|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Voyager probes found large amounts of what element on Titan?
2. What is notable about the stars in Sagan's distant picture of the Earth?
(a) They have many different colors.
(b) They appear very close.
(c) An immense number are visible.
(d) Very few are visible.
3. When was Neptune discovered?
4. Which of the following does Sagan NOT cite as evidence for the age of the universe?
(a) Telemetric spectrometry.
(b) Star evolution.
(c) Impact craters.
(d) Radioactive dating.
5. What is the constituent particle of light?
(a) The electron.
(b) The neutron.
(c) The neutrino.
(d) The photon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Uranus has an unusual field around it of what type?
2. What major change have humans made to the environment that would be easily detectable from space?
3. How does Sagan characterize NASA?
4. What is the most important thing that would immediately be apparent to any alien intelligence that found the Voyager probes?
5. What planet did Sagan spend a great deal of time studying when an important space probe passed near it in 1976?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could Dermott's calculations about Titan be confirmed?
2. As of 1990, what had the Voyager spacecraft achieved?
3. What does Sagan believe about the intelligence of the Voyager spacecraft.
4. What may have happened to other planets from the early solar system?
5. What was Sagan's involvement in the passage of Mars by the Viking probe?
6. What are the distinguishing characteristics of the planet Uranus?
7. What planets had been explored by human beings, at the time of the writing of this book?
8. What message do the Voyager craft carry with them from Earth?
9. What aspects of science make it unappealing to some?
10. What is the problem of perspective in estimating the importance of human beings?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)