|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is believed that some of Saturn's rings may eventually form into what?
2. Sagan estimates that intelligent life might arise on average in one out of how many stars?
(a) One trillion.
(b) One billion.
(c) Ten thousand.
(d) One million.
3. According to Sagan, how profitable is it for a nation to invest in space exploration?
(a) It has high costs.
(b) It has great benefits in a limited scope.
(c) It is not related to a nation's welfare.
(d) It is highly profitable.
4. According to the plans Sagan discussed, how would nuclear weapons typically be used to stop an asteroid from colliding with the Earth?
(a) By destroying it completely.
(b) By reversing its orbit.
(c) By pushing it off-course.
(d) By splitting it in two.
5. Which of the following characteristics of Venus is LEAST similar to Earth's?
6. Why do some suggest capturing asteroids in Earth orbit?
(a) To use them as space stations.
(b) To mine them for resources.
(c) To use them as weapons.
(d) To study them.
7. What is the main component of the atmosphere of Venus?
(c) Quicklime gas.
(d) Sulfuric acid.
8. How does Sagan characterize most of the benefits gleaned from the space programs of the 60s and 70s?
(a) They were underestimated.
(b) They were intangible.
(c) They were relatively unimportant.
(d) They were unexpected.
9. What is the primary distinguishing feature that SETI looks for to identify a communication from an intelligent source?
(a) Mathematical constants.
(b) Prime Numbers.
(d) Design parameters.
10. When was Venus first explored by a space probe?
11. Which of the following is NOT a major resource on Mars that makes it viable for "terraforming"?
(a) Carbon dioxide.
(c) Calcium deposits.
12. Which of the following is NOT one of the missions that observed Venus using radar telescopes?
13. What is the farthest orbital location that humans have ventured to since the last time men went to the moon?
(a) Low Earth orbit.
(b) High Earth orbit.
(c) Geosynchronous orbit.
(d) Parking orbit.
14. What was the name of the second mission that sent probes into the atmosphere of Venus?
15. What is the acronym for the project within SETI that Sagan worked on?
Short Answer Questions
1. What planet in the solar system obviously suffers from a severe greenhouse gas effect?
2. What is the primary way that humans add carbon dioxide to the atmosphere?
3. Sagan says that the dark matter that surrounds the Milky Way galaxy takes what shape?
4. When did the belief that Venus was a "sister planet" to Earth become dispelled?
5. At the time this book was written, how many Mars Observers had been flown successfully?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)