|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is spending Thanksgiving in Chicago?
2. Who returns to the Creed home in Chapter 25?
3. Which word completes the prophetic phrase spoken to Louis by two different people: "The soil of a man's heart is..."
4. How many times does Louis put Church out in Chapter 28?
5. Who dies after Thanksgiving dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Louis first saw the Indian burial ground, he noted all the cairns had been disturbed. As he's burying Gage, the reader learns that Louis has discovered why. Why have the cairns been disturbed and how does Louis know this?
2. In Chapter 58, what awakens Jud and why is he upset?
3. Who misses the family viewing at the funeral home when Gage dies and why?
4. What is ironic about the advice Jud gives Louis in Chapter 2?
5. Who is Steve Masterson and what role does he have in the horrible accident that happens on the first day of school?
6. What alarms Louis on the first day of school as he pulls into the medical center parking lot?
7. Discuss the appearance of the "pet sematary."
8. Why doesn't Louis doubt Jud's tale about the evil powers at the Indian burial grounds?
9. Discuss two examples of foreshadowing in Chapters 6-10.
10. What is the date of Gage's funeral and in what sequence do we learn about it in the book?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 51-57, Louis and Rachel are both experiencing some conflict. Define conflict and discuss in detail the conflicts facing Louis and Rachel in these chapters. Please also note the technique in which the author reports or expresses the urgency of the conflict.
Essay Topic 2
There are several techniques the author uses to build suspense. Write in detail about two of those techniques and give examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
What is the resolution in Pet Sematary and does it resolve the primary conflict in the novel? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)