|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what state was Dukakis governor in 1988?
2. What was the name of the prophet who warned against a king that would take a 10th of his people's sheep?
3. How does O'Rourke describe a day when Congress is not even in session?
4. O'Rourke points out that the manual for what automobile is 4 times as long as the U.S. Constitution?
5. According to a study by a foundation, what percent of Americans did not know what party Llotd Bentsen was affiliated with during an election?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the world O'Rourke envisions when he points out the flaws of the "majority rules" system.
2. To what does O'Rourke attribute the problem of the national deficit?
3. Why does O'Rourke seem to believe that being a congressman is a thankless job?
4. How does O'Rourke feel about George H. W. Bush's 1991 budget?
5. Describe O'Rourke's experience with the Young Americans Ball.
6. How does O'Rourke feel about the Democratic speeches given during a visit to the House of Representatives?
7. How does O'Rourke describe the partnership between Dukakis and Bentson?
8. How does O'Rourke feel about the concept of political conventions?
9. How does O'Rourke feel that the American political system is like a Mexican Christmas fiesta?
10. What examples does O'Rourke give to say that America's government now embodies the same tyrannical bent that compelled the American colonies to secede from England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore O'Rourke's story concerning runaway car syndrome and the hype around it. What does runaway car syndrome have to do with bureaucracy? How do instances like runaway car syndrome seem to fuel increased bureaucracy? How does O'Rourke seem to feel about increased bureaucracy in the U.S. government? What techniques does the author use to convey these feelings?
Essay Topic 2
What role did the media play in George H. W. Bush's popularity? How does O'Rourke characterize the media's feelings toward Bush? How does he seem to feel about the media's treatment of Bush? What is the significance of O'Rourke including this observation in his book? What point is he trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the Supreme Court's 1990 ruling that flag burning cannot be prohibited. What is the significance of the author mentioning this ruling? Why does O'Rourke believe that the Supreme Court ruled that flag burning cannot be prohibited? What does the ruling seem to convey about how the Supreme Court works? What are O'Rourke's feelings about the Supreme Court?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)