|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the city of origin painted on the <I>Martha Ann's</I> hull?
2. Why is the <I>Starbuck's</I> final position report physically impossible?
3. What are the two most important things about the sub's condition that Dirk reports to Boland?
4. How many ships have gone missing where the <I>Starbuck</I> is last reported?
5. What does Dirk wear to report for his first day of duty with ADM Hunter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a seamount?
2. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
3. In the hotel bar in Chapter 3, Adrian makes the statement: "Considering your amateur standing and less than mediocre talents, you're vastly overpriced. Whom is she speaking to and what does she mean?
4. Dirk notes some distinct oddities about the <I>Starbuck</I>'s final resting place and the condition. Describe what these oddities mean.
5. ADM Hunter refers to CDR Dupree as having a reputation for a computer-like mind. Going back to the prologue, what are some statements that support this view of Hunter's? (Dupree refers to "Annapolis." What does he mean by that?)
6. What is the significance of the Lillie Marlene?
7. CDR Dupree says he ordered, "All ballast blown and hard rise on the planes." What are planes in reference to a submarine?
8. Other than the submarine not being wholly flooded, what is the single most important fact that Dirk relays over the <I>Starbuck</I>'s radio to the <I>Martha Ann</I> and why is it of the utmost significance?
9. Why is it important for ADM Hunter's men to get to the accident site when the gray van runs off the road before the Honolulu police?
10. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
Essay Topic 1
Quote from CDR Burdette Denver: "Piracy on the high seas went out with the manufacture of cutlasses." Is this actually a true statement? Is piracy a possible or probable explanation for the Pacific Vortex? Provide evidence both from the book and from independent research to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Everything in the submarine seems to indicate that someone is actively maintaining the vessel or at least "picked up afterwards." It seems an obvious inference that there might be someone still on the ship. Yet Dirk and LT March press ahead assuming it is a ghost ship. What might be some reasons for that? Psychological? Other evidence to the contrary? Stubbornness or at least reckless disregard for prudence?
Essay Topic 3
ADM Sandecker tells Dirk, "an enemy agent wouldn't have to use muscle [on you]. They'd simply send their most seductive Mata Hari to the nearest bar and let you pick her up." What does this statement mean and what is the inference being made about Dirk's character? Analyze this statement in the context of all you know about the character of Dirk Pitt. Does it seem to be a fair or consistent statement? Provide evidence from the book to support your conclusions.
This section contains 2,454 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)