|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Great Demotions, Chapter 4, A Universe Not Made For Us.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did ancient people notice about planets that set them apart from the stars?
(a) They were much larger.
(b) They grew closer from time to time.
(c) They had complex motions and were not fixed.
(d) They had unique colors.
2. Sagan suggest that modern religious thinking treats scientific evidence in what way?
(a) It makes no statements about the evidence.
(b) It is cautious about the evidence.
(c) It intrudes on the evidence.
(d) It blatantly disregards the evidence.
3. What strange motion do all of the stars in the sky exhibit?
(a) They move in identical tiny ellipses.
(b) They appear to drift towards the Earth.
(c) They change directions randomly.
(d) They tend to move towards each other.
4. What is the constituent particle of light?
(a) The neutrino.
(b) The photon.
(c) The neutron.
(d) The electron.
5. What is notable about the stars in Sagan's distant picture of the Earth?
(a) Very few are visible.
(b) An immense number are visible.
(c) They have many different colors.
(d) They appear very close.
Short Answer Questions
1. As of 1990, how many moons did the Voyager craft explore?
2. What is one trait of human beings that Sagan cites as being responsible for our belief in our importance in the universe?
3. What astronomical discovery did Galileo make that significantly damaged the geocentric theory?
4. What does the Geocentric theory state?
5. Which of the following is a major point opponents of space exploration raise?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)