|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Adrian Hunter?
2. What is the first year of record for missing ships in the Pacific Vortex?
3. Why does ADM Hunter think CDR Dupree ordered his captain's log delivered to him?
4. What unique feature of the Martha Ann's navigational equipment makes her totally crew-independent?
5. Why does Dirk stop to talk to George Papaaloa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
2. Why is Dirk's helicopter a necessary component of the crew on the Martha Ann?
3. In the hotel bar in Chapter 3, Adrian makes the statement: "Considering your amateur standing and less than mediocre talents, you're vastly overpriced. Whom is she speaking to and what does she mean?
4. What is the significance of the Lillie Marlene?
5. Acting on a hunch, Dirk goes to the Polynesian history museum to visit a friend well versed in the history and culture of the Hawaiian and Pacific Islands. Why?
6. How does Cussler describe ADM Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter that makes him seem like a likely person to work with Dirk Pitt?
7. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
8. In this first book of the Dirk Pitt series written by Clive Cussler, Cussler immediately begins giving hints as to Dirk's colorful personality. What are some of the incidents or statements in the first chapter that illustrate Dirk's character?
9. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
10. How are the dead bodies described on the Lillie Marlene? How does this description contribute to the myth of the Pacific Vortex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
ADM Sandecker tells Dirk, "an enemy agent wouldn't have to use muscle [on you]. They'd simply send their most seductive Mata Hari to the nearest bar and let you pick her up." What does this statement mean and what is the inference being made about Dirk's character? Analyze this statement in the context of all you know about the character of Dirk Pitt. Does it seem to be a fair or consistent statement? Provide evidence from the book to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Dirk Pitt's National Underwater and Marine Agency actually exists. Clive Cussler founded it and it is run by himself and his son. What are the differences between the real NUMA and Dirk Pitt's NUMA? How are the character of Dirk Pitt and his NUMA representative of perhaps a deep seeded fantasy for the author, things he would really like to do and have exist? Are perhaps some of the events in the story autobiographical or merely a dream?
Essay Topic 3
Everything in the submarine seems to indicate that someone is actively maintaining the vessel or at least "picked up afterwards." It seems an obvious inference that there might be someone still on the ship. Yet Dirk and LT March press ahead assuming it is a ghost ship. What might be some reasons for that? Psychological? Other evidence to the contrary? Stubbornness or at least reckless disregard for prudence?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)