|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What branch of the military uses the USS Mobile Bay?
2. O'Rourke argues that pollution is a byproduct of what?
3. What drug does O'Rourke says makes one acutely sensitive?
4. Who was the acting director of Public Affairs at Customs when O'Rourke's book was written?
5. How many poor people in America live in homes with a heated pool or a Jacuzzi, according to George Gilder?
Essay Topic 1
How does O'Rourke say the government essentially put itself into debt? How does the government spend its money, according to the author? What does O'Rourke say is the main reason the country is in debt? What techniques does the author use to express his feelings about the government's spending habits? What point is O'Rourke trying to make about the government and the citizens?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the title of O'Rourke's book. Who is he referring to when he speaks of the "parliament of whores"? Who are the "whores," and why does he use this word to describe this group? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explore O'Rourke's views on the two presidential conventions he visits. How does O'Rourke describe the Republican convention? How does he describe the Democratic convention? In what ways are the conventions similar? How are they different?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)