|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two men waiting for Dirk in the torpedo room as he tries to escape the submarine with SN Farris?
2. How long has the giant with the golden eyes been keeping tabs on Dirk's activities?
3. The Martha Ann has 20 feet of freeboard, making attack from the surface difficult according to LCDR Boland. What is freeboard?
4. How does Frederick Moran die?
5. What is the Joint Chiefs' decision on what to do with the Starbuck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
2. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
3. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
4. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
5. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
6. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
7. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
8. How do Dirk and LCDR Boland differ over how to wage battle against the men from the sea as they face impending attack on the Martha Ann?
9. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
10. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
ADM Hunter's view of and reactions to Dirk will drive certain parts of the plot, especially towards the end of the book. How does ADM Hunter's view of Dirk change throughout the book? Cite specific examples of change moments. Where or to what do these changes lead?
Essay Topic 2
Quote from CDR Burdette Denver: "Piracy on the high seas went out with the manufacture of cutlasses." Is this actually a true statement? Is piracy a possible or probable explanation for the Pacific Vortex? Provide evidence both from the book and from independent research to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Everything in the submarine seems to indicate that someone is actively maintaining the vessel or at least "picked up afterwards." It seems an obvious inference that there might be someone still on the ship. Yet Dirk and LT March press ahead assuming it is a ghost ship. What might be some reasons for that? Psychological? Other evidence to the contrary? Stubbornness or at least reckless disregard for prudence?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)