|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sagan characterize NASA?
(a) As a faceless and dispassionate monolith.
(b) As a ship without a tiller or rudder.
(c) As an aging bureaucracy.
(d) As part of the military-industrial complex.
2. Uranus has an unusual field around it of what type?
(c) Gamma rays.
3. Which of the following is one of the "great demotions" that Sagan cites?
(a) Light and magnetism are the same thing.
(b) There are planets orbiting other stars.
(c) The Earth is 6 billion years old.
(d) There may have been life on Mars.
4. Which planet was Voyager 2 intended to visit first?
5. One feature that Sagan suggests would be easier to detect that human intelligence would be flatulence from what kind of animal?
Short Answer Questions
1. As of the writing of this book, how many moons was Uranus known to have?
2. Sagan uses what term to describe a theology that requires God to intentionally mislead human scientists?
3. What other medium was used to express the desire to wander, according to Sagan, as human civilization developed?
4. What is the major difference between space exploration and human exploration in the past?
5. Einstein's work undermined what concept?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the distinguishing characteristics of the planet Uranus?
2. What are the distinguishing characteristics of the moon Titan?
3. How was Sagan involved in discoveries about Titan?
4. As of 1990, what had the Voyager spacecraft achieved?
5. How could Dermott's calculations about Titan be confirmed?
6. What dangers did the Voyager I spacecraft face in taking a distant picture of Earth?
7. Briefly describe the progress made to undermine the geocentric theory.
8. What problems does NASA face in pursuing its missions?
9. What does the Strong Anthropomorphic principle suggest?
10. What was Sagan's involvement in the passage of Mars by the Viking probe?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)