|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author blames the savings and loan collapse on soaring interest rates caused by what administration?
2. People from O'Rourke's town attempted to block the completion of what?
(a) A liquor store.
(b) A local golf course.
(c) A movie theater.
(d) An apartment complex.
3. Who was the acting director of Public Affairs at Customs when O'Rourke's book was written?
(a) Albert Collins.
(b) Mario Perez.
(c) Mike Mullin.
(d) Dick Weart.
4. Why do retirees move to the state where O'Rourke lives?
(a) For its beaches.
(b) For its amusement parks.
(c) For its tax policy.
(d) For its golf courses.
5. What is the common enemy that environmentalists have, according to the author?
(a) Waste management companies.
(d) Big business.
Short Answer Questions
1. O'Rourke concludes that, in a democracy, the whores are whom?
2. What drug does O'Rourke say made kids psychotic?
3. Who is the author of a book about the failure of poverty programs called "Losing Ground"?
4. What is the name of the alliance that O'Rourke traveled into poverty stricken areas with?
5. O'Rourke characterizes what group in Afghanistan as deceitful, violent and self-serving?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Blatherboro block the completion of a local golf course?
2. Describe O'Rourke's experience when he joined the Guardian Angels on a drug den raid.
3. How does O'Rourke feel about the Guardian Angels after his experience with them?
4. What role do special interest groups play in politics?
5. Why does O'Rourke feel that the best policy for dealing with Afghani Pathan tribesman is to just stay away from them?
6. Why does O'Rourke say that Blatherboro suffers from stupidity?
7. What does the author mean when he says that Americans live a "whiffle life"?
8. How does O'Rourke feel about the government's treatment of the nation's problem with drugs?
9. Why does O'Rourke say Americans will not find a solution to the problem of drugs in the country?
10. How does O'Rourke describe environmentalists?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)