|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What element does Sagan say motivated the space programs of the 60s and 70s?
(d) Scientific endeavor.
2. Which of the following characteristics of Venus is LEAST similar to Earth's?
3. What type of missions does Sagan recommend in order to prepare to deal with Earth-bound asteroids?
(b) Extra-planetary manned missions.
(c) Meteor landings.
(d) Asteroid landings.
4. According to the plans Sagan discussed, how would nuclear weapons typically be used to stop an asteroid from colliding with the Earth?
(a) By reversing its orbit.
(b) By destroying it completely.
(c) By splitting it in two.
(d) By pushing it off-course.
5. What types of information does SETI analyze?
(a) Gravitational waves.
(b) Cosmic rays.
(c) Magnetic waves.
(d) Radio waves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the shape of the galaxy closest to the Milky Way?
2. According to Sagan, how profitable is it for a nation to invest in space exploration?
3. How old are the terrain features generated by Venus' volcanoes?
4. What hazard from nuclear weapons causes "nuclear winter"?
5. About how large a percentage of the mass of the total universe does dark matter make up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the surface of Venus?
2. What promising signs does Mars have for being host to life?
3. How is Venus different from Earth?
4. How could planetary tides pull a small planet apart?
5. What types of strategies are most practical for stopping an Earth-bound asteroid?
6. What resources does Sagan believe that carbon asteroids have that make them suitable for human habitation?
7. What does Sagan believe would be necessary for the safety of the human race to be secured?
8. Why does Sagan believe it is unlikely that a manned mission to Mars will be carried out in the near future?
9. What does Sagan think were the major upsides of the Apollo missions?
10. What is the purpose of SETI and how does it operate?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)