|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did NASA's SETI program go online?
2. What happens to the number of asteroids and comets in the solar system as time goes on?
(a) It diminishes.
(b) It remains about the same.
(c) It increases.
(d) Its change is unknown.
3. Sagan estimates that intelligent life might arise on average in one out of how many stars?
(a) One trillion.
(b) One million.
(c) Ten thousand.
(d) One billion.
4. Mars apparently once had what resource?
(a) Ice sheets.
(b) Organic compounds.
(c) Liquid water.
(d) Oceans of hydrocarbons.
5. Where was NASA's first SETI facility located?
(a) The Mojave desert.
(b) The Nevada salt flats.
(c) The Sierra Nevada mountain range.
(d) The Appalachian mountain range.
Short Answer Questions
1. The primary discipline that Sagan argues nations benefit from by investing in space exploration is called which of the following?
2. About how many channels does SETI search for signs of extraterrestrial communication on?
3. CFCs are chemicals that is primarily hazardous to the environment in what area?
4. Sagan describes the "myth" that he believes should be created as centering around what?
5. Where does Sagan think it is most likely that life will be found on Mars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sagan believe black holes have to offer?
2. What resources does Sagan believe that carbon asteroids have that make them suitable for human habitation?
3. What is unusual about the surface of Venus?
4. How does Sagan believe that humanity will progress in the next hundred or so generations?
5. What is unusual about the ring systems of the planets in our solar system?
6. What does Sagan think were the major upsides of the Apollo missions?
7. What major environmental catastrophes does Sagan warn against in Chapter 14, "Exploring Other Worlds and Protecting One"?
8. How is Venus different from Earth?
9. What does Sagan say that it is probably the fate of humanity to "live in the dark"?
10. Why does Sagan believe that America sent men to the moon?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)