|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. William Herschel, the discoverer of Uranus, had what unusual profession?
2. According to Sagan, when viewed from space, how apparent would the existence of life on Earth be?
(b) Difficult to discern.
(c) Impossible to discern.
3. What visual resolution would be required to determine that humans are related to the intelligence on Earth?
(a) 1 meter.
(b) 10 cm.
(c) 1 cm.
(d) 10 meters.
4. What hazard threatened the Voyager craft in Sagan's plan to take a distant picture of Earth?
(a) Space dust.
(b) The Sun's rays.
(c) Cosmic rays.
5. What does Sagan suggest that cavemen were usually looking for when they wandered?
(a) New territory.
Short Answer Questions
1. How likely does Sagan think it is that the records on Voyager will eventually be found?
2. What planet did Sagan spend a great deal of time studying when an important space probe passed near it in 1976?
3. What form do the materials that planets emerge from take before they coalesce into proto-planets?
4. Kuiper discovered that Titan has what chemical vital to the development of life?
5. Where does Sagan think that life will most likely be eventually found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the distinguishing characteristics of the planet Uranus?
2. What is the problem of perspective in estimating the importance of human beings?
3. What seemingly important features of humanity does Sagan deny to be distinguishing?
4. How was Sagan involved in discoveries about Titan?
5. What planets had been explored by human beings, at the time of the writing of this book?
6. How could Dermott's calculations about Titan be confirmed?
7. What would be the first things an alien visitor to Earth would notice about the planet?
8. What undesirable features of human activity might be easily noticed from space?
9. What are the distinguishing characteristics of the moon Titan?
10. Why is it difficult to detect intelligent life on Earth?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)