|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday do the children look forward to in Chapter 20?
2. Who offers to take Ellie for a walk down the path in the Creed's backyard?
3. What perplexes Louis about the dying man in the campus clinic on the first day of school?
4. What is the first emergency Louis tends to at his new job?
5. Which family were trappers and traders in the community in the 1800s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Louis's reaction when the dead man shows up in his bedroom doorway?
2. What medical emergency does Louis help with on Halloween night?
3. Why does Louis visit the Pet Sematary after dinner in Chapter 18 and what does he do when he is there?
4. Discuss the difference between Louis's and Rachel's thoughts regarding death.
5. Why does Louis try to quickly clean up any animals that Church kills?
6. Why is Louis reluctant to take Jud up on his offer of a late-night beer?
7. Discuss the appearance of the "pet sematary."
8. What does Jud say the community believed about the Wendigo and what is his own belief?
9. Why doesn't Norma get out of the house more?
10. How does Louis explain to Ellie about the cat getting "fixed."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone of Pet Sematary. How did the author reveal the tone and from whose point of view? Was the tone consistent throughout the book or did it seem to fluctuate? Include examples from the story with your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What is inciting force and which character was the inciting force in this story? How did the character fulfill that role? Give three examples and discuss the importance of each one in detail.
Essay Topic 3
In Pet Sematary, forces of both good and evil draw from an all-knowing, or omniscient, spiritual plane. Give examples of the good and evil from the spiritual plane.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)