|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As of 1990, how many moons did the Voyager craft explore?
2. How likely does Sagan think it is that the records on Voyager will eventually be found?
(a) It is reasonably likely.
(b) It is unlikely.
(c) It is almost certain.
(d) It is almost impossible.
3. Sagan compares the human need for religion to what?
(a) An injured person's need for aid.
(b) A blind person's need for a cane.
(c) An infant's need for a parent.
(d) A man's need for water.
4. What is notable about the stars in Sagan's distant picture of the Earth?
(a) Very few are visible.
(b) They appear very close.
(c) They have many different colors.
(d) An immense number are visible.
5. According to Sagan, how do early Earth and Titan compare?
(a) They are similar.
(b) They are only vaguely related.
(c) They are totally different.
(d) They are almost exactly the same.
6. What role does Sagan suggest that religion has played in the development of science?
(a) Science progressed in spite of religion.
(b) Religion has aided science in significant ways.
(c) Religiously-minded individuals often become scientists.
(d) Religion informs and guides scientific development.
7. Sagan believes that Titan hosts oceans made of what compound?
(c) Saturated salts.
8. What is notable about the Sun's light in Sagan's distant picture of the Earth?
(a) It creates a halo around the Earth.
(b) It appears as many distinct shafts of light.
(c) It is extremely dim.
(d) It appears to bathe the Earth in light.
9. The "great demotions" are changes in thinking about the status of what?
(a) The dominance of religion.
(b) The place of humanity in the universe.
(c) The body of human scientific work.
(d) The age of the Earth.
10. Conditions of what type were extremely important in the creation of early life on Earth?
11. How much bigger is Neptune than Earth?
(a) Two hundred times.
(b) A hundred times.
(c) Four times.
(d) Forty times.
12. What does Sagan say is an easy way to visually identify planets?
(a) Their size.
(b) Their movements.
(c) Their brightness.
(d) The color of their atmospheres.
13. Sagan expects both Voyager spacecrafts to continue to broadcast data through what year?
14. When probes enter the atmospheres of other planets, what color do they often see the sky to be?
15. Which of the following is one of the "great demotions" that Sagan cites?
(a) The Earth is 6 billion years old.
(b) There may have been life on Mars.
(c) Light and magnetism are the same thing.
(d) There are planets orbiting other stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sagan helped to discover that Saturn provides what critical element to Titan?
2. Which other nation besides the United States led the way in space exploration?
3. Uranus has an unusual field around it of what type?
4. What is one trait of human beings that Sagan cites as being responsible for our belief in our importance in the universe?
5. Many of organic molecules arrived on Earth from what source?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)