|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did O'Rourke visit in the wake of Operation Just Cause?
2. O'Rourke argues that modern, poor Americans earn greater income than the middle-class Americans of what year?
3. On what day did O'Rourke attend a housing rally?
4. What kind of life does O'Rourke say Americans lead?
5. What drug does O'Rourke says makes one acutely sensitive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author describe journalists? How does he seem to feel about these people? What techniques does the author use to show his opinions of Washington journalists? Why might his feelings about journalists be ironic? Does he address this irony?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the title of O'Rourke's book. Who is he referring to when he speaks of the "parliament of whores"? Who are the "whores," and why does he use this word to describe this group? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What techniques does the author use to offer up his metaphor of the government's similarities to King George III? What are some of the examples he gives to support his claims? What does he say the founding fathers disagreed with King George III about?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)