended abruptly before a trip to ________________because word came that the Streltsy were rebelling?
10. Peter dealt grimly with the Streltsy after they marched _____________ to replace the absent Tsar.
(a) On Moscow.
(b) On Preobrazhenskoe.
(c) On Semyonovskoe.
(d) On Archangel.
11. What did Peter use to assess the plot and rid himself of the menace?
12. What were some ways Peter broke tradition beyond freeing himself of Eudoxia, shaving nobles' beards, and using decorations in lieu of land as rewards?
(a) Offering land in exchange for military service.
(b) Reforming Russian feudal system.
(c) Affording peasants, not serfs, voting rights.
(d) Reforming the calendar and currency.
13. In 1695, Peter attacked Azov, the Turkish fortress, to end Tatar raids in the Ukraine and gain access to which sea?
(a) Baltic Sea.
(b) Black Sea.
(c) Mediterranean Sea.
(d) Red Sea.
14. Who kept order as Peter embarked on the "Great Embassy"?
15. Sweden, overextended at the peak of its power, ruled Estonia, Ingria, Finland, Karelia, Western Pomerania, Livonia, and ports near what location?
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 15 reflected William III, simultaneously King of England and Stadholder of Holland, as __________.
2. When Fedor died in 1682 without an heir, the choice was between Peter and ____________.
3. What was the result of Golitsyn's encounter with the Khan of the Crimea?
4. Upset by Sophia, whom did the boyars rally around?
5. During what year did Muscovy's soldiers believe Sophia's rumors of treachery?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)