|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drug does O'Rourke say made kids psychotic?
2. Who was George H. W. Bush's first Drug Czar?
3. O'Rourke says the hysteria over drugs in the middle class could be the product of what?
4. What is the name of the hurricane that O'Rourke's wife asked him about?
5. What drug does O'Rourke says makes one acutely sensitive?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the title of O'Rourke's book. Who is he referring to when he speaks of the "parliament of whores"? Who are the "whores," and why does he use this word to describe this group? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What role did the media play in George H. W. Bush's popularity? How does O'Rourke characterize the media's feelings toward Bush? How does he seem to feel about the media's treatment of Bush? What is the significance of O'Rourke including this observation in his book? What point is he trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Explore O'Rourke's idea of the "whiffle life." How does it apply to people with different economic statuses? How do the rich fair in the whiffle life? How do the poor fair? What point is O'Rourke making about the country in general when he speaks about the "whiffle life"?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)