|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shark meets Al as he speeds towards the surface with Adrian?
2. What is the Joint Chiefs' decision on what to do with the Starbuck?
3. What smell does Dirk suddenly recognize as the fog begins to envelop the Martha Ann?
4. What does Roblemann invent?
5. What replacement weapon does Dirk grab after having expended his single shot weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
2. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
3. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
4. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
5. How do Dirk and LCDR Boland differ over how to wage battle against the men from the sea as they face impending attack on the Martha Ann?
6. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
7. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
8. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the Martha Ann?
9. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
10. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
ADM Hunter's view of and reactions to Dirk will drive certain parts of the plot, especially towards the end of the book. How does ADM Hunter's view of Dirk change throughout the book? Cite specific examples of change moments. Where or to what do these changes lead?
Essay Topic 2
Singularly absent from the entire book is any elaboration on these "men from the sea." The closest explanation of any aspect of them is Dirk's comments: "Even your hired help wander around like robots" and "your entire organization is built on blind obedience to you [Delphi]." There is no comment on where they came from, who they were, or what kind of man might have volunteered to abandon his above-sea life to have a gill surgically attached to his chest and become a mass murderer. Analyze the concept of this underwater army and who they are, or might have been.
Essay Topic 3
As the Martha Ann gets underway, headed towards the Pacific Vortex, Dirk reflects on the unusual group of people he has been mixed up within the last two days. What do his reflections on these people reveal about his thoughts on this mission? Do his summaries of the people seem to be roughly accurate?
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)