|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was NASA's first SETI facility located?
(a) The Mojave desert.
(b) The Appalachian mountain range.
(c) The Sierra Nevada mountain range.
(d) The Nevada salt flats.
2. How are chunks of Martian rock studied on Earth?
(a) They fall to the Earth.
(b) They are returned by two-way probes.
(c) They are simulated with moon rocks.
(d) They are captured in space.
3. The primary discipline that Sagan argues nations benefit from by investing in space exploration is called which of the following?
(a) Planetary science.
(b) Interstellar surveying.
(c) Gestalt geosurveying.
(d) Atmospheric metrics.
4. Which of the following is NOT a major resource on Mars that makes it viable for "terraforming"?
(b) Carbon dioxide.
(d) Calcium deposits.
5. What country does Sagan believe is best suited for undertaking a terraforming effort?
(b) The European Union.
(c) The United States.
6. How does Sagan characterize most of the benefits gleaned from the space programs of the 60s and 70s?
(a) They were relatively unimportant.
(b) They were intangible.
(c) They were unexpected.
(d) They were underestimated.
7. Sagan suggests that the Apollo missions were primarily about what?
(c) Military strategy.
8. Which of the following is NOT one of the missions that observed Venus using radar telescopes?
9. How far out does the solar corona die out?
(a) 5 AU.
(b) 70 AU.
(c) 550 AU.
(d) 1200 AU.
10. In what year did humans visit the moon for the last time?
11. According to the plans Sagan discussed, how would nuclear weapons typically be used to stop an asteroid from colliding with the Earth?
(a) By reversing its orbit.
(b) By splitting it in two.
(c) By pushing it off-course.
(d) By destroying it completely.
12. What type of asteroids does Sagan suggest that men might be able to live inside of?
(a) Short-period asteroids.
(b) Ice asteroids.
(c) Carbon asteroids.
(d) Silicon asteroids.
13. What does Sagan believe about weapons of mass destruction?
(a) They must never used in anger.
(b) They should be tightly controlled.
(c) They are a necessary evil.
(d) They must be destroyed.
14. What is the acronym for the project within SETI that Sagan worked on?
15. How old are the terrain features generated by Venus' volcanoes?
(a) 4 billion years.
(b) 2 billion years.
(c) 1 billion years.
(d) 500 million years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the farthest orbital location that humans have ventured to since the last time men went to the moon?
2. At the time this book was written, about how many asteroids were known to have paths that take them close to the Earth?
3. Sagan says that the dark matter that surrounds the Milky Way galaxy takes what shape?
4. What was the name of the mission that sent the first probes to Venus?
5. What planet in the solar system obviously suffers from a severe greenhouse gas effect?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)