|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said, "What we want from the taxpayers is continual cooperation!" in regard to America's drug problem?
(a) Mike Mullin.
(b) Mario Perez.
(c) Albert Collins.
(d) Dick Weart.
2. O'Rourke says a cheap alternative to fix the failing school system could involve sending the children to what kind of school?
3. How does O'Rourke feel when he walks through a crowded, third-world bazaar in Afghanistan and sees the free market in action?
4. What is the "largest part" of the USS Mobile Bay, according to the author?
5. O'Rourke argues that modern, poor Americans earn greater income than the middle-class Americans of what year?
6. Who wrote the pamphlet called "'The Poor among Us--Challenge and Opportunity"?
(a) Maxwell Stewart.
(b) Stuart Marx.
(c) Stewart Matthews.
(d) Max Stephens.
7. O'Rourke says the hysteria over drugs in the middle class could be the product of what?
(d) A corrupt prison system.
8. O'Rourke is critical of the way that America hands over food, aid and arms to what country?
9. What was the school drop-out rate in O'Rourke's town?
(a) 36 percent.
(b) 11 percent.
(c) 23 percent.
(d) 42 percent.
10. How many ninth graders were at the high school in O'Rourke's town?
11. What is the name of the alliance that O'Rourke traveled into poverty stricken areas with?
(a) Times Square.
(c) Phoenix House.
(d) Guardian Angels.
12. What is the name of the psychiatric professor that O'Rourke talked to about the crack cocaine problem?
(a) John Haggerty.
(b) Marc Galanter.
(c) Robin Reeder.
(d) Sue Warren.
13. O'Rourke argues that pollution is a byproduct of what?
14. How much was the bailout of the savings-and-loan industry?
(a) $500 billion.
(b) $10 billion.
(c) $100 billion.
(d) $500 million.
15. O'Rourke claims that Social Security serves only to pad the bank accounts of whom?
(b) Senior citizens.
(d) The wealthiest Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. O'Rourke visited a filthy, smelly, government-subsidized apartment complex in what city?
2. What is the name of the Michael Harrington book which says America had a hidden poverty?
3. O'Rourke believed his town spent too much on what?
4. What drug does O'Rourke say made kids psychotic?
5. Who said, "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die"?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)