|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sagan characterize most of the benefits gleaned from the space programs of the 60s and 70s?
(a) They were intangible.
(b) They were unexpected.
(c) They were relatively unimportant.
(d) They were underestimated.
2. What process would be critical to terraforming Mars?
(a) The greenhouse cycle.
(c) The Turing effect.
(d) Ozone catalyzing.
3. What is the farthest orbital location that humans have ventured to since the last time men went to the moon?
(a) Low Earth orbit.
(b) High Earth orbit.
(c) Geosynchronous orbit.
(d) Parking orbit.
4. Sagan suggests that the Apollo missions were primarily about what?
(c) Military strategy.
5. According to Sagan, how profitable is it for a nation to invest in space exploration?
(a) It has great benefits in a limited scope.
(b) It has high costs.
(c) It is highly profitable.
(d) It is not related to a nation's welfare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the acronym for the project within SETI that Sagan worked on?
2. What is an astronomical unit?
3. When does Sagan predict that anti-matter will be mass-manufactured?
4. Sagan estimates that intelligent life might arise on average in one out of how many stars?
5. What moon was found to have volcanoes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Venus similar to Earth?
2. How well can an asteroid's path be calculated?
3. What profit motivations exist in a manned mission to Mars?
4. What promising signs does Mars have for being host to life?
5. What major environmental catastrophes does Sagan warn against in Chapter 14, "Exploring Other Worlds and Protecting One"?
6. What location in the solar system either have or are believed to have once had volcanoes?
7. What does Sagan conclude about the morality of terraforming and planetary colonization?
8. What does Sagan say that it is probably the fate of humanity to "live in the dark"?
9. Why does Sagan believe it is unlikely that a manned mission to Mars will be carried out in the near future?
10. How could planetary tides pull a small planet apart?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)