|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the solicitor general during a flag desecration case?
(a) Thurgood Marshall.
(b) Charles Fried.
(c) Kenneth Starr.
(d) Rex E. Lee.
2. How many letters to a congressman did O'Rourke read before finding a thank-you letter?
3. How long did Jesse Jackson propose to freeze military spending?
(a) Five years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
4. Seeing the strange collection of tourists, journalists, and protesters, O'Rourke contemplated that Washington really needs what?
(a) A security system.
(b) A dress code.
(c) A bouncer.
(d) Better education.
5. O'Rourke comes to the conclusion that the president's role in government is largely symbolic after referring to a presidential agenda from what day?
(a) May 13, 1991.
(b) July 25, 1990.
(c) April 4, 1989.
(d) December 31, 1988.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who equated a belief in government to the "vapid" peace of mind experienced by church goers?
2. O'Rourke points out that the manual for what automobile is 4 times as long as the U.S. Constitution?
3. In what year was a government study released on "runaway car syndrome" in an Audi model?
4. What was Dukakis' wife named?
5. According to a study by a foundation, what percent of Americans did not know what party Llotd Bentsen was affiliated with during an election?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Rourke depict Washington journalists?
2. How does O'Rourke describe the Republican and Democratic platforms during the 1988 elections?
3. What did a study show about the Audi 500 and its supposed runaway car syndrome?
4. How does O'Rourke explain what the Democrats and Republicans believe in?
5. What does O'Rourke say is the best way to truly understand the function of government?
6. Describe O'Rourke's experience with the Young Americans Ball.
7. How does O'Rourke describe one-minute speeches?
8. Why does O'Rourke believe that the United States government remains unchecked?
9. To what does O'Rourke attribute the problem of the national deficit?
10. How does O'Rourke feel about Jesse Jackson's speech, which he watched from his hotel room?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)