|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is one of the moons of Mars?
2. What is the acronym for the project within SETI that Sagan worked on?
3. How well does Sagan say his typical audience handles the practical details of a Mars mission?
(a) They are well-connected and able to deal with the details.
(b) They are uninterested in the details.
(c) They are meticulous thinkers on the subject.
(d) They are hopelessly incapable of dealing with them.
4. In what year did humans visit the moon for the last time?
5. At the time this book was written, how many Mars Observers had been flown successfully?
6. According to the plans Sagan discussed, how would nuclear weapons typically be used to stop an asteroid from colliding with the Earth?
(a) By splitting it in two.
(b) By destroying it completely.
(c) By pushing it off-course.
(d) By reversing its orbit.
7. What types of information does SETI analyze?
(a) Radio waves.
(b) Cosmic rays.
(c) Gravitational waves.
(d) Magnetic waves.
8. When was Venus first explored by a space probe?
9. Sagan says that the dark matter that surrounds the Milky Way galaxy takes what shape?
(a) A sphere.
(b) A disk.
(c) A halo.
(d) A column.
10. What characteristic of the atmosphere of Venus was initially impossible to explain?
(a) Its high winds.
(b) Its heat.
(c) Its composition.
(d) Its dark spots.
11. About how many channels does SETI search for signs of extraterrestrial communication on?
(a) A few hundred.
(d) One hundred.
12. What does Sagan say the rings of Saturn composed of?
(a) Frozen methane clouds.
(b) Tiny ice worlds.
(c) Discs of stone.
(d) Chunks of destroyed planets.
13. Sagan suggests that ancient people did not think of the moon as which of the following?
(a) As a real object.
(b) As moving.
(c) As a place.
(d) As having an opposite side.
14. What was the name of the mission that sent the first probes to Venus?
15. Sagan describes the "myth" that he believes should be created as centering around what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sagan worries about how societies of what type would handle the technology that could stop Earth-bound asteroids?
2. Mars apparently once had what resource?
3. It is believed that some of Saturn's rings may eventually form into what?
4. What type of asteroids does Sagan suggest that men might be able to live inside of?
5. What was the name of the second mission that sent probes into the atmosphere of Venus?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)