|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. O' Rourke compares the president's decision-making ability to that of a child of what age?
2. What are the speeches called that O'Rourke heard when he visited the House of Representatives?
3. What ball did O'Rourke peek in on where he saw boogying and people playing the electric guitar?
4. For which presidential candidate did Lloyd Bentsen run as vice president?
5. In what year did a flag desecration case take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Rourke feel about Jesse Jackson's speech, which he watched from his hotel room?
2. How does O'Rourke describe the partnership between Dukakis and Bentson?
3. How does O'Rourke feel about the Democratic speeches given during a visit to the House of Representatives?
4. How does O'Rourke depict Washington journalists?
5. How does O'Rourke feel about George H. W. Bush's rise to fame?
6. How does O'Rourke describe the day he shadowed a congressman?
7. Describe O'Rourke's experience with the Young Americans Ball.
8. Who does O'Rourke blame for the perceived poor state of the nation, and who does he let off the hook?
9. How does O'Rourke describe one-minute speeches?
10. What does O'Rourke say is the best way to truly understand the function of government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the significance of Jesse Jackson. What characteristics did O'Rourke see in Jackson that he was impressed by? What techniques does the author use to show that he is impressed by Jackson? Why does the author mention Jackson? What is he trying to say about him and about politicians in general?
Essay Topic 2
What techniques does the author use to offer up his metaphor of the government's similarities to King George III? What are some of the examples he gives to support his claims? What does he say the founding fathers disagreed with King George III about?
Essay Topic 3
What role did the media play in George H. W. Bush's popularity? How does O'Rourke characterize the media's feelings toward Bush? How does he seem to feel about the media's treatment of Bush? What is the significance of O'Rourke including this observation in his book? What point is he trying to make?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)