|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, The Gift of Apollo, Chapter 14, Exploring Other Worlds and Protecting This One.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the major unknowns that Sagan says he will address in this book?
(a) What humanity's future is.
(b) Why humans should explore space.
(c) Whether or not there is intelligent life on nearby planets.
(d) How humans can explore space.
2. What visual resolution would be required to determine that humans are related to the intelligence on Earth?
(a) 1 meter.
(b) 10 cm.
(c) 1 cm.
(d) 10 meters.
3. What did ancient people notice about planets that set them apart from the stars?
(a) They had complex motions and were not fixed.
(b) They grew closer from time to time.
(c) They were much larger.
(d) They had unique colors.
4. What hazard from nuclear weapons causes "nuclear winter"?
(a) The erosion of land after plant life is wiped out.
(b) Acid rain.
(c) Smoke particles in the upper atmosphere.
(d) Cloud scattering.
5. Sagan describes humans as which of the following, with respect to their arrival in the universe?
(a) Middling achievers.
(b) Early adopters.
(c) Slow movers.
(d) Extreme latecomers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much bigger is Neptune than Earth?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the ways that Sagan says life seems to be?
3. Sagan suggest that modern religious thinking treats scientific evidence in what way?
4. What planet represents the farthest distance from Earth that the Voyager craft were intended to function at?
5. Which planet was Voyager 2 intended to visit first?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)