|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the blowdown mark?
2. How does Louis explain his hysteria to his wife?
3. What happens when Louis climbs the deadfall in Chapter 18?
4. How high does Gage's fever get?
5. In Chapter 1, why is Louis reluctant to take Jud up on his invitation to stop by for a beer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rachel pulls into a hotel for the night, but doesn't stay. Why does she leave?
2. What happens as the family stares at their new home for the first time?
3. What does Louis do with the Creed family pet after the truck accident on the busy road?
4. Why does Louis watch over his sleeping son after their fun day?
5. How does the university medical center transport Pascow to the local hospital?
6. Why does Louis want Rachel and Ellie to go to Chicago and how does he convince them to go?
7. How does Louis feel when he sees Jud comforting Ellie at the funeral in Chapter 41 and why does he feel that way?
8. What medical emergency does Louis help with on Halloween night?
9. What do the Indians believe about the Wendigo and how does this belief affect their sacred burial grounds?
10. Who misses the family viewing at the funeral home when Gage dies and why?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone of Pet Sematary. How did the author reveal the tone and from whose point of view? Was the tone consistent throughout the book or did it seem to fluctuate? Include examples from the story with your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 3
How was Victor Pascow important to the story? What was his role and how did he fulfill it? How did the author's decision to use a stranger for this role impact the story?
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)