|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Louis open the grave-liner?
2. What makes Rachel think of Gage when she arrives at the first place she stops in Ludlow?
3. How were all the cairns disturbed at the Indian burial site?
4. Who does Rachel actually see upstairs in Chapter 59?
5. What do the father and son do on Louis's best day ever?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Louis want Rachel and Ellie to go to Chicago and how does he convince them to go?
2. Who are the two intruders in Jud's house and what reason does one intruder give for being there?
3. What will Louis do if Gage is resurrected as some kind of monster? How does he hope that Gage will return to life?
4. Rachel pulls into a hotel for the night, but doesn't stay. Why does she leave?
5. When Louis first saw the Indian burial ground, he noted all the cairns had been disturbed. As he's burying Gage, the reader learns that Louis has discovered why. Why have the cairns been disturbed and how does Louis know this?
6. How does Jud die? How does he end up on the floor and what weapon was used?
7. How does Louis get into Pleasantview Cemetery once the gates are locked?
8. Using Norma's voice, what does one of the intruders tell Jud about what his wife knows and what his wife did?
9. What challenge does Louis face when returning to his car with Gage's body and how does he overcome it?
10. What reason does Jud rationalize for not intercepting Louis once he realizes what Louis must have planned? How does the author lead the reader to believe that there is another reason Jud does not intercept Louis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 2
In Pet Sematary, forces of both good and evil draw from an all-knowing, or omniscient, spiritual plane. Give examples of the good and evil from the spiritual plane.
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss climax in literature. When does it occur? Discuss the climax of Pet Sematary in detail.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)