|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the current that injures Dirk and Al?
2. What is holding the Starbuck down?
3. What is the rescue schedule for the Starbuck when Dirk, Al and the Navy team return to the Pacifc Vortex?
4. What is the size of the school of fish the Martha Ann's sensors detect as they prepare to escape the Pacific Vortex area?
5. How does Dirk discover LT March after he realizes they are not alone on the submarine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
2. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
3. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
4. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
5. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
6. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
7. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
8. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
9. In his description of the attack, Dirk notices something significant that could immeasurably assist the crew of the Martha Ann to prevent the boarding of the men from the sea. What is it and how could it be turned into an opportunity for the crew?
10. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dirk refers to the salvage operations on the Thresher, the Bluefin, the Scorpion, and the submarine F-4. What are these boats or ships and what happened to them? How are they relevant to the sinking (and raising) of the Starbuck?
Essay Topic 2
Review the excerpts in Chapter 2 with the knowledge from Chapter 8 that the log is not written by CDR Dupree. What are some oddities, some of them enumerated by ADM Hunter, that clearly show a lack of knowledge about the Navy, submarines, or Dupree, that would have triggered skepticism if not read with the preconceived notion that the log is authentic?
Essay Topic 3
ADM Hunter says, "I'll not confuse the issue with a personal problem," in response to Dirk's question as to whether he has informed the men plotting to blow up the seamount that his daughter is being held hostage there. How does this statement capture the essence of ADM Hunter's character throughout the book?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)