|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adrian escape when the men from the sea come ashore and kill her friend?
2. How does SN Farris react to the battle raging around him on the Martha Ann?
3. What new ship do Dirk and Al discover while on their underwater mission?
4. How many of "Them" are on the Starbuck according to SN Farris?
5. When Dirk meets Delphi in his underwater caves, how much time is left before the seamount explodes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his description of the attack, Dirk notices something significant that could immeasurably assist the crew of the Martha Ann to prevent the boarding of the men from the sea. What is it and how could it be turned into an opportunity for the crew?
2. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
3. Besides Dirk's lost love, what does Summer represent to the Navy and why would it have been important to rescue her?
4. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
5. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
6. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
7. What are ADM Hunter and Dirk Pitt's differing opinions on Adrian?
8. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
9. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
10. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
ADM Hunter's view of and reactions to Dirk will drive certain parts of the plot, especially towards the end of the book. How does ADM Hunter's view of Dirk change throughout the book? Cite specific examples of change moments. Where or to what do these changes lead?
Essay Topic 2
ADM Sandecker tells Dirk, "an enemy agent wouldn't have to use muscle [on you]. They'd simply send their most seductive Mata Hari to the nearest bar and let you pick her up." What does this statement mean and what is the inference being made about Dirk's character? Analyze this statement in the context of all you know about the character of Dirk Pitt. Does it seem to be a fair or consistent statement? Provide evidence from the book to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Dirk refers to the salvage operations on the Thresher, the Bluefin, the Scorpion, and the submarine F-4. What are these boats or ships and what happened to them? How are they relevant to the sinking (and raising) of the Starbuck?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)