|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is spending Thanksgiving in Chicago?
2. Who told Jud about the second burial ground?
3. What does Ellie think about her cat?
4. Who is babysitting the Creed children so their parents can have alone time in Chapter 14?
5. What happens when Louis climbs the deadfall in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss two examples of foreshadowing in Chapters 6-10.
2. Why is Louis reluctant to take Jud up on his offer of a late-night beer?
3. Who is Louis's first patient at the university medical center on the first day of school?
4. What is ironic about the advice Jud gives Louis in Chapter 2?
5. Discuss two situations cause Louis anxiety in Chapter 7.
6. What medical emergency does Louis help with on Halloween night?
7. As the story opens, what is Louis's dream job and fantasy?
8. Why did Stanny B know so much about the Micmac Indians?
9. What secret does Jud and Louis keep from their wives in Chapter 25 and who decides it must be kept a secret?
10. What does Louis notice about the family pet after getting it neutered? What do the other family members notice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 51-57, Louis and Rachel are both experiencing some conflict. Define conflict and discuss in detail the conflicts facing Louis and Rachel in these chapters. Please also note the technique in which the author reports or expresses the urgency of the conflict.
Essay Topic 2
In literature, there are five types of conflict: man vs. man, man vs. nature/supernatural, man vs. society, man vs. self, and man vs. technology. Which conflict is Pet Sematary? How would the story have differed if written from a different conflict? Select a different conflict and discuss how the story might have been different.
Essay Topic 3
What is Louis's main character flaw? How does it affect his relationship with his wife? How does it affect him intrapersonally? Why is Louis able to discuss death honestly with his daughter? What to these traits tell us about the protagonist?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)