|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sagan uses what term to describe a theology that requires God to intentionally mislead human scientists?
2. What major component of the Voyager craft was threatened in Sagan's plan to take a distant picture of Earth?
(a) The solar panel array.
(b) The spectral analyzer.
(c) The vidicon system.
(d) The telemetry antenna.
3. What material that humans have added to the environment would be easily detectable from space?
(c) Carbon dioxide.
4. Sagan helped to discover that Saturn provides what critical element to Titan?
(a) Tidal forces.
(c) A magnetosphere.
5. As of 1990, how many moons did the Voyager craft explore?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Neptune fall in the mission plan for the Voyager probes?
2. What concept does Sagan suggest that the image of the "pale blue dot" mocks?
3. Sagan says that which of the following is the most immediately obvious thing about the Earth?
4. What role does Sagan suggest that religion has played in the development of science?
5. What astronomical discovery did Galileo make that significantly damaged the geocentric theory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspects of science make it unappealing to some?
2. How could Dermott's calculations about Titan be confirmed?
3. What would the process of "terraforming" on Mars be like?
4. What would be the first things an alien visitor to Earth would notice about the planet?
5. What does Sagan want to see on Mars?
6. What is unusual about the surface of Venus?
7. How does Saga claim that human beings expressed their desire to wander as civilization grew?
8. What does Sagan believe about the intelligence of the Voyager spacecraft.
9. What location in the solar system either have or are believed to have once had volcanoes?
10. What profit motivations exist in a manned mission to Mars?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)