|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the plans Sagan discussed, how would nuclear weapons typically be used to stop an asteroid from colliding with the Earth?
(a) By destroying it completely.
(b) By reversing its orbit.
(c) By splitting it in two.
(d) By pushing it off-course.
2. How far out does the solar corona die out?
(a) 1200 AU.
(b) 550 AU.
(c) 5 AU.
(d) 70 AU.
3. When was Venus first explored by a space probe?
4. What was the name of the second mission that sent probes into the atmosphere of Venus?
5. Sagan suggests that the Apollo missions were primarily about what?
(d) Military strategy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the primary way that humans add carbon dioxide to the atmosphere?
2. What planet in the solar system obviously suffers from a severe greenhouse gas effect?
3. According to Sagan, how profitable is it for a nation to invest in space exploration?
4. It is believed that some of Saturn's rings may eventually form into what?
5. At the time this book was written, about how many asteroids were known to have paths that take them close to the Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What resources does Sagan believe that carbon asteroids have that make them suitable for human habitation?
2. What does Sagan believe black holes have to offer?
3. How could planetary tides pull a small planet apart?
4. What does Sagan believe would be necessary for the safety of the human race to be secured?
5. What types of strategies are most practical for stopping an Earth-bound asteroid?
6. What does Sagan want to see on Mars?
7. What profit motivations exist in a manned mission to Mars?
8. How well can an asteroid's path be calculated?
9. What does Sagan conclude about the morality of terraforming and planetary colonization?
10. What would the process of "terraforming" on Mars be like?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)