|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does ADM Hunter think the crew could have still escaped and survived?
2. What is Barf the Magic Dragon?
3. How many consonants does the Hawaiian language have?
4. What smell is associated with the attack on the Lillie Marlene?
5. When is strict radio silence imposed for a US Navy submarine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Starbuck's last reported position Top Secret information?
2. How does Cussler describe ADM Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter that makes him seem like a likely person to work with Dirk Pitt?
3. Why is the Martha Ann disguised to look like a rust-bucket merchant ship?
4. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
5. What are some ways the Pacific Vortex is different from the Bermuda Triangle and other legendary danger areas?
6. What is a seamount?
7. Why is Dirk's helicopter a necessary component of the crew on the Martha Ann?
8. ADM Hunter refers to CDR Dupree as having a reputation for a computer-like mind. Going back to the prologue, what are some statements that support this view of Hunter's? (Dupree refers to "Annapolis." What does he mean by that?)
9. Boland refers to himself as "the skipper" of the Martha Ann. What is a skipper?
10. Why is ADM Hunter taking the step of having Dirk detailed officially to the 101st Salvage Fleet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Review the excerpts in Chapter 2 with the knowledge from Chapter 8 that the log is not written by CDR Dupree. What are some oddities, some of them enumerated by ADM Hunter, that clearly show a lack of knowledge about the Navy, submarines, or Dupree, that would have triggered skepticism if not read with the preconceived notion that the log is authentic?
Essay Topic 2
ADM Sandecker tells Dirk, "an enemy agent wouldn't have to use muscle [on you]. They'd simply send their most seductive Mata Hari to the nearest bar and let you pick her up." What does this statement mean and what is the inference being made about Dirk's character? Analyze this statement in the context of all you know about the character of Dirk Pitt. Does it seem to be a fair or consistent statement? Provide evidence from the book to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Captain Orl Cinana. Captain Cinana's reaction to Dirk when he arrives in ADM Hunter's office for the first time is somewhat markedly different from the attitudes of the others yet changes that same evening at the bar. Identify other inconsistencies in Cinana's character and identify how they fit with the revelation of Cinana's actual role in the plot.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)