|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Peter's great fleet when he sent an envoy on the first Russian warship to enter the Black Sea?
(a) Engaged in future warfare service.
(b) Rotted unused for lack of purpose.
(c) Sold, leaving sailors to march back.
(d) Relinquished as part of the truce.
2. Peter won over the Patriarch, threatened to kill any who opposed him, and then commanded all foreign officers to do what?
(a) Surrender or face death.
(b) Rally behind him.
(c) Lay down their arms.
(d) Leave, return home.
3. How did Sophia use Fedor's funeral to break tradition?
(a) Mourned, raged publicly.
(b) Mourned, cried publicly.
(c) Mourned, prayed privately.
(d) Mourned, chanted publicly.
4. Which friend did Peter bury In March, 1699?
5. In 1695, Peter attacked Azov, the Turkish fortress, to end Tatar raids in the Ukraine and gain access to which sea?
(a) Mediterranean Sea.
(b) Black Sea.
(c) Red Sea.
(d) Baltic Sea.
6. Seventeenth century European wars were shown to be steadily growing in deadliness and scope, yet what rules were they still obeying?
(a) Seasonal campaigning.
(b) Afternoon tea sessions.
(c) Use of catapults, horses, caissons.
(d) Use of shields, swords, spears.
7. In Chapter 12, Peter felt the need to shore up a dying anti-Turkish alliance and European worries grew regarding whose ambitions?
(a) Louis XIV.
(b) Mary II.
(c) Charles CI.
(d) Philip IV.
8. The "Great Embassy" was led by Lefort, two key diplomats, and ____________.
9. Sweden, overextended at the peak of its power, ruled Estonia, Ingria, Finland, Karelia, Western Pomerania, Livonia, and ports near what location?
10. What was William III doing in Holland when the "Great Embassy" arrived?
(a) Concluding one war, preparing for another,
(b) Concluding two separate wars,
(c) Conducting two wars simultaneously.
(d) Preparing for a war abroad,
11. Tsar Alexis is described as what type of ruler?
12. Peter was humiliated across Europe when Swedes broke through what type of defenses that the Russians built at Narva?
13. Which two carousing groups did Peter form that convinced many he was the Antichrist?
(a) "Imbibing Crewmen" and "Happy Swordsmen."
(b) "Jolly Company" and "Drunken Synod."
(c) "Merry Helmsmen" and "Roistering Angels."
(d) "Jolly Muskateers" and "Laughing Bandits."
14. In Chapter 7, Sophia installed new cohorts including her lover, Prince Vasily Golitsyn, and which others?
(a) Chief advisor, principle minister.
(b) Defense minister, political advisor.
(c) Prime minister, cultural counselor.
(d) Financial advisor, religious minister.
15. Peter dealt grimly with the Streltsy after they marched _____________ to replace the absent Tsar.
(a) On Moscow.
(b) On Semyonovskoe.
(c) On Preobrazhenskoe.
(d) On Archangel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter failed in his efforts with Leopold I to gain an ally against the Turks, as Austria was seeking peace in anticipation of new warfare in _____________.
2. What happened to Sophia after her inner circle was tortured and Peter refused to see her?
3. What title of Chapter 19 encapsulated Russian punishment methods?
4. Who was the King of Poland that Peter met en route home?
5. What observation could be made about Peter given that he enjoyed Mock-Synod celebrations at Christmas and before Lent, stood with troops rather than the Patriarch at Epiphany when the Moscow River is blessed, and ended executions with bodies being buried as Lent begins?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)