|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hazard from nuclear weapons causes "nuclear winter"?
(a) The erosion of land after plant life is wiped out.
(b) Acid rain.
(c) Smoke particles in the upper atmosphere.
(d) Cloud scattering.
2. How far out does the solar corona die out?
(a) 5 AU.
(b) 70 AU.
(c) 550 AU.
(d) 1200 AU.
3. CFCs are chemicals that is primarily hazardous to the environment in what area?
(a) The stratosphere.
(b) The biosphere.
(c) The lithosphere.
(d) The ozone-layer.
4. How old are the terrain features generated by Venus' volcanoes?
(a) 500 million years.
(b) 4 billion years.
(c) 2 billion years.
(d) 1 billion years.
5. What was the major result of the Cretaceous-Tertiary Collision?
(a) Environmental shifts.
(b) Mass extinction.
(c) An ice age.
(d) The destruction of most plant life on the Earth.
6. Which of the following is NOT a major resource on Mars that makes it viable for "terraforming"?
(c) Calcium deposits.
(d) Carbon dioxide.
7. What type of missions does Sagan recommend in order to prepare to deal with Earth-bound asteroids?
(a) Asteroid landings.
(b) Meteor landings.
(d) Extra-planetary manned missions.
8. What moon was found to have volcanoes?
9. What was the name of the mission that sent the first probes to Venus?
10. What was the name of the second mission that sent probes into the atmosphere of Venus?
11. When does Sagan think that the human race will be "on its way"?
(a) When we reach another star.
(b) When we begin living in space.
(c) When we begin colonizing other planets.
(d) When we make contact with another intelligent species.
12. When does Sagan predict that anti-matter will be mass-manufactured?
(a) The early 21st century.
(b) The 23rd century.
(c) The 22nd century.
(d) They late 21st century.
13. What is the main component of the atmosphere of Venus?
(a) Quicklime gas.
(c) Sulfuric acid.
14. What type of Mars mission did President Reagan turn down?
(a) A robotic colony-building mission.
(b) A joint mission with the Soviets.
(c) A manned orbital mission.
(d) A one-way colonization mission.
15. Sagan suggests that the Apollo missions were primarily about what?
(a) Military strategy.
Short Answer Questions
1. The atmosphere of Venus would best be described as which of the following?
2. What type of government is Sagan most opposed to?
3. Mars apparently once had what resource?
4. Sagan cautions that the beliefs he endorses could lead to an overabundance of what?
5. Sagan estimates that intelligent life might arise on average in one out of how many stars?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)