|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Great Demotions, Chapter 4, A Universe Not Made For Us.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Geocentric theory state?
(a) The Earth is a flat disc.
(b) The sun moves around the Earth.
(c) The Earth moves in a perfect circle.
(d) The planets and heavens are all fixed.
2. What punishment did Galileo suffer as a result of his works?
(a) He was beheaded.
(b) He was burned at the stake.
(c) He was imprisoned for life.
(d) He was put under permanent house arrest.
3. About how long does Sagan suggest that human beings have been "settled down"?
(a) 100,000 years.
(b) 1,000 years.
(c) 10,000 years.
(d) 50,000 years.
4. The "great demotions" are changes in thinking about the status of what?
(a) The age of the Earth.
(b) The place of humanity in the universe.
(c) The body of human scientific work.
(d) The dominance of religion.
5. Sagan suggests that throughout history, many have claimed that our species is what?
(c) Essentially good.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did ancient people notice about planets that set them apart from the stars?
2. What strange motion do all of the stars in the sky exhibit?
3. What hazard threatened the Voyager craft in Sagan's plan to take a distant picture of Earth?
4. What is the constituent particle of light?
5. As of 1990, how many planets did the Voyager craft explore?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)