|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two obstacles does Rachel encounter on her driving trip?
2. In Chapter 57, what does Louis dream?
3. How does Rachel continue her trip after missing her plane?
4. Where is the first place Rachel goes when she gets back into Ludlow?
5. On the path to the pet sematary, Louis hears a sobbing laugh. He tells himself it is only...
Short Essay Questions
1. After burying Gage in the Indian cemetery, Louis makes his way home then falls asleep. What does he dream?
2. Who are the two intruders in Jud's house and what reason does one intruder give for being there?
3. Using Norma's voice, what does one of the intruders tell Jud about what his wife knows and what his wife did?
4. What is the date of Gage's funeral and in what sequence do we learn about it in the book?
5. How does Louis feel when he sees Jud comforting Ellie at the funeral in Chapter 41 and why does he feel that way?
6. What father-son activity do the Creeds enjoy on March 24, 1984 and why is it so special?
7. When Louis first saw the Indian burial ground, he noted all the cairns had been disturbed. As he's burying Gage, the reader learns that Louis has discovered why. Why have the cairns been disturbed and how does Louis know this?
8. What is happening with Louis and with Rachel at 11 p.m. in Chapters 47-48? Why does the author report their activities this way?
9. How does Jud die? How does he end up on the floor and what weapon was used?
10. In Chapter 58, what awakens Jud and why is he upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Louis's main character flaw? How does it affect his relationship with his wife? How does it affect him intrapersonally? Why is Louis able to discuss death honestly with his daughter? What to these traits tell us about the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
There are several techniques the author uses to build suspense. Write in detail about two of those techniques and give examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tone of Pet Sematary. How did the author reveal the tone and from whose point of view? Was the tone consistent throughout the book or did it seem to fluctuate? Include examples from the story with your discussion.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)