Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dirk's new assignment now that he has read the submarine log and reported it?
2. What is unusual about the security on the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
3. What unusual equipment does LT Stanley sight on the first wreck that the <I>Martha Ann</I> discovers?
4. Who is Dirk Pitt's father?
5. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the <I>Starbuck</I> is last reported?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pitt know that the <I>Martha Ann</I> is out of radio contact with the world?
2. What is a seamount?
3. Why is the <I>Starbuck</I>'s last reported position Top Secret information?
4. Dirk notes some distinct oddities about the <I>Starbuck</I>'s final resting place and the condition. Describe what these oddities mean.
5. Acting on a hunch, Dirk goes to the Polynesian history museum to visit a friend well versed in the history and culture of the Hawaiian and Pacific Islands. Why?
6. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
7. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
8. What two things does the receptionist at ADM Hunter's office assume of Dirk Pitt when he arrives in his bathing suit?
9. What are the different mysteries or questions that ADM Hunter enumerates as he reads the log?
10. What is a possible explanation for the food being gone after only five days? (Remember ADM Hunter makes it clear that they recently left port and should have enough for the entire crew for 90 days.)
Essay Topic 1
Quote from CDR Burdette Denver: "Piracy on the high seas went out with the manufacture of cutlasses." Is this actually a true statement? Is piracy a possible or probable explanation for the Pacific Vortex? Provide evidence both from the book and from independent research to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
ADM Sandecker tells Dirk, "an enemy agent wouldn't have to use muscle [on you]. They'd simply send their most seductive Mata Hari to the nearest bar and let you pick her up." What does this statement mean and what is the inference being made about Dirk's character? Analyze this statement in the context of all you know about the character of Dirk Pitt. Does it seem to be a fair or consistent statement? Provide evidence from the book to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Dirk refers to the salvage operations on the Thresher, the Bluefin, the Scorpion, and the submarine F-4. What are these boats or ships and what happened to them? How are they relevant to the sinking (and raising) of the Starbuck?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)