|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the Navy extend searches for its missing vessels or crew?
2. What is Dirk's psychological assessment of sailors in relation to the intention of the staging of the Lillie Marlene?
3. What are Boland's instructions upon hearing Dirk's message from the supposedly wrecked submarine?
4. Who is the author of the manuscript, excerpts of which are transcribed in Chapter 2?
5. Who does Dirk call first to report the incident with the gray van?
Short Essay Questions
1. A gray Dodge van pursues Dirk and the driver of the van begins shooting at Dirk before attempting to run him off the road. Unravel the mystery. Who has the motive, knowledge, and opportunity to tip off "Them," whoever "They" might be, to Dirk's presence and interested activity?
2. What is a possible explanation for the food being gone after only five days? (Remember ADM Hunter makes it clear that they recently left port and should have enough for the entire crew for 90 days.)
3. Why is the Starbuck's last reported position Top Secret information?
4. Other than the submarine not being wholly flooded, what is the single most important fact that Dirk relays over the Starbuck's radio to the Martha Ann and why is it of the utmost significance?
5. What is the significance of the Lillie Marlene?
6. What is the significance of there not being any paper in the crew's lounge area of the Starbuck?
7. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
8. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
9. What are some ways the Pacific Vortex is different from the Bermuda Triangle and other legendary danger areas?
10. Why is Dirk's helicopter a necessary component of the crew on the Martha Ann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Captain Orl Cinana. Captain Cinana's reaction to Dirk when he arrives in ADM Hunter's office for the first time is somewhat markedly different from the attitudes of the others yet changes that same evening at the bar. Identify other inconsistencies in Cinana's character and identify how they fit with the revelation of Cinana's actual role in the plot.
Essay Topic 2
ADM Hunter refers to the sinking of the submarine Tang during World War II. This is a real event. What happened? What is the relevance to the fate of the crew of the Tang to the fate of the crew of the Starbuck in Hunter's mind?
Essay Topic 3
Review the excerpts in Chapter 2 with the knowledge from Chapter 8 that the log is not written by CDR Dupree. What are some oddities, some of them enumerated by ADM Hunter, that clearly show a lack of knowledge about the Navy, submarines, or Dupree, that would have triggered skepticism if not read with the preconceived notion that the log is authentic?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)