|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the pamphlet called "'The Poor among Us--Challenge and Opportunity"?
2. What does O'Rourke call the people who join special interest groups?
3. What was the deadline for the last Soviet troops to be withdrawn from Afghanistan?
4. What drug does O'Rourke say made kids psychotic?
5. Who was the deputy chief of the DEA's Cocaine Desk when O'Rourke's book was written?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the title of O'Rourke's book. Who is he referring to when he speaks of the "parliament of whores"? Who are the "whores," and why does he use this word to describe this group? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author describe journalists? How does he seem to feel about these people? What techniques does the author use to show his opinions of Washington journalists? Why might his feelings about journalists be ironic? Does he address this irony?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the significance of Jesse Jackson. What characteristics did O'Rourke see in Jackson that he was impressed by? What techniques does the author use to show that he is impressed by Jackson? Why does the author mention Jackson? What is he trying to say about him and about politicians in general?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)