|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Boland's reaction to the news that March is dead?
2. Why does Delphi let SN Farris live?
3. What smell does Dirk suddenly recognize as the fog begins to envelop the Martha Ann?
4. Who does Dirk finally meet during Their attack on him and Adrian?
5. What replacement weapon does Dirk grab after having expended his single shot weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides Dirk's lost love, what does Summer represent to the Navy and why would it have been important to rescue her?
2. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
3. What are ADM Hunter and Dirk Pitt's differing opinions on Adrian?
4. What is Delphi's plan for the Starbuck?
5. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
6. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the Martha Ann? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
7. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
8. In his description of the attack, Dirk notices something significant that could immeasurably assist the crew of the Martha Ann to prevent the boarding of the men from the sea. What is it and how could it be turned into an opportunity for the crew?
9. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
10. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the concept the title embodies. Things to consider in your response: What is the REAL "pacific vortex"? How does it compare to the Pacific Vortex that Cussler describes? How does it compare to the Bermuda Triangle? Is "vortex" a good name for or description of the activities at Delphi's seamount? In other words, have the sailors in the book come up with an appropriate name? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Pacific Vortex! is the first Dirk Pitt novel Clive Cussler wrote (even though it is published much later, after several other Pitt adventures) and indeed it shows signs of being a novice attempt. The character development is somewhat sporadic, there are questions or plot mysteries that are later left unanswered and some scenes that almost seem extraneous which are only loosely tied together by the final explanation. Characterize some of these "novice" elements using firm examples from the book. At the end, is there anything you wondered, "yes, but what about...?" How could Cussler have woven these plot threads or characters more tightly into the fabric of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Dirk Pitt's National Underwater and Marine Agency actually exists. Clive Cussler founded it and it is run by himself and his son. What are the differences between the real NUMA and Dirk Pitt's NUMA? How are the character of Dirk Pitt and his NUMA representative of perhaps a deep seeded fantasy for the author, things he would really like to do and have exist? Are perhaps some of the events in the story autobiographical or merely a dream?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)