Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most important thing that would immediately be apparent to any alien intelligence that found the Voyager probes?
(a) The human DNA sequence.
(b) That the probes were intelligently designed.
(c) The location of Earth.
(d) How to decode the records.
2. What does Neptune's moon have less of compared to Titan?
3. Sagan suggests that throughout history, many have claimed that our species is what?
(c) Essentially good.
4. What is Neptune's largest moon?
5. Who was the first to discover moons around another planet?
6. What was Neptune's position in the solar system as of the writing of this book?
(a) It was last.
(b) It's position was uncertain.
(c) It was the last known planet.
(d) It was third to last.
7. When were the Voyager spacecraft launched?
8. Titan orbits what planet?
9. What other medium was used to express the desire to wander, according to Sagan, as human civilization developed?
10. Which of the following is NOT one of the major unknowns that Sagan says he will address in this book?
(a) What humanity's future is.
(b) How humans can explore space.
(c) Whether or not there is intelligent life on nearby planets.
(d) Why humans should explore space.
11. How likely does Sagan think it is that the records on Voyager will eventually be found?
(a) It is reasonably likely.
(b) It is unlikely.
(c) It is almost impossible.
(d) It is almost certain.
12. As of 1990, how many moons did the Voyager craft explore?
13. The Voyager probes found large amounts of what element on Titan?
14. Sagan helped to discover that Saturn provides what critical element to Titan?
(a) Tidal forces.
(b) A magnetosphere.
15. What type of waves could be analyzed to demonstrate that there is intelligent life on Earth?
(b) Ultraviolet waves.
(c) Cosmic waves.
(d) Radio waves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sagan expects both Voyager spacecrafts to continue to broadcast data through what year?
2. What punishment did Galileo suffer as a result of his works?
3. Which planet was Voyager 2 intended to visit first?
4. How does Sagan say that science relates to the existence of a divine being?
5. The records on the Voyager craft are most like what type of information storage method?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)