|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a major resource on Mars that makes it viable for "terraforming"?
2. What fuel source might be viable within asteroids?
3. Sagan describes the "myth" that he believes should be created as centering around what?
4. What was the name of the mission that sent the first probes to Venus?
5. Why does Sagan say that Mars is a more desirable target for human exploration than the moon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What profit motivations exist in a manned mission to Mars?
2. What is the purpose of SETI and how does it operate?
3. What does Sagan want to see on Mars?
4. What is unusual about the surface of Venus?
5. What location in the solar system either have or are believed to have once had volcanoes?
6. How is Venus different from Earth?
7. How well can an asteroid's path be calculated?
8. What does Sagan conclude about the morality of terraforming and planetary colonization?
9. How could planetary tides pull a small planet apart?
10. How does Sagan believe that humanity will progress in the next hundred or so generations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sagan suggests that the colonization of distant worlds is both feasible and critical to humanity.
1) Explain how does Sagan envisions colonization of distant worlds occurring. What would be the motive for such efforts?
2) Discuss some of the targets that Sagan suggests for colonization, including non-planets.
3) Describe why Sagan believes that colonization is critical to securing the safety of the human race.
Essay Topic 2
Volcanoes are quite common and relatively active on Earth, and can be observed on solid planetary bodies throughout the solar system.
1) Describe the process of volcanism in general, its causes, and its impact on the environment.
2) Discuss the function and nature of volcanoes on Earth and how they interact with the upper atmosphere and eject particles into space.
3) Describe some of the known active or dormant volcano system observed on other planets and moons.
Essay Topic 3
Each of the Voyager craft were fitted with golden phonograph records containing carefully selected information to be sent along with the probes into deep space.
1) Discuss the purpose of the Voyager records.
2) Explain the design of the Voyager records, why they are expected to endure without losing data, and how an alien intelligence would be expected to decode them.
3) Discuss the information contained on the records and why it was selected.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)