|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. O'Rourke recalls shadowing whom for a day?
(a) A lobbyist.
(b) A press secretary.
(c) A congressman.
(d) A president.
2. Who was the solicitor general during a flag desecration case?
(a) Rex E. Lee.
(b) Charles Fried.
(c) Thurgood Marshall.
(d) Kenneth Starr.
3. When O'Rourke paints a cynical picture of the concept of "majority rule," what does he say will be the only thing on the shelves at libraries?
(b) Diet and workout books.
(c) Murder mystery novels.
(d) Comic books.
4. Who was the presidential candidate for the Democrats when O'Rourke visited the political conventions of both parties?
5. Who was the director of the Office of Management and Budget at the time George H. W. Bush's 1991 budget was completed?
(a) Peter Orszag.
(b) Franklin D. Raines.
(c) Richard Darman.
(d) Alice M. Rivlin.
6. When all the delegates from both political parties get together, O'Rourke says they act like what club members?
7. Who did O'Rourke credit with George H. W. Bush's meteoric rise to popularity?
(a) School teachers.
(b) His wife.
(c) The media.
(d) His overzealous fans.
8. Who did O'Rourke blame for the poor state of the nation?
(a) The American people.
(b) The media.
(c) The politicians.
(d) The Middle East.
9. Who referred to lukewarm political relationships as "kiss on the lips but no tongue"?
(a) Adam Neal.
(b) Matthew Reed.
(c) Stephen Kerr.
(d) Fred Barnes.
10. O'Rourke says that the 1988 presidential candidates were less well chosen than whom?
(a) Harvard law applicants.
(b) Miss America contestants.
(c) Holiday cashiers at Walmart.
(d) Prom kings and queens.
11. Who was the keynote speaker at the 1988 Democratic convention?
(a) Bill Clinton.
(b) Jim Hightower.
(c) Ann Richards.
(d) Ted Kennedy.
12. Who was Dukakis considering as a running mate before he picked Lloyd Bentsen?
(a) Danny Ortega.
(b) Bill Clinton.
(c) Al Gore.
(d) Barrack Obama.
13. According to a study by a foundation, what percent of Americans did not know what party Llotd Bentsen was affiliated with during an election?
14. What party game does O'Rourke liken the American political system to?
(a) Spin the bottle.
(c) Pin the tail on the donkey.
(d) Texas hold 'em.
15. O'Rourke joked that George H. W. Bush donned a costume and went by what name?
(a) Mr. Texas.
(c) The Conservanator.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Only Human in His Own Immortal Way: The President," O'Rourke mocks what Act?
2. What nickname did O'Rourke give to the generation that was attending high school when his book was written?
3. What city does O'Rourke describe as having a climate like the inside of a locked van in the Sahara?
4. What exists in a state of perpetual failure because motion is valued above direction and achievement?
5. Who does O'Rourke say has more respect for their electorates than the American parties?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)