|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been Delphi's informant in the Navy?
2. How does Crowhaven manage to get in touch with ADM Hunter?
3. Why does Delphi let SN Farris live?
4. How does the Starbuck break free of the ocean floor?
5. When Dirk meets Delphi in his underwater caves, how much time is left before the seamount explodes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are ADM Hunter and Dirk Pitt's differing opinions on Adrian?
2. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the Martha Ann? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
3. How do Dirk and LCDR Boland differ over how to wage battle against the men from the sea as they face impending attack on the Martha Ann?
4. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
5. Besides Dirk's lost love, what does Summer represent to the Navy and why would it have been important to rescue her?
6. In his description of the attack, Dirk notices something significant that could immeasurably assist the crew of the Martha Ann to prevent the boarding of the men from the sea. What is it and how could it be turned into an opportunity for the crew?
7. What is Delphi's plan for the Starbuck?
8. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
9. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
10. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
ADM Hunter's view of and reactions to Dirk will drive certain parts of the plot, especially towards the end of the book. How does ADM Hunter's view of Dirk change throughout the book? Cite specific examples of change moments. Where or to what do these changes lead?
Essay Topic 2
Carefully analyze the "real" condition of the Starbuck with respect to international maritime law. Whose waters is she sitting in and who can rightfully claim her? How do the laws of maritime salvage govern this kind of at-sea loss? Most importantly, how does this contribute to the urgency and top-secretiveness in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How would you characterize Cussler's writing style in Pacific Vortex? Analyze all of the elements of writing style including the perspective, bias, structure, diction and syntax, imagery, etc. Is this a laudable first effort on Cussler's part? Is there perhaps a stylistic reason it is not the first published book?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)