|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. O'Rourke says that the 1988 presidential candidates were less well chosen than whom?
(a) Prom kings and queens.
(b) Harvard law applicants.
(c) Miss America contestants.
(d) Holiday cashiers at Walmart.
2. When all the delegates from both political parties get together, O'Rourke says they act like what club members?
3. Who was the director of the Office of Management and Budget at the time George H. W. Bush's 1991 budget was completed?
(a) Peter Orszag.
(b) Richard Darman.
(c) Franklin D. Raines.
(d) Alice M. Rivlin.
4. What exists in a state of perpetual failure because motion is valued above direction and achievement?
(b) Social security.
(c) The Democratic party.
(d) The Republican party.
5. Who said Dan Quayle was "well-informed, intelligent, candid and engaging"?
(a) Jim Bellows.
(b) Morton Kondracke.
(c) Piers Morgan.
(d) Joseph Pulitzer.
6. What ball did O'Rourke peek in on where he saw boogying and people playing the electric guitar?
(a) The Magnolia Ball.
(b) Police Atheletic League Ball.
(c) Inaugural Balls.
(d) Young Americans Ball.
7. Who has a reputation as being the unofficial fourth branch of government?
(a) The media.
(b) The Green party.
(c) The American people.
(d) The residents of Washington, D.C.
8. O'Rourke presents an unflattering picture of House Democratic efforts to talk environmentalism in advance of what?
(a) A vote on climate reform.
(c) Earth Day.
(d) The elections.
9. What nickname did O'Rourke give to the generation that was attending high school when his book was written?
(a) The Coca-Cola generation.
(b) The Pizza Hut generation.
(c) The "Home Alone" generation.
(d) The "Sesame Street" generation.
10. Who does O'Rourke say is the only Democrat who came to the convention with real ideas?
(a) Lloyd Bentsen.
(b) Bill Clinton.
(c) Jesse Jackson.
(d) Michael Dukakis.
11. How long did Jesse Jackson propose to freeze military spending?
(a) Four years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Five years.
(d) One year.
12. What does O'Rourke say the venue where the Democratic convention was held is shaped like?
(a) A toilet.
(b) A coffin.
(c) A horse.
(d) A morgue.
13. Who is the author of "The Power Game: How Washington Works"?
(a) Jeffrey Simpson.
(b) Jason Watson.
(c) Hedrick Smith.
(d) Christopher Cav.
14. When O'Rourke paints a cynical picture of the concept of "majority rule," what does he say that every meal will be?
(a) Fried rice.
(b) Macaroni and cheese.
(d) Fried chicken.
15. How did O'Rourke describe Reagan's social programs?
(a) Luke warm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Amendments to the U.S. Constitution deals with the right to "keep and bear arms"?
2. A high school textbook refers to what document as "a living document"?
3. Who told the Atlanta convention that the Democratic party "needs both its left wing and its right wing to fly"?
4. How does O'Rourke describe a day when Congress is not even in session?
5. Who was the presidential candidate for the Democrats when O'Rourke visited the political conventions of both parties?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)