|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state did O'Rourke live?
2. O'Rourke's wife asked him about a hurricane that hit what state?
3. At the town meeting which O'Rourke attended, the town natives sat where?
4. What kind of life does O'Rourke say Americans lead?
5. O'Rourke says a cheap alternative to fix the failing school system could involve sending the children to what kind of school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the author's feelings about the Republican and Democratic parties. How does he characterize Republicans and their ideals? How does he characterize Democrats and their ideals? What characteristic do the parties share? What faults does he find with each party? Does he say anything positive about each party?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the story O'Rourke shares about shadowing a congressman on a "light" work day? What point is the author trying to make about congressmen and what is expected of them? How does O'Rourke feel about the general attitude toward congressmen? Are his feelings surprising to you? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why does O'Rourke say that the 1991 budget caused Bush to become less popular? What were the American people hoping for with Bush? What platform did he run on? How did increased taxes tie into into his decreased popularity?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)