|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sagan describes the "myth" that he believes should be created as centering around what?
2. What type of asteroids does Sagan suggest that men might be able to live inside of?
(a) Ice asteroids.
(b) Short-period asteroids.
(c) Silicon asteroids.
(d) Carbon asteroids.
3. What element does Sagan say motivated the space programs of the 60s and 70s?
(a) Scientific endeavor.
4. Which of the following is NOT a major resource on Mars that makes it viable for "terraforming"?
(b) Calcium deposits.
(d) Carbon dioxide.
5. What is the main component of the atmosphere of Venus?
(a) Sulfuric acid.
(b) Quicklime gas.
6. The atmosphere of Venus would best be described as which of the following?
7. When does Sagan think that the human race will be "on its way"?
(a) When we begin colonizing other planets.
(b) When we reach another star.
(c) When we begin living in space.
(d) When we make contact with another intelligent species.
8. When did a "disrupted" comet famously fall into Jupiter?
9. CFCs are chemicals that is primarily hazardous to the environment in what area?
(a) The lithosphere.
(b) The ozone-layer.
(c) The stratosphere.
(d) The biosphere.
10. What is the primary distinguishing feature that SETI looks for to identify a communication from an intelligent source?
(a) Design parameters.
(b) Mathematical constants.
(d) Prime Numbers.
11. What types of information does SETI analyze?
(a) Radio waves.
(b) Gravitational waves.
(c) Magnetic waves.
(d) Cosmic rays.
12. How old are the terrain features generated by Venus' volcanoes?
(a) 1 billion years.
(b) 4 billion years.
(c) 2 billion years.
(d) 500 million years.
13. Sagan says that the dark matter that surrounds the Milky Way galaxy takes what shape?
(a) A column.
(b) A halo.
(c) A disk.
(d) A sphere.
14. When does Sagan predict that anti-matter will be mass-manufactured?
(a) The 23rd century.
(b) They late 21st century.
(c) The 22nd century.
(d) The early 21st century.
15. In what year did humans visit the moon for the last time?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the number of asteroids and comets in the solar system as time goes on?
2. Where was NASA's first SETI facility located?
3. What was the name of the second mission that sent probes into the atmosphere of Venus?
4. What hazard from nuclear weapons causes "nuclear winter"?
5. What country does Sagan believe is best suited for undertaking a terraforming effort?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)