|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the manuscript, excerpts of which are transcribed in Chapter 2?
2. What is the radio code for having found the Starbuck?
3. How long has it been since Dirk has had a vacation?
4. What is the weather as the Martha Ann gets underway?
5. What is the nickname of the area where the Starbuck went missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cussler also provides good information about shark behavior and risks. What is it?
2. In the hotel bar in Chapter 3, Adrian makes the statement: "Considering your amateur standing and less than mediocre talents, you're vastly overpriced. Whom is she speaking to and what does she mean?
3. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
4. ADM Hunter refers to CDR Dupree as having a reputation for a computer-like mind. Going back to the prologue, what are some statements that support this view of Hunter's? (Dupree refers to "Annapolis." What does he mean by that?)
5. A gray Dodge van pursues Dirk and the driver of the van begins shooting at Dirk before attempting to run him off the road. Unravel the mystery. Who has the motive, knowledge, and opportunity to tip off "Them," whoever "They" might be, to Dirk's presence and interested activity?
6. Acting on a hunch, Dirk goes to the Polynesian history museum to visit a friend well versed in the history and culture of the Hawaiian and Pacific Islands. Why?
7. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
8. How does Dirk determine that Hunter's crew has been searching the wrong area?
9. Why is ADM Hunter taking the step of having Dirk detailed officially to the 101st Salvage Fleet?
10. Why is the Starbuck's last reported position Top Secret information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
LCDR Paul Boland and Dirk Pitt have other differences besides personality, one of them being background. Dirk accuses Boland of being unperceptive as to the oddities of the condition of the Starbuck. How do their very different backgrounds affect their perception of "important details" and why is Boland more likely to overlook the key factors in the discovery of the Starbuck?
Essay Topic 2
How would you characterize Cussler's writing style in Pacific Vortex? Analyze all of the elements of writing style including the perspective, bias, structure, diction and syntax, imagery, etc. Is this a laudable first effort on Cussler's part? Is there perhaps a stylistic reason it is not the first published book?
Essay Topic 3
As the Martha Ann gets underway, headed towards the Pacific Vortex, Dirk reflects on the unusual group of people he has been mixed up within the last two days. What do his reflections on these people reveal about his thoughts on this mission? Do his summaries of the people seem to be roughly accurate?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)