|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The "great demotions" are changes in thinking about the status of what?
(a) The place of humanity in the universe.
(b) The dominance of religion.
(c) The age of the Earth.
(d) The body of human scientific work.
2. Which other nation besides the United States led the way in space exploration?
(c) The Soviet Union.
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the ways that Sagan says life seems to be?
4. At the time this book was written, how many planets were known to exist around other stars?
(c) About twenty.
(d) About fifty.
5. In Chapter 5 Sagan asks the reader to imagine that they are which of the following?
(a) An ancient person.
(b) An alien.
(c) A time traveler.
(d) An ant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment did Galileo suffer as a result of his works?
2. What criticism does Sagan make of NASA in Chapter 6, "The Triumph of Voyager"?
3. Sagan describes humans as which of the following, with respect to their arrival in the universe?
4. Sagan compares the human need for religion to what?
5. Which of the following is a major point opponents of space exploration raise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Saga say he is optimistic about the "human prospect"?
2. What does the image of the "pale blue dot" suggest to Sagan?
3. What are the "great demotions" that Sagan refers to?
4. How did ancient people know about the planets?
5. What undesirable features of human activity might be easily noticed from space?
6. What message do the Voyager craft carry with them from Earth?
7. What planets had been explored by human beings, at the time of the writing of this book?
8. What does Sagan believe about the intelligence of the Voyager spacecraft.
9. When this book was written, what was known about planets in other solar systems?
10. What problems does NASA face in pursuing its missions?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)