|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the missions that observed Venus using radar telescopes?
2. At the time this book was written, how many Mars Observers had been flown successfully?
3. What characteristic of the atmosphere of Venus was initially impossible to explain?
(a) Its high winds.
(b) Its composition.
(c) Its dark spots.
(d) Its heat.
4. According to Sagan, how profitable is it for a nation to invest in space exploration?
(a) It has high costs.
(b) It is not related to a nation's welfare.
(c) It has great benefits in a limited scope.
(d) It is highly profitable.
5. When did a "disrupted" comet famously fall into Jupiter?
6. What type of government is Sagan most opposed to?
7. What does Martian soil seem to contain?
(a) Organic material.
8. How does Sagan characterize most of the benefits gleaned from the space programs of the 60s and 70s?
(a) They were relatively unimportant.
(b) They were intangible.
(c) They were unexpected.
(d) They were underestimated.
9. What was the major result of the Cretaceous-Tertiary Collision?
(a) An ice age.
(b) The destruction of most plant life on the Earth.
(c) Environmental shifts.
(d) Mass extinction.
10. When did the belief that Venus was a "sister planet" to Earth become dispelled?
(a) The mid twentieth century.
(b) The mid nineteenth century.
(c) The early twentieth century.
(d) The late nineteenth century.
11. Which of the following is NOT a major resource on Mars that makes it viable for "terraforming"?
(b) Carbon dioxide.
(d) Calcium deposits.
12. How far out does the solar corona die out?
(a) 5 AU.
(b) 550 AU.
(c) 1200 AU.
(d) 70 AU.
13. At the time this book was written, about how many asteroids were known to have paths that take them close to the Earth?
14. What type of asteroids does Sagan suggest that men might be able to live inside of?
(a) Short-period asteroids.
(b) Carbon asteroids.
(c) Silicon asteroids.
(d) Ice asteroids.
15. What hazard from nuclear weapons causes "nuclear winter"?
(a) Smoke particles in the upper atmosphere.
(b) Acid rain.
(c) Cloud scattering.
(d) The erosion of land after plant life is wiped out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the primary distinguishing feature that SETI looks for to identify a communication from an intelligent source?
2. The atmosphere of Venus would best be described as which of the following?
3. What type of Mars mission did President Reagan turn down?
4. Sagan worries about how societies of what type would handle the technology that could stop Earth-bound asteroids?
5. What does Sagan say the rings of Saturn composed of?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)