|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The records on the Voyager craft are most like what type of information storage method?
(a) A telegraph code.
(b) Magnetic data storage.
(c) A phonograph.
2. What astronomical discovery did Galileo make that significantly damaged the geocentric theory?
(a) Planets move in ellipses.
(b) Jupiter has its own moons.
(c) Gravity moves the planets.
(d) Stars are stationary relative to the Earth.
3. Sagan suggest that modern religious thinking treats scientific evidence in what way?
(a) It is cautious about the evidence.
(b) It makes no statements about the evidence.
(c) It intrudes on the evidence.
(d) It blatantly disregards the evidence.
4. Sagan believes that Titan hosts oceans made of what compound?
(c) Saturated salts.
5. What is notable about the stars in Sagan's distant picture of the Earth?
(a) They appear very close.
(b) An immense number are visible.
(c) They have many different colors.
(d) Very few are visible.
6. Which of the following is NOT one of the ways that early planets may have been made incapable of bearing life?
(a) Falling into the sun.
(b) Being pushed into a distant orbit.
(c) Being heavily bombarded by meteors.
(d) Being thrown into outer space.
7. When was Neptune discovered?
8. In Chapter 5 Sagan asks the reader to imagine that they are which of the following?
(a) An ancient person.
(b) An ant.
(c) A time traveler.
(d) An alien.
9. Sagan compares the human need for religion to what?
(a) A man's need for water.
(b) An injured person's need for aid.
(c) An infant's need for a parent.
(d) A blind person's need for a cane.
10. What scientist is credited with making the first discoveries that caused problems for the geocentric theory?
11. What punishment did Galileo suffer as a result of his works?
(a) He was put under permanent house arrest.
(b) He was imprisoned for life.
(c) He was burned at the stake.
(d) He was beheaded.
12. One feature that Sagan suggests would be easier to detect that human intelligence would be flatulence from what kind of animal?
13. What is the constituent particle of light?
(a) The neutron.
(b) The neutrino.
(c) The electron.
(d) The photon.
14. Uranus has an unusual field around it of what type?
(d) Gamma rays.
15. Which planet was Voyager 2 intended to visit first?
Short Answer Questions
1. What space probe was an important part of Sagan's career, and passed by a major planet in 1976?
2. Einstein's work undermined what concept?
3. Sagan uses what term to describe a theology that requires God to intentionally mislead human scientists?
4. Sagan expects both Voyager spacecrafts to continue to broadcast data through what year?
5. Who helped Sagan calculate that Titan should be host to oceans?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)