|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. O'Rourke says that the 1988 presidential candidates were less well chosen than whom?
(a) Holiday cashiers at Walmart.
(b) Miss America contestants.
(c) Harvard law applicants.
(d) Prom kings and queens.
2. What is the name of the group of journalists who ask questions and take photos at the White House?
(a) White House Press Club.
(b) White House Press Association.
(c) White House Press Group.
(d) White House Press Corps.
3. What are the speeches called that O'Rourke heard when he visited the House of Representatives?
(a) One minutes.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) Three minutes.
(d) 10 minutes.
4. Who did O'Rourke credit with George H. W. Bush's meteoric rise to popularity?
(a) The media.
(b) His wife.
(c) His overzealous fans.
(d) School teachers.
5. What brand of beer does O'Rourke mention when saying that "runaway car syndrome" is the result of drinking while driving?
6. Who told the Atlanta convention that the Democratic party "needs both its left wing and its right wing to fly"?
(a) George H. W. Bush.
(b) Bill Clinton.
(c) Jesse Jackson.
(d) Michael Dukakis.
7. During the convention, O'Rourke says both Democrats and Republicans act like mindless fans of what?
(b) Science fiction.
(c) Rock music.
(d) The Beatles.
8. O'Rourke revealed that congressmen use what items that offer a summary of a proposed bill?
(a) An "info sheet."
(b) A "cheat card."
(c) An "info guide."
(d) A "cheat sheet."
9. When did O'Rourke predict that there would be an election of significance?
10. O'Rourke began the sub-section "Attack of the Midget Vote-suckers" by comparing conventions to what?
(a) High school reunions.
(d) Cheerleading competitions.
11. What exists in a state of perpetual failure because motion is valued above direction and achievement?
(a) The Democratic party.
(b) The Republican party.
(d) Social security.
12. What political party did Lloyd Bentsen belong to?
13. At what time of day was George H. W. Bush's 1991 budget finally "hammered out"?
(a) 6:58 a.m.
(b) 10:15 p.m.
(c) 5:07 a.m.
(d) 3:47 p.m.
14. What is the name of the textbook that O'Rourke criticized for being boring?
(a) "The United States and You."
(b) "The House and the Whip."
(c) "American Civics."
(d) "American Government."
15. For which presidential candidate did Lloyd Bentsen run as vice president?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a reputation as being the unofficial fourth branch of government?
2. O'Rourke visited the Department of Transportation and was surprised to discover that many of the workers were fans of what?
3. What year was it when O'Rourke attended the Democratic and Republican political conventions?
4. O'Rourke begins "Protectors of a Blameless Citizenry: The Bureaucracy" by talking about what government department?
5. Who equated a belief in government to the "vapid" peace of mind experienced by church goers?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)