|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Evening and Morning Star, Chapter 12, The Ground Melts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Earth will most likely lose contact with the Voyager probes when what happens?
(a) They reach the Kuiper belt.
(b) Their radio transmitters die.
(c) Their solar cells die.
(d) They pass the troposphere.
2. What form do the materials that planets emerge from take before they coalesce into proto-planets?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A star.
(c) A disc.
(d) A sphere.
3. What scientist is credited with making the first discoveries that caused problems for the geocentric theory?
4. What scientist is well-known for writing about the differences between species of animals?
5. When did the belief that Venus was a "sister planet" to Earth become dispelled?
(a) The mid nineteenth century.
(b) The late nineteenth century.
(c) The mid twentieth century.
(d) The early twentieth century.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major component of the Voyager craft was threatened in Sagan's plan to take a distant picture of Earth?
2. Sagan says that which of the following is the most immediately obvious thing about the Earth?
3. What was the name of the second mission that sent probes into the atmosphere of Venus?
4. Which of the following does Sagan NOT cite as evidence for the age of the universe?
5. How does Sagan characterize NASA?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)