|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what state was Dukakis governor in 1988?
2. What brand of beer does O'Rourke mention when saying that "runaway car syndrome" is the result of drinking while driving?
3. How many letters from citizens does O'Rourke imagine that congressmen receive each year?
(a) A few thousand.
(b) Hundreds of thousands.
(c) More than one million.
(d) Tens of thousands.
4. Who did O'Rourke blame for the poor state of the nation?
(a) The Middle East.
(b) The politicians.
(c) The American people.
(d) The media.
5. Who does O'Rourke believe increases bureaucracy by forcing the government to address people's frivolous complaints?
(a) Angry parents.
(b) Consumer advocates.
(c) Advertising agencies.
(d) Print media.
6. Who does O'Rourke say has more respect for their electorates than the American parties?
(a) The Soviet Communists.
(b) The Saudi Arabian absolute monarchy.
(c) The Iranian republic.
(d) The Canadian constitutional monarchy.
7. In what year was a government study released on "runaway car syndrome" in an Audi model?
8. O'Rourke visited the Department of Transportation and was surprised to discover that many of the workers were fans of what?
(a) The Rolling Stones.
(c) "Star Wars."
(d) Video games.
9. How long did Jesse Jackson propose to freeze military spending?
(a) Four years.
(b) One year.
(c) Five years.
(d) Two years.
10. In what year did a flag desecration case take place?
11. Who has a reputation as being the unofficial fourth branch of government?
(a) The Green party.
(b) The media.
(c) The residents of Washington, D.C.
(d) The American people.
12. O' Rourke compares the president's decision-making ability to that of a child of what age?
13. What does O'Rourke describe as an organism whose sole purpose is to aggrandize those in power?
(a) The election process.
(b) The White House.
(c) The American government.
(d) The media.
14. Who was the keynote speaker at the 1988 Democratic convention?
(a) Ted Kennedy.
(b) Jim Hightower.
(c) Ann Richards.
(d) Bill Clinton.
15. What is the name of the group of journalists who ask questions and take photos at the White House?
(a) White House Press Club.
(b) White House Press Corps.
(c) White House Press Association.
(d) White House Press Group.
Short Answer Questions
1. When O'Rourke paints a cynical picture of the concept of "majority rule," what does he say that all pants will be made of?
2. What ball did O'Rourke peek in on where he saw boogying and people playing the electric guitar?
3. What is the name of the agency that dealt with an outbreak of "runaway car syndrome"?
4. What party game does O'Rourke liken the American political system to?
5. According to a study by a foundation, what percent of Americans did not know what party Llotd Bentsen was affiliated with during an election?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)