|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Patriarch Nikon, who challenged Alexis and sternly enforced his own views, was deposed in what year?
2. From Voronezh where he displayed power and obtained a treaty with the Turks when Baltic fighting started, Peter set out to reclaim what?
(a) Estonia, Karelia.
(b) Estonia, Livonia.
(c) Karelia, Ingria.
(d) Livonia, Ingria.
3. Where did Peter build an outpost that grew into the Kronstadt naval base?
(a) Bornholm Island.
(b) Kotlin Island.
(c) Wolin Island.
(d) Gotland Island.
4. When did Charles XII launch his surprise campaign against Narva?
5. Peter was concerned by the loss at Narva, but he spared nothing to outfit and train his new army under whom?
(a) Boris Sheremetev.
(b) Markus Sheremetev.
(c) Alexis Sheremetev.
(d) Brutus Sheremetev.
6. Who was the King of Poland that Peter met en route home?
(a) Augustus II.
(b) Heinrich I.
(c) Augustus I.
7. When was Peter born?
(a) August 30, 1672.
(b) June 30, 1672.
(c) May 30, 1672.
(d) April 30, 1672.
8. After serfs and peasants were drafted by the thousands for unskilled shipbuilding labor, what work moved swiftly despite what?
(a) Moderate desertion and death rates, no machinery,
(b) High desertion and death rates, poor machinery,
(c) High desertion and death rates, no machinery,
(d) High desertion and death rates, minimal machinery,
9. What was William III doing in Holland when the "Great Embassy" arrived?
(a) Conducting two wars simultaneously.
(b) Concluding two separate wars,
(c) Concluding one war, preparing for another,
(d) Preparing for a war abroad,
10. William III was not ready when he met Peter during the "Great Embassy" to ally against which group?
11. After invading the Kremlin, for how many days did Muscovy's soldiers kill boyars?
(d) A week.
12. Sieges were preferred to open-field battle and frequently ended in what manner?
(a) Religious sanctuary.
(b) Honorable surrender.
(c) Massive retreat.
(d) Minimal deaths.
13. Peter was humiliated across Europe when Swedes broke through what type of defenses that the Russians built at Narva?
14. Peter failed in his efforts with Leopold I to gain an ally against the Turks, as Austria was seeking peace in anticipation of new warfare in _____________.
(a) The South.
(b) The North.
(c) The West.
(d) The East.
15. In 1695, Peter attacked Azov, the Turkish fortress, to end Tatar raids in the Ukraine and gain access to which sea?
(a) Mediterranean Sea.
(b) Black Sea.
(c) Red Sea.
(d) Baltic Sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the period when Peter built a warship, endangered himself with war games and fireworks, and ignored the Kremlin, what almost took his life?
2. Which friend did Peter bury In March, 1699?
3. Peter dealt harshly with robbers and beggars, especially ones who ________________.
4. Peter dealt grimly with the Streltsy after they marched _____________ to replace the absent Tsar.
5. Peter evaded an anti-Swedish alliance in Prussia to concentrate on whom?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)