|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Jud about the second burial ground?
2. What perplexes Louis about the dying man in the campus clinic on the first day of school?
3. How does Ellie feel after her first day at school?
4. What holiday do the children look forward to in Chapter 20?
5. Who made the grave markers for the pet cemetery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the family stares at their new home for the first time?
2. Why does Louis visit the Pet Sematary after dinner in Chapter 18 and what does he do when he is there?
3. Discuss the difference between Louis's and Rachel's thoughts regarding death.
4. Discuss two situations cause Louis anxiety in Chapter 7.
5. As the story opens, what is Louis's dream job and fantasy?
6. Why is Louis reluctant to take Jud up on his offer of a late-night beer?
7. Discuss two examples of foreshadowing in Chapters 6-10.
8. Why doesn't Norma get out of the house more?
9. What grudge does Louis hold against his father-in-law and why doesn't the man like Louis?
10. How does Louis explain to Ellie about the cat getting "fixed."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone of Pet Sematary. How did the author reveal the tone and from whose point of view? Was the tone consistent throughout the book or did it seem to fluctuate? Include examples from the story with your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
How was Victor Pascow important to the story? What was his role and how did he fulfill it? How did the author's decision to use a stranger for this role impact the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is inciting force and which character was the inciting force in this story? How did the character fulfill that role? Give three examples and discuss the importance of each one in detail.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)