|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mars apparently once had what resource?
2. About how many channels does SETI search for signs of extraterrestrial communication on?
3. In what year did humans visit the moon for the last time?
4. Sagan suggests that the Apollo missions were primarily about what?
5. The atmosphere of Venus would best be described as which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of strategies are most practical for stopping an Earth-bound asteroid?
2. Why does Sagan believe it is unlikely that a manned mission to Mars will be carried out in the near future?
3. Why does Sagan believe that America sent men to the moon?
4. What does Sagan think were the major upsides of the Apollo missions?
5. What would the process of "terraforming" on Mars be like?
6. How is Venus similar to Earth?
7. What resources does Sagan believe that carbon asteroids have that make them suitable for human habitation?
8. What location in the solar system either have or are believed to have once had volcanoes?
9. Why does Sagan suggest that space exploration aids in protecting the planet?
10. How does Sagan believe that humanity will progress in the next hundred or so generations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sagan discusses the a manned mission to Mars as a desirable first step in extending the human race out beyond the Earth but identifies many practical problems with any proposed plan.
1) Explain why Sagan believes that a manned mission should be sent to the planet Mars.
2) Discuss some of the proposals for such a mission, what their aims would be, and how they would be carried out technically.
3) Describe the practical difficulties that Sagan outlines and how they could be overcome.
Essay Topic 2
Mars is Earth's nearest neighbor and the best candidate for human exploration and settlement.
1) Explain some of the characteristics of the planet Mars, including those that make it a good candidate for human colonization.
2) Discuss the indicators on Mars that suggest to Sagan that life could be found on the planet.
3) Describe the process that Sagan discusses which would be necessary to terraform Mars.
Essay Topic 3
Sagan suggests that the colonization of distant worlds is both feasible and critical to humanity.
1) Explain how does Sagan envisions colonization of distant worlds occurring. What would be the motive for such efforts?
2) Discuss some of the targets that Sagan suggests for colonization, including non-planets.
3) Describe why Sagan believes that colonization is critical to securing the safety of the human race.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)