Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the school drop-out rate in O'Rourke's town?
2. In "Defense Policy: Cry 'Havoc!' and "Let Slip the Hogs of Peace," O'Rourke worried that what country still posed a threat and might be waiting for America to fall beneath the weight of its own dissent?
3. During Operation Just Cause, O'Rourke was disgusted by the media's hysteria over what?
4. Who said, "What we want from the taxpayers is continual cooperation!" in regard to America's drug problem?
5. Who said, "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die"?
Explore the title of O'Rourke's book. Who is he referring to when he speaks of the "parliament of whores"? Who are the "whores," and why does he use this word to describe this group? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Look at the significance of Jesse Jackson. What characteristics did O'Rourke see in Jackson that he was impressed by? What techniques does the author use to show that he is impressed by Jackson? Why does the author mention Jackson? What is he trying to say about him and about politicians in general?
How does the author describe journalists? How does he seem to feel about these people? What techniques does the author use to show his opinions of Washington journalists? Why might his feelings about journalists be ironic? Does he address this irony?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)