|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the presidential candidate for the Democrats when O'Rourke visited the political conventions of both parties?
2. Who was the presidential candidate for the Republicans when O'Rourke visited the political conventions of both parties?
3. How did O'Rourke describe Reagan's social programs?
4. O'Rourke recalls shadowing whom for a day?
5. How many letters from citizens does O'Rourke imagine that congressmen receive each year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Rourke suppose that most Americans feel about the United States government?
2. What does O'Rourke think about the modern high school civics text book?
3. Describe O'Rourke's experience with the Young Americans Ball.
4. What did a study show about the Audi 500 and its supposed runaway car syndrome?
5. Why does O'Rourke say that George H. W. Bush's popularity plummeted?
6. Describe the world O'Rourke envisions when he points out the flaws of the "majority rules" system.
7. From O'Rourke's description, what does a congressman's job entail?
8. How does O'Rourke feel about George H. W. Bush's 1991 budget?
9. How does O'Rourke describe the partnership between Dukakis and Bentson?
10. How does O'Rourke describe one-minute speeches?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore O'Rourke's views on the two presidential conventions he visits. How does O'Rourke describe the Republican convention? How does he describe the Democratic convention? In what ways are the conventions similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
What role did the media play in George H. W. Bush's popularity? How does O'Rourke characterize the media's feelings toward Bush? How does he seem to feel about the media's treatment of Bush? What is the significance of O'Rourke including this observation in his book? What point is he trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Explore O'Rourke's hypothetical U.S. budget. What does he feel about taxes? What does he cut from the budget? What seems to be the main goal of his budget? Do you think his proposed budget is plausible? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)