|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The primary discipline that Sagan argues nations benefit from by investing in space exploration is called which of the following?
(a) Interstellar surveying.
(b) Gestalt geosurveying.
(c) Atmospheric metrics.
(d) Planetary science.
2. About how many channels does SETI search for signs of extraterrestrial communication on?
(a) A few hundred.
(d) One hundred.
3. How are chunks of Martian rock studied on Earth?
(a) They are simulated with moon rocks.
(b) They fall to the Earth.
(c) They are captured in space.
(d) They are returned by two-way probes.
4. Where does Sagan think it is most likely that life will be found on Mars?
(a) On the surface.
(b) In the subsurface rock.
(c) In the ice at the poles.
(d) In salt caverns.
5. When did the belief that Venus was a "sister planet" to Earth become dispelled?
(a) The early twentieth century.
(b) The mid twentieth century.
(c) The mid nineteenth century.
(d) The late nineteenth century.
6. What types of information does SETI analyze?
(a) Gravitational waves.
(b) Radio waves.
(c) Cosmic rays.
(d) Magnetic waves.
7. What did Steven Hawking worry about with regard to black holes?
(a) That they were growing larger with time.
(b) That there were varied types of them.
(c) That they could tear space-time.
(d) That they could migrate into the solar system.
8. What is the primary way that humans add carbon dioxide to the atmosphere?
(a) Heavy industry byproducts.
(b) Drilling for natural gas and oil.
(c) Carburetor emissions.
(d) Burning fossil fuels.
9. In what year did humans visit the moon for the last time?
10. What does Sagan believe about weapons of mass destruction?
(a) They should be tightly controlled.
(b) They must never used in anger.
(c) They are a necessary evil.
(d) They must be destroyed.
11. Which of the following is NOT a major resource on Mars that makes it viable for "terraforming"?
(a) Calcium deposits.
(d) Carbon dioxide.
12. Why do some suggest capturing asteroids in Earth orbit?
(a) To mine them for resources.
(b) To use them as space stations.
(c) To use them as weapons.
(d) To study them.
13. What planet in the solar system obviously suffers from a severe greenhouse gas effect?
14. How old are the terrain features generated by Venus' volcanoes?
(a) 4 billion years.
(b) 500 million years.
(c) 1 billion years.
(d) 2 billion years.
15. CFCs are chemicals that is primarily hazardous to the environment in what area?
(a) The stratosphere.
(b) The lithosphere.
(c) The ozone-layer.
(d) The biosphere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic of the atmosphere of Venus was initially impossible to explain?
2. Why does Sagan say that Mars is a more desirable target for human exploration than the moon?
3. Which of the following characteristics of Venus is LEAST similar to Earth's?
4. What is the farthest orbital location that humans have ventured to since the last time men went to the moon?
5. Sagan says that the dark matter that surrounds the Milky Way galaxy takes what shape?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)