|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many poor people in America live in homes with a heated pool or a Jacuzzi, according to George Gilder?
2. Why do retirees move to the state where O'Rourke lives?
(a) For its golf courses.
(b) For its tax policy.
(c) For its beaches.
(d) For its amusement parks.
3. How did O'Rourke feel about the USS Mobile Bay?
(a) He saw it as a terrible move for foreign policy.
(b) He thought it was a great investment by the government.
(c) He thought it was a waste of government money.
(d) He was unimpressed.
4. O'Rourke says a cheap alternative to fix the failing school system could involve sending the children to what kind of school?
5. Who wrote the pamphlet called "'The Poor among Us--Challenge and Opportunity"?
(a) Stewart Matthews.
(b) Stuart Marx.
(c) Max Stephens.
(d) Maxwell Stewart.
6. In what state did O'Rourke live?
(a) New Hampshire.
(c) New York.
7. The annual spending per student in O'Rourke's town is over how much?
8. O'Rourke visits Afghanistan to cover the expected fall of what city?
(a) Mazar-e Sharif.
9. O'Rourke argues that pollution is a byproduct of what?
10. What is the name of the Michael Harrington book which says America had a hidden poverty?
(a) "The Other America."
(b) "The Other Side."
(c) "My America."
(d) "America on the Outs."
11. Who was the acting director of Public Affairs at Customs when O'Rourke's book was written?
(a) Albert Collins.
(b) Mario Perez.
(c) Dick Weart.
(d) Mike Mullin.
12. People from O'Rourke's town attempted to block the completion of what?
(a) A local golf course.
(b) An apartment complex.
(c) A liquor store.
(d) A movie theater.
13. O'Rourke concludes that, in a democracy, the whores are whom?
(a) The citizens.
(b) Big businesses.
(c) The politicians.
(d) Special interest groups.
14. O'Rourke attended a housing rally for what group?
(a) Housing for All!
(b) Housing Now!
(c) Housing Needs!
(d) We Want Housing!
15. O'Rourke argues against military cuts by talking about the happiness that every male feels when he has what in his hand?
(a) His wife's hand.
(b) A paycheck.
(c) A gun.
(d) His country's flag.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was George H. W. Bush's first Drug Czar?
2. O'Rourke visited a filthy, smelly, government-subsidized apartment complex in what city?
3. In what year did the government begin formulating agricultural policy?
4. What was the deadline for the last Soviet troops to be withdrawn from Afghanistan?
5. Townsfolk from O'Rourke's town decided that any new sewer system costing more than how much had to be approved by a special town meeting?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)