|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What branch of the military uses the USS Mobile Bay?
2. What is the name of the Michael Harrington book which says America had a hidden poverty?
3. O'Rourke visited a government-owned complex with windows made of what?
4. O'Rourke's friend's son got busted for selling what drug?
5. O'Rourke characterizes what group in Afghanistan as deceitful, violent and self-serving?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Rourke feel about the Guardian Angels after his experience with them?
2. How does O'Rourke feel about the government's treatment of the nation's problem with drugs?
3. Describe O'Rourke's experience when he joined the Guardian Angels on a drug den raid.
4. How does O'Rourke feel about the seriousness of the problem of crack cocaine in America?
5. Why does O'Rourke feel that the best policy for dealing with Afghani Pathan tribesman is to just stay away from them?
6. Why does O'Rourke seem to think his family was stronger because they were not given any help?
7. How does O'Rourke feel about claims of collateral damage during Operation Just Cause?
8. How does O'Rourke describe Blatherboro?
9. Why does O'Rourke feels that Blatherboro is out of its depth when it comes to city planning?
10. What role do special interest groups play in politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The purpose of O'Rouke's book is to criticize the U.S. government and explain the problems he sees with it. Based on the ideas he shares in the book, what would O'Rourke's ideal government look like? How would it be run? How would citizens be treated? Use examples from the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the story O'Rourke shares about shadowing a congressman on a "light" work day? What point is the author trying to make about congressmen and what is expected of them? How does O'Rourke feel about the general attitude toward congressmen? Are his feelings surprising to you? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author characterize the U.S. government? What techniques does he use to convey his feelings about the government to the reader? What does he mean when he says the government goes unchecked? Who does he think should be checking it?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)