|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Steven Hawking worry about with regard to black holes?
(a) That they could migrate into the solar system.
(b) That they were growing larger with time.
(c) That they could tear space-time.
(d) That there were varied types of them.
2. It is believed that some of Saturn's rings may eventually form into what?
3. When did the belief that Venus was a "sister planet" to Earth become dispelled?
(a) The late nineteenth century.
(b) The mid nineteenth century.
(c) The early twentieth century.
(d) The mid twentieth century.
4. At the time this book was written, how many Mars Observers had been flown successfully?
5. Which of the following planets is NOT known to have a ring system?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the second mission that sent probes into the atmosphere of Venus?
2. How far out does the solar corona die out?
3. How does Sagan characterize most of the benefits gleaned from the space programs of the 60s and 70s?
4. Which of the following characteristics of Venus is LEAST similar to Earth's?
5. What characteristic of the atmosphere of Venus was initially impossible to explain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the ring systems of the planets in our solar system?
2. Why does Sagan believe it is unlikely that a manned mission to Mars will be carried out in the near future?
3. How is Venus similar to Earth?
4. What would the process of "terraforming" on Mars be like?
5. What does Sagan think were the major upsides of the Apollo missions?
6. What does Sagan conclude about the morality of terraforming and planetary colonization?
7. How is Venus different from Earth?
8. Why does Sagan suggest that space exploration aids in protecting the planet?
9. How well can an asteroid's path be calculated?
10. What resources does Sagan believe that carbon asteroids have that make them suitable for human habitation?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)