|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the radio communications between Big Daddy and the Kid?
2. How many men escape with Dirk on the helicopter from the Martha Ann?
3. The Martha Ann has 20 feet of freeboard, making attack from the surface difficult according to LCDR Boland. What is freeboard?
4. Why does Delphi let SN Farris live?
5. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides Dirk's lost love, what does Summer represent to the Navy and why would it have been important to rescue her?
2. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
3. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
4. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
5. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
6. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
7. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the Martha Ann? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
8. What are ADM Hunter and Dirk Pitt's differing opinions on Adrian?
9. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
10. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Singularly absent from the entire book is any elaboration on these "men from the sea." The closest explanation of any aspect of them is Dirk's comments: "Even your hired help wander around like robots" and "your entire organization is built on blind obedience to you [Delphi]." There is no comment on where they came from, who they were, or what kind of man might have volunteered to abandon his above-sea life to have a gill surgically attached to his chest and become a mass murderer. Analyze the concept of this underwater army and who they are, or might have been.
Essay Topic 2
Dirk Pitt's National Underwater and Marine Agency actually exists. Clive Cussler founded it and it is run by himself and his son. What are the differences between the real NUMA and Dirk Pitt's NUMA? How are the character of Dirk Pitt and his NUMA representative of perhaps a deep seeded fantasy for the author, things he would really like to do and have exist? Are perhaps some of the events in the story autobiographical or merely a dream?
Essay Topic 3
Part of the significance of the Starbuck to the Navy in Pacific Vortex! is her nuclear engineering and capability. Describe what nuclear power means to a submarine. What advantages does it give to a Naval submarine? How does this factor in to the various plot elements (concerns about operating the sub, condition of the sub, allowing her to sit, allowing her to be found by others, attempting to destroy her, etc.)?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)