|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two most important things about the sub's condition that Dirk reports to Boland?
2. What is the nickname of the area where the Starbuck went missing?
3. What does Dirk first do with the manuscript he finds?
4. Which seamen could have survived immediately after "the disaster" befell the Starbuck according to the logbook?
5. What does "bare steerageway" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dirk notes some distinct oddities about the Starbuck's final resting place and the condition. Describe what these oddities mean.
2. In this first book of the Dirk Pitt series written by Clive Cussler, Cussler immediately begins giving hints as to Dirk's colorful personality. What are some of the incidents or statements in the first chapter that illustrate Dirk's character?
3. What is the Fullerton Fracture Zone? Does it actually exist?
4. A gray Dodge van pursues Dirk and the driver of the van begins shooting at Dirk before attempting to run him off the road. Unravel the mystery. Who has the motive, knowledge, and opportunity to tip off "Them," whoever "They" might be, to Dirk's presence and interested activity?
5. ADM Hunter refers to CDR Dupree as having a reputation for a computer-like mind. Going back to the prologue, what are some statements that support this view of Hunter's? (Dupree refers to "Annapolis." What does he mean by that?)
6. Acting on a hunch, Dirk goes to the Polynesian history museum to visit a friend well versed in the history and culture of the Hawaiian and Pacific Islands. Why?
7. How does Cussler describe ADM Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter that makes him seem like a likely person to work with Dirk Pitt?
8. What is a possible explanation for the food being gone after only five days? (Remember ADM Hunter makes it clear that they recently left port and should have enough for the entire crew for 90 days.)
9. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
10. Dirk does not appreciate ADM Hunter's highhanded move to take control of his [Dirk's] life by having him detailed to his [ADM Hunter's] command. How is he "persuaded" into it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
LCDR Paul Boland and Dirk Pitt have other differences besides personality, one of them being background. Dirk accuses Boland of being unperceptive as to the oddities of the condition of the Starbuck. How do their very different backgrounds affect their perception of "important details" and why is Boland more likely to overlook the key factors in the discovery of the Starbuck?
Essay Topic 2
ADM Hunter refers to the sinking of the submarine Tang during World War II. This is a real event. What happened? What is the relevance to the fate of the crew of the Tang to the fate of the crew of the Starbuck in Hunter's mind?
Essay Topic 3
Review the excerpts in Chapter 2 with the knowledge from Chapter 8 that the log is not written by CDR Dupree. What are some oddities, some of them enumerated by ADM Hunter, that clearly show a lack of knowledge about the Navy, submarines, or Dupree, that would have triggered skepticism if not read with the preconceived notion that the log is authentic?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)