|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drug does O'Rourke says makes one acutely sensitive?
2. O'Rourke says that special interest sounds like something out of a cartoon by whom?
3. O'Rourke believed his town spent too little on what?
4. What Washington Square Press series does "The Negro in the City" belong to?
5. The author blames the savings and loan collapse on soaring interest rates caused by what administration?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Rourke feel about the seriousness of the problem of crack cocaine in America?
2. How does O'Rourke feel about Panama when he goes there in the wake of Operation Just Cause?
3. How does O'Rourke feel about his town government blocking the building of a golf course?
4. What does the author mean when he says that Americans live a "whiffle life"?
5. How does O'Rourke describe environmentalists?
6. Why does O'Rourke believe that a lot of money should be spent on the American military?
7. Why does O'Rourke say Americans will not find a solution to the problem of drugs in the country?
8. Why does O'Rourke seem to think his family was stronger because they were not given any help?
9. How does O'Rourke feel about the government's treatment of the nation's problem with drugs?
10. Explain how the government wastes billions of dollars on farm subsidies, according to O'Rourke.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the Supreme Court's 1990 ruling that flag burning cannot be prohibited. What is the significance of the author mentioning this ruling? Why does O'Rourke believe that the Supreme Court ruled that flag burning cannot be prohibited? What does the ruling seem to convey about how the Supreme Court works? What are O'Rourke's feelings about the Supreme Court?
Essay Topic 2
What role did the media play in George H. W. Bush's popularity? How does O'Rourke characterize the media's feelings toward Bush? How does he seem to feel about the media's treatment of Bush? What is the significance of O'Rourke including this observation in his book? What point is he trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Why does O'Rourke say that the 1991 budget caused Bush to become less popular? What were the American people hoping for with Bush? What platform did he run on? How did increased taxes tie into into his decreased popularity?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)