Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk start carrying before when he realizes the danger he has put himself in before reporting to Admiral Hunter?
2. How does Dirk decide who to give the manuscript to?
3. What or who is <I>Andrei Vyborg</I>?
4. How long does the Navy extend searches for its missing vessels or crew?
5. What words does LCDR Boland have tattooed on his arm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the <I>Starbuck</I>'s last reported position Top Secret information?
2. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
3. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
4. Cussler gives a good description of rip tides after Dirk has swum out beyond the breakers at Kaena Point. Describe them, why they are dangerous and explain how best to swim through them if caught in one.
5. In this first book of the Dirk Pitt series written by Clive Cussler, Cussler immediately begins giving hints as to Dirk's colorful personality. What are some of the incidents or statements in the first chapter that illustrate Dirk's character?
6. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
7. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the <I>Martha Ann</I>? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
8. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
9. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
10. How does Dirk determine that Hunter's crew has been searching the wrong area?
How would you characterize Cussler's writing style in Pacific Vortex? Analyze all of the elements of writing style including the perspective, bias, structure, diction and syntax, imagery, etc. Is this a laudable first effort on Cussler's part? Is there perhaps a stylistic reason it is not the first published book?
Pacific Vortex! is the first Dirk Pitt novel Clive Cussler wrote (even though it is published much later, after several other Pitt adventures) and indeed it shows signs of being a novice attempt. The character development is somewhat sporadic, there are questions or plot mysteries that are later left unanswered and some scenes that almost seem extraneous which are only loosely tied together by the final explanation. Characterize some of these "novice" elements using firm examples from the book. At the end, is there anything you wondered, "yes, but what about...?" How could Cussler have woven these plot threads or characters more tightly into the fabric of the story?
Everything in the submarine seems to indicate that someone is actively maintaining the vessel or at least "picked up afterwards." It seems an obvious inference that there might be someone still on the ship. Yet Dirk and LT March press ahead assuming it is a ghost ship. What might be some reasons for that? Psychological? Other evidence to the contrary? Stubbornness or at least reckless disregard for prudence?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)