|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
2. Who wakes up Dirk after he reaches his hotel room and falls asleep after leaving the hospital?
3. What s the first indication that the Martha Ann is in danger at the beginning of Chapter 11?
4. What does Dirk do for Al's injured hand?
5. What is Boland's reaction to the news that March is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
2. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
3. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
4. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
5. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
6. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
7. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
8. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
9. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
10. Besides Dirk's lost love, what does Summer represent to the Navy and why would it have been important to rescue her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the Martha Ann gets underway, headed towards the Pacific Vortex, Dirk reflects on the unusual group of people he has been mixed up within the last two days. What do his reflections on these people reveal about his thoughts on this mission? Do his summaries of the people seem to be roughly accurate?
Essay Topic 2
ADM Sandecker tells Dirk, "an enemy agent wouldn't have to use muscle [on you]. They'd simply send their most seductive Mata Hari to the nearest bar and let you pick her up." What does this statement mean and what is the inference being made about Dirk's character? Analyze this statement in the context of all you know about the character of Dirk Pitt. Does it seem to be a fair or consistent statement? Provide evidence from the book to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Carefully analyze the "real" condition of the Starbuck with respect to international maritime law. Whose waters is she sitting in and who can rightfully claim her? How do the laws of maritime salvage govern this kind of at-sea loss? Most importantly, how does this contribute to the urgency and top-secretiveness in the plot?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)