|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What exists in a state of perpetual failure because motion is valued above direction and achievement?
(a) Social security.
(c) The Democratic party.
(d) The Republican party.
2. How does O'Rourke describe a day when Congress is not even in session?
3. O'Rourke begins "Protectors of a Blameless Citizenry: The Bureaucracy" by talking about what government department?
4. "Runaway car syndrome" is a situation where a vehicle spontaneously does what?
(a) Stops independently of the driver's will.
(b) Accelerates independently of the driver's will.
(c) Fails to register as having a valid VIN number.
(d) Fluctuates in speed independently of the driver's will.
5. During the convention, O'Rourke says both Democrats and Republicans act like mindless fans of what?
(a) Science fiction.
(c) Rock music.
(d) The Beatles.
6. O'Rourke joked that George H. W. Bush donned a costume and went by what name?
(c) Mr. Texas.
(d) The Conservanator.
7. Who does O'Rourke say has more respect for their electorates than the American parties?
(a) The Iranian republic.
(b) The Saudi Arabian absolute monarchy.
(c) The Canadian constitutional monarchy.
(d) The Soviet Communists.
8. What nickname did O'Rourke give to the generation that was attending high school when his book was written?
(a) The "Sesame Street" generation.
(b) The Pizza Hut generation.
(c) The "Home Alone" generation.
(d) The Coca-Cola generation.
9. O'Rourke began the sub-section "Attack of the Midget Vote-suckers" by comparing conventions to what?
(a) High school reunions.
(c) Cheerleading competitions.
10. How did O'Rourke describe Reagan's social programs?
(d) Luke warm.
11. In what year did a national newspaper print a story about "runaway car syndrome"?
12. O'Rourke visited the Department of Transportation and was surprised to discover that many of the workers were fans of what?
(a) Video games.
(c) The Rolling Stones.
(d) "Star Wars."
13. On what day was a government study released on "runaway car syndrome"?
(a) March 7.
(b) June 2.
(c) April 16.
(d) May 22.
14. What city does O'Rourke describe as having a climate like the inside of a locked van in the Sahara?
15. According to a study by a foundation, what percent of Americans did not know what party Llotd Bentsen was affiliated with during an election?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the keynote speaker at the 1988 Democratic convention?
2. O'Rourke says the Republican convention had the intellectual content of song lyrics by what band?
3. What platform did O'Rourke say the Republicans ran on in 1988?
4. What does O'Rourke say is the term for an interview where "you didn't come here and I didn't say this"?
5. What party game does O'Rourke liken the American political system to?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)