|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ellie sedated?
2. What time does Rachel miss her plane in Boston?
3. While on the plane to Chicago, which character visits Ellie in a dream to tell her something bad is going to happen?
4. How does Louis open the grave-liner?
5. What happened just days after Timmy Baterman's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Rachel scared of her sister?
2. Who are the two intruders in Jud's house and what reason does one intruder give for being there?
3. What makes Ellie sick during her plane trip? What makes her perk up at the end of the trip?
4. What is happening with Louis and with Rachel at 11 p.m. in Chapters 47-48? Why does the author report their activities this way?
5. Why can't Louis help console his wife and daughter?
6. What challenge does Louis face when returning to his car with Gage's body and how does he overcome it?
7. Why does Louis want Rachel and Ellie to go to Chicago and how does he convince them to go?
8. What reason does Jud rationalize for not intercepting Louis once he realizes what Louis must have planned? How does the author lead the reader to believe that there is another reason Jud does not intercept Louis?
9. Who misses the family viewing at the funeral home when Gage dies and why?
10. What father-son activity do the Creeds enjoy on March 24, 1984 and why is it so special?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are four points of view in which literature is usually written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and accomplishments of the Pet Sematary author, Stephen King. How did he begin his writing career? What other jobs has he performed? What other works has he written?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)