|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. O'Rourke says that the 1988 presidential candidates were less well chosen than whom?
(a) Holiday cashiers at Walmart.
(b) Harvard law applicants.
(c) Prom kings and queens.
(d) Miss America contestants.
2. How many pages was a government study released on "runaway car syndrome"?
3. Who told the Atlanta convention that the Democratic party "needs both its left wing and its right wing to fly"?
(a) Jesse Jackson.
(b) George H. W. Bush.
(c) Bill Clinton.
(d) Michael Dukakis.
4. What newspaper called Dan Quayle an "avid reader" of "real live books"?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) USA Today.
(c) The Wall Street Journal.
(d) The Times-Union.
5. During the convention, O'Rourke says both Democrats and Republicans act like mindless fans of what?
(a) The Beatles.
(b) Science fiction.
(d) Rock music.
6. Who is the author of "The Power Game: How Washington Works"?
(a) Jeffrey Simpson.
(b) Jason Watson.
(c) Christopher Cav.
(d) Hedrick Smith.
7. O'Rourke visited the Department of Transportation and was surprised to discover that many of the workers were fans of what?
(b) Video games.
(c) The Rolling Stones.
(d) "Star Wars."
8. On what day was George H. W. Bush's 1991 budget finally "hammered out"?
(a) January 2, 1991.
(b) August 15, 1990.
(c) October 27, 1990.
(d) July 3, 1990.
9. O'Rourke presents an unflattering picture of House Democratic efforts to talk environmentalism in advance of what?
(a) Earth Day.
(c) The elections.
(d) A vote on climate reform.
10. O'Rourke joked that George H. W. Bush donned a costume and went by what name?
(b) Mr. Texas.
(d) The Conservanator.
11. What exists in a state of perpetual failure because motion is valued above direction and achievement?
(a) Social security.
(b) The Democratic party.
(d) The Republican party.
12. When did O'Rourke predict that there would be an election of significance?
13. What does O'Rourke say the venue where the Democratic convention was held is shaped like?
(a) A toilet.
(b) A morgue.
(c) A coffin.
(d) A horse.
14. In what year did a flag desecration case take place?
15. How many letters from citizens does O'Rourke imagine that congressmen receive each year?
(a) A few thousand.
(b) Tens of thousands.
(c) More than one million.
(d) Hundreds of thousands.
Short Answer Questions
1. A high school textbook refers to what document as "a living document"?
2. What ball did O'Rourke peek in on where he saw boogying and people playing the electric guitar?
3. In what year did a national newspaper print a story about "runaway car syndrome"?
4. O'Rourke recalls shadowing whom for a day?
5. In "Only Human in His Own Immortal Way: The President," O'Rourke mocks what Act?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)