|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, The Gates of the Wonder World Open, Chapter 16, Scaling Heaven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does Sagan suggest that religion has played in the development of science?
(a) Religiously-minded individuals often become scientists.
(b) Science progressed in spite of religion.
(c) Religion informs and guides scientific development.
(d) Religion has aided science in significant ways.
2. Where does Sagan think it is most likely that life will be found on Mars?
(a) On the surface.
(b) In salt caverns.
(c) In the ice at the poles.
(d) In the subsurface rock.
3. Where does Sagan think that life will most likely be eventually found?
(a) Deep space.
(c) Earth-like planets around other stars.
(d) A moon in the solar system.
4. How does Sagan characterize most of the benefits gleaned from the space programs of the 60s and 70s?
(a) They were relatively unimportant.
(b) They were intangible.
(c) They were underestimated.
(d) They were unexpected.
5. When probes enter the atmospheres of other planets, what color do they often see the sky to be?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Neptune discovered?
2. Sagan uses what term to describe a theology that requires God to intentionally mislead human scientists?
3. How does Sagan say that science relates to the existence of a divine being?
4. How likely does Sagan think it is that the records on Voyager will eventually be found?
5. What scientist is well-known for writing about the differences between species of animals?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)