|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the radio communications between Big Daddy and the Kid?
2. What does Dirk determine is the real cause of the school of fish detected by the Martha Ann's sensors?
3. What threat does Dirk face being left behind as as the others ride the air bubble from the Starbuck's escape hatch to the surface?
4. How does the Starbuck break free of the ocean floor?
5. Who is Summer's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
2. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
3. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
4. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
5. In both Chapters 9 and 10, Dirk endeavors to get his way by assuring the Naval men that he "will take full responsibility." Why does this seem to be the easiest way for Dirk to gain their compliance?
6. What is Delphi's plan for the Starbuck?
7. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
8. Besides Dirk's lost love, what does Summer represent to the Navy and why would it have been important to rescue her?
9. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
10. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the Martha Ann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
ADM Hunter refers to the sinking of the submarine Tang during World War II. This is a real event. What happened? What is the relevance to the fate of the crew of the Tang to the fate of the crew of the Starbuck in Hunter's mind?
Essay Topic 2
Review the excerpts in Chapter 2 with the knowledge from Chapter 8 that the log is not written by CDR Dupree. What are some oddities, some of them enumerated by ADM Hunter, that clearly show a lack of knowledge about the Navy, submarines, or Dupree, that would have triggered skepticism if not read with the preconceived notion that the log is authentic?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Captain Orl Cinana. Captain Cinana's reaction to Dirk when he arrives in ADM Hunter's office for the first time is somewhat markedly different from the attitudes of the others yet changes that same evening at the bar. Identify other inconsistencies in Cinana's character and identify how they fit with the revelation of Cinana's actual role in the plot.
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)