|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dirk decide who to give the manuscript to?
2. How long can the reactor continue to run unattended?
3. How does Admiral Hunter know that Dirk has never served on a submarine?
4. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
5. Which seamen could have survived immediately after "the disaster" befell the Starbuck according to the logbook?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
2. ADM Hunter refers to CDR Dupree as having a reputation for a computer-like mind. Going back to the prologue, what are some statements that support this view of Hunter's? (Dupree refers to "Annapolis." What does he mean by that?)
3. Dirk notes some distinct oddities about the Starbuck's final resting place and the condition. Describe what these oddities mean.
4. How are the dead bodies described on the Lillie Marlene? How does this description contribute to the myth of the Pacific Vortex?
5. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
6. Why is it important for ADM Hunter's men to get to the accident site when the gray van runs off the road before the Honolulu police?
7. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
8. What is the significance of the Lillie Marlene?
9. What is a seamount?
10. What is the significance of there not being any paper in the crew's lounge area of the Starbuck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part of the significance of the Starbuck to the Navy in Pacific Vortex! is her nuclear engineering and capability. Describe what nuclear power means to a submarine. What advantages does it give to a Naval submarine? How does this factor in to the various plot elements (concerns about operating the sub, condition of the sub, allowing her to sit, allowing her to be found by others, attempting to destroy her, etc.)?
Essay Topic 2
Dirk refers to the salvage operations on the Thresher, the Bluefin, the Scorpion, and the submarine F-4. What are these boats or ships and what happened to them? How are they relevant to the sinking (and raising) of the Starbuck?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the concept the title embodies. Things to consider in your response: What is the REAL "pacific vortex"? How does it compare to the Pacific Vortex that Cussler describes? How does it compare to the Bermuda Triangle? Is "vortex" a good name for or description of the activities at Delphi's seamount? In other words, have the sailors in the book come up with an appropriate name? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)