|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Chief Director of the Naval Underwater and Marine Agency?
2. How long does it take Dirk to recover himself after Summer attacks him and he knocks her out enough to get them both back to his hotel room?
3. What words does LCDR Boland have tattooed on his arm?
4. What is a "fo'c's'le"?
5. What about the Starbuck's engine room strikes Dirk and LT March as suspicious?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the different mysteries or questions that ADM Hunter enumerates as he reads the log?
2. Boland refers to himself as "the skipper" of the Martha Ann. What is a skipper?
3. What is the significance of there not being any paper in the crew's lounge area of the Starbuck?
4. What are some ways the Pacific Vortex is different from the Bermuda Triangle and other legendary danger areas?
5. What is a possible explanation for the food being gone after only five days? (Remember ADM Hunter makes it clear that they recently left port and should have enough for the entire crew for 90 days.)
6. Why is the Martha Ann disguised to look like a rust-bucket merchant ship?
7. Why is ADM Hunter taking the step of having Dirk detailed officially to the 101st Salvage Fleet?
8. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
9. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
10. Other than the submarine not being wholly flooded, what is the single most important fact that Dirk relays over the Starbuck's radio to the Martha Ann and why is it of the utmost significance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Captain Orl Cinana. Captain Cinana's reaction to Dirk when he arrives in ADM Hunter's office for the first time is somewhat markedly different from the attitudes of the others yet changes that same evening at the bar. Identify other inconsistencies in Cinana's character and identify how they fit with the revelation of Cinana's actual role in the plot.
Essay Topic 2
LCDR Paul Boland and Dirk Pitt have other differences besides personality, one of them being background. Dirk accuses Boland of being unperceptive as to the oddities of the condition of the Starbuck. How do their very different backgrounds affect their perception of "important details" and why is Boland more likely to overlook the key factors in the discovery of the Starbuck?
Essay Topic 3
ADM Hunter refers to the sinking of the submarine Tang during World War II. This is a real event. What happened? What is the relevance to the fate of the crew of the Tang to the fate of the crew of the Starbuck in Hunter's mind?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)