|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the acronym for the project within SETI that Sagan worked on?
2. What country does Sagan believe is best suited for undertaking a terraforming effort?
(a) The European Union.
(d) The United States.
3. What process would be critical to terraforming Mars?
(a) The Turing effect.
(c) Ozone catalyzing.
(d) The greenhouse cycle.
4. How are chunks of Martian rock studied on Earth?
(a) They fall to the Earth.
(b) They are captured in space.
(c) They are returned by two-way probes.
(d) They are simulated with moon rocks.
5. At the time this book was written, how many Mars Observers had been flown successfully?
6. When did the belief that Venus was a "sister planet" to Earth become dispelled?
(a) The early twentieth century.
(b) The mid nineteenth century.
(c) The late nineteenth century.
(d) The mid twentieth century.
7. When was Venus first explored by a space probe?
8. What does Sagan believe about weapons of mass destruction?
(a) They must never used in anger.
(b) They should be tightly controlled.
(c) They are a necessary evil.
(d) They must be destroyed.
9. How far out does the solar corona die out?
(a) 5 AU.
(b) 70 AU.
(c) 1200 AU.
(d) 550 AU.
10. Sagan worries about how societies of what type would handle the technology that could stop Earth-bound asteroids?
11. What planet in the solar system obviously suffers from a severe greenhouse gas effect?
12. What hazard from nuclear weapons causes "nuclear winter"?
(a) Smoke particles in the upper atmosphere.
(b) Cloud scattering.
(c) The erosion of land after plant life is wiped out.
(d) Acid rain.
13. How well does Sagan say his typical audience handles the practical details of a Mars mission?
(a) They are well-connected and able to deal with the details.
(b) They are uninterested in the details.
(c) They are hopelessly incapable of dealing with them.
(d) They are meticulous thinkers on the subject.
14. Which of the following is NOT a major resource on Mars that makes it viable for "terraforming"?
(b) Calcium deposits.
(c) Carbon dioxide.
15. Sagan says that the dark matter that surrounds the Milky Way galaxy takes what shape?
(a) A halo.
(b) A disk.
(c) A sphere.
(d) A column.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the major result of the Cretaceous-Tertiary Collision?
2. Where was NASA's first SETI facility located?
3. What element does Sagan say motivated the space programs of the 60s and 70s?
4. Which of the following planets is NOT known to have a ring system?
5. When did a "disrupted" comet famously fall into Jupiter?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)