|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Michael Harrington book which says America had a hidden poverty?
2. What Washington Square Press series does "The Negro in the City" belong to?
3. Townsfolk from O'Rourke's town decided that any new sewer system costing more than how much had to be approved by a special town meeting?
4. What was the school drop-out rate in O'Rourke's town?
5. In what state did O'Rourke live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does O'Rourke fault environmentalists for making "big business" out to be the enemy?
2. What does O'Rourke mean when he says that Social Security is like the nation picking its own pocket?
3. Why does O'Rourke feels that Blatherboro is out of its depth when it comes to city planning?
4. Who does O'Rourke blame for the savings and loan collapse?
5. Why does O'Rourke feel that the best policy for dealing with Afghani Pathan tribesman is to just stay away from them?
6. How does O'Rourke describe the USS Mobile Bay?
7. Why does O'Rourke say Americans will not find a solution to the problem of drugs in the country?
8. Why does O'Rourke believe that a lot of money should be spent on the American military?
9. How does O'Rourke feel about the war in Afghanistan?
10. Explain how the government wastes billions of dollars on farm subsidies, according to O'Rourke.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does O'Rourke say the government essentially put itself into debt? How does the government spend its money, according to the author? What does O'Rourke say is the main reason the country is in debt? What techniques does the author use to express his feelings about the government's spending habits? What point is O'Rourke trying to make about the government and the citizens?
Essay Topic 2
What role did the media play in George H. W. Bush's popularity? How does O'Rourke characterize the media's feelings toward Bush? How does he seem to feel about the media's treatment of Bush? What is the significance of O'Rourke including this observation in his book? What point is he trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the Supreme Court's 1990 ruling that flag burning cannot be prohibited. What is the significance of the author mentioning this ruling? Why does O'Rourke believe that the Supreme Court ruled that flag burning cannot be prohibited? What does the ruling seem to convey about how the Supreme Court works? What are O'Rourke's feelings about the Supreme Court?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)