|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the hull of the Starbuck?
2. Who is Adrian Hunter?
3. Why does Dirk take Summer back to his hotel room after he knocks her out?
4. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
5. Why doesn't Dirk want to leave the Martha Ann on the helicopter to go and get the salvage team?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
2. What are some ways the Pacific Vortex is different from the Bermuda Triangle and other legendary danger areas?
3. Dirk notes some distinct oddities about the Starbuck's final resting place and the condition. Describe what these oddities mean.
4. Boland refers to himself as "the skipper" of the Martha Ann. What is a skipper?
5. What is a possible explanation for the food being gone after only five days? (Remember ADM Hunter makes it clear that they recently left port and should have enough for the entire crew for 90 days.)
6. CDR Dupree says he ordered, "All ballast blown and hard rise on the planes." What are planes in reference to a submarine?
7. Dirk sees no need to show up on time to his "date" with ADM Hunter (to report for duty). How is this reflective of both Dirk's personality and his attitude towards ADM Hunter?
8. What is the Fullerton Fracture Zone? Does it actually exist?
9. Why is it important for ADM Hunter's men to get to the accident site when the gray van runs off the road before the Honolulu police?
10. Why is ADM Hunter taking the step of having Dirk detailed officially to the 101st Salvage Fleet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Captain Orl Cinana. Captain Cinana's reaction to Dirk when he arrives in ADM Hunter's office for the first time is somewhat markedly different from the attitudes of the others yet changes that same evening at the bar. Identify other inconsistencies in Cinana's character and identify how they fit with the revelation of Cinana's actual role in the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Part of the significance of the Starbuck to the Navy in Pacific Vortex! is her nuclear engineering and capability. Describe what nuclear power means to a submarine. What advantages does it give to a Naval submarine? How does this factor in to the various plot elements (concerns about operating the sub, condition of the sub, allowing her to sit, allowing her to be found by others, attempting to destroy her, etc.)?
Essay Topic 3
Quote from CDR Burdette Denver: "Piracy on the high seas went out with the manufacture of cutlasses." Is this actually a true statement? Is piracy a possible or probable explanation for the Pacific Vortex? Provide evidence both from the book and from independent research to support your claims.
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)