|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When leaving Pleasantview Cemetery, where does Louis find his car keys?
2. Who comforts Ellie at the graveside service in Chapter 41?
3. In Chapter 46, who decides to wait up for Louis to return home instead of leaving to go find him?
4. Who bumps into and knocks over the casket in Chapter 36?
5. Who is hiding in Gage's closet in Chapter 35?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using Norma's voice, what does one of the intruders tell Jud about what his wife knows and what his wife did?
2. What challenge does Louis face when returning to his car with Gage's body and how does he overcome it?
3. How does Jud die? How does he end up on the floor and what weapon was used?
4. After burying Gage in the Indian cemetery, Louis makes his way home then falls asleep. What does he dream?
5. Why was Rachel scared of her sister?
6. In Chapter 58, what awakens Jud and why is he upset?
7. Who misses the family viewing at the funeral home when Gage dies and why?
8. What is the date of Gage's funeral and in what sequence do we learn about it in the book?
9. What will Louis do if Gage is resurrected as some kind of monster? How does he hope that Gage will return to life?
10. What inspires Rachel to finally discuss her sister's death? Is she usually inspired by such instances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 51-57, Louis and Rachel are both experiencing some conflict. Define conflict and discuss in detail the conflicts facing Louis and Rachel in these chapters. Please also note the technique in which the author reports or expresses the urgency of the conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and define exposition. What did the reader learn from the exposition in Pet Sematary? Was the information consistent throughout the book or did it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)