|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does O'Rourke say the venue where the Democratic convention was held is shaped like?
(a) A coffin.
(b) A toilet.
(c) A horse.
(d) A morgue.
2. O'Rourke says the Republican convention had the intellectual content of song lyrics by what band?
(a) Van Halen.
(b) White Snake.
(c) Guns n' Roses.
3. O'Rourke joked that George H. W. Bush donned a costume and went by what name?
(b) Mr. Texas.
(d) The Conservanator.
4. What nickname did O'Rourke give to the generation that was attending high school when his book was written?
(a) The "Home Alone" generation.
(b) The Pizza Hut generation.
(c) The Coca-Cola generation.
(d) The "Sesame Street" generation.
5. What is the name of the textbook that O'Rourke criticized for being boring?
(a) "American Civics."
(b) "The United States and You."
(c) "The House and the Whip."
(d) "American Government."
Short Answer Questions
1. O'Rourke recalls shadowing whom for a day?
2. O' Rourke compares the president's decision-making ability to that of a child of what age?
3. During the convention, O'Rourke says both Democrats and Republicans act like mindless fans of what?
4. In what year did a flag desecration case take place?
5. How many letters to a congressman did O'Rourke read before finding a thank-you letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did O'Rourke learn from an anonymous functionary at the Department of Transportation?
2. Why does O'Rourke seem to believe that being a congressman is a thankless job?
3. Describe the world O'Rourke envisions when he points out the flaws of the "majority rules" system.
4. How does O'Rourke suppose that most Americans feel about the United States government?
5. Describe O'Rourke's experience with the Young Americans Ball.
6. How does O'Rourke feel that the American political system is like a Mexican Christmas fiesta?
7. How does O'Rourke feel about George H. W. Bush's rise to fame?
8. How does O'Rourke describe the Republican and Democratic platforms during the 1988 elections?
9. How does O'Rourke feel about George H. W. Bush's 1991 budget?
10. What examples does O'Rourke give to say that America's government now embodies the same tyrannical bent that compelled the American colonies to secede from England?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)