Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ulysses S. Grant's parents.
2. How did Grant feel about attending West Point? Why might he have felt this way?
3. Grant asked to be assigned to the cavalry but was assigned to the infantry. What is the difference between these two military groups? Why might he have wanted to be a part of the cavalry?
4. Prior to the Mexican War, Grant noted that the presence of U.S. soldiers was supposed to provoke an attack by the Mexicans but it did not. Why might they not have attacked?
5. Grant describes breaking mules for working with the military. Why might he have described this?
6. How did Grant feel about being involved in the Mexican War? Why might he have felt this way?
7. How does Grant contrast General Scott with General Taylor?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)