|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Sagan think that the human race will be "on its way"?
(a) When we begin colonizing other planets.
(b) When we make contact with another intelligent species.
(c) When we reach another star.
(d) When we begin living in space.
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the missions that observed Venus using radar telescopes?
3. In what year did humans visit the moon for the last time?
4. What type of asteroids does Sagan suggest that men might be able to live inside of?
(a) Silicon asteroids.
(b) Short-period asteroids.
(c) Carbon asteroids.
(d) Ice asteroids.
5. Which of the following characteristics of Venus is LEAST similar to Earth's?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the belief that Venus was a "sister planet" to Earth become dispelled?
2. What is the shape of the galaxy closest to the Milky Way?
3. What element does Sagan say motivated the space programs of the 60s and 70s?
4. What planet in the solar system obviously suffers from a severe greenhouse gas effect?
5. Mars apparently once had what resource?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of SETI and how does it operate?
2. What promising signs does Mars have for being host to life?
3. What does Sagan believe black holes have to offer?
4. Why does Sagan believe that America sent men to the moon?
5. What does Sagan want to see on Mars?
6. What profit motivations exist in a manned mission to Mars?
7. How could planetary tides pull a small planet apart?
8. What resources does Sagan believe that carbon asteroids have that make them suitable for human habitation?
9. How does Sagan believe that humanity will progress in the next hundred or so generations?
10. What types of strategies are most practical for stopping an Earth-bound asteroid?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)