|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who prescribes bed rest for Rachel and Ellie?
2. How does Louis get into the Pleasantview Cemetery?
3. Whose funeral is on May 17?
4. Who asks Louis at the airport if he's still mad at his father-in-law?
5. How old is Ellie on her birthday in Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Louis feel when he sees Jud comforting Ellie at the funeral in Chapter 41 and why does he feel that way?
2. Using Norma's voice, what does one of the intruders tell Jud about what his wife knows and what his wife did?
3. In Chapter 58, what awakens Jud and why is he upset?
4. Why can't Louis help console his wife and daughter?
5. Why does Louis want Rachel and Ellie to go to Chicago and how does he convince them to go?
6. After burying Gage in the Indian cemetery, Louis makes his way home then falls asleep. What does he dream?
7. When Louis first saw the Indian burial ground, he noted all the cairns had been disturbed. As he's burying Gage, the reader learns that Louis has discovered why. Why have the cairns been disturbed and how does Louis know this?
8. What father-son activity do the Creeds enjoy on March 24, 1984 and why is it so special?
9. What secret does Jud admit to Louis in Chapter 39 and why does he share it?
10. Who are the two intruders in Jud's house and what reason does one intruder give for being there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is inciting force and which character was the inciting force in this story? How did the character fulfill that role? Give three examples and discuss the importance of each one in detail.
Essay Topic 2
There are four points of view in which literature is usually written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are several techniques the author uses to build suspense. Write in detail about two of those techniques and give examples from the story.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)