|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the group of journalists who ask questions and take photos at the White House?
(a) White House Press Group.
(b) White House Press Club.
(c) White House Press Corps.
(d) White House Press Association.
2. Who was the solicitor general during a flag desecration case?
(a) Thurgood Marshall.
(b) Rex E. Lee.
(c) Kenneth Starr.
(d) Charles Fried.
3. For which presidential candidate did Lloyd Bentsen run as vice president?
4. Who was the presidential candidate for the Republicans when O'Rourke visited the political conventions of both parties?
5. For what state was Dukakis governor in 1988?
Short Answer Questions
1. When O'Rourke paints a cynical picture of the concept of "majority rule," what does he say that every meal will be?
2. What does O'Rourke say the venue where the Democratic convention was held is shaped like?
3. Who told the Atlanta convention that the Democratic party "needs both its left wing and its right wing to fly"?
4. What Audi model does O'Rourke say was deemed unsafe because of "runaway car syndrome"?
5. O'Rourke begins "Protectors of a Blameless Citizenry: The Bureaucracy" by talking about what government department?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does O'Rourke believe that the United States government remains unchecked?
2. What problems does O'Rourke see with the U.S. Constitution?
3. From O'Rourke's description, what does a congressman's job entail?
4. What does O'Rourke say is the best way to truly understand the function of government?
5. What did Ted Kennedy mean when he said "Where was George?"
6. What did O'Rourke learn from an anonymous functionary at the Department of Transportation?
7. How does O'Rourke describe one-minute speeches?
8. What does O'Rourke think about the modern high school civics text book?
9. How does O'Rourke feel about George H. W. Bush's rise to fame?
10. Why does O'Rourke say that George H. W. Bush's popularity plummeted?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)