|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country did O'Rourke visit in the wake of Operation Just Cause?
2. Who said, "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die"?
(a) Mario Perez.
(b) Albert Collins.
(c) Dick Weart.
(d) Mike Mullin.
3. In what state did O'Rourke live?
(a) New Hampshire.
(c) New York.
4. O'Rourke believed his town spent too much on what?
(a) Law enforcement.
(b) Renovating old buildings.
(c) The fire department.
(d) Road improvements.
5. Who is the author of a book about the failure of poverty programs called "Losing Ground"?
(a) Denise Adams.
(b) Yolanda Harrison.
(c) Charles Murray.
(d) Boyd Hobbs.
6. What percent of poor people in America own their own homes, according to George Gilder?
(a) 40 percent.
(b) 50 percent.
(c) 5 percent.
(d) 20 percent.
7. In what year did the government begin formulating agricultural policy?
8. Soldiers told about fighting in Panama in what magazine?
(a) "Army of One."
(b) "Military Monthly."
(d) "Army Today."
9. What is the name of the Michael Harrington book which says America had a hidden poverty?
(a) "The Other America."
(b) "My America."
(c) "America on the Outs."
(d) "The Other Side."
10. What was the school drop-out rate in O'Rourke's town?
(a) 23 percent.
(b) 11 percent.
(c) 42 percent.
(d) 36 percent.
11. O'Rourke mocked college bohos at the housing rally who were dressed in what color?
12. At the town meeting which O'Rourke attended, the town natives sat where?
(a) The back row.
(b) The two middle rows.
(c) Scattered throughout the rows.
(d) The front row.
13. At the town meeting which O'Rourke attended, the elderly retired people sat where?
(a) In the back row.
(b) Scattered throughout the rows.
(c) They sit closest to the exit.
(d) In the front row.
14. What Washington Square Press series does "The Negro in the City" belong to?
(a) "Problems of American Society."
(b) "Problems with America's Suburbs."
(c) "Difficulties in America."
(d) "The Difficulties of Living in America."
15. O'Rourke concludes that, because government can stifle the free market, government is what?
(c) All powerful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said, "What we want from the taxpayers is continual cooperation!" in regard to America's drug problem?
2. O'Rourke considers what war to be a rare success for U.S. foreign policy?
3. O'Rourke's friend's son got busted for selling what drug?
4. O'Rourke argues that pollution is a byproduct of what?
5. How much money does O'Rourke believe the government wastes on farm subsidies?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)