|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brand of beer does O'Rourke mention when saying that "runaway car syndrome" is the result of drinking while driving?
2. Who is the author of "The Power Game: How Washington Works"?
(a) Hedrick Smith.
(b) Christopher Cav.
(c) Jeffrey Simpson.
(d) Jason Watson.
3. O'Rourke jokingly compared the political conventions to a special-occasion event, with whom in the broadcast booth?
(a) Matt Lauer.
(b) Katie Couric.
(c) Kathy Lee Gifford.
(d) Bryant Gumbel.
4. When O'Rourke paints a cynical picture of the concept of "majority rule," what does he say that all pants will be made of?
5. Who was the presidential candidate for the Republicans when O'Rourke visited the political conventions of both parties?
Short Answer Questions
1. O'Rourke begins "Protectors of a Blameless Citizenry: The Bureaucracy" by talking about what government department?
2. Who did O'Rourke blame for the poor state of the nation?
3. O'Rourke says the Republican convention had the intellectual content of song lyrics by what band?
4. O'Rourke recalls shadowing whom for a day?
5. What political party did Lloyd Bentsen belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Rourke describe the Republican and Democratic platforms during the 1988 elections?
2. How does O'Rourke feel about George H. W. Bush's rise to fame?
3. How does O'Rourke feel about Jesse Jackson's speech, which he watched from his hotel room?
4. Why does O'Rourke believe that the United States government remains unchecked?
5. How does O'Rourke describe the day he shadowed a congressman?
6. Who does O'Rourke blame for the perceived poor state of the nation, and who does he let off the hook?
7. What does O'Rourke think about the modern high school civics text book?
8. How does O'Rourke feel about George H. W. Bush's 1991 budget?
9. What does O'Rourke say is the best way to truly understand the function of government?
10. How does O'Rourke feel that the American political system is like a Mexican Christmas fiesta?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)