|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says to Dirk: "If you keep staring at me, I'll be forced to charge you admission."?
2. Who is Dirk initially talking to in the bar at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel?
3. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
4. What color are Dirk's eyes?
5. Whose responsibility is it to plot the new search area for the Martha Ann after Dirk's interpretation of the evidence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cussler also provides good information about shark behavior and risks. What is it?
2. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
3. What two things does the receptionist at ADM Hunter's office assume of Dirk Pitt when he arrives in his bathing suit?
4. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
5. Dirk does not appreciate ADM Hunter's highhanded move to take control of his [Dirk's] life by having him detailed to his [ADM Hunter's] command. How is he "persuaded" into it?
6. A gray Dodge van pursues Dirk and the driver of the van begins shooting at Dirk before attempting to run him off the road. Unravel the mystery. Who has the motive, knowledge, and opportunity to tip off "Them," whoever "They" might be, to Dirk's presence and interested activity?
7. How does Dirk determine that Hunter's crew has been searching the wrong area?
8. What is a seamount?
9. Why is ADM Hunter taking the step of having Dirk detailed officially to the 101st Salvage Fleet?
10. ADM Hunter refers to CDR Dupree as having a reputation for a computer-like mind. Going back to the prologue, what are some statements that support this view of Hunter's? (Dupree refers to "Annapolis." What does he mean by that?)
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
ADM Hunter's view of and reactions to Dirk will drive certain parts of the plot, especially towards the end of the book. How does ADM Hunter's view of Dirk change throughout the book? Cite specific examples of change moments. Where or to what do these changes lead?
Essay Topic 2
Singularly absent from the entire book is any elaboration on these "men from the sea." The closest explanation of any aspect of them is Dirk's comments: "Even your hired help wander around like robots" and "your entire organization is built on blind obedience to you [Delphi]." There is no comment on where they came from, who they were, or what kind of man might have volunteered to abandon his above-sea life to have a gill surgically attached to his chest and become a mass murderer. Analyze the concept of this underwater army and who they are, or might have been.
Essay Topic 3
Carefully analyze the "real" condition of the Starbuck with respect to international maritime law. Whose waters is she sitting in and who can rightfully claim her? How do the laws of maritime salvage govern this kind of at-sea loss? Most importantly, how does this contribute to the urgency and top-secretiveness in the plot?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)