Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dirk's new assignment now that he has read the submarine log and reported it?
2. What is unusual about the security on the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
3. What unusual equipment does LT Stanley sight on the first wreck that the <I>Martha Ann</I> discovers?
4. Who is Dirk Pitt's father?
5. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the <I>Starbuck</I> is last reported?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pitt know that the <I>Martha Ann</I> is out of radio contact with the world?
2. What is a seamount?
3. Why is the <I>Starbuck</I>'s last reported position Top Secret information?
4. Dirk notes some distinct oddities about the <I>Starbuck</I>'s final resting place and the condition. Describe what these oddities mean.
5. Acting on a hunch, Dirk goes to the Polynesian history museum to visit a friend well versed in the history and culture of the Hawaiian and Pacific Islands. Why?
6. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
7. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
8. What two things does the receptionist at ADM Hunter's office assume of Dirk Pitt when he arrives in his bathing suit?
9. What are the different mysteries or questions that ADM Hunter enumerates as he reads the log?
10. What is a possible explanation for the food being gone after only five days? (Remember ADM Hunter makes it clear that they recently left port and should have enough for the entire crew for 90 days.)
Essay Topic 1
Everything in the submarine seems to indicate that someone is actively maintaining the vessel or at least "picked up afterwards." It seems an obvious inference that there might be someone still on the ship. Yet Dirk and LT March press ahead assuming it is a ghost ship. What might be some reasons for that? Psychological? Other evidence to the contrary? Stubbornness or at least reckless disregard for prudence?
Essay Topic 2
Singularly absent from the entire book is any elaboration on these "men from the sea." The closest explanation of any aspect of them is Dirk's comments: "Even your hired help wander around like robots" and "your entire organization is built on blind obedience to you [Delphi]." There is no comment on where they came from, who they were, or what kind of man might have volunteered to abandon his above-sea life to have a gill surgically attached to his chest and become a mass murderer. Analyze the concept of this underwater army and who they are, or might have been.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Captain Orl Cinana. Captain Cinana's reaction to Dirk when he arrives in ADM Hunter's office for the first time is somewhat markedly different from the attitudes of the others yet changes that same evening at the bar. Identify other inconsistencies in Cinana's character and identify how they fit with the revelation of Cinana's actual role in the plot.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)