|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hazard from nuclear weapons causes "nuclear winter"?
(a) Acid rain.
(b) Smoke particles in the upper atmosphere.
(c) Cloud scattering.
(d) The erosion of land after plant life is wiped out.
2. What planet is the "evening star"?
3. It is believed that some of Saturn's rings may eventually form into what?
4. What happens to the number of asteroids and comets in the solar system as time goes on?
(a) It remains about the same.
(b) It diminishes.
(c) Its change is unknown.
(d) It increases.
5. About how many channels does SETI search for signs of extraterrestrial communication on?
(a) One hundred.
(d) A few hundred.
6. Sagan discusses in detail a theory that Saturn's rings are caused by what effect?
(a) Ether condensation.
(b) Gravity waves.
(c) Cosmic perturbation.
(d) Planetary tides.
7. What is the acronym for the project within SETI that Sagan worked on?
8. What was the name of the mission that sent the first probes to Venus?
9. Sagan says that the dark matter that surrounds the Milky Way galaxy takes what shape?
(a) A column.
(b) A disk.
(c) A halo.
(d) A sphere.
10. Sagan suggests that ancient people did not think of the moon as which of the following?
(a) As a place.
(b) As having an opposite side.
(c) As moving.
(d) As a real object.
11. What is the farthest orbital location that humans have ventured to since the last time men went to the moon?
(a) Parking orbit.
(b) Low Earth orbit.
(c) High Earth orbit.
(d) Geosynchronous orbit.
12. CFCs are chemicals that is primarily hazardous to the environment in what area?
(a) The stratosphere.
(b) The ozone-layer.
(c) The biosphere.
(d) The lithosphere.
13. Why do some suggest capturing asteroids in Earth orbit?
(a) To use them as space stations.
(b) To study them.
(c) To use them as weapons.
(d) To mine them for resources.
14. What is the primary distinguishing feature that SETI looks for to identify a communication from an intelligent source?
(a) Prime Numbers.
(c) Design parameters.
(d) Mathematical constants.
15. What does Sagan say the rings of Saturn composed of?
(a) Discs of stone.
(b) Tiny ice worlds.
(c) Frozen methane clouds.
(d) Chunks of destroyed planets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of missions does Sagan recommend in order to prepare to deal with Earth-bound asteroids?
2. What characteristic of the atmosphere of Venus was initially impossible to explain?
3. What is the primary way that humans add carbon dioxide to the atmosphere?
4. What was the major result of the Cretaceous-Tertiary Collision?
5. When does Sagan predict that anti-matter will be mass-manufactured?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)