|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What argument does Summer use to convince Delphi not to shoot Al and Dirk inside the seamount?
2. Who is Summer's mother?
3. How does SN Farris react to the battle raging around him on the Martha Ann?
4. What is the Joint Chiefs' decision on what to do with the Starbuck?
5. Dirk and Al leave the rescue team to salvage the Starbuck while they go to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
2. What are ADM Hunter and Dirk Pitt's differing opinions on Adrian?
3. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
4. In his description of the attack, Dirk notices something significant that could immeasurably assist the crew of the Martha Ann to prevent the boarding of the men from the sea. What is it and how could it be turned into an opportunity for the crew?
5. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
6. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
7. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
8. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the Martha Ann?
9. What is Delphi's plan for the Starbuck?
10. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
ADM Hunter says, "I'll not confuse the issue with a personal problem," in response to Dirk's question as to whether he has informed the men plotting to blow up the seamount that his daughter is being held hostage there. How does this statement capture the essence of ADM Hunter's character throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Dirk refers to the salvage operations on the Thresher, the Bluefin, the Scorpion, and the submarine F-4. What are these boats or ships and what happened to them? How are they relevant to the sinking (and raising) of the Starbuck?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Captain Orl Cinana. Captain Cinana's reaction to Dirk when he arrives in ADM Hunter's office for the first time is somewhat markedly different from the attitudes of the others yet changes that same evening at the bar. Identify other inconsistencies in Cinana's character and identify how they fit with the revelation of Cinana's actual role in the plot.
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)