|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does O'Rourke say has more respect for their electorates than the American parties?
(a) The Soviet Communists.
(b) The Iranian republic.
(c) The Saudi Arabian absolute monarchy.
(d) The Canadian constitutional monarchy.
2. Who has a reputation as being the unofficial fourth branch of government?
(a) The Green party.
(b) The residents of Washington, D.C.
(c) The media.
(d) The American people.
3. What year was it when O'Rourke attended the Democratic and Republican political conventions?
4. What nickname did O'Rourke give to the generation that was attending high school when his book was written?
(a) The Coca-Cola generation.
(b) The "Home Alone" generation.
(c) The Pizza Hut generation.
(d) The "Sesame Street" generation.
5. Who does O'Rourke say is the only Democrat who came to the convention with real ideas?
(a) Bill Clinton.
(b) Lloyd Bentsen.
(c) Michael Dukakis.
(d) Jesse Jackson.
6. O'Rourke says that the 1988 presidential candidates were less well chosen than whom?
(a) Harvard law applicants.
(b) Holiday cashiers at Walmart.
(c) Miss America contestants.
(d) Prom kings and queens.
7. What Audi model does O'Rourke say was deemed unsafe because of "runaway car syndrome"?
(a) Audi A4.
(b) Audi 5000.
(c) Audi A2.
(d) Audi 80.
8. Which Amendment to the U.S. Constitution gives women the right to vote?
(a) The 8th.
(b) The 12th.
(c) The 4th.
(d) The 19th.
9. In what newspaper did an article about "runaway car syndrome" appear?
(a) The Wall Street Journal.
(b) The Washington Post.
(c) New York Times.
(d) USA Today.
10. What does O'Rourke say the venue where the Democratic convention was held is shaped like?
(a) A coffin.
(b) A horse.
(c) A morgue.
(d) A toilet.
11. How many pages was a government study released on "runaway car syndrome"?
12. A high school textbook refers to what document as "a living document"?
(a) The Declaration of Independence.
(b) The Magna Charta.
(c) The Monroe Doctrine.
(d) The U.S. Constitution.
13. Who told the Atlanta convention that the Democratic party "needs both its left wing and its right wing to fly"?
(a) George H. W. Bush.
(b) Michael Dukakis.
(c) Jesse Jackson.
(d) Bill Clinton.
14. What brand of beer does O'Rourke mention when saying that "runaway car syndrome" is the result of drinking while driving?
15. O'Rourke jokingly compared the political conventions to a special-occasion event, with whom in the broadcast booth?
(a) Matt Lauer.
(b) Katie Couric.
(c) Bryant Gumbel.
(d) Kathy Lee Gifford.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the solicitor general during a flag desecration case?
2. Who equated a belief in government to the "vapid" peace of mind experienced by church goers?
3. O'Rourke recalls shadowing whom for a day?
4. On what day was a government study released on "runaway car syndrome"?
5. What does O'Rourke describe as an organism whose sole purpose is to aggrandize those in power?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)