|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hurricane that O'Rourke's wife asked him about?
2. O'Rourke says it is best to simply stay away from what Afghani tribesman?
3. At the town meeting which O'Rourke attended, the elderly retired people sat where?
4. What is the name of the Colonel who O'Rourke met while he was observing Operation Just Cause?
5. Who was George H. W. Bush's first Drug Czar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Rourke feel about American poverty at the beginning of "Poverty Policy: How to Endow Privation"?
2. Why does O'Rourke believe that a lot of money should be spent on the American military?
3. Why does O'Rourke fault environmentalists for making "big business" out to be the enemy?
4. How does O'Rourke feel about the Guardian Angels after his experience with them?
5. How does O'Rourke describe Blatherboro?
6. Why does O'Rourke say Americans will not find a solution to the problem of drugs in the country?
7. How does O'Rourke feel about the government's treatment of the nation's problem with drugs?
8. How does O'Rourke feel about Panama when he goes there in the wake of Operation Just Cause?
9. How does O'Rourke feel about the housing project he visits in Newark?
10. What does O'Rourke see when he spends an evening with the Washington DC police department?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does O'Rourke say the government essentially put itself into debt? How does the government spend its money, according to the author? What does O'Rourke say is the main reason the country is in debt? What techniques does the author use to express his feelings about the government's spending habits? What point is O'Rourke trying to make about the government and the citizens?
Essay Topic 2
Explore O'Rourke's hypothetical U.S. budget. What does he feel about taxes? What does he cut from the budget? What seems to be the main goal of his budget? Do you think his proposed budget is plausible? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Why does O'Rourke say that the 1991 budget caused Bush to become less popular? What were the American people hoping for with Bush? What platform did he run on? How did increased taxes tie into into his decreased popularity?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)