|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the textbook that O'Rourke criticized for being boring?
(a) "American Government."
(b) "The United States and You."
(c) "The House and the Whip."
(d) "American Civics."
2. How long did Jesse Jackson propose to freeze military spending?
(a) Five years.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Four years.
3. "Runaway car syndrome" is a situation where a vehicle spontaneously does what?
(a) Fluctuates in speed independently of the driver's will.
(b) Accelerates independently of the driver's will.
(c) Stops independently of the driver's will.
(d) Fails to register as having a valid VIN number.
4. Which of the Amendments to the U.S. Constitution deals with the right to "keep and bear arms"?
(a) The 14th.
(b) The 3rd.
(c) The 2nd.
(d) The 9th.
5. What platform did O'Rourke say the Republicans ran on in 1988?
(a) The Over-Protective-Brother platform.
(b) The Dumb-Old-Dad platform.
(c) The Strict-Mom platform.
(d) The Sweet-Little-Sister platform.
6. For which presidential candidate did Lloyd Bentsen run as vice president?
7. What exists in a state of perpetual failure because motion is valued above direction and achievement?
(a) The Democratic party.
(c) Social security.
(d) The Republican party.
8. On what day was a government study released on "runaway car syndrome"?
(a) May 22.
(b) April 16.
(c) June 2.
(d) March 7.
9. When O'Rourke paints a cynical picture of the concept of "majority rule," who does he say that all people will be married to?
(a) Mel Gibson.
(b) Bruce Willis.
(c) Brad Pitt.
(d) Robert Redford.
10. Who was the presidential candidate for the Democrats when O'Rourke visited the political conventions of both parties?
11. How does O'Rourke describe a day when Congress is not even in session?
12. How many letters to a congressman did O'Rourke read before finding a thank-you letter?
13. Who has a reputation as being the unofficial fourth branch of government?
(a) The media.
(b) The residents of Washington, D.C.
(c) The American people.
(d) The Green party.
14. When all the delegates from both political parties get together, O'Rourke says they act like what club members?
15. For what state was Dukakis governor in 1988?
Short Answer Questions
1. O' Rourke compares the president's decision-making ability to that of a child of what age?
2. What does O'Rourke describe as an organism whose sole purpose is to aggrandize those in power?
3. Seeing the strange collection of tourists, journalists, and protesters, O'Rourke contemplated that Washington really needs what?
4. O'Rourke presents an unflattering picture of House Democratic efforts to talk environmentalism in advance of what?
5. Where was the Republican convention held that O'Rourke attended?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)