|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills Jud?
2. Why is Jud worried in Chapter 45?
3. What did Zelda call The Wizard of Oz?
4. Why doesn't Louis return home after dropping the family off at the airport?
5. In Louis's dream in Chapter 40, what accomplishment does Gage earn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jud die? How does he end up on the floor and what weapon was used?
2. How does Louis feel when he sees Jud comforting Ellie at the funeral in Chapter 41 and why does he feel that way?
3. How does Louis get into Pleasantview Cemetery once the gates are locked?
4. When Louis first saw the Indian burial ground, he noted all the cairns had been disturbed. As he's burying Gage, the reader learns that Louis has discovered why. Why have the cairns been disturbed and how does Louis know this?
5. After burying Gage in the Indian cemetery, Louis makes his way home then falls asleep. What does he dream?
6. What is happening with Louis and with Rachel at 11 p.m. in Chapters 47-48? Why does the author report their activities this way?
7. Why doesn't Louis drive home after taking his family to the airport and what thoughts does he have while eating dinner at the hotel's restaurant?
8. What secret does Jud admit to Louis in Chapter 39 and why does he share it?
9. What inspires Rachel to finally discuss her sister's death? Is she usually inspired by such instances?
10. Why was Rachel scared of her sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In literature, there are five types of conflict: man vs. man, man vs. nature/supernatural, man vs. society, man vs. self, and man vs. technology. Which conflict is Pet Sematary? How would the story have differed if written from a different conflict? Select a different conflict and discuss how the story might have been different.
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss climax in literature. When does it occur? Discuss the climax of Pet Sematary in detail.
Essay Topic 3
What is the resolution in Pet Sematary and does it resolve the primary conflict in the novel? Explain your answer.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)