|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does O'Rourke believe increases bureaucracy by forcing the government to address people's frivolous complaints?
(a) Consumer advocates.
(b) Advertising agencies.
(c) Print media.
(d) Angry parents.
2. What brand of beer does O'Rourke mention when saying that "runaway car syndrome" is the result of drinking while driving?
3. O'Rourke visited the Department of Transportation and was surprised to discover that many of the workers were fans of what?
(a) The Rolling Stones.
(b) Video games.
(d) "Star Wars."
4. Who was the director of the Office of Management and Budget at the time George H. W. Bush's 1991 budget was completed?
(a) Franklin D. Raines.
(b) Richard Darman.
(c) Alice M. Rivlin.
(d) Peter Orszag.
5. How many letters to a congressman did O'Rourke read before finding a thank-you letter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did O'Rourke credit with George H. W. Bush's meteoric rise to popularity?
2. What city does O'Rourke describe as having a climate like the inside of a locked van in the Sahara?
3. O'Rourke begins "Protectors of a Blameless Citizenry: The Bureaucracy" by talking about what government department?
4. What king did O'Rourke compare the U.S. government to?
5. On what day was George H. W. Bush's 1991 budget finally "hammered out"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Rourke describe the Republican and Democratic platforms during the 1988 elections?
2. What did a study show about the Audi 500 and its supposed runaway car syndrome?
3. How does O'Rourke feel that the American political system is like a Mexican Christmas fiesta?
4. Describe the world O'Rourke envisions when he points out the flaws of the "majority rules" system.
5. Who does O'Rourke blame for the perceived poor state of the nation, and who does he let off the hook?
6. How does O'Rourke describe the partnership between Dukakis and Bentson?
7. How does O'Rourke feel that consumer advocates compel increased bureaucracy?
8. How does O'Rourke describe the Democratic National Convention?
9. How does O'Rourke feel about Jesse Jackson's speech, which he watched from his hotel room?
10. How does O'Rourke suppose that most Americans feel about the United States government?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)