|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the Republican convention held that O'Rourke attended?
(a) New Orleans.
(d) Washington, D.C.
2. Which Amendment to the U.S. Constitution gives women the right to vote?
(a) The 4th.
(b) The 19th.
(c) The 8th.
(d) The 12th.
3. How long did Jesse Jackson propose to freeze military spending?
(a) One year.
(b) Five years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Two years.
4. What does O'Rourke say is the term for an interview where "you didn't come here and I didn't say this"?
(a) "Nameless and faceless."
(c) "On background."
(d) "Off the record."
5. A high school textbook refers to what document as "a living document"?
(a) The Declaration of Independence.
(b) The Magna Charta.
(c) The Monroe Doctrine.
(d) The U.S. Constitution.
6. O'Rourke jokingly compared the political conventions to a special-occasion event, with whom in the broadcast booth?
(a) Katie Couric.
(b) Matt Lauer.
(c) Bryant Gumbel.
(d) Kathy Lee Gifford.
7. "Runaway car syndrome" is a situation where a vehicle spontaneously does what?
(a) Fails to register as having a valid VIN number.
(b) Fluctuates in speed independently of the driver's will.
(c) Stops independently of the driver's will.
(d) Accelerates independently of the driver's will.
8. O'Rourke points out that the manual for what automobile is 4 times as long as the U.S. Constitution?
(a) Chevrolet Camero.
(b) Dodge Neon.
(c) Ford Mustang.
(d) Toyota Camry.
9. Who is the author of "The Power Game: How Washington Works"?
(a) Jason Watson.
(b) Christopher Cav.
(c) Hedrick Smith.
(d) Jeffrey Simpson.
10. When all the delegates from both political parties get together, O'Rourke says they act like what club members?
11. O' Rourke compares the president's decision-making ability to that of a child of what age?
12. At what time of day was George H. W. Bush's 1991 budget finally "hammered out"?
(a) 3:47 p.m.
(b) 10:15 p.m.
(c) 5:07 a.m.
(d) 6:58 a.m.
13. Who said Dan Quayle was "well-informed, intelligent, candid and engaging"?
(a) Morton Kondracke.
(b) Joseph Pulitzer.
(c) Piers Morgan.
(d) Jim Bellows.
14. Who has a reputation as being the unofficial fourth branch of government?
(a) The media.
(b) The residents of Washington, D.C.
(c) The American people.
(d) The Green party.
15. George H. W. Bush ran his presidential campaign on the idea that he would be a second helping of whom?
(a) Gerald Ford.
(b) Richard Nixon.
(c) Jimmy Carter.
(d) Ronald Reagan.
Short Answer Questions
1. O'Rourke comes to the conclusion that the president's role in government is largely symbolic after referring to a presidential agenda from what day?
2. What party game does O'Rourke liken the American political system to?
3. For how long has an agency had to deal with "runaway car syndrome"?
4. Who does O'Rourke say has more respect for their electorates than the American parties?
5. O'Rourke joked that George H. W. Bush donned a costume and went by what name?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)