|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told the Atlanta convention that the Democratic party "needs both its left wing and its right wing to fly"?
(a) Jesse Jackson.
(b) Bill Clinton.
(c) George H. W. Bush.
(d) Michael Dukakis.
2. O'Rourke began the sub-section "Attack of the Midget Vote-suckers" by comparing conventions to what?
(b) High school reunions.
(d) Cheerleading competitions.
3. What amendment is in question as to whether or not it allows flag burning in protest?
4. George H. W. Bush ran his presidential campaign on the idea that he would be a second helping of whom?
(a) Jimmy Carter.
(b) Ronald Reagan.
(c) Richard Nixon.
(d) Gerald Ford.
5. In "Only Human in His Own Immortal Way: The President," O'Rourke mocks what Act?
(a) Americans with Disabilities Act.
(b) Civil Rights Act.
(c) Patriot Act.
(d) Information Technology Act.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did O'Rourke describe Reagan's social programs?
2. What political party did Lloyd Bentsen belong to?
3. O'Rourke begins "Protectors of a Blameless Citizenry: The Bureaucracy" by talking about what government department?
4. For how long has an agency had to deal with "runaway car syndrome"?
5. When O'Rourke paints a cynical picture of the concept of "majority rule," what does he say will be the only thing on the shelves at libraries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the world O'Rourke envisions when he points out the flaws of the "majority rules" system.
2. How does O'Rourke describe the Democratic National Convention?
3. How does O'Rourke describe the Republican and Democratic platforms during the 1988 elections?
4. From O'Rourke's description, what does a congressman's job entail?
5. Why does O'Rourke seem to believe that being a congressman is a thankless job?
6. How does O'Rourke explain what the Democrats and Republicans believe in?
7. How does O'Rourke feel about George H. W. Bush's 1991 budget?
8. What problems does O'Rourke see with the U.S. Constitution?
9. What does O'Rourke think about the modern high school civics text book?
10. Who does O'Rourke blame for the perceived poor state of the nation, and who does he let off the hook?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)