|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told the Atlanta convention that the Democratic party "needs both its left wing and its right wing to fly"?
(a) Michael Dukakis.
(b) Bill Clinton.
(c) Jesse Jackson.
(d) George H. W. Bush.
2. What was the name of the foundation that set up a commission to study the electorate?
(a) The Jeffrey and Michelle H. Wright Foundation.
(b) The Roy and Carol G. Bernath Foundation.
(c) The Thomas and Ruth B. Martin Foundation.
(d) The John and Mary R. Markle Foundation.
3. Which Amendment to the U.S. Constitution gives women the right to vote?
(a) The 19th.
(b) The 8th.
(c) The 12th.
(d) The 4th.
4. "Runaway car syndrome" is a situation where a vehicle spontaneously does what?
(a) Fluctuates in speed independently of the driver's will.
(b) Fails to register as having a valid VIN number.
(c) Stops independently of the driver's will.
(d) Accelerates independently of the driver's will.
5. When O'Rourke paints a cynical picture of the concept of "majority rule," what does he say that every meal will be?
(a) Fried rice.
(c) Fried chicken.
(d) Macaroni and cheese.
6. What does O'Rourke describe as an organism whose sole purpose is to aggrandize those in power?
(a) The American government.
(b) The media.
(c) The election process.
(d) The White House.
7. O'Rourke revealed that congressmen use what items that offer a summary of a proposed bill?
(a) An "info sheet."
(b) A "cheat sheet."
(c) An "info guide."
(d) A "cheat card."
8. For what state was Dukakis governor in 1988?
9. When did O'Rourke predict that there would be an election of significance?
10. Who does O'Rourke believe increases bureaucracy by forcing the government to address people's frivolous complaints?
(a) Angry parents.
(b) Consumer advocates.
(c) Print media.
(d) Advertising agencies.
11. What newspaper called Dan Quayle an "avid reader" of "real live books"?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) USA Today.
(c) The Times-Union.
(d) The Wall Street Journal.
12. What amendment is in question as to whether or not it allows flag burning in protest?
13. In what newspaper did an article about "runaway car syndrome" appear?
(a) New York Times.
(b) The Washington Post.
(c) USA Today.
(d) The Wall Street Journal.
14. A high school textbook refers to what document as "a living document"?
(a) The Monroe Doctrine.
(b) The Magna Charta.
(c) The U.S. Constitution.
(d) The Declaration of Independence.
15. According to a study by a foundation, what percent of Americans did not know what party Llotd Bentsen was affiliated with during an election?
Short Answer Questions
1. O'Rourke says that the 1988 presidential candidates were less well chosen than whom?
2. George H. W. Bush ran his presidential campaign on the idea that he would be a second helping of whom?
3. What Audi model does O'Rourke say was deemed unsafe because of "runaway car syndrome"?
4. Who was the keynote speaker at the 1988 Democratic convention?
5. In "Only Human in His Own Immortal Way: The President," O'Rourke mocks what Act?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)