|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
2. What does Dirk omit from his report on the fight against Them in his hotel room?
3. How is Dirk's death intended to appear?
4. How many of "Them" are on the Starbuck according to SN Farris?
5. Who is Lavella?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
2. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
3. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
4. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the Martha Ann? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
5. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
6. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
7. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
8. In both Chapters 9 and 10, Dirk endeavors to get his way by assuring the Naval men that he "will take full responsibility." Why does this seem to be the easiest way for Dirk to gain their compliance?
9. Besides Dirk's lost love, what does Summer represent to the Navy and why would it have been important to rescue her?
10. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the Martha Ann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
ADM Hunter refers to the sinking of the submarine Tang during World War II. This is a real event. What happened? What is the relevance to the fate of the crew of the Tang to the fate of the crew of the Starbuck in Hunter's mind?
Essay Topic 2
Review the excerpts in Chapter 2 with the knowledge from Chapter 8 that the log is not written by CDR Dupree. What are some oddities, some of them enumerated by ADM Hunter, that clearly show a lack of knowledge about the Navy, submarines, or Dupree, that would have triggered skepticism if not read with the preconceived notion that the log is authentic?
Essay Topic 3
Carefully analyze the "real" condition of the Starbuck with respect to international maritime law. Whose waters is she sitting in and who can rightfully claim her? How do the laws of maritime salvage govern this kind of at-sea loss? Most importantly, how does this contribute to the urgency and top-secretiveness in the plot?
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)