|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By ADM Hunter's estimation, how deep is the water where the Starbuck sinks?
2. What is Dirk's official professional title?
3. What does "bare steerageway" mean?
4. Why is diving on a wrecked submarine different from a wrecked ship for Dirk?
5. Why does ADM Hunter think CDR Dupree ordered his captain's log delivered to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Capt. Cinana quotes a Naval saying: "Those that lie deep in the Atlantic Sea Are recalled by shrines, wreathes and poetry, But those who lie in Pacific Sea Lie forgotten for all eternity." What does this mean?
2. Dirk notes some distinct oddities about the Starbuck's final resting place and the condition. Describe what these oddities mean.
3. Acting on a hunch, Dirk goes to the Polynesian history museum to visit a friend well versed in the history and culture of the Hawaiian and Pacific Islands. Why?
4. What are some ways the Pacific Vortex is different from the Bermuda Triangle and other legendary danger areas?
5. What is the significance of there not being any paper in the crew's lounge area of the Starbuck?
6. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
7. What is a possible explanation for the food being gone after only five days? (Remember ADM Hunter makes it clear that they recently left port and should have enough for the entire crew for 90 days.)
8. ADM Hunter refers to CDR Dupree as having a reputation for a computer-like mind. Going back to the prologue, what are some statements that support this view of Hunter's? (Dupree refers to "Annapolis." What does he mean by that?)
9. Cussler gives a good description of rip tides after Dirk has swum out beyond the breakers at Kaena Point. Describe them, why they are dangerous and explain how best to swim through them if caught in one.
10. Why is the Martha Ann disguised to look like a rust-bucket merchant ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
ADM Hunter refers to the sinking of the submarine Tang during World War II. This is a real event. What happened? What is the relevance to the fate of the crew of the Tang to the fate of the crew of the Starbuck in Hunter's mind?
Essay Topic 2
ADM Sandecker tells Dirk, "an enemy agent wouldn't have to use muscle [on you]. They'd simply send their most seductive Mata Hari to the nearest bar and let you pick her up." What does this statement mean and what is the inference being made about Dirk's character? Analyze this statement in the context of all you know about the character of Dirk Pitt. Does it seem to be a fair or consistent statement? Provide evidence from the book to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Everything in the submarine seems to indicate that someone is actively maintaining the vessel or at least "picked up afterwards." It seems an obvious inference that there might be someone still on the ship. Yet Dirk and LT March press ahead assuming it is a ghost ship. What might be some reasons for that? Psychological? Other evidence to the contrary? Stubbornness or at least reckless disregard for prudence?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)