|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is one of the "great demotions" that Sagan cites?
(a) Light and magnetism are the same thing.
(b) There may have been life on Mars.
(c) The Earth is 6 billion years old.
(d) There are planets orbiting other stars.
2. How likely does Sagan think it is that the records on Voyager will eventually be found?
(a) It is almost impossible.
(b) It is reasonably likely.
(c) It is almost certain.
(d) It is unlikely.
3. Which planet was Voyager 2 intended to visit first?
4. Kuiper discovered that Titan has what chemical vital to the development of life?
5. What visual resolution would be required to determine the existence of intelligent life on Earth?
(a) 1,000 meters.
(b) 100 meters.
(c) 1 meter.
(d) 10 cm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Neptune's largest moon?
2. About how long does Sagan suggest that human beings have been "settled down"?
3. As of the writing of this book, how many moons was Uranus known to have?
4. When was Neptune discovered?
5. Titan orbits what planet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What undesirable features of human activity might be easily noticed from space?
2. What are the distinguishing characteristics of the moon Titan?
3. When this book was written, what was known about planets in other solar systems?
4. How was Sagan involved in discoveries about Titan?
5. How could Dermott's calculations about Titan be confirmed?
6. Why does Sagan believe that the image of the "pale blue dot" undermined the "imagined self-importance" of humanity?
7. What does the image of the "pale blue dot" suggest to Sagan?
8. What is the problem of perspective in estimating the importance of human beings?
9. How are the Voyager spacecraft able to travel quickly to distant planets?
10. What advantage make it more likely that the Voyager records will eventually be found?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)