|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Great Demotions, Chapter 4, A Universe Not Made For Us.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sagan claim is the key element of humanity's future?
(a) Distant worlds.
(b) Deep space travel.
(c) Faster than light travel.
2. The "great demotions" are changes in thinking about the status of what?
(a) The place of humanity in the universe.
(b) The age of the Earth.
(c) The dominance of religion.
(d) The body of human scientific work.
3. How fast was Voyager I moving in 1990?
(a) 40,000 mph.
(b) 1,000 mph.
(c) 500 mph.
(d) 10,000 mph.
4. What fault does Sagan admit that science has?
(a) It fails to uplift human spirits.
(b) It can only develop theories, not laws.
(c) It is marred by human perception and arrogance.
(d) It is always inaccurate.
5. What planet represents the farthest distance from Earth that the Voyager craft were intended to function at?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sagan, which of the following was the most notable historical tool that humans used to explore the world?
2. What role does Sagan suggest that religion has played in the development of science?
3. What punishment did Galileo suffer as a result of his works?
4. Which of the following does Sagan NOT cite as evidence for the age of the universe?
5. What means does Sagan suggest that humans use to represent and express their desire to wander?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)