|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the farthest orbital location that humans have ventured to since the last time men went to the moon?
(a) Parking orbit.
(b) High Earth orbit.
(c) Geosynchronous orbit.
(d) Low Earth orbit.
2. What planet is the "evening star"?
3. Sagan discusses in detail a theory that Saturn's rings are caused by what effect?
(a) Gravity waves.
(b) Planetary tides.
(c) Ether condensation.
(d) Cosmic perturbation.
4. When does Sagan predict that anti-matter will be mass-manufactured?
(a) The 22nd century.
(b) They late 21st century.
(c) The 23rd century.
(d) The early 21st century.
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the missions that observed Venus using radar telescopes?
6. What process would be critical to terraforming Mars?
(a) The greenhouse cycle.
(b) Ozone catalyzing.
(c) The Turing effect.
7. According to Sagan, how profitable is it for a nation to invest in space exploration?
(a) It has great benefits in a limited scope.
(b) It has high costs.
(c) It is highly profitable.
(d) It is not related to a nation's welfare.
8. What planet in the solar system obviously suffers from a severe greenhouse gas effect?
9. What does Sagan say the rings of Saturn composed of?
(a) Discs of stone.
(b) Chunks of destroyed planets.
(c) Tiny ice worlds.
(d) Frozen methane clouds.
10. Which of the following characteristics of Venus is LEAST similar to Earth's?
11. Sagan suggests that the Apollo missions were primarily about what?
(b) Military strategy.
12. According to the plans Sagan discussed, how would nuclear weapons typically be used to stop an asteroid from colliding with the Earth?
(a) By pushing it off-course.
(b) By splitting it in two.
(c) By reversing its orbit.
(d) By destroying it completely.
13. Sagan says that the dark matter that surrounds the Milky Way galaxy takes what shape?
(a) A column.
(b) A halo.
(c) A disk.
(d) A sphere.
14. What was the name of the mission that sent the first probes to Venus?
15. When did NASA's SETI program go online?
Short Answer Questions
1. What hazard from nuclear weapons causes "nuclear winter"?
2. How are chunks of Martian rock studied on Earth?
3. What is the acronym for the project within SETI that Sagan worked on?
4. When did a "disrupted" comet famously fall into Jupiter?
5. Mars apparently once had what resource?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)