|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Sagan, what was the major advantage of the attitude of the government towards the Apollo project?
(a) Computers advanced in power rapidly.
(b) There was plenty of funding for space.
(c) Rocket science progressed quickly.
(d) New propulsion systems were developed.
2. The primary discipline that Sagan argues nations benefit from by investing in space exploration is called which of the following?
(a) Interstellar surveying.
(b) Planetary science.
(c) Atmospheric metrics.
(d) Gestalt geosurveying.
3. Mars apparently once had what resource?
(a) Oceans of hydrocarbons.
(b) Organic compounds.
(c) Ice sheets.
(d) Liquid water.
4. At the time this book was written, about how many asteroids were known to have paths that take them close to the Earth?
5. Sagan says that the moon was once understood as a symbol of which of the following?
(a) The unattainable.
6. About how large a percentage of the mass of the total universe does dark matter make up?
(a) Sixty percent.
(b) Five percent.
(c) Thirty percent.
(d) Ninety percent.
7. What is the acronym for the project within SETI that Sagan worked on?
8. What type of missions does Sagan recommend in order to prepare to deal with Earth-bound asteroids?
(a) Asteroid landings.
(b) Meteor landings.
(d) Extra-planetary manned missions.
9. Sagan says that the dark matter that surrounds the Milky Way galaxy takes what shape?
(a) A halo.
(b) A column.
(c) A sphere.
(d) A disk.
10. What was the name of the mission that sent the first probes to Venus?
11. Where does Sagan think it is most likely that life will be found on Mars?
(a) In the ice at the poles.
(b) In salt caverns.
(c) On the surface.
(d) In the subsurface rock.
12. What element does Sagan say motivated the space programs of the 60s and 70s?
(a) Scientific endeavor.
13. What was the major result of the Cretaceous-Tertiary Collision?
(a) An ice age.
(b) Mass extinction.
(c) Environmental shifts.
(d) The destruction of most plant life on the Earth.
14. Which of the following is NOT a major resource on Mars that makes it viable for "terraforming"?
(a) Calcium deposits.
(c) Carbon dioxide.
15. When was Venus first explored by a space probe?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Sagan think that the human race will be "on its way"?
2. What characteristic of the atmosphere of Venus was initially impossible to explain?
3. What hazard from nuclear weapons causes "nuclear winter"?
4. According to the plans Sagan discussed, how would nuclear weapons typically be used to stop an asteroid from colliding with the Earth?
5. What happens to the number of asteroids and comets in the solar system as time goes on?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)