|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tax did the natives of O'Rourke's town fear that the retirees would inflate?
(a) Property tax.
(b) Hotel tax.
(c) Sales tax.
(d) Food tax.
2. In a disclaimer to the section, "Defense Policy: Cry 'Havoc!' and Let Slip the Hogs of Peace," O'Rourke says he now feels that what war may prove profitable?
(a) The Gulf War.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The Vietnam War.
(d) The Cold War.
3. O'Rourke accuses ecological activists of ignoring what?
(c) The government.
(d) Real environmental problems.
4. O'Rourke concludes that, in a democracy, the whores are whom?
(a) The politicians.
(b) Special interest groups.
(c) Big businesses.
(d) The citizens.
5. O'Rourke attended a housing rally that took place where?
(a) Washington, DC.
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. O'Rourke mocked college bohos at the housing rally who were dressed in what color?
2. How much was the bailout of the savings-and-loan industry?
3. At the town meeting which O'Rourke attended, the town natives sat where?
4. On what day did O'Rourke attend a housing rally?
5. How did O'Rourke feel about the USS Mobile Bay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the government wastes billions of dollars on farm subsidies, according to O'Rourke.
2. How does O'Rourke feel about the seriousness of the problem of crack cocaine in America?
3. What does the author mean when he says that Americans live a "whiffle life"?
4. How does O'Rourke feel about American poverty at the beginning of "Poverty Policy: How to Endow Privation"?
5. How does O'Rourke feel about Social Security after visiting the AARP?
6. How does O'Rourke describe Blatherboro?
7. What role do special interest groups play in politics?
8. How does O'Rourke describe environmentalists?
9. How does O'Rourke feel about his town government blocking the building of a golf course?
10. Why does O'Rourke seem to think his family was stronger because they were not given any help?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)