|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Summer?
2. How does Dirk discover LT March after he realizes they are not alone on the submarine?
3. What is holding the Starbuck down?
4. Who or what is Mad Chopper?
5. What does Dirk discover on the bodies of two the men from the sea that he kills?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Dirk and LCDR Boland differ over how to wage battle against the men from the sea as they face impending attack on the Martha Ann?
2. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
3. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
4. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the Martha Ann?
5. What are ADM Hunter and Dirk Pitt's differing opinions on Adrian?
6. What is Delphi's plan for the Starbuck?
7. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
8. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
9. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
10. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
ADM Hunter says, "I'll not confuse the issue with a personal problem," in response to Dirk's question as to whether he has informed the men plotting to blow up the seamount that his daughter is being held hostage there. How does this statement capture the essence of ADM Hunter's character throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Dirk refers to the salvage operations on the Thresher, the Bluefin, the Scorpion, and the submarine F-4. What are these boats or ships and what happened to them? How are they relevant to the sinking (and raising) of the Starbuck?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Captain Orl Cinana. Captain Cinana's reaction to Dirk when he arrives in ADM Hunter's office for the first time is somewhat markedly different from the attitudes of the others yet changes that same evening at the bar. Identify other inconsistencies in Cinana's character and identify how they fit with the revelation of Cinana's actual role in the plot.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)