|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Louis leave for the Pleasantview Cemetery?
2. What happened just days after Timmy Baterman's funeral?
3. Who comforts Ellie at the graveside service in Chapter 41?
4. What do the father and son do on Louis's best day ever?
5. Why is Ellie sedated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the two intruders in Jud's house and what reason does one intruder give for being there?
2. Rachel pulls into a hotel for the night, but doesn't stay. Why does she leave?
3. Why doesn't Louis drive home after taking his family to the airport and what thoughts does he have while eating dinner at the hotel's restaurant?
4. What secret does Jud admit to Louis in Chapter 39 and why does he share it?
5. What is happening with Louis and with Rachel at 11 p.m. in Chapters 47-48? Why does the author report their activities this way?
6. When Louis first saw the Indian burial ground, he noted all the cairns had been disturbed. As he's burying Gage, the reader learns that Louis has discovered why. Why have the cairns been disturbed and how does Louis know this?
7. Why can't Louis help console his wife and daughter?
8. Why does Louis watch over his sleeping son after their fun day?
9. What inspires Rachel to finally discuss her sister's death? Is she usually inspired by such instances?
10. What makes Ellie sick during her plane trip? What makes her perk up at the end of the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 51-57, Louis and Rachel are both experiencing some conflict. Define conflict and discuss in detail the conflicts facing Louis and Rachel in these chapters. Please also note the technique in which the author reports or expresses the urgency of the conflict.
Essay Topic 2
What is inciting force and which character was the inciting force in this story? How did the character fulfill that role? Give three examples and discuss the importance of each one in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and accomplishments of the Pet Sematary author, Stephen King. How did he begin his writing career? What other jobs has he performed? What other works has he written?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)