|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said, "What we want from the taxpayers is continual cooperation!" in regard to America's drug problem?
(a) Mario Perez.
(b) Albert Collins.
(c) Dick Weart.
(d) Mike Mullin.
2. What is the name of the Colonel who O'Rourke met while he was observing Operation Just Cause?
(a) Alex Wulpi.
(b) Jon Elrod.
(c) Drew Dotson.
(d) Mike Snell.
3. O'Rourke considers what war to be a rare success for U.S. foreign policy?
(a) The war in Afghanistan.
(b) The war in Korea.
(c) The war in Vietnam.
(d) The war in Japan.
4. What is the name of the psychiatric professor that O'Rourke talked to about the crack cocaine problem?
(a) Marc Galanter.
(b) Robin Reeder.
(c) John Haggerty.
(d) Sue Warren.
5. How many poor people does O'Rourke say live in the U.S.?
(a) 12.4 million.
(b) 24.2 million.
(c) 45 million.
(d) 32.5 million.
6. What kind of life does O'Rourke say Americans lead?
(a) A spoiled life.
(b) A complex life.
(c) A sad life.
(d) A whiffle life.
7. What was the deadline for the last Soviet troops to be withdrawn from Afghanistan?
(a) January, 2 1989.
(b) February 15, 1989.
(c) December 27, 1988.
(d) March 12, 1989.
8. What was the school drop-out rate in O'Rourke's town?
(a) 42 percent.
(b) 11 percent.
(c) 36 percent.
(d) 23 percent.
9. What country did O'Rourke visit in the wake of Operation Just Cause?
10. Who is the author of a book about the failure of poverty programs called "Losing Ground"?
(a) Yolanda Harrison.
(b) Charles Murray.
(c) Denise Adams.
(d) Boyd Hobbs.
11. Townsfolk from O'Rourke's town decided that any new sewer system costing more than how much had to be approved by a special town meeting?
12. O'Rourke visited a filthy, smelly, government-subsidized apartment complex in what city?
13. What is the name of the Michael Harrington book which says America had a hidden poverty?
(a) "The Other America."
(b) "America on the Outs."
(c) "The Other Side."
(d) "My America."
14. What was O'Rourke's family's socioeconomic status when he was a child?
(a) O'Rourke grew up in a middle-class family.
(b) O'Rourke grew up in a poor family.
(c) O'Rourke grew up in a very wealthy family.
(d) O'Rourke grew up in poverty and lived in government housing.
15. O'Rourke says using crack cocaine makes one feel like whom?
(a) Arnold Schwarzenegger.
(c) Bruce Willis.
(d) Bret Michaels.
Short Answer Questions
1. O'Rourke's wife asked him about a hurricane that hit what state?
2. What is the name of the hurricane that O'Rourke's wife asked him about?
3. The author blames the savings and loan collapse on soaring interest rates caused by what administration?
4. How many poor people in America live in homes with a heated pool or a Jacuzzi, according to George Gilder?
5. O'Rourke concludes that, because government can stifle the free market, government is what?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)