Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most important thing that would immediately be apparent to any alien intelligence that found the Voyager probes?
2. What does Neptune's moon have less of compared to Titan?
3. Sagan suggests that throughout history, many have claimed that our species is what?
4. What is Neptune's largest moon?
5. Who was the first to discover moons around another planet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the attitude of the Catholic church towards Galileo changed over time?
2. What location in the solar system either have or are believed to have once had volcanoes?
3. What is the problem of perspective in estimating the importance of human beings?
4. What is the purpose of SETI and how does it operate?
5. What does Sagan believe would be necessary for the safety of the human race to be secured?
6. What does Sagan believe black holes have to offer?
7. What would be the first things an alien visitor to Earth would notice about the planet?
8. Briefly describe the progress made to undermine the geocentric theory.
9. What does the image of the "pale blue dot" suggest to Sagan?
10. How did ancient people know about the planets?
The program SETI is the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. Sagan endorses this program whole-heartedly despite its failure to date and many complaints about its cost.
1) Explain the SETI program and its goals, and how it goes about its search for intelligence.
2) Discuss some of the criticisms about the SETI program.
3) Explain why Sagan maintains his support for the program, despite its failure to date.
Sagan regards the Voyager craft as triumphs of engineering and human ingenuity. These craft were designed to explore most of the planets in the solar system, and then to journey outwards from it to the stars.
1) Describe the Voyager craft, their missions, and capabilities. What planets were these craft intended to explore?
2) Discuss the differences between the Voyager mission and previous efforts in space exploration. How were these craft significantly different?
3) Explain Sagan's particular interest in the Voyager craft and why he believes them each to be a triumph.
4) Summarize some of the important observations that the Voyager craft made.
Neptune is the most distant planet in the solar system.
1) Describe how Neptune was discovered.
2) Discuss and explain some of Neptune's distinguishing characteristics, including its warmth and Jupiter-like atmosphere.
3) Summarize Sagan's assessment of the planet an its importance in the field of space exploration. Why was it visited by the Voyager probes?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)