|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Louis's dream in Chapter 40, what accomplishment does Gage earn?
2. What time does Rachel miss her plane in Boston?
3. How were all the cairns disturbed at the Indian burial site?
4. In Chapter 57, what does Louis check his doctor's bag for?
5. What is the last happy day of Louis's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Louis watch over his sleeping son after their fun day?
2. What is the date of Gage's funeral and in what sequence do we learn about it in the book?
3. How does Louis feel when he sees Jud comforting Ellie at the funeral in Chapter 41 and why does he feel that way?
4. Why doesn't Louis drive home after taking his family to the airport and what thoughts does he have while eating dinner at the hotel's restaurant?
5. What makes Ellie sick during her plane trip? What makes her perk up at the end of the trip?
6. Why can't Louis help console his wife and daughter?
7. Why does Louis want Rachel and Ellie to go to Chicago and how does he convince them to go?
8. How does Louis get into Pleasantview Cemetery once the gates are locked?
9. What reason does Jud rationalize for not intercepting Louis once he realizes what Louis must have planned? How does the author lead the reader to believe that there is another reason Jud does not intercept Louis?
10. What is happening with Louis and with Rachel at 11 p.m. in Chapters 47-48? Why does the author report their activities this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jud was terrified that the resurrected Timmy Baterman "knew things." How does this fear relate to the conflict and the theme of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What is inciting force and which character was the inciting force in this story? How did the character fulfill that role? Give three examples and discuss the importance of each one in detail.
Essay Topic 3
There are several techniques the author uses to build suspense. Write in detail about two of those techniques and give examples from the story.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)