|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How well does Sagan say his typical audience handles the practical details of a Mars mission?
(a) They are well-connected and able to deal with the details.
(b) They are uninterested in the details.
(c) They are hopelessly incapable of dealing with them.
(d) They are meticulous thinkers on the subject.
2. Sagan cautions that the beliefs he endorses could lead to an overabundance of what?
3. What is an astronomical unit?
(a) The distance that light travels in one minute.
(b) The radius of the solar system.
(c) The distance from the sun to the Earth.
(d) The mean distance between stars.
4. What moon was found to have volcanoes?
5. What does Sagan say the rings of Saturn composed of?
(a) Chunks of destroyed planets.
(b) Discs of stone.
(c) Tiny ice worlds.
(d) Frozen methane clouds.
6. What type of missions does Sagan recommend in order to prepare to deal with Earth-bound asteroids?
(a) Asteroid landings.
(b) Extra-planetary manned missions.
(c) Meteor landings.
7. Which of the following characteristics of Venus is LEAST similar to Earth's?
8. What fuel source might be viable within asteroids?
(a) Bacteria byproducts.
(c) Organic solids.
9. Which of the following is one of the moons of Mars?
10. The atmosphere of Venus would best be described as which of the following?
11. Where does Sagan think it is most likely that life will be found on Mars?
(a) In the ice at the poles.
(b) On the surface.
(c) In salt caverns.
(d) In the subsurface rock.
12. What planet in the solar system obviously suffers from a severe greenhouse gas effect?
13. When was Venus first explored by a space probe?
14. What type of government is Sagan most opposed to?
15. What process would be critical to terraforming Mars?
(a) The Turing effect.
(b) The greenhouse cycle.
(d) Ozone catalyzing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main component of the atmosphere of Venus?
2. What is the primary distinguishing feature that SETI looks for to identify a communication from an intelligent source?
3. When does Sagan predict that anti-matter will be mass-manufactured?
4. About how large a percentage of the mass of the total universe does dark matter make up?
5. According to Sagan, how profitable is it for a nation to invest in space exploration?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)