|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sagan says that the dark matter that surrounds the Milky Way galaxy takes what shape?
2. Which of the following is NOT a major resource on Mars that makes it viable for "terraforming"?
3. According to Sagan, what was the major advantage of the attitude of the government towards the Apollo project?
4. When does Sagan think that the human race will be "on its way"?
5. Why do some suggest capturing asteroids in Earth orbit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each of the Voyager craft were fitted with golden phonograph records containing carefully selected information to be sent along with the probes into deep space.
1) Discuss the purpose of the Voyager records.
2) Explain the design of the Voyager records, why they are expected to endure without losing data, and how an alien intelligence would be expected to decode them.
3) Discuss the information contained on the records and why it was selected.
Essay Topic 2
Saturn is known for its beautiful ring system, although at the time this book was written, it was not known how or why planets formed rings.
1) Describe the planet Saturn, its ring system, and its moons.
2) Summarize some of the important information that the Voyager probes gleaned from their passage of the planet.
3) Discuss how planetary tidal forces are believed to contribute to the formation of ring systems.
Essay Topic 3
Volcanoes are quite common and relatively active on Earth, and can be observed on solid planetary bodies throughout the solar system.
1) Describe the process of volcanism in general, its causes, and its impact on the environment.
2) Discuss the function and nature of volcanoes on Earth and how they interact with the upper atmosphere and eject particles into space.
3) Describe some of the known active or dormant volcano system observed on other planets and moons.
This section contains 1,879 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)