|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. O'Rourke believed his town spent too little on what?
(a) Renovating old buildings.
(b) Road improvements.
(c) The fire department.
(d) Law enforcement.
2. How much was the bailout of the savings-and-loan industry?
(a) $100 billion.
(b) $500 billion.
(c) $500 million.
(d) $10 billion.
3. How many poor people does O'Rourke say live in the U.S.?
(a) 45 million.
(b) 24.2 million.
(c) 32.5 million.
(d) 12.4 million.
4. O'Rourke characterizes what group in Afghanistan as deceitful, violent and self-serving?
(a) The Taliban.
(c) The Afghan National Army.
(d) The Mujahedeen.
5. What was the school drop-out rate in O'Rourke's town?
(a) 23 percent.
(b) 11 percent.
(c) 36 percent.
(d) 42 percent.
6. O'Rourke is critical of the way that America hands over food, aid and arms to what country?
7. In "Defense Policy: Cry 'Havoc!' and "Let Slip the Hogs of Peace," O'Rourke worried that what country still posed a threat and might be waiting for America to fall beneath the weight of its own dissent?
8. O'Rourke believed his town spent too much on what?
(a) Road improvements.
(b) The fire department.
(c) Renovating old buildings.
(d) Law enforcement.
9. How did O'Rourke feel about the USS Mobile Bay?
(a) He saw it as a terrible move for foreign policy.
(b) He was unimpressed.
(c) He thought it was a waste of government money.
(d) He thought it was a great investment by the government.
10. Who is the author of a book about the failure of poverty programs called "Losing Ground"?
(a) Denise Adams.
(b) Charles Murray.
(c) Boyd Hobbs.
(d) Yolanda Harrison.
11. How many poor people does O'Rourke say ask him for money on his way to work every day?
(a) 2.3 million.
(b) 1.9 million.
(c) 6.8 million.
(d) 3.4 million.
12. Soldiers told about fighting in Panama in what magazine?
(b) "Army Today."
(c) "Military Monthly."
(d) "Army of One."
13. At the town meeting which O'Rourke attended, the elderly retired people sat where?
(a) Scattered throughout the rows.
(b) In the front row.
(c) In the back row.
(d) They sit closest to the exit.
14. What kind of life does O'Rourke say Americans lead?
(a) A complex life.
(b) A sad life.
(c) A whiffle life.
(d) A spoiled life.
15. What is the name of the Michael Harrington book which says America had a hidden poverty?
(a) "My America."
(b) "America on the Outs."
(c) "The Other Side."
(d) "The Other America."
Short Answer Questions
1. What percent of poor people in America own their own homes, according to George Gilder?
2. O'Rourke argues that modern, poor Americans earn greater income than the middle-class Americans of what year?
3. O'Rourke says the hysteria over drugs in the middle class could be the product of what?
4. What is the USS Mobile Bay?
5. O'Rourke says that because America is the richest nation on Earth, he is surprised to still what on the street?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)