|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to CDR Dupree's log, which compartment in the sub is the only compartment breached?
2. Why does ADM Hunter think CDR Dupree ordered his captain's log delivered to him?
3. Who is Adrian Hunter?
4. What is Dirk's psychological assessment of sailors in relation to the intention of the staging of the Lillie Marlene?
5. What is the nickname of the area where the Starbuck went missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Starbuck's last reported position Top Secret information?
2. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
3. What are the different mysteries or questions that ADM Hunter enumerates as he reads the log?
4. Other than the submarine not being wholly flooded, what is the single most important fact that Dirk relays over the Starbuck's radio to the Martha Ann and why is it of the utmost significance?
5. In the hotel bar in Chapter 3, Adrian makes the statement: "Considering your amateur standing and less than mediocre talents, you're vastly overpriced. Whom is she speaking to and what does she mean?
6. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
7. Cussler gives a good description of rip tides after Dirk has swum out beyond the breakers at Kaena Point. Describe them, why they are dangerous and explain how best to swim through them if caught in one.
8. What is the significance of the Lillie Marlene?
9. How are the dead bodies described on the Lillie Marlene? How does this description contribute to the myth of the Pacific Vortex?
10. A gray Dodge van pursues Dirk and the driver of the van begins shooting at Dirk before attempting to run him off the road. Unravel the mystery. Who has the motive, knowledge, and opportunity to tip off "Them," whoever "They" might be, to Dirk's presence and interested activity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
LCDR Paul Boland and Dirk Pitt have other differences besides personality, one of them being background. Dirk accuses Boland of being unperceptive as to the oddities of the condition of the Starbuck. How do their very different backgrounds affect their perception of "important details" and why is Boland more likely to overlook the key factors in the discovery of the Starbuck?
Essay Topic 2
ADM Hunter says, "I'll not confuse the issue with a personal problem," in response to Dirk's question as to whether he has informed the men plotting to blow up the seamount that his daughter is being held hostage there. How does this statement capture the essence of ADM Hunter's character throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
As the Martha Ann gets underway, headed towards the Pacific Vortex, Dirk reflects on the unusual group of people he has been mixed up within the last two days. What do his reflections on these people reveal about his thoughts on this mission? Do his summaries of the people seem to be roughly accurate?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)