|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many poor people does O'Rourke say ask him for money on his way to work every day?
(a) 6.8 million.
(b) 1.9 million.
(c) 3.4 million.
(d) 2.3 million.
2. O'Rourke is critical of the way that America hands over food, aid and arms to what country?
3. People from O'Rourke's town attempted to block the completion of what?
(a) A local golf course.
(b) A movie theater.
(c) A liquor store.
(d) An apartment complex.
4. O'Rourke believed his town spent too little on what?
(a) Renovating old buildings.
(b) The fire department.
(c) Road improvements.
(d) Law enforcement.
5. O'Rourke recalls spending an evening in what police department?
(a) The Los Angeles police department.
(b) The Atlanta police department.
(c) The Washington, DC police department.
(d) The New York police department.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Washington Square Press series does "The Negro in the City" belong to?
2. How many ninth graders were at the high school in O'Rourke's town?
3. What is the name of the psychiatric professor that O'Rourke talked to about the crack cocaine problem?
4. What does O'Rourke say is the ultimate special interest group?
5. O'Rourke claims that Social Security serves only to pad the bank accounts of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author mean when he says that Americans live a "whiffle life"?
2. Why does O'Rourke feel that the best policy for dealing with Afghani Pathan tribesman is to just stay away from them?
3. Why does O'Rourke fault environmentalists for making "big business" out to be the enemy?
4. Why does O'Rourke seem to think his family was stronger because they were not given any help?
5. How does O'Rourke feel about the housing project he visits in Newark?
6. How does O'Rourke feel about American poverty at the beginning of "Poverty Policy: How to Endow Privation"?
7. How did Blatherboro block the completion of a local golf course?
8. How does O'Rourke feel about claims of collateral damage during Operation Just Cause?
9. How does O'Rourke feel about Panama when he goes there in the wake of Operation Just Cause?
10. What does O'Rourke mean when he says that Social Security is like the nation picking its own pocket?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)