|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the alliance that O'Rourke traveled into poverty stricken areas with?
2. O'Rourke's wife asked him about a hurricane that hit what state?
3. O'Rourke attended a housing rally that took place where?
4. O'Rourke mocked college bohos at the housing rally who were dressed in what color?
5. O'Rourke says a cheap alternative to fix the failing school system could involve sending the children to what kind of school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the government wastes billions of dollars on farm subsidies, according to O'Rourke.
2. How does O'Rourke feel about the Guardian Angels after his experience with them?
3. How does O'Rourke feel about Panama when he goes there in the wake of Operation Just Cause?
4. Describe O'Rourke's experience when he joined the Guardian Angels on a drug den raid.
5. How does O'Rourke feel about American poverty at the beginning of "Poverty Policy: How to Endow Privation"?
6. Why does O'Rourke feels that Blatherboro is out of its depth when it comes to city planning?
7. How does O'Rourke feel about the seriousness of the problem of crack cocaine in America?
8. How does O'Rourke describe environmentalists?
9. What does O'Rourke mean when he says that Social Security is like the nation picking its own pocket?
10. What role do special interest groups play in politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does O'Rourke say that the 1991 budget caused Bush to become less popular? What were the American people hoping for with Bush? What platform did he run on? How did increased taxes tie into into his decreased popularity?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the significance of Jesse Jackson. What characteristics did O'Rourke see in Jackson that he was impressed by? What techniques does the author use to show that he is impressed by Jackson? Why does the author mention Jackson? What is he trying to say about him and about politicians in general?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author describe journalists? How does he seem to feel about these people? What techniques does the author use to show his opinions of Washington journalists? Why might his feelings about journalists be ironic? Does he address this irony?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)