|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Neptune's largest moon?
2. What scientist is credited with making the first discoveries that caused problems for the geocentric theory?
3. In what way is Titan's cold atmosphere an advantage for the formation of life?
(a) It causes molecules to stay on its surface.
(b) It protects its inner core from tidal forces.
(c) It helps certain compounds form quickly.
(d) It provides shields the moon from solar rays.
4. Uranus has an unusual field around it of what type?
(c) Gamma rays.
5. What did Galileo demonstrate?
(a) The Sun is just a star.
(b) The stars are fixed.
(c) The moon does not orbit the Earth.
(d) The Earth is not the only planet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What planet did Sagan spend a great deal of time studying when an important space probe passed near it in 1976?
2. Which of the following is a major point opponents of space exploration raise?
3. Titan orbits what planet?
4. What innovation was crucial in discovering Titan?
5. What is notable about pictures taken of the Earth from the moon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the image of the "pale blue dot" suggest to Sagan?
2. What seemingly important features of humanity does Sagan deny to be distinguishing?
3. What does Sagan think about the failure of the Voyager probes to find life in the solar system?
4. What dangers did the Voyager I spacecraft face in taking a distant picture of Earth?
5. What undesirable features of human activity might be easily noticed from space?
6. When this book was written, what was known about planets in other solar systems?
7. What are the "great demotions" that Sagan refers to?
8. What was Sagan's involvement in the passage of Mars by the Viking probe?
9. Why is it difficult to detect intelligent life on Earth?
10. What message do the Voyager craft carry with them from Earth?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)