|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the second mission that sent probes into the atmosphere of Venus?
2. How far out does the solar corona die out?
(a) 1200 AU.
(b) 5 AU.
(c) 550 AU.
(d) 70 AU.
3. What is an astronomical unit?
(a) The radius of the solar system.
(b) The distance that light travels in one minute.
(c) The distance from the sun to the Earth.
(d) The mean distance between stars.
4. The atmosphere of Venus would best be described as which of the following?
5. What is the acronym for the project within SETI that Sagan worked on?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martian soil seem to contain?
2. How old are the terrain features generated by Venus' volcanoes?
3. How are chunks of Martian rock studied on Earth?
4. What is the primary distinguishing feature that SETI looks for to identify a communication from an intelligent source?
5. What process would be critical to terraforming Mars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of SETI and how does it operate?
2. What location in the solar system either have or are believed to have once had volcanoes?
3. What is unusual about the ring systems of the planets in our solar system?
4. How well can an asteroid's path be calculated?
5. How is Venus different from Earth?
6. How is Venus similar to Earth?
7. What does Sagan say that it is probably the fate of humanity to "live in the dark"?
8. How could planetary tides pull a small planet apart?
9. What is unusual about the surface of Venus?
10. What does Sagan believe would be necessary for the safety of the human race to be secured?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)