|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. Where does Dirk land the helicopter after evacuating the Martha Ann?
3. Who is Al Giordino?
4. How does Adrian escape when the men from the sea come ashore and kill her friend?
5. Who are the two men waiting for Dirk in the torpedo room as he tries to escape the submarine with SN Farris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
2. How do Dirk and LCDR Boland differ over how to wage battle against the men from the sea as they face impending attack on the Martha Ann?
3. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
4. Besides Dirk's lost love, what does Summer represent to the Navy and why would it have been important to rescue her?
5. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
6. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
7. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
8. In his description of the attack, Dirk notices something significant that could immeasurably assist the crew of the Martha Ann to prevent the boarding of the men from the sea. What is it and how could it be turned into an opportunity for the crew?
9. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
10. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you characterize Cussler's writing style in Pacific Vortex? Analyze all of the elements of writing style including the perspective, bias, structure, diction and syntax, imagery, etc. Is this a laudable first effort on Cussler's part? Is there perhaps a stylistic reason it is not the first published book?
Essay Topic 2
ADM Hunter's view of and reactions to Dirk will drive certain parts of the plot, especially towards the end of the book. How does ADM Hunter's view of Dirk change throughout the book? Cite specific examples of change moments. Where or to what do these changes lead?
Essay Topic 3
Review the excerpts in Chapter 2 with the knowledge from Chapter 8 that the log is not written by CDR Dupree. What are some oddities, some of them enumerated by ADM Hunter, that clearly show a lack of knowledge about the Navy, submarines, or Dupree, that would have triggered skepticism if not read with the preconceived notion that the log is authentic?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)